** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Ships is leaving us

Darran

I came on here this morning to find a message from Ships telling me that he is giving up Non-League punting. I am sure a lot of people will be sad to hear that and these pages will be worse for not having his posts on here. His knowledge of the Non-League game is amazing and it still astounds me that anyone can have such knowledge of all the various leagues. The amount of time and effort he must have put in over the last 10 years must have been huge and it is proof that if you put in the effort you will get rewarded. One of the reasons he is giving up is that he suspects he is going to have struggled to get a bet on next season and I don't blame him for wanting a break from it all. I will obviously try and do my best at continuing the work he has done and there are others on here who are more than capable of tipping winners as well so hopefully these threads will continue to tip many winners to come and are still profitable. From my point of view though I know I don't put in the amount of effort that Ships has done and I focus a lot narrowly than he does. Also I go to a lot less games than I used to and only went to one game that didn't involve Gloucester or Dulwich this season. Hopefully he will still post from time to time and although it is a shame he is giving it up, but I fully understand the reason why he is doing it.

Re: Ships is leaving us Wow, big loss for us and the forum. Very skilled person when it comes to betting. Great knowledge indeed about leagues most of us don't know shit about. I also hope that he will keep posting from time to time. All the best!

Re: Ships is leaving us

This is like when Fergie retired from Old Trafford :( Thank you for all your insight and naps Ships' date=' your non-league knowledge is amazing and you will be sorely missed from this thread.[/quote'] I hope we can do better than Moyes did!

Re: Ships is leaving us Sorry to read this...and I sincerely hope it wasn't down to my selections! Drop me a PM when you next fancy attending a match in your area, Ships (and I don't mean up north) and I'll buy you the first ale. I hope everything is OK on a personal level. London Hibs

Re: Ships is leaving us This forum and Ships' posts particularly were the reason I re-kindled my interest in non league football after a gap of nearly 20 years, so much so that tomorrow I am off to Chesham for the play off semi against Stourbridge. An unbelievable knowledge of the game and always great to read his posts. Will be a sad loss to the forum but I'd just like to add my thanks and best wishes.

Re: Ships is leaving us It's a sad day for the PL non-league forum, I have always marvelled at the extent of your knowledge Ships, & owe you more than a few beers! You must have so much extra time on your hands now, good luck with whatever you do. (unless you are working for the opposition of course!)

Re: Ships is leaving us Really sorry to hear that. I guess I can understand in a way. I've started doing more writing and tips and already I'm starting to notice how much time and dedication it takes. Ships did far far more than I do I think. Since I joined PL, the non league boards have been one of the best - and most helpful - parts of the site. Ships has been central to that success.

Re: Ships is leaving us thx for your quality betting chronicles, ships. your written lectures in non-league topics were always high in my must read list for years (with pleasure btw). gl to you what ever you gonna do. Monty

Re: Ships is leaving us :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry Very sad that Ships is going, one of the best posters on the forum and his great work will be missed.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Ships is leaving us That's the season done and I just wanted to register my thanks to everyone for the kind comments, and for the hundreds of punters who've made this such a great place to be in the past decade. It's the right time for me to call it quits after a very decent year, with Telford's last-day title win producing some very decent returns on the anteposts, to add to a season of excellent match betting. Anyone who kept an eye on the antepost threads will know how well things went. Even the odds compiler for one of the bookies was tweeting about the fun he'd had backing Telford, Eastleigh, Hemel and Chorley - he should know, as I rogered his company mightily this season by backing them! I'm not done with football betting totally - I'll still be spread betting, but I really can't expect the non-league fixed odds to produce the same returns they have. Successful gambling is generally a solitary business, in that the starting point is taking sole responsibility for your own bets, but PL proves that collective information and discussion is incredibly important in the decision-making process - the opinions and insights here, generated by scores of different punters, have been essential to what has been an amazing ten seasons. So a massive thanks to everyone here for their help and support over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Ships is leaving us What a shock...and a shame. I dropped off a little last year as being out of the country made it hard to get non-league bets on. Ships, you have done us proud down the years and if you need help getting bets on ;) Good luck pal, drop by with a gem sometime.