** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Super League 2014 - Outright bets

kevshat

The new Super League season is just a week away so now is the time to get a thread open for any outright punts people are having. After the quality World Cup this should be a really good season with plenty of attention around it so hopefully we can find lots of winning punts. All things Super League outright in here :ok.

Re: Super League 2014 - Outright bets St Helens....5/1 at Hills to win the regular season. First thing I looked at are the teams that are just not good enough to win it... Those outside the top 7 in the betting. Second thing was the teams that promise so much, but, will be found out....Hull FC. Third thing was the teams that don't want to win it because it is pointless and means nothing, and usually affects their play-off....Leeds Fourth thing was teams that are managed by ex players from a previous generation, whose ideas are 20 years old....Salford. Fifth and finally, was teams that have lost key personnel. Warrington lost a bucketful, including Briers, which means we only have Gaz o Brien as an attacking halfback. Ratchford is a loose forward, whilst Myler creates absolutely nothing, and should be sent back to Widnes ASAP. Wigan have lost the wonderful Sam Tomkins and goal kicking machine Pat Richards. All of which, brings us down to Saints or Huddersfield. Hudds totally deserved their title last year and should go close again. But, I'd expect them to learn their play off lessons from last season and take it easy once a top 4 place is certain. Whereas, Saints will be looking for some silver wear. Gone are the days of Millward and fast flowing rugby, which was also fast ground dependant. This team showed, in parts, that they can mix it under any conditions. Home form should improve too, with it being their 3rd season at the new ground. They, look to me, to be the likeliest regular season winners.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Super League 2014 - Outright bets Season preview: 2pts Huddersfild Giants to win Regular Season 5/1 Bwin Huddersfield look good things to me though. They won the regular season shield with a week to spare last season and to my eye they look an even stronger unit on paper at least this season while many of their rivals look a touch weaker. Although they have lost a couple of players they have signed very strongly with Antonio Kaufusi and Chris Bailey good signings in particular. With their depth strengthened in the off season and a first thirteen capable of playing fantastic flowing rugby I think the Giants are the ones to beat for the first piece of Super League silverware of the season. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/super-league-betting-giants-can-retain-the-league-leaders-shield-title

Re: Super League 2014 - Outright bets Top Tryscorer preview: 1pt ew J.Carney Top Tryscorer 25/1 Betfred (1/4 1-4) I always try to look for the value in these season long markets and for me the value in this market likes with Castleford’s Justin Carney. Carney is an absolute beast who takes a hell of a lot of stopping. Despite plenty of brushes with the disciplinary panel last season he still came fifth in the try charts and Cas only really started playing when Darryl Powell took over. If Carney can stay away from the disciplinary meetings and concentrate on bulldozing down his wing he could well score plenty of tries this season and looks good value at 25/1 to top the try scoring charts. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/super-league-betting-justin-carney-can-bulldoze-his-way-to-the-top-of-the-try-lists

Re: Super League 2014 - Outright bets Man of Steel preview: 1pt D.Brough to win Man of Steel 12/1 Bet365 Brough stood out for Scotland in the World Cup so it isn’t just domestically he is performing to his best. His kicking game is head and shoulders the best in Super League right now but he leads by example, gets stuck in when in defence and attacks the line in attack a lot more. For me there isn’t a better player in Super League right now so I think the 12/1 on Brough winning back to back Man of Steel’s is perfectly fair. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/super-league-betting-danny-brough-can-hang-on-to-man-of-steel-crown

• 7 months later...

Re: Super League 2014 - Outright bets

St Helens....5/1 at Hills to win the regular season. First thing I looked at are the teams that are just not good enough to win it... Those outside the top 7 in the betting. Second thing was the teams that promise so much, but, will be found out....Hull FC. Third thing was the teams that don't want to win it because it is pointless and means nothing, and usually affects their play-off....Leeds Fourth thing was teams that are managed by ex players from a previous generation, whose ideas are 20 years old....Salford. Fifth and finally, was teams that have lost key personnel. Warrington lost a bucketful, including Briers, which means we only have Gaz o Brien as an attacking halfback. Ratchford is a loose forward, whilst Myler creates absolutely nothing, and should be sent back to Widnes ASAP. Wigan have lost the wonderful Sam Tomkins and goal kicking machine Pat Richards. All of which, brings us down to Saints or Huddersfield. Hudds totally deserved their title last year and should go close again. But, I'd expect them to learn their play off lessons from last season and take it easy once a top 4 place is certain. Whereas, Saints will be looking for some silver wear. Gone are the days of Millward and fast flowing rugby, which was also fast ground dependant. This team showed, in parts, that they can mix it under any conditions. Home form should improve too, with it being their 3rd season at the new ground. They, look to me, to be the likeliest regular season winners.
Lucky to get away with that, just got to find the betting slip now!

• 2 weeks later...