** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2014 Six Nations

Spankyf

[TABLE=class: couponTable]

[TR] [TH=class: firstColumn]Saturday 1 February 2014[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn] Wales v Italy (14:30 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 1.05 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 70 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 22 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]101.21 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn] France v England (17:00 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 1.69 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 26 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 2.72 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]99.78 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR] [TH][/TH] [TH=class: firstColumn]Sunday 2 February 2014[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn] Ireland v Scotland (15:00 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 1.18 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 34 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 7.4 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]101.07 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

Re: 2014 Six Nations [TABLE=class: couponTable]

[TR] [TH=class: firstColumn]Saturday 8 February 2014[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn] Ireland v Wales (14:30 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 1.86 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 28 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 2.3 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.81 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR=class: row1] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn] Scotland v England (17:00 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 7 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 38 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 1.2 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]100.25 %[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [/TR] [TR] [TH] [/TH] [TH=class: firstColumn]Sunday 9 February 2014[/TH] [TH]Home[/TH] [TH]Draw[/TH] [TH]Away[/TH] [TH=class: bppWidth]BPP[/TH] [/TR] [TR=class: row0] [TD]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn] France v Italy (15:00 GMT) [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 1.05 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 90 [/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd] 21 [/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp]101.11 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: 2014 Six Nations A bit too quiet in here so i'll grab some attention with a daring bet. Scotland England Scotland were in Ireland's face with great line speed in the first half but Ireland's pack won them the day along with some patient play in the second. The Scots leaked a couple of bad tries, with poor 2nd & 3rd defence failing to take Sexton on the first and woeful defence on the third. They'll have to be more fired up for this one and the team changes show there's no fear in shifting things around, although I am shocked Brown - who is a great 6 but played at 7 - has been dropped from the 23. I thought the halves were ok but they just couldn't get that magic ball away to finish off a play (not for lack of talent or trying by Hogg). Laidlaw need's a good game but the pack needs to provide him with some ball. I thought England did well but let it go in the last minute. Their scrum wasn't too pretty (Cole needs to adapt better to the non-hit technique) but managed the game well and despite some bonne chance for the French, they never let up - like the game against NZ in the Autumn. The bench performances were really good too and I thought Lancaster was dead right to go for broke. The young blood in the backline was good to see and there is a lot of belief there. No way France would have come within two at Twickenham IMO. Despite the momentum of the English I do think the value is on the home side. Given the history of the fixture in Scotland the 1.2 for England is a perfect example of a mug bet. Last time Scotland got beat by 10 to England was in 2004 and while they've failed to cover in recent seasons against Wales (2011 & 2013 by 18 and 10), they generally keep things tight and low scoring at Murrayfield in this competition. Allied to the fact that England haven't covered a -10 away at least as far back as 2010, I think the +10 is worth a punt given the low scoring nature of the game and the 'pudding-like' Murrayfield pitch. Here's hoping Scotland wise up on the lineouts, they take their opportunities and Ford actually hooks the ball. Scotland +10 @ 1.91

Re: 2014 Six Nations I must say as an Irishman I hate when we are favourites, we always play better when we are the underdogs. This is a very good Welsh side we are playing, yes they weren't great against Italy but they did what they had to do to win. I think Ireland are yet again being over-hyped just because we ran the All Blacks very close not too long ago. No doubt O'Connell being back is a huge boost for the Irish but I personally would price this game up Wales 10/11 Ireland 11/10.. Happy to back Wales at around 5/4. Ireland beat Wales in Cardiff last year but they nearly threw away a huge lead, I think Wales will be hungry. Wales WIN @ 5/4 Ladbrokes

Re: 2014 Six Nations Wales and Scotland double 8/1 Wales are a better side than Ireland. Man for man in in most areas of the pitch they are better hence why they had so many players in the Lions team. Yes, Ireland did well against the All Blacks but other than that one off game I don't see anything to suggest they can beat the best team in the 6 nations. Home advantage will help but Wales have a decent record over there. Scotland always raise there game against England and I can see an upset here. Ireland ground them down eventually mainly through have a more dominant pack which England don't really have. I think the value is on Wales and Scotland and I am taking 8/1 for the double.

Re: 2014 Six Nations Are france strong enough to cover the handcap here today? Whenever i've gone for big handicaps they have always been beaten, First instinct is again to go for France -19 but that seems a helluva handicap to cover. Any thoughts Guys?? before kick-off

• 2 weeks later...

Re: 2014 Six Nations Just looked (on Betfair) at tomorrow evening's prices on the Wales v France game. I was expecting France to be way odds-on, but Wales are the odds-on favourites. Wales got hammered last game and has players out-of-position, out-of-form and new/untried combinations at 9&10, 12&13 whilst France are unbeaten with a settled quality side. Oh, and Wales have never won a Friday evening 6N game in Cardiff. It's a no-brainer. Bet is: the mortgage on France to win @ 2.78. Never thought I'd say this but, Allez Les Bleus. Good luck all. Nobber.

Re: 2014 Six Nations Everything went for Wales last and Alain Rollande was very kind for once, Picamoles should never have been redcarded. Was great to see Webb get a game and for once Wales secured quick ball. North made a huge difference at centre and Priestland finally had a decent 80 mins although he nearly gifted Huget a try. Would like to have seen Mathew Morgan get a game at 10 this campaign but I doubt we'll see him till after the World Cup now.

Re: 2014 Six Nations

Please everyone, just ignore every/anything I post in future...I know SFA about rugby !!! Enjoyed all three games this weekend and managed to get all three wrong. I don't think I'm cut out to be a pundit !!!!!!!!
dont be too hard on yourself. 3 games are hardly enough data to base your "analysis" on

Re: 2014 Six Nations

Everything went for Wales last and Alain Rollande was very kind for once' date=' Picamoles should never have been redcarded. Was great to see Webb get a game and for once Wales secured quick ball. North made a huge difference at centre and Priestland finally had a decent 80 mins although he nearly gifted Huget a try. Would like to have seen Mathew Morgan get a game at 10 this campaign but I doubt we'll see him till after the World Cup now.[/quote'] Agree with all of that, especially re Morgan. Superb footballer and would be a shame not to see him get a shot at 10 in the future but not sure it will happen under Gatland. France were very poor and they are still without an identity. Knives are out for PSA on rugbyrama. Really are a much inferior outfit sans Dusatoir and I think the 2.62 for Ireland to top Pool D in the WC offers great early value. French have something like 3 wins from 11 now. Unlucky with the tip Nob, at least you're not afraid of putting your money where your mouth is.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: 2014 Six Nations France Ireland Opposing France has been very profitable since the 6N last year and there’s no doubt they’re less than the sum of their parts. Didn’t deserve to win in Scotland – or against England for that matter – but win they did. Does seem to be some bad vibes around the camp: banishing Picamoles (who went on to play a blinder for Toulouse that weekend), Mas storming out of a meeting with the press this morning and of course the coach Phillipe Saint-Andre, who’s doing his best Marc Lievremont impression. Calling the players cry-babies is silly (but not unprecedented) but to say they ‘controlled the match’ in Edinburgh is inviting ridicule with Bernard Laporte remarking that he’s ‘taking the piss’. Not wrong there. Looking at that game, they really only have the Scot’s to thank with a gift of an intercept try and a last minute breakdown transgression giving them the win. So it can be seen they are opportunistic and can convert when given a chance but very little structure to their game otherwise. They look like a Top 14 team looking to milk penalties and prey on mistakes. Typical team trying not to lose as opposed to one trying to win. Ireland have been performing well and are it’s great to see some consistency in the performances. That New Zealand game gave them so much confidence and when you consider Italy made 200+ tackles and still conceded 7 tries, their attacking prowess can’t be underestimated. They have put teams away in the second half and are using the bench to great effect. Their stats are incredible and even in the England game they’ve dominated every facet. The most important stat so far is their penalty count. Only two – two! – penalties against anybody in a test is quite something and it’s been the accuracy that has impressed me the most. Historically this matchup has been an easy win for France with Ireland 1 win in Paris in 43 years. Whatever about the French team appearing to be in disarray, the same situation existed when they fluked their way to a World Cup Final 3 years ago. This time i'm going against the historical stats and that their bonne chance will come to an end. Sexton will know a thing or two about the French, as will Schmidt and the game plans have been excellent from the coaching staff all campaign. Ireland have better players in the second row, half backs and generally a lot more familiarity with one another, despite a younger coaching regime. All four Irish provinces won in France this season with only Toulouse beating Connacht the only reversal. Do think Ireland will keep the tempo high, raise the game in the second and can score more tries than the hosts. Would hope the boys in green use some Australia tactics and sledge a bit, especially at Pape who’s a walking card. Also the small matter of Brian O’Driscoll’s last test. Would love to see him sign off with a title and think there’s a decent chance he will. Ireland -1 @ 1.91