** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Ante-Post > Champions League 2014/15 Winner

[TABLE=class: odds bestOdds]

[TR=class: BO0] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FCE3E2, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]FC Bayern München[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO1] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FFF6F6, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]Real Madrid[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO0] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FCE3E2, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]FC Barcelona[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO1] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FFF6F6, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]Manchester City[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO0] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FCE3E2, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]Chelsea[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO1] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FFF6F6, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]Atlético de Madrid[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO0] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FCE3E2, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]Paris Saint-Germain[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO1] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FFF6F6, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]Juventus[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]

6452.gif

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO0] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FCE3E2, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]Liverpool[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO1] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FFF6F6, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]Arsenal[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO0] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FCE3E2, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]Borussia Dortmund[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO1] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FFF6F6, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]AS Monaco[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]

6385.gif

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO0] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FCE3E2, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]AS Roma[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO1] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FFF6F6, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]Benfica[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO0] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FCE3E2, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]Napoli[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO1] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FFF6F6, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]Athletic Bilbao[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd hover, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO0] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FCE3E2, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]FC Porto[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FCE3E2]

[/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: BO1] [TD=class: ChartFormButtons, bgcolor: #FFF6F6, align: center]chart_off.gif[/TD] [TD=class: Competitor, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]FC Schalke 04[/TD] [TD=class: bindHover cellOdd, bgcolor: #FFF6F6]

[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 1 month later...

Re: Ante-Post > Champions League 2014/15 Winner Borussia Dortmund to win the UCL @ 32 matched (betfair) > 2.5 % BR For me Dortmund is the value bet at this early stage of the proceedings. I was looking at the UCL winners market a few days ago and thought @ 25 they were decent value but a lot of ridiculous rumors in the past couple of days has pushed their price out even further. First off the speculation surrounding Hummels and Reus is largely fabricated by the media, Klopp himself has recently spoken about this: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/klopp-laughs-hummels-reus-speculation I find it highly unlikely that anymore of Dortmund’s key players will be sold this summer and if the worst comes to worst, Jurgen Klopp is a man that has everything catered for in advance. Because of the recent success in UCL and excellent coaching ability of Klopp, Dortmund has now established itself as a real force in European football. The markets are currently indicating they are on the wane but this is simply not the reality, in my view Dortmund are growing stronger, not weaker, as some would suggest. First off, people will point to the departure of Lewandowski, to loose your star centre-forward is indeed a blow but for me the replacement Klopp has bought in is really a great signing. I have been watching Ciro Immobile for the past few years and believe me, this guy is the real deal. In terms of talent and ability his game is extremely strong, his 22 goals in 33 games in Serie A last year shows how he is developing as a player and believe me that strike rate is no flash in the pan. He is still relatively young and not reached his peak yet, that’s why Dortmund is a great move for both him and the club as Klopp is the master of getting players to reach their full potential. It could be argued that Lewandowski would not have been so successful if he had not been coached by Klopp and for me Immobile is a bigger natural talent than Lewandowski so it’s going to be really interesting to see the Italian striker grow and develop this year. Obviously people will argue that Immobile has not played in the champions league before and of course I do not expect him to outshine his predecessor for 2014/2015 but make no mistake he will still be a huge threat and is a really great signing for Die Schwarzgelben. Upfront, Dortmund have also signed Adrian Ramos from Hertha Berlin, a player who knows how to find the back of the net and Dong-Won Ji who performed well at Ausburg last season. Combine these signings to Immobile and Aubameyang and we can see that Dortmund has added quality and depth to their forward options this year. Gifted German international Matthias Ginter boosts the defense, he joins Dortmund from Freiburg. Dortmund’s incoming transfers have been promising so far and it’s a strong indication that the club is once again ready to make a sustained assault on several fronts this time round. 2013/2014 was a problematic campaign with several key players injured at various points, hampering their attempts at silverware. It’s very important to note that Dortmund still managed to reach the quarter finals of the champions league with a patchwork side where they were knocked out by eventual winners Real Madrid. This was still an impressive showing and displays what a strong team Dortmund are under Klopp. For me Dortmund are 5th favorites for the competition this year. Only Real, Bayern, Barcelona and Chelsea should be fancied more. The fact that PSG are currently 13.5 is simply mind bending when you compare it to Dortmund’s price. The German club are being underestimated in my view and their current market valuation has become too big to ignore. I feel the time is right to invest in them now with the option of laying them off further down the line if necessary. All in all some nice value on the German club compared to their UCL rivals so I have no problems backing them at this point.

Re: Ante-Post > Champions League 2014/15 Winner Nice write up there mate, still think Hummels will end up at man utd but other than that I reckon the others will stay, if they can get a strong replacement for Hummels they should be up there! The price is pretty big aswel be better to get on it soon otherwise it'll only come in when the season starts and Dortmund get a few wins under there belt.

Re: Ante-Post > Champions League 2014/15 Winner

Borussia Dortmund to win the UCL @ 32 matched (betfair) > 2.5 % BR For me Dortmund is the value bet at this early stage of the proceedings. I was looking at the UCL winners market a few days ago and thought @ 25 they were decent value but a lot of ridiculous rumors in the past couple of days has pushed their price out even further. First off the speculation surrounding Hummels and Reus is largely fabricated by the media, Klopp himself has recently spoken about this: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/klopp-laughs-hummels-reus-speculation I find it highly unlikely that anymore of Dortmund’s key players will be sold this summer and if the worst comes to worst, Jurgen Klopp is a man that has everything catered for in advance. Because of the recent success in UCL and excellent coaching ability of Klopp, Dortmund has now established itself as a real force in European football. The markets are currently indicating they are on the wane but this is simply not the reality, in my view Dortmund are growing stronger, not weaker, as some would suggest. First off, people will point to the departure of Lewandowski, to loose your star centre-forward is indeed a blow but for me the replacement Klopp has bought in is really a great signing. I have been watching Ciro Immobile for the past few years and believe me, this guy is the real deal. In terms of talent and ability his game is extremely strong, his 22 goals in 33 games in Serie A last year shows how he is developing as a player and believe me that strike rate is no flash in the pan. He is still relatively young and not reached his peak yet, that’s why Dortmund is a great move for both him and the club as Klopp is the master of getting players to reach their full potential. It could be argued that Lewandowski would not have been so successful if he had not been coached by Klopp and for me Immobile is a bigger natural talent than Lewandowski so it’s going to be really interesting to see the Italian striker grow and develop this year. Obviously people will argue that Immobile has not played in the champions league before and of course I do not expect him to outshine his predecessor for 2014/2015 but make no mistake he will still be a huge threat and is a really great signing for Die Schwarzgelben. Upfront, Dortmund have also signed Adrian Ramos from Hertha Berlin, a player who knows how to find the back of the net and Dong-Won Ji who performed well at Ausburg last season. Combine these signings to Immobile and Aubameyang and we can see that Dortmund has added quality and depth to their forward options this year. Gifted German international Matthias Ginter boosts the defense, he joins Dortmund from Freiburg. Dortmund’s incoming transfers have been promising so far and it’s a strong indication that the club is once again ready to make a sustained assault on several fronts this time round. 2013/2014 was a problematic campaign with several key players injured at various points, hampering their attempts at silverware. It’s very important to note that Dortmund still managed to reach the quarter finals of the champions league with a patchwork side where they were knocked out by eventual winners Real Madrid. This was still an impressive showing and displays what a strong team Dortmund are under Klopp. For me Dortmund are 5th favorites for the competition this year. Only Real, Bayern, Barcelona and Chelsea should be fancied more. The fact that PSG are currently 13.5 is simply mind bending when you compare it to Dortmund’s price. The German club are being underestimated in my view and their current market valuation has become too big to ignore. I feel the time is right to invest in them now with the option of laying them off further down the line if necessary. All in all some nice value on the German club compared to their UCL rivals so I have no problems backing them at this point.
Agree they are the best 'value' bet by a distance, I was disappointed when I saw the 32 available with coral had gone and was surprised to still see them so high with betfair, and I've managed to get on at a good price. The injuries they suffered to so many key players last season were unbelievable at one point, they were massively struggling. I hope Hummels and Reus stay there, although I'm not convinced Hummels will. Just with the players they have returning from injury will make a massive difference, Jakub Blaszczykowski, Reus, Bender, Gundogan - all to come back from injury, all first team players. When they have everyone available they actually have a pretty big squad and two options in most positions. No-brainer for me, very confident they will make it through the group stage regardless of who they get. Borussia Dortmund - 38 & 36 - betfair - 5 Points

I hope Hummels and Reus stay there' date=' although I'm not convinced Hummels will. Just with the players they have returning from injury will make a massive difference, Jakub Blaszczykowski, Reus, Bender, Gundogan - all to come back from injury, all first team players. When they have everyone available they actually have a pretty big squad and two options in most positions. No-brainer for me, very confident they will make it through the group stage regardless of who they get.[/quote'] Hummels and Reus are ofcourse important players but this is the thing I did not really touch on with my post: Dortmund under Klopp are simply not a 1 or 2 man team, even if they lost those players you'd still fancy them to qualify from the group stage and progress in the tournament. They really are a proper team and will always be a big threat in the CL despite key absences - as last season proved. Anyways mate you've done well to get on them @ 38 & 36, price on betfair is still crazy and offers great value.

• 1 month later...

Re: Ante-Post > Champions League 2014/15 Winner 3pts Chelsea to win Champions League 7/1 Paddy Power Chelsea have a wonderful record in Europe in recent seasons and if they had a decent striker on their books last season it is easy to think they could be the champions of Europe right now. In the end they were undone by Atletico Madrid in the semi final but they’ve been and raided that side for a star striker and in Diego Costa they now have what they’ve been missing. The spine of this Chelsea side is arguably stronger than ever now and when you add in the ability and nous of Jose Mourinho on the sidelines and his excellent record in the tournament it isn’t hard to see Chelsea going all the way this season. 1pt ew A.Madrid to win Champions League 25/1 William Hill (1/2 1-2) Atletico Madrid were deserved finalists last year and were seconds away from the holy grail. They’ve lost a few players since then but it hasn’t stopped them beating Real Madrid already this season and winning the Spanish Super Cup against Real Madrid. They have a work ethic and an organisation which is matched by few and Mario Mandzukic replaces Diego Costa pretty well. Diego Simeone’s men will have all the motivation they need having gone so close last season and at 25/1 they look a touch too big especially as they should win their group. 0.5pts ew Porto to win Champions League 66/1 Bet365 (1/2 1-2) Porto are another side who look a little bit too big to me. They’re in a group they should win and have made a good start to the season. They have an attacking core which stands up to most in the competition and they’ve begun the campaign very strongly defensively so the former winners could be ready for another huge run in a tournament which they know how to win. Portuguese football on the whole could be on the decline after a wretched World Cup and defeat to Albania recently but this Porto side could be going the other way and look far too big at 66/1. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/champions-league-betting-chelsea-can-go-two-better-than-last-year

Re: Ante-Post > Champions League 2014/15 Winner 1pt ew D.Costa Top Goalscorer 20/1 William Hill (1/4 1-4) That man is Diego Costa. He was the third highest scorer for Atletico Madrid in this competition last year and he’s already shown he has fitted into Chelsea’s system well with an explosive start to the season. Chelsea do create a whole host of chances and with Costa very much the sole man through the middle he is likely to have the opportunity to convert a large number of them. With the likes of Hazard, Willian, Fabregas and Oscar supplying him the Spanish star shouldn’t go short of chances and he can land the top scorer honours should Chelsea go as deep as anticipated. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/champions-league-betting-diego-costa-can-lead-the-goal-charts-this-season

• 2 months later...

Borussia Dortmund to win the UCL @ 32 matched (betfair) > 2.5 % BR
So we've completed the group phase, Dortmund have topped their mini league and will avoid the tournaments toughest teams in the next round including Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Barcelona. Dortmund price was down to 19 after round 4 but is now back up to 40??? Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be? Is it because none of the teams originally priced shorter than Dortmund have been knocked out? I managed to watch most of Dortmunds games during the group phase and I still have full faith in them. Defensively they are fine as long as they deploy their first choice backline of Piszczek-Subotic-Hummels-Schmelzer, new centre-back signing Ginter has struggled when he has played thus far but he is still young and finding his feet, he will improve over time. Dortmund have stuggled domestically so far but that is partly due to the fact that Klopp is rotating the team rather a lot now he has a bigger squad at his disposal. Certain players have not reached top form yet because they are in and out of the team but this should help their fitness levels when it comes to the business end of the season. Dortmund are still an extremely impressive side when going forward with excellent movement and chance creation which is virtually impossible to defend against at times. The biggest problem thus far has been chance conversion - Mkhitaryan, Kagawa and Gundogan need to up their goal tallys but I'm sure this will improve in the near future as they are class players. Upfront Ciro Immobile is a special talent and my favourite centre-forward in world football - trust me, this guy really is the business, you will see. Meanwhile the deadly Marco Reus returns in January and this will create an added fear factor for teams facing Dortmund. In the round of 16 Dortmund can face Juventus, Manchester City, Paris SG, Basel and Shakhtar - I am not particularly worried about any of those, naturally Juventus and Man City would be the toughest but both have weaknesses that Dortmund can exploit. Dortmund tend to perform well against open and attacking teams which is why they generally do well in the champions league against the big teams. Who would I be most afraid of Dortmund facing the champions league this year? Chelsea. Thankfully they will not be meeting in the round of 16. So we're back to square one with the market valuation but I still have faith in this Dortmund side. They're still the value outsider bet for this competition so I am not going to lay them off here, I'm gonna stick with them and see what happens in the round of 16. If they get knocked out I can take the hit, if they progress then great.

Re: Ante-Post > Champions League 2014/15 Winner Not sure I quite share your optimism! I am a bit peed off that after they won the group I would be laying them off at a loss currently..no option but to stick with them although relegation from the Bundesliga is the main concern currently. Think both Dortmund and Juve will fancy their chances of winning the tie, Juve have generally underperformed in this competition over recent years but they have some very good players and will look to exploit Dortmund's obvious defensive weaknesses. Watched them against Atletico the other night and they were pretty good. Dortmund were terrible in losing to Arsenal and drawing with a poor Anderlecht team, granted they were already qualified but the better teams still want to win games even when there is nothing riding on it. Klopp obviously might not be there by the time this game is played, this is an expensively assembled squad - in Bundesliga terms - and they are probably the biggest shock in European football this season in how much they have underperformed. They have dominated some games they have lost in the league but makes no odds if they are still losing when we are 4 months into the season, bad luck can only be used as an excuse for so long. Think the defence should get more settled now that Hummells is pretty much fit but they aren't scoring enough goals, Immobile and Ramos have been disappointing and Mkhitaryan can't finish for toffee. Reus can't do it all on his own. They can't keep players fit for any reasonable amount of time so the side is being changed constantly, Reus and Mkh the latest to be out and will remain so for another month. On the flip side I suppose they can only get better and Juve doesn't feel like a terrible draw.

Re: Ante-Post > Champions League 2014/15 Winner It is impossible to fancy a team that is lying 16th in Bundesliga to win the Champions League, 40/1 is probably too short given their form this season. Had an easy group in Arsenal, Anderlecht and Galatasaray. They have lost 9 of their 15 league games already, and Immobile is no Lewandowski, that's for sure.

Re: Ante-Post > Champions League 2014/15 Winner Juventus games are coin flip scenarios and UCL winners market currently reflects that in the prices. I'm not laying off now with a 30-40% loss on investment, I'd rather gamble on this one as I am prepared to take the hit if Juventus qualify. Immobile scored 4 goals in the group stage which is a respectable return so far for his first propper go at the competition, he is a player I have great faith in and is extremely naturally gifted. Lewandowski is the finished article and has show he can perform at the highest level but there's no reason why Immobile can't follow in his footsteps.