** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

MLS 2014 (USA/Canada)

deadeye

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: MLS 2014 (USA/Canada) DC United - Colorado Rapids I don't usually bet on matches from the MLS, but this game caught my eye tonight. DC United seem like a good home team, winning 7 of their last 10 home matches. Theoretically Colorado Rapids should have a problem on away days. They are located on an altitude of 1574m. Statistics prove it - Colorado have lost 10 of their last 15 visits. Thier home form is much better. Last season DC United won the match 2-0. Colorado are missing Jose Mari, their second highest rated player according to whoscored.com. Home win for me. DC United to win 2.50 Marathonbet

Re: MLS 2014 (USA/Canada) Anyone got any idea why Columbus are generally priced at evens to beat Houston at home this weekend? On the face of it this looks decent value against a Houston side that have lost 9 out of 11 away games this season. Columbus come into this off the back of a surprise and resounding thrashing of LA Galaxy and the two home games they have lost were to Kansas and Toronto who both (and Kansas in particular) have shown decent enough form on the road. I would have thought that Columbus should be about 1.8 or so to win this, but I'm struggling to find any decent info on injuries etc that might be telling. Am I missing something here?

Re: MLS 2014 (USA/Canada)

Anyone got any idea why Columbus are generally priced at evens to beat Houston at home this weekend? On the face of it this looks decent value against a Houston side that have lost 9 out of 11 away games this season. Columbus come into this off the back of a surprise and resounding thrashing of LA Galaxy and the two home games they have lost were to Kansas and Toronto who both (and Kansas in particular) have shown decent enough form on the road. I would have thought that Columbus should be about 1.8 or so to win this' date=' but I'm struggling to find any decent info on injuries etc that might be telling. Am I missing something here?[/quote'] Ok, I see that the recent signings of Damarcus Beasley and Luis Garrido seem to have galvanised Houston and the feeling is they are now on an upward curve. Reckon I'll give this one a miss then.

Re: MLS 2014 (USA/Canada) Yeah, those two signings are likely the reason. I still think it's decent value though. As I learned last week, home advantage in MLS is big. I think New York should do the biz over Montreal. Montreal played away in El Salvador on Wednesday and a lot of their top 11 featured. At this point they are definitely more concerned by CL than league standings. NYRB is generally a strong team at home too. Seems to be priced up accordingly but their might be some value in -1 ah or throw it in an accumulator. I also think DC offers some value. KC was away in CL on Tuesday night and some key starters played heavy minutes. DC played at home and rotated the squad more. DC +1 looks good value to me. im doing low stakes parlay of: nyrb -1 ah dc +1 ah TFC -1 ah (homer pick. TFC definitely a better team on paper and Chicago is struggling for goals as of late.)

• 2 weeks later...

Re: MLS 2014 (USA/Canada) Toronto is starting a very weak 11 tonight. Huge value on Philly at home for over evens. TFC missing their two DP strikers and back line consists of 2 academy grads, rookie and player playing in 2nd div last year. Multi goal loss looks realistic to me.

MLS betting preview: LA Galaxy- Colorado Rapids MLS : LA Galaxy- Colorado Rapids We have done well opposing Rapids on the road this season and whilst we only got our money back last week, when they travelled to Seattle ( notes reproduced below), the stake was never really at risk and on another day Souders would have got the second goal from six decent attempts and maybe a third. If you look at the "key stat" for Saturday's game, that was again the period that Rapids were vulnerable and Seattle scored (through Dempsey) in the 54th minute, it was also the period of the game that Colorado gave up most possession, with Seattle dominating through the middle of the game, having 63.1% of the ball in the first 15 minutes of the second half and 60.9% through the next 15 , those stats were even worse (for Rapids) just before the break and they definitely lose focus through the heart of the game after usually starting quite strongly. Joe Nasco making his debut in the visitors goal was their stand out performer and he will probably need to produce similar heroics to keep his team in this fixture tonight. The schedule has not been kind and playing the two best teams in the West, both on the road inside 7 days, when you are not in the best of shape anyway, is cruel. LA have scored 13 goals in their last four starts, which included four on the road against Rapids just 15 days ago, where Galaxy came back from 3-1 down at the break. It was actually 3-1 after 29 minutes, with Colorado catching LA cold early. It was one way traffic for the final hour and you can see the enormous problems Rapids had defending any ball into the box, three of the four goals came via dead ball situations or crosses with Galaxy winning everything in the air, especially through Omar Gonzalez, it was painful to watch ! Gonzalex scored one, was denied a second by a fine save and laid on a third and he will surely be up for this tonight and looking forward to the game. Seattle had a huge number of crosses into the Rapids box (21) and the visitors have clearly been unable to stop the supply. Robbie Keane is missing for the hosts, away on international duty, but Alan Gordon scored in Colorado and will step in for him this evening. The situation is more than balanced out with Rapids losing top scorer Deshorn Brown who has joined up with Jamaica and with influential captain Drew Moor (see below) still out injured and sorely missed. 1.5 units LA Galaxy -1.25 goals 2.01 asian line/Sportmarket.

Re: MLS 2014 (USA/Canada) [TABLE=class: team]

[TR] [/TR] [/TABLE] Looking at tonight's match, NY have scored at least 1 goal in their last 10 home matches in the MLS. Although Tim Cahill will not feature in this game for NY as he was away on international duty, Bradley Wright-Phillips will be available, and he is the leagues top goal scorer with 20 goals. i think NY will be in the over 1.5 team goals market, as Kansas have conceded 6 in their last 3 away MLS matches. Kanasa has scored at least one away goal in 8 of their last 10 matches in the MLS, they also have the leagues second top scorer in Dom Dwyer who has 17 goals to his name, and will feature tonight. BTTS is simply too short, as well as the overs market... Both teams to score (YES) and over 2.5 @ 1.95 Bet365

[TABLE=class: team] [TR] [/TR] [/TABLE] Looking at tonight's match, NY have scored at least 1 goal in their last 10 home matches in the MLS. Although Tim Cahill will not feature in this game for NY as he was away on international duty, Bradley Wright-Phillips will be available, and he is the leagues top goal scorer with 20 goals. i think NY will be in the over 1.5 team goals market, as Kansas have conceded 6 in their last 3 away MLS matches. Kanasa has scored at least one away goal in 8 of their last 10 matches in the MLS, they also have the leagues second top scorer in Dom Dwyer who has 17 goals to his name, and will feature tonight. BTTS is simply too short, as well as the overs market... Both teams to score (YES) and over 2.5 @ 1.95 Bet365
Great result with NY winning 2-1 with both Bradley Wright-Phillips and Dom Dwyer scoring :cigar

Re: MLS 2014 (USA/Canada) Although I was hoping for better odds, New England over Montreal has to be the bet of the weekend. After a mid season slump NE has won their last 4 games and are making a major push to secure a playoff spot. They often do well at home because they play on an artificial pitch that other teams aren't used to. From what I can tell, most of their line up is healthy and they haven't played since last Sunday so they should be fresh. Montreal on the other hand have had some mixed results lately. However the big thing here is that they are very much out of the playoff picture and they are more focused on the champions league. They play New York for the champions league on Wednesday and they have already said they will rotate the squad in NE. Add that they played this past Wednesday and picked up a few injuries (including two starting defenders Camara and Ferrari) the squad for NE should be second rate. Im leaning towards NE -1 ah @ 2.1 (b365). NE have scored 9 goals in the last 4 while Montreal have given up 9 in their last 4. With a depleted team, MTL could be a sitting duck.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: MLS 2014 (USA/Canada) New York Red Bulls vs Houston W1 and Los Angeles Galaxy vs Toronto W1 look a good combo. Based on both teams great home form,it looks a clear win for both NY & LA. Still, any info about about missings for both sides would be appreciated.

New York Red Bulls vs Houston W1 and Los Angeles Galaxy vs Toronto W1 look a good combo. Based on both teams great home form,it looks a clear win for both NY & LA. Still, any info about about missings for both sides would be appreciated.
Toronto has Defoe back and this is a huge game for them to make the playoffs, something to consider, they are also coming off a big comeback win. LA is better though

Re: MLS 2014 (USA/Canada) We previewed the reverse fixture at the weekend ......I feel it will be very tough for Timbers to win this, with injury and suspension ripping the heart out of the visitors, robbing them of two of the most influential midfielders in the MLS. San Jose have a limited amount to play for, but are courting a new coach in Dominic Kinnear ( good choice, see above) and will want to impress and despite a ten match unbeaten run, they are better than that and have served us pretty well this season , especially with the 5-1 demolition of Chicago Fire, which was a "double " win and defeat of Seattle Sounders in the brand spanking new Levi's Stadium and they also drew 3-3 in Portland recently, where they led 2-0 and 3-2. Timbers are without both Diego Valeri and Will Johnson. Over the last two seasons Valeri has missed just three matches, none this season, through which he has scored 20 goals and had 27 (!) assists and 163 attempts on goal, Johnson has only missed seven , he plays deeper, but has 17 goals and is the driving force in the team, Valeri the standout player. They have (very) occasionally had to deal without one, but now both are out together and it must feel like they are going into battle with a couple of limbs missing. Earthquakes led there through a Chris Wondolowski goal, before Timbers found two late goals, it was a gritty hard earned win, which didn't look like coming, but missing their two most important players, it said plenty about the spirit in the squad and a follow up win tonight, would give the edge in that race for 5th place over Whitecaps, who do not play until Friday, when they visit Seattle, so three hugely valuable points up for grabs for the hosts. They will be without right back Alvas Powell who is away on international duty, he has just forced his way into a regular starting place, but his absence is more than compensated for by the missing on the other side of the pitch and return of Diego Valeri ( see above). San Jose have lost central defender Victor Bernardez, midfielders Atiba Harris and Cordell Cato and striker Wondolowski to international duty, right back Pablo Pintos was sent off as time expired on Sunday and is suspended. All five played in that game, four as starters, the loss of Bernandez is huge with Clarence Goodson injured long term, Wondo is far and away their biggest offensive threat with 14 goals this season (three against Timbers) and 87 in the last five campaigns . The two teams met here in Portland a month ago, that ended 3-3, Wondo and Cato scored all three between them, Valeri assisted for all three Timbers goals, with the hosts having a club record 32 attempts on goal, they also had 40 crosses into the box and with the visitors without a starting central defender tonight , that kind of relentless pressure is likely to be rewarded , especially with so much on the line. 1.5 units Portland Timbers -1 ball 2.12 asian line/Sportmarket. They scored two on the road without Valeri, three at home last month and it should have been five, 2.75-2.90 for Portland to score over 2.5 goals looks big.

Re: MLS 2014 (USA/Canada) I'm on Portland here too. I think wondo might still feature here but the other absences in defenders will really make it tricky for San Jose. Valeri's back and Portland has a lot of attacking weapons at their disposal. With the added playoff motivation the home team should cover a -1 ah.

• 5 weeks later...

Re: MLS 2014 (USA/Canada) MLS Playoffs Eastern Conference Semi Final Second Leg DC United - New York Red Bulls Sat 8th Nov 19.30 UK time I think overs could be good value here at the current price. New York Red Bulls lead 2-0 from the 1st leg. Red Bulls have Thierry Henry and Shaun Wright Phillips in attack. DC's defence really struggled in the 1st leg, and I think Red Bulls attack will be a big threat on the break as DC press for the two goals they need. If Red Bulls score, DC will need three. Overall, I see overs as more likely than unders, and I would have the odds on over 2.5 more like 1.7-1.8, so nearly 2.0 is worth taking I think. Over 2.5 1.95 Marathon Stake: 5 points

MLS Playoffs Eastern Conference Semi Final Second Leg DC United - New York Red Bulls Sat 8th Nov 19.30 UK time I think overs could be good value here at the current price. New York Red Bulls lead 2-0 from the 1st leg. Red Bulls have Thierry Henry and Shaun Wright Phillips in attack. DC's defence really struggled in the 1st leg, and I think Red Bulls attack will be a big threat on the break as DC press for the two goals they need. If Red Bulls score, DC will need three. Overall, I see overs as more likely than unders, and I would have the odds on over 2.5 more like 1.7-1.8, so nearly 2.0 is worth taking I think. Over 2.5 1.95 Marathon Stake: 5 points
Result: DC United 2 New York Red Bulls 1 Bet won :ok Stake: 5 points Return: 9.75 points Profit/loss = +4.75 points

• 3 weeks later...

Re: MLS 2014 (USA/Canada) MLS Playoffs Eastern Conference Final Second Leg New England Revolution v New York Red Bulls Sat 29th Nov 20.00 NE Revolution lead 2-1 from the first leg I like the look of 'overs' in this 2nd leg. As NE Revs scored two away goals in their 2-1 win in New York, New York themselves now need two goals in Massachusetts. In fact, they have to win the game AND score at least two goals. 2-0 would be enough. 2-1 would take it to extra time and then penalties. A low-scoring game would suit New England - any win, any draw, or even a 0-1 defeat would see them through to the MLS Cup. I saw some of the first leg, which was deservedly won by New England Revolution. New York were disappointing, and they've lost star striker Bradley Wright-Phillips for the second leg. I think New York will attack a lot in the first half. Even without Wright-Phillips, they have skilful attacking players (including Thierry Henry). Over 2.5 1.8 Ladbrokes Stake: 5 points

MLS Playoffs Eastern Conference Final Second Leg New England Revolution v New York Red Bulls Sat 29th Nov 20.00 NE Revolution lead 2-1 from the first leg I like the look of 'overs' in this 2nd leg. As NE Revs scored two away goals in their 2-1 win in New York, New York themselves now need two goals in Massachusetts. In fact, they have to win the game AND score at least two goals. 2-0 would be enough. 2-1 would take it to extra time and then penalties. A low-scoring game would suit New England - any win, any draw, or even a 0-1 defeat would see them through to the MLS Cup. I saw some of the first leg, which was deservedly won by New England Revolution. New York were disappointing, and they've lost star striker Bradley Wright-Phillips for the second leg. I think New York will attack a lot in the first half. Even without Wright-Phillips, they have skilful attacking players (including Thierry Henry). Over 2.5 1.8 Ladbrokes Stake: 5 points
Result: New England Revolution 2 New York Red Bulls 2 Bet won :ok Stake: 5 points Return: 9 points Profit/loss = +4 points