** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th

Crouch Potato

Harris English @ 126 Bet365 In the past few years the PGA Championship has often been the major where a young player who has recently broken through and is in hot form goes on to get his first major. Keegan Bradley and Jason Dufner are the two main examples of this and I'm backing the American English to follow suit. He's already broken through last season and has a win this season to go with a 4th in Hawaii and is right in contention right now in the Phoenix Waste Management. A win in that event will likely see these odds crash and even if he doesn't, the form he is in and the control he has over the mental side of his game is just so impressive that I'd like to be on at these odds. Looking at the market you have guys like Fowler (67) and Speith (51) who are much shorter despite having 1 less win on Tour than English. I expect Harris to continue to improve this season and I think he'll tee off at the USPGA well inside triple digits.

• 5 months later...

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th RICKIE FOWLER 66/1 E/W CORALS 1/4 1-5~Cant believe the price Fowler is for the last major Corals are very welcome to some of my hard earned at that price. Seems to be a different player when in comes to the majors has performed well in the first two this year and is currently going well in the Open surely its only a mater time before he wins one! Corals may be generous with Fowlers odds but there looking for mug punters to back Woods they have him 6/1 Fav what a joke there should be another 6 with that!!! DUSTIN JOHNSON 33/1 E/W CORALS 1/4 1-5~The big hitting yank has a great chance of winning a major currently lying 2nd in the open with two rounds to go not impossible he could win it and it will be very interesting to see how he goes being paired with McIlroy. He has threatened to win a major but has choked but the more he puts himself up there the better he will cope with it and 33's is a decent price indeed, i can't see it lasting.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th There's one interesting stat for me ahead of this USPGA Championship that may help pick a winner: - 14 of the last 15 winners of the PGA Championship had won previously that season. As we all know, picking a winner any week is tough. I think it's especially tough for the PGA Championship with the size of the field. But I'm going to use this stat to help guide me in picking a winner this week. I picked outsiders for The Open last month. I'm quite keen on doing so again, but if I do, I would prefer them to have won at some point this season (maybe the likes of Chris Kirk, Harris English, Patrick Reed) considering the above stat.

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th I make it 12 of the last 14 that have won in the season. Dufner's last win was the year prior and Shaun Micheel had never won before being the two exceptions. Also, since the WGC event at Firestone was moved to the week before the PGA, every winner of the PGA has played in the event and finished no worse than 22. I'm not sure how much emphasis I'd put on 22nd as it's kind of a generic placing, but form seems to suggest you need to have played to be a chance. In the last 3 years, Dufner and Rory placed Top 5 in the Bridgestone event and the year earlier Keegan was 15th but 3rd heading into Sunday, so recent form suggests you're looking at someone who was up there this week. Rory, Sergio, Reed, Rose and Schwartzel have all won this year and were in the Top 5. For me Patrick Reed is particularly interesting. Obviously Rory is hard to look past though.

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th Just read another interesting stat. Only two winners in the last ten years (Rory McIlroy 13th and Padraig Harrington 27th) have ranked outside the top-ten for greens in regulation. I placed a bet on Sergio at 14/1, lured by Paddy Powers 1/4 odds 1-6, after that amazing 3rd back nine birdie fest at the WGC Bridgestone. He was 20/1 with the same form this morning(back to 18s) as I write, but I'm not very hopeful despite his excellent form. He has the game, but I think the disappointment and that poor final round are not helpful to his chances. Also read he doesn't like Valhalla. Played there in the 2000 PGA Championship, finishing T34. Also lost 5 and 4 to Anthony Kim in the 2008 Ryder Cup. Looking for a couple of others to follow, & as mentioned by a few, Harris English, Patrick Reed look decent shouts at big odds. But Rory is going to take some beating!

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th Could be onto something there Owen, pretty sure Rory has almost as many 1R leads as he does career wins. In addition to the bet I had on English ages ago, I've gone with: JB Holmes E/W 1-7 @ 101 - Sportingbet Aus Holmes meets the win criteria having won Wells Fargo this year. For me that's an interesting win because a lot of Wells Fargo winners have won majors. You of course have Tiger, but it's also the event Rory got off the mark. David Toms, Vijay Singh (both PGA winners) are also among major winners who have won Wells Fargo, as are Jim Furyk and Lucas Glover. Rickie's sole win was Wells Fargo and though not a major winner he's come close, as has Anthony Kim, another Wells Fargo winner who almost won a major. For me the Wells Fargo is a good indicator of potential major winners and given Valhalla plays at about 7500 yards as a Par 71, then Holmes' length will be an added advantage. This becomes more true if it rains as he has a high ball flight and relies less on run off to get distance on his drives. Patrick Reed E/W 1-7 @81 Sportingbet Aus If we're to repeat a long odds winner than for mine Reed is a prime contender. He contended for 3 rounds as the Quicken Loans (played on a Major championship course) and of course has won twice this year, including a WGC event. A tie for 4th last week means he meets some key criteria I outlined in an above post and he's long off the tee which will also help. You can approach majors from many angles, but in terms of a pure, instinctive pick, Reed is the man I like most. Which may mean you should lay him rather than back him based on my major record! Russell Henley E/W 1-7 @ 251 Sportingbet Aus A win at the Honda this year satisfies the won this year criteria. What I like about Henley this week though is his record on Nicklaus designed courses (which Valhalla is). The Honda is hosted on a course Jack re-designed, whilst he has Top 6 finishes at both Harbour Town and Muirfield, which are also Nicklaus designed courses. Form is admittedly no good right now but the fact he has won this year and seems to have a good eye for Nicklaus courses means I'm happy to take a flyer at these odds. Based also on the fact they've won this year and are very long off the tee, I've also taken Scott Stallings (600) and Kevin Stadler (400), both with Betfair. Neither in great form but Stallings has shown he never needs to be going well to pull a win from nowhere.

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th

That bet of Owens is a shocking price though isn't it? When you consider Rory was 20/1 to be first round leader for the open' date=' now he is 20/1 to lead all 4 rounds.[/quote'] He is 25/1 with skybet to lead all four rounds which if i had an account i would be happy to take. What you have to remember he has won his last two tournaments and one of them he lead after round 1 and all rounds so the price is going to be way tighter the form he is in now compared to before the open is also major factor for me 25's is about right. Being honest i personally think he will go very close in this but i'm not so sure he will be leading after the 1st round i would though take a chance at 25's but no lower. McIllroy drifted to 22's to win the open the day before it an amazing price which i was happy to have some off but i think those day are now no more and bookies are slowly realising how good he is now and they will soon be offering silly short price every tournament Rory is in, as was the case in Tiger Woods hey day unfortunately all good things come to an end but hey it was fun and profitable!

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th In defence of the bet, 2 of Rory's wins were wire to wire (Open and US Open). One of his other career victories was also wire to wire (2009 Dubai Desert Classic). He almost did the same in the 2012 Dubai World Desert Classic but was 1 shot off first in Round 1, so statistically it is a very sound bet. That said, I personally couldn't touch, particularly after his last 2 weeks. Just seems like a tough ask to me. Again in defence of the bet though, Martin Kaymer did it in the US Open, so the last two majors have been won wire to wire.

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th Totally agree with Aidy on Owens bet. 20/1 is a pretty poor offer for any player to lead a major wire to wire. it's a classic bookies hype the hype and is aimed at the bigger market of punters that are not regular golf betters but have a go on the majors.. Mc Ilroy at Firestone played a much more Tiger like tournament, sitting in the pack and timing his run to perfection, pulling away in the straight. His path in the straight eased when passing one of the games perennial melters in Sergio Garcia. That 20/1 may look good if Mc Ilroy holds a 4 or 5 shot lead on the first day. If this market is available on the exchanges, I think there would be plenty of layers at bigger odds One further point to take in to account. Playing in a three ball over the first two days with the two other major winners will certainly not enhance his chances. Big galleries and the media scrum are not ideal for pressure free "rip the course up" golf.

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th Some other Rory stats that I can find. Has 12 career victories but 20 career first round leads or co-leads. Has converted 5 of those first round leads/co-leads into victories, 3 of them wire to wire (the 3 I mentioned above). Came closish to wire-to-wire win on one of those 2 other occasions, where he led at the end of Rounds 1 & 2 of the 2011 USB Hong Kong Open but was 5th after Round 3, 3 shots off the lead. Would end up shooting -5 on Sunday to win by 2.

Who you fancying for this Aidy' date=' any thoughts?[/quote'] Hi mate. I backed Justin Rose @ 19.5 on Betfair and Ryan Moore @ 80 on Betfair. Haven't had much of a look at this one but there have been signs that Rose is getting back to near his best. Won the Quicken Loans, played well in the British Open to finish T23 and last week finished T4 in the Bridgestone. He was T3 in this event two years back and I can see him threatening this week. Ryan Moore is playing really well at the moment and 80 is far too big a price. Last four tournaments he has finished 5th in the Travelers, 7th in the John Deere, 12th in the Open and 8th in the Bridgestone. Can't beat a player in good form coming into a major championship so these two are my bets for the week.

He is 25/1 with skybet to lead all four rounds which if i had an account i would be happy to take. What you have to remember he has won his last two tournaments and one of them he lead after round 1 and all rounds so the price is going to be way tight the form he is in now compared to before the open is also major factor for me 25's is about right. Being honest i personally think he will go very close in this but i'm not so sure he will be leading after the 1st round i would though take a chance at 25's but no lower. McIllroy drifted to 22's to win the open the day before it an amazing price which i was happy to have some off but i think those day are now no more and bookies are slowly realising how good he is now and they will soon be offering silly short price every tournament Rory is in' date=' as was the case in Tiger Woods hey day unfortunately all good things come to an end but hey it was fun and profitable![/quote'] Fair enough Ted, if you are happy to take 25/1 that is always the punter's choice. And of course, the way he is playing at the moment he could win wire to wire. The way I look at it is, no matter how many times he has done it in the past, it is always extremely unlikely any player can lead wire to wire for a major. It has been done, but I'd want a lot bigger than 25/1 for a player to lead all 4. It wasn't too long ago, only a month or two ago that he was 20/1 to win the USPGA, now he is the same price to lead all 4 rounds. It's called missing the boat for me. I backed him at 25's for the Open last December, but couldn't touch him in any market this week coming.

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th I did a check for all wire-to-wire Major winners, and there are only 36 such winners in out of 430 majors since 1860's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_major_golf_championships#Wire-to-wire_major_victories), with 3 such occurrences happening this decide, 2 of which were Mcllory. Tiger did it 4 times during his peak in 2000's. However, there hasn't been a year which there were 3 wire-to-wire Major winners. It only happened twice in 1964 (Palmer - Masters, Nichols - PGA), 1980 (Ballesteros - Masters, Nicklaus, US), 2000 (Woods - US & Open) and this year (Kaymer - US, Mcllory - Open).

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th You'd think if McIlroy does win this week he'll wire to wire. I'm guessing his 2 wins recently will have taken a lot out of him so mustering up the mental strength and maybe even motivation to win from behind may not come easy.

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th Tournament preview: 1pt ew J.Furyk to win USPGA 40/1 Boylesports (1/4 1-5) Jack Nicklaus designed courses are very quirky things and you either take to them or you don’t. Generally the same style of player goes well on this course and that is those who hit greens in regulation and who have belief in the short stick and can scramble well. One such man is Jim Furyk and he has a wonderful record on Nicklaus courses. In the three main tournaments on Nicklaus courses on the PGA Tour – the Heritage, the Honda Classic and the Memorial, Furyk has a win and no fewer than 11 top ten’s since 2003. He even went well around here in the Ryder Cup in 2008. Furyk hasn’t been outside the top 20 in his last five events and should probably have won in Canada a couple of weeks ago. He was second in this last year and looks to have everything ready to go one better here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/uspga-championship-betting-jim-furyk-has-everything-needed-to-end-his-drought

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th Top Continental European preview: 1pt ew T.Bjorn Top Continental European 20/1 Betfred (1/5 1-4) When a course is set up for strong iron play then Thomas Bjorn is your man and it is probably no surprise that he has an excellent record around Nicklaus designed courses on the European Tour. He has a couple of top 10s in the BMW International Open in Germany while Crans-sur-Sierre is almost his own having won twice in the last three outings there. He also has a win around Gleneagles and went well in China last year. Bjorn is a magician with an iron in his hand, especially the wedges and his short game is up there with anyone’s. If he gets the short stick working Bjorn will go close here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/uspga-championship-betting-thomas-bjorn-can-enjoy-life-at-valhalla-once-again

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th Top GB & Ire preview: 2pts ew G.McDowell Top GB & Ire player 10/1 BetVictor (1/4 1-3) Graeme McDowell is in good form having had five top 10s in his last five outings including a win in France. Although he’s been on the leaderboard each week he hasn’t really been bang in contention in the last two events so he should be a little fresher than those above him in this market. McDowell has a liking for Nicklaus courses having won The Heritage last year and he has a stack of top 10 finishes on them aside from that. That’s no surprise because Gmac is a top putter and good iron player and at 10/1 he’s a shade too big in this market. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/uspga-championship-betting-graeme-mcdowell-can-continue-his-good-form-at-valhalla

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th Top 20 preview: 2pts R.Palmer Top 20 finish 15/2 Betfair One man with a very good record in events on Nicklaus courses is Ryan Palmer and he’s a big price to go well this week. He was a runner up in both the Honda Classic and the Humana this year which is good form and shows he has a liking for these sort of courses. Palmer sits in the top 30 in Greens in Regulation on the tour this year so at 15/2 he looks a good bet to land a top 20 finish here. 1pt R.Henley Top 20 finish 12/1 Ladbrokes Another man who clearly likes Nicklaus designed layouts is Russell Henley. Henley went one better than Palmer in the Honda earlier in the year when he landed the four man playoff and he has three top 15 finishes in five other starts around the main Nicklaus courses used on the PGA Tour so he goes well on them. Henley’s form isn’t as good in recent times but this course should really suit him and at 12/1 he should give us a decent run for a top 20 finish. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/uspga-championship-betting-two-americans-can-enjoy-the-nicklaus-set-up-this-week

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th First round bets: Marc Leishman first round leader 50/1 paddy power The few weeks he has been one of the form players and with him being one of the early starters he has great chance being one of the early leaders Rickie Fowler first round leader 28/1 paddy power Well what can you say about him he is very consistent and is always for the majors and with a course that needs big hitters of the tee he has the game to do well Robert Karlsson first round leader 80/1 paddy power He has great chance of being top swede because of his performances in the majors this year and also you need big hitters on this course so this course should suit him Bubba Watson first round leader 40/1 paddy power Dont let the open performance put you off he is more suited to these type of courses where you have to hit long and with the large greens he is capable getting quite a few birdies and gettting a low round Gary Woodland first round leader 80/1 paddy power Im still waiting for him do well in these majors as he is talented so this cousre should be right for him with driving accuracy and long distance the key to doing well on this course also putting is key as well Three ball bets: Marc Leishman to beat Wiesberger and Weekley in three ball evens paddy power He should win this one with his opponents not quite playing as well as him and also they have not got the experience of playing in majors and big tournaments Jamie Donaldson to beat Cink and Kim in three ball 11/8 paddy power I like the lokk of him as he is a very solid player and should do enough to beat his opponents as the last few months they have been average at best Players to miss the cut: Luke Donald 7/4 paddy power Kenny Perry 8/11 paddy power Lee Westwood 15/8 paddy power Tiger Woods 5/4 paddy power Well im happy to bet on these three as the two players who a year ago were playing great are now not in form and have a great chance of not making the cut especially on a tough course like this one but Perry is different he is playing well but that is on the senior circuit so playing with better players might find him out and Tiger has injury problems so he has a great chance of missing the cut Top Nationality: Marc Leishman top australian 5/1 paddy power Robert Karlsson top continental european 10/1 paddy power Kenny Perry top senior 5/2 paddy power The top australian market is between Scott and Leishman but leishman has better value and is playing well the same with Karlsson and Perry who have great odds and playing well with karlsson having his best season for a long time and perry going back to course that he played well on and came close to winning

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th As already covered brilliantly here, it's difficult to go against the class of the field this week. McIlroy is playing fantastically,Scott is...........Scott and Justin Rose is striking the ball brilliantly. Short priced winners have triumphed here inrecent times with Harrington 16/1 in 08 and Rors 20/1 in 12, so naturally it'sa real possibility that half of the places will be taken by these 3 guys. Notgreat! So where to look for value? I've read plenty of views this week stating that

bookmakers barboylesports gone ew. j.b. holmes angel cabrera thomas bjorn billy horschel interest midprices. brooks koepka kevin chappell stephen gallagher must also respected well long track where gir premium.>

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th US PGA Golf I think last weeks final round at Firestone showed how well Phil Mickelson is hitting the ball at the minute. His 62 was faultless and if he can bring his A-game here this course will suit him down to the ground. Keegan Bradley is a long hitter who is very accurate too and his recent form has been encouraging. He was 4th last week at the WGC and a decent 19th in the Open at Hoylake. He was 4th in the US Open and obviously won this tournament in 2011. He looks decent value at around 33/1. Another US player to take notice of this week is Brandt Snedeker, he could be a lively outsider and is playing well at present. Five top 25’s in the last six events makes him one of the most consistent players on tour right now and is too big at 66/1. Selections: All EW 6 places Mickelson 28/1 >BetVictor Snedeker 66/1 Stan James Bradley 35/1 Coral

Re: USPGA Championship > August 7th - 10th My 2 picks are: Dufner 140/1 BF Justin Rose 19.5/1 BF Dufner hasn't really got anywhere near to the form that he had of last year but he did win this event last year and was on fine form. 140/1 seems good value for a player who is generally very consistent and i think he could go well here. Justin Rose is getting back to his very best and is generally always up there threatening. Other than Rory i would probably put Justin as being the next most likely to pick up a win here and i think this will be too much for Rory based on the fact his 2 recent wins would take up a lot of energy. Not so much Physically but more mentally. Obviously he is a proffessional athlete and he wouldn't surprise me to take it down but i just don't think you can back him at 5/1. Rosier was also 4th last week and has had a pretty good yeat so definitely has the form going into this.

RICKIE FOWLER 66/1 E/W CORALS 1/4 1-5~Cant believe the price Fowler is for the last major Corals are very welcome to some of my hard earned at that price. Seems to be a different player when in comes to the majors has performed well in the first two this year and is currently going well in the Open surely its only a mater time before he wins one! Corals may be generous with Fowlers odds but there looking for mug punters to back Woods they have him 6/1 Fav what a joke there should be another 6 with that!!! Really happy with this bet looks sure to give another good account here best price 22's now way to short. You can get about 66's on betfair on Woods now his loyal supporters will be on but, not for me wouldn't touch him. DUSTIN JOHNSON 33/1 E/W CORALS 1/4 1-5~The big hitting yank has a great chance of winning a major currently lying 2nd in the open with two rounds to go not impossible he could win it and it will be very interesting to see how he goes being paired with McIlroy. He has threatened to win a major but has choked but the more he puts himself up there the better he will cope with it and 33's is a decent price indeed, i can't see it lasting.
NR Sturggled to find a couple more bets, Ror's is no value now at 5's but is the one to beat, Garcia & Rose at around 18's are shocking value IMO dont fancy Scott at 12's either have went for former winner KEEGAN BRADLEY 30/1 e/w 1-6 Betfair SB (McIlroy wins money back) was impressive last week knows what it takes to win this looks to hitting top form should get a good run for my doe. ALso had a couple of Quid on LEE WESTWOOD at 80's in poor form but worth a couple of pounds at that price couldn't resist it, has been written off so comes here well under the radar could surprise if he captures some of his old form. Have bet is a couple pounds on Betfair Martin Kaymer to be 1st round leader 90.00 has gone off boil since major win but shown in the past can lead after 18 holes looks overpriced to me. McIlroy is red hot and capable of anything in his current form so i'll throw a few quid on him getting a hole in one he is 100/1 with sporting bet i aint got an account there so i took 80's with Paddy Power the miserable sods. We have had the first three winners in the majors in the threads lets make it a clean sweep! Good Luck All.