** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Why being a pro isnt all a bed of roses...

Jezza

Played for 25 mins tonight on prima, 500 dollar buy in 2.5/5 NL cash games. Very first hand I pick up TT..there is a raise and i flat call as does one other, flop is J106. Check check I bet the pot - I get a big check raise off the flat caller (not the original raiser so not really scared about JJ). I ponder and hope he has 66, so I reraise to put him in for the 500 - he calls with straight draw KQ which hits on the turn and I dont fill up on the river... unpeturbed I reload and a few hands later I have KQdiamonds flop is A42diamonds...other guy has 35diam and 500 infront of him as well - you can guess the rest!! (he actually pulled a river check raise on me - a rarity) So down 1k after less than half an hours play...I have switched off and am away to a small rebuy game to chill out :o....Of course I understand that this is all part of the natural randomness of poker and it hasnt really affected me, but I thought I would share my experience tonight to show you that the life of a pro poker player is not as rosy always as it is made out to be ;) Jez

Re: Why being a pro isnt all a bed of roses... Sorry to hear that Jez....Had a similar run of cards over the weekend in one game that wiped out a large chunk of my bank angry.gif Didn't help that I then went on tilt bigtime & lost a load more sad2.gif Clawed about 50% of it back since yesterday, infuriating none the less ohwell.gif

Re: Why being a pro isnt all a bed of roses... Unlucky Jez,

So down 1k after less than half an hours play...I have switched off and am away to a small rebuy game to chill out :o....Of course I understand that this is all part of the natural randomness of poker and it hasnt really affected me
A grand down after half an hour, just makes me realise Im way not ready for cash games, id have been suicidal, or at least needing a new laptop :(

Re: Why being a pro isnt all a bed of roses... Yeah....I just posted this to try and show the negative dips that can happen on a day to day basis, of course something like this could only happen if I was playing 500NL cash - playing 25NL cash a bad swing is a bit less brutal.... Anyway went down to the local tournament only to find it had been cancelled due to a festival this weekend...so went out with my mates and got trollyed on double vodkas instead :lol I have had plenty of cold decks in my favour the past few weeks for similar amounts of money and I would not be playing those stakes anyway if losing a couple of rolls would seriously affect my bankroll, like I said in another post what I have on the table I am not scared of losing so it doesnt bother me. If however it had been my whole or close to my whole bankroll then yep oskar I would have needed a new computer :lol, I put too much emphasis on avoiding a high risk of ruin to ever let that happen tho. Jez