** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

French Open 2014

Re: French Open 2014 Carlos Berlocq (-2.5 Sets) against Richard Gasquet at 6.7 with Pinnacle Sloane Stephens’s win give me a good start today, so I gonna put a small punt on one speculative but valuable choice: Carlos Berlocq (-2.5 Sets). I bet against Richard in the first round. But I accidentally ignored the fact Tomic had a very bad record in France. What a mistake. Tomic played like ranked 500 while Richard played just ok. While Gasquet’s victory shows promising signs for his overall recovery, he did admit to some pain post-match. “I have some muscle pains after the match, but it’s nothing like what it was two weeks ago,” admitted Gasquet. “I was able to play and that already, in itself, was good news because I have been through some very difficult times. I have no special objective here, except to play matches with good feelings and no pain.” Besides, Carlos is good at clay and his recent form is not bad, so there is every chance to see an upset here. I made the match moneyline bet at 2.57 and handicap bet (+4) at 1.813 a few hours ago but now the price for Carlos drops, so value of backing him decreases. However, there is still much value backing the set handicap (-2.5) here in case Richard does feel uncomfortable in the match. Ref:http://www.stevegtennis.com/2014/05/richard-gasquet-vs-carlos-berlocq-preview-french-open-2014-round-2/

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: French Open 2014

Mladenovic actually won her match against Li' date=' but Pouille lost 3-0 despite being in front with a break for a few occasions. I think next round Monaco's run will come to the end against Seppi.[/quote'] As predicted Monaco is out and I am not amazed at all by the 3-0 score. I get from this match exactly what I expected.

Re: French Open 2014 Back Agneska Radwanska (-5.5 games) to beat Alja Tomljanovic at 1.73 with Tipico Radwanska is of course a solid player. In the last 4 years at the French Open, whether she wins her games in two sets or she loses them in two sets, that would means that she does not lose sets against weaker opponents. Tomljanovic conceded 9 break points in her previous game at RG with Vesnina but could still manage to win her game since the Russian could only break her serve once. A similar performance from the Croat will send her back home in straightforward fashion.

Re: French Open 2014 Back Radek Stepanek (+2.5 sets) to beat Ernests Gulbis at 1.79 with Tipico I do expect a similar game as the one played in round 1 between Gulbis and Kubot (4-6/6-4/7-5/6-1) altough I rate Stepanek as a better player than Kubot Gulbis has had a great season so far, but I am not sure he can win that sort of game in 3 straight sets, on clay, 1st game of the day against an unpredictable opponent who could break Youzhny's serve eight times.

Back Agneska Radwanska (-5.5 games) to beat Alja Tomljanovic at 1.73 with Tipico Radwanska is of course a solid player. In the last 4 years at the French Open, whether she wins her games in two sets or she loses them in two sets, that would means that she does not lose sets against weaker opponents. Tomljanovic conceded 9 break points in her previous game at RG with Vesnina but could still manage to win her game since the Russian could only break her serve once. A similar performance from the Croat will send her back home in straightforward fashion.
But isn't actually beating Vesnina and Schiavone an accomplishment for the young Croat?! They are both better ranked than her and if I am not mistaken, Tomljanovic was underdog in both encounters. So, she seems to be doing quite well so far... Also, Radwanska can be a little shaky and unconvincing against lower class opponents. I am not sure if the value here is not on Tomljanovic handicap.

Re: French Open 2014 Good results for the Croat but Radwanska is far better than Vesnina/Schiavone. I'm staying away from the match betting-wise, but I wouldn't say that Radwanska tends to be shaky/unconvincing against lower class opponents. She usually demolishes them really.

Re: French Open 2014 Back R.Stepanek/E.Gulbis - Over 33 games for a 8/10 stake at 1.92 with Pinnacle Stepanek looked good against Youzhny, so I fancy him to take at least a set off the Latvian on Friday. I still find it a bit hard to trust Gulbis to stay focused for three sets in a row - and especially so against a very experienced opponent that knows how to mix things up. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/stepanek-vs-gulbis-betting-the-czech-veteran-can-impress-against-ernests-gulbis-on-friday

Re: French Open 2014 Good to see some of the old crew still tipping around. Will go with a few tomorrow, all Pinnacle odds. Simon to beat Raonic @ 2.780 Raonic has taken some big scalps this season and had a good showing in Rome but i still look to oppose him once the slams start progressing. He's got a massive game but still some big holes in it...vesely choked in the first two sets in round 2 or that one could have got very tricky. I'm playing the odds here, Simon can make life tough for anyone on his day and I can see him making this into a tough battle for Raonic. Value at these odds i think.

Re: French Open 2014 We're at the stage of the tournament now where I think there is plenty of value to be had opposing the favourites. The wheat is starting to sort itself from the chaff, and momentum is being built by some of the lesser known players as they have had to win two matches to get to this round. My strategy will be to back some of the underdogs on game and set handicaps, as plenty of sets have been dropped by favourites so far in this tournament even though they have largely been winning their matches. Radek Stepanek (+2.5 Sets) to beat Ernests Gulbis @ 1.787 Pinnacle Radek Stepanek (+6.5 Games) to beat Ernests Gulbis @ 2.110 Pinnacle Stepanek got a good win against Youzhny in the last round and has been competitive against Gulbis in previous meetings, so I don't see why he can't give a good account of himself here. Credit to Gulbis for an improvement in his consistency and attitude in the last season or so, but he is still prone to lapses in concentration from what I can see. He's not really been tested so far in this tournament and Stepanek has enough experience and variety in his game to take the Latvian past three sets in this match. Marin Cilic (+8.5 Games) to beat Novak Djokovic @ 1.917 Pinnacle I quite like Cilic on clay and he played well enough against Andujar and Kamke, so I can see him keeping it close against Djokovic even though he might lose in straight sets. The Croat has had a good season and seems to have benefited from working with Goran Ivanisevic, and he is capable of causing Djokovic more problems than either Sousa or Chardy did. Something else that might play into the hands of this bet is that Djokovic might not want to extend himself too much with potentially tougher matches around the corner, and so a single break in each set for the Serbian could see this bet home. Dmitry Tursunov (+7 Games) to beat Roger Federer @ 1.926 Pinnacle Federer hasn't beaten this line in any of his previous meetings with Tursunov, and only managed to beat the Russian in two tie-breaks when they met earlier in the year. On top of that, the Swiss is notorious for doing just enough to get the win in the early rounds of tournaments like this, and when you factor in the good matches that Tursunov has already played here against Starace and Querrey I think this could be closer than the match line suggests. Roberto Bautista Agut (+3.5 Games) to beat Tomas Berdych @ 1.917 Pinnacle Bautista Agut has looked clinical so far here, dismissing both Lorenzi and Paire with relative ease. He beat Berdych earlier in the year which should give him confidence, and it wouldn't surprise me if he manages to beat him again. This sort of match holds no fears for the Spaniard, as he showed when beating Del Potro at the Australian Open. If Berdych can lose a set against Nedovyesov he can lose a set against Bautista Agut, and if the other sets are tight then this handicap should be covered even if the Czech wins. Jerzy Janowicz (+2.5 Sets) to beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga @ 1.667 Pinnacle Jerzy Janowicz (+5.5 Games) to beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga @ 2.020 Pinnacle Janowicz's big serve should ensure that a set is within his range against Tsonga, even if he comes up short in the match. The surface negates some of its power but even so it should mean that Tsonga has a harder time breaking than he did against Melzer. Janowicz also beat Tsonga on clay in Rome last year in a match that featured a tie-break, which is a further indication that this match could be close. I like to side with Janowicz in big tournaments if the price is right as they seem to inspire him, whereas in this tournament I think Tsonga can sometimes struggle with the weight of expectation as the home player. If Janowicz can keep his emotions in check then I think he could provide Tsonga with a stern test here. Gilles Simon (+3 Games) to beat Milos Raonic @ 1.971 Pinnacle Simon beat both Pavic and Gonzalez with something to spare to set up this meeting with Raonic, and given that he's prone to dropping serve quite regularly that bodes well ahead of this match. Simon is one of the better returners on tour, and so if his serve holds up he could run Raonic close here. It's fair to say that the Canadian is significantly better than Simon's previous opponents in this tournament, and that he is surprisingly adept on clay for someone of his stature, but even so I think he is being overrated against a grinder like Simon that can return his serves. Raonic looked vulnerable at times in his last match against Vesely, and although I can see him winning this match I think the margin could be wafer thin.

I dont know why Cibulkova is underdog with Stosur ?
Well - first of all - hi to everyone! First post - but long time lurker... I'm not native speaker - so please excuse me for any linguistic errors ;) To cut the story short - For me there is only one favourite today in this duel - Australian. First of all - Stosur finally is in good shape on clay this season, achieving pretty good results in two big tournaments - in Madrid and in Rome. Losing with Sharapova and Na Li is not a big dishonor for her. Secondly - Australian girl's return is on a high level here in Paris (in my opinion) and adding to that fact tha Cibulkova has huge problems with her serve - we could have a leathal mix... Lastly - both girls have just met in Madrid - and Slovakian was destroyed by Stosur in straight sets 64 60. I'm myself huge fan of taking underdogs (especially in WTA), but I'd rather look elswhere today. (Prematch - I took today Tomljanovic +6.5 games @ 1.66 bet365 1/10 - but it's a win-win situation for me - as I come from Poland).

Re: French Open 2014 Back Pauline Parmentier to beat Mona Barthel for a 7/10 stake at 3.79 with Pinnacle Pauline Parmentier has managed to beat Roberta Vinci and Yaroslava Shvedova already, so I am not sure that she should be priced as such a big underdog against Mona Barthel today. The German can be rather lackluster once unforced errors start to creep into her game - and Parmentier can certainly make that happen with her patient play from the baseline. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/parmentier-vs-barthel-betting-pauline-parmentier-looks-value-against-mona-barthel-in-paris

Re: French Open 2014 Back Gilles Simon to beat Milos Raonic for a 8/10 stake at 2.87 with Pinnacle Vesely could have challenged Raonic much more than he did, so I expect Gilles Simon to get his chances against the Canadian today. The slowish conditions should help him in this match-up - and you'd certainly have to fancy the Frenchman if this turns out to be a long match, which is indeed quite likely. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/simon-vs-raonic-betting-gilles-simon-can-take-advantage-of-the-canadian-s-weaknesses-in-paris-today

Re: French Open 2014 Back Daniela Hantuchova to beat Angelique Kerber for a 6/10 stake at 4.35 with Pinnacle Finally, I am also going to have a small punt on Hantuchova against Kerber today. It's all about going against Kerber really - she's been very unconvincing as of late and she faced some problems against Varvara Lepchenko in the second round, so I believe that Hantuchova will get some chances today as well. And she certainly has what it takes to convert them into a victory. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/hantuchova-vs-kerber-betting-daniela-hantuchova-has-what-it-takes-to-get-a-win-against-the-german-today

Re: French Open 2014 1. Taylor Townsend V.S. Carla Suarez Navarro - Taylor Townsend (+1.5) sets at 2.36with Pinnacle When Townsend is on fire, it’s hard to stop her. She serves well, very aggressive on return. She won 11 of 12 games when down 2-5 against Vania, and she won 6 of 7 games when 4-4 against Cornet. If she have such hot moment again, she should be able to take a set from Townsend. Besides, Navarro did not won the match as easy as I thought so far. So as long as Townsend stays calm and not show too much nervousness, she should be able to show her talent and put pressure on Navarro. 2. Tommy Robredo V.S. John Isner - John Isner (+3) games at 1.99/ John Isner to defeat Tommy Robredo at 2.74 both with Pinnacle I doubt whether Tommy deserves to be the favorite today. He is not in good form at all during this clay season. J.Ward and De Shepper were below par and Isner is definitely much tougher for him. He’s gonna struggle today in my opinion. Any thought on these matches? Thanks!

Re: French Open 2014 Yeah, I agree that Robredo has been a bit suspicious recently, although I find it a bit hard to trust Isner as well. On a different note, that was a very impressive performance from Gulbis. No problems on his own serve whatsoever, Stepanek couldn't even get close. Perhaps he'll be a real contender here if he can keep that up.

Radek Stepanek (+2.5 Sets) to beat Ernests Gulbis @ 1.787 Pinnacle Radek Stepanek (+6.5 Games) to beat Ernests Gulbis @ 2.110 Pinnacle Marin Cilic (+8.5 Games) to beat Novak Djokovic @ 1.917 Pinnacle Dmitry Tursunov (+7 Games) to beat Roger Federer @ 1.926 Pinnacle Roberto Bautista Agut (+3.5 Games) to beat Tomas Berdych @ 1.917 Pinnacle Jerzy Janowicz (+2.5 Sets) to beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga @ 1.667 Pinnacle Jerzy Janowicz (+5.5 Games) to beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga @ 2.020 Pinnacle Gilles Simon (+3 Games) to beat Milos Raonic @ 1.971 Pinnacle
Well that was fun. It sounds as though Gulbis played very well so no complaints there, but Janowicz was horrible from what I saw. He made far too many unforced errors and his serve deserted him in the important moments, meaning that Tsonga didn't really have to do a lot to win. Both Tursunov and Simon were pushes which is frustrating, and I don't know what happened to Bautista Agut as I didn't see any of his match. Still, the day could have been worse as Cilic only just managed to cover the handicap with a late rally against Djokovic. Hope for better tomorrow.

Re: French Open 2014 Andreas Seppi (+8.5 Games) to beat David Ferrer @ 2.110 Pinnacle Seppi hasn't dropped a set so far in this tournament, and whilst that's likely to change in this match I still think he has a chance to cover the handicap. His win over Giraldo was particularly impressive when you consider the form that the Colombian has been in, and although Monaco has been out of sorts for a while now the manner of Seppi's victory suggests that he is in good shape. Ferrer had no difficulties in negotiating the first couple of rounds either, but neither Sijsling or Bolelli were likely to trouble him in all honesty. Seppi is of a higher calibre though, and hopefully the Italian wont be leaving Paris this year without a fight. Jack Sock to beat Dusan Lajovic @ 1.67 Betfair I think Lajovic has been lucky to reach this stage of the tournament, and that Sock will end his run in this match. The American is fresher, having only played one full match so far against compatriot Johnson in the last round, where he won in straight sets. Lajovic beat Delbonis in the first round which was something of a surprise, and it was even more surprising to see the Argentine go down in straight sets. It's possible that fatigue had a role in that result though, as Delbonis made the final in Nice the weekend before. Instead of playing Haas in the second round, Lajovic played Zopp after the German retired against the Estonian in their first round match, and as Zopp has hardly played on clay this season he wasn't likely to provide much resistance. Sock looks as though he has the makings of a decent clay court player to me, and even though Lajovic has a good record on clay at Challenger level I think Sock is the better player here. Leonardo Mayer (+10 Games) to beat Rafael Nadal @ 2.120 Pinnacle Taking on Nadal on the clay of Roland Garros isn't always the smartest move, especially when the Spaniard beat this line against an arguably more talented player in Thiem in his last match, but even so I think this is worth a play. Mayer has more experience than Thiem and has had a decent year on clay, reaching the final in Vina del Mar and the quarters in Oeiras and also Nice last week. I think his serve is one of his strengths, and so if he can hold it a few times in each set and depending on when the breaks fall he could cover this line in a straight sets loss. Gael Monfils to beat Fabio Fognini @ 2.18 Betfair This should be an entertaining match between two of the most flamboyant players on tour, and if it's anything like their meeting in this tournament four years ago it will be some spectacle. I can understand why Fognini is the favourite, as he's been one of the best players on clay in the last year or so, but I still think this match could go either way. Fognini's results on clay haven't been all that great since he beat Murray in Davis Cup, and as Monfils hasn't done that well recently either it points to a match with the potential for lots of ups and downs and swings in momentum. If it does pan out that way then it could be a test of temperament if nothing else, and in that department I favour Monfils over the sometimes combustible Italian. Donald Young (+2.5 Sets) to beat Guillermo Garcia-Lopez @ 1.769 Pinnacle As much as Young has impressed me so far in this tournament, I think it's probably too much to expect him to beat a player like Garcia-Lopez who has been in such good form on clay this season. The American has had very little success on clay himself, but he did get to the quarter-finals in Houston and he has been picking up wins on the surface at Challenger level recently and so I do think he is capable of taking a set here. Garcia-Lopez dropped a set against Mannarino in the last round, and if Young can play at the level he did against Lopez in his last match then he could cause the Spaniard problems. Fernando Verdasco to beat Richard Gasquet @ 2.10 Betfair Gasquet came into this tournament having not played since the hard court season in March, and after making his way through two rounds here there's a chance that his lack of fitness will start to tell. Adrenaline can only take you so far, and even with home support unless the Frenchman is able to win in straight sets as he did in his previous matches then Verdasco might be able to take advantage. The Spaniard showed against Cuevas in the last round that he is in a fighting mood, suggesting that even if Gasquet makes a fast start and takes the first two sets the match wont necessarily be over. Verdasco also beat Llodra in his first round match so he should have no trouble dealing with a partisan crowd, and I think he has a good chance of accounting for another French player in this tournament. Philipp Kohlschreiber to beat Andy Murray @ 3.70 Betfair Kohlschreiber has built up plenty of momentum on clay recently, taking a set against Nadal in Rome and winning the title in Dusseldorf. He represents a significant step up in quality from Murray's previous opponents in this tournament, and is capable of winning this match if he brings his best tennis to the court. Murray won easily enough in the first round against Golubev even though he dropped a set and his win against Matosevic in his next match was routine, but neither of those players had enough tactical acumen to ask any serious questions of the Briton. Kohlschreiber, though, knows his way around a clay court and played well in his first two matches here and if he can keep his composure and if Murray gets frustrated then the German might be able to spring a surprise and make the next round.

Re: French Open 2014 Back Lucie Safarova (+1.5 sets) to beat Ana Ivanovic for a 8/10 stake at 1.97 with Pinnacle Fancy Safarova to take at least a set against Ivanovic today. The Czech is strong enough to do so and also has a good H2H record against the Serb, so one set should be fully within her range really. The outright is a no-go due to Safarova's problems when it comes to closing things out on the big stages. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/safarova-vs-ivanovic-betting-the-czech-shouldn-t-be-underestimated-in-paris-today

Is there any chance of an upset by Seppi v Ferrer? I know it most likely won't happen but surely there must be some value!?
14.80 looks like a bit of value indeed. However, I watched Seppi against Monaco and I think this match will go Ferrer's way. Both have a similar style where Seppi is probably the more aggressive one. Monaco choked at difficult moments and I think Ferrer will put pressure on every serve of Seppi. Seppi might be able to win a set but Ferrer looked really up for his previous matches.

Re: French Open 2014 Back Fernando Verdasco to beat Richard Gasquet for a 8/10 stake at 2.06 with Pinnacle I was surprised by seeing Fernando Verdasco coming back from being two sets down against Pablo Cuevas the other day and it shows that he's well-prepared for the longer format of the game, which obviously can't be said about his today's opponent, Richard Gasquet. Verdasco will be a big step up from Tomic and Berlocq, so I expect the Spaniard to win at the end of the day. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/verdasco-vs-gasquet-betting-fernando-verdasco-looks-value-against-the-frenchman-on-saturday

Re: French Open 2014 Back Ivo Karlovic to beat Kevin Anderson at 2.62 with Pinnacle This is a 50-50 match for me, I don't know what these odds are about. Karlovic looks rock solid on his serve, he barely let a break opportunity for his opponents. Anderson will definitely not be able to close this match in 3 sets, and I can see his service game much more vulnarable on the long run (he will start double faulting and making unforced errors). I am more than happy to bet on Ivo at these odds. Back Sorana Cirstea (+1.5 sets) to beat Jelena Jankovic at 2.22 with BetSafe The fact Jankovic is rated such a favorite over here looks weird to me. Their H2H stat favors the Romanian (4-2), moreover all of their past encounters played on clay were won by Cirstea (I will never forget that remarkable French Open match back from 2009). Even if Jankovic seems to be in better shape at this moment, I do see value in backing Cirstea to win at least one set today.

Re: French Open 2014 Back Kristina Mladenovic to beat Andrea Petkovic for a 6/10 stake at 4.55 with Pinnacle Last one for me today. Mladenovic seems to be playing well and the crowd will get behind her on the center court, so anything can happen really, especially since Petkovic hasn't been all that great lately, losing tamely against Puig last week and dropping a set against the out-of-form Stefanie Vogele in the second round. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/mladenovic-vs-petkovic-betting-kristina-mladenovic-can-continue-her-dream-french-open-run

Re: French Open 2014 Two pre-match choices: 1. Nadal V.S. Leonardo Mayer - Over 26 games at 1.81 with Pinnacle Leonardo is better than Ginepri and also more consistent than Thiem. Thiem just gave Nadal too many free points. So I expect this to be a closer match. I prefer the over rather than handicap because if there is a very close set like 7-5 or 7-6 it will almost ensure the match will go over. 2. Andrea Petkovic V.S. Kristina Mladenovic - Kristina Mladenovic (+4.5) games at 2.11 with Pinnacle / Kristina Mladenovic to defeat Andrea Petkovic at 4.55 with Pinnacle Andrea Petkovic is just ok recently but she is priced like she's in top 10 which I can not agree with. Mladenovic is an rising star and she definitely has what it takes to make this a close match, and as long as Mladenovic can reduce the number of double faults, she may even win it here.

Re: French Open 2014 Oh my! So far every time I post the same choice here as you, the results were all against us, including Zhang - Radwanska/ Tomic - Gasquet/ Istomin - Kohlschreiber. This time will be different :D

Back Kristina Mladenovic to beat Andrea Petkovic for a 6/10 stake at 4.55 with Pinnacle Last one for me today. Mladenovic seems to be playing well and the crowd will get behind her on the center court, so anything can happen really, especially since Petkovic hasn't been all that great lately, losing tamely against Puig last week and dropping a set against the out-of-form Stefanie Vogele in the second round. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/mladenovic-vs-petkovic-betting-kristina-mladenovic-can-continue-her-dream-french-open-run