** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Australian Open 2014

Re: Australian Open 2014 Back Casey Dellacqua to beat Eugenie Bouchard for a 6/10 stake at 3.00 with Bet365 In this sort of form, Casey Dellacqua should not be a 2/1 shot here. She has been playing tremendous tennis so far, she has played in the Rod Laver Arena before, and she is going to have the crowd on her side, which can be crucial given that neither of the two is proven at this level. Dellacqua had to beat tougher players on her way here than Bouchard, so this price looks a touch off to me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/dellacqua-vs-bouchard-betting-casey-dellacqua-can-go-one-step-further-in-melbourne-on-sunday

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Australian Open 2014 Back Tomas Berdych (-6.5) to beat Kevin Anderson for a 7/10 stake at 2.02 with Pinnacle Final bet for Sunday. Berdych leads the H2H record 9-0 and I just don't see Anderson turning things around at this very moment, as there is nothing speaking in his favor right now. Both Jiri Vesely and Edouard Roger-Vasselin nearly covered this handicap against him, so I fancy Berdych to get the job done with minimal fuss here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/berdych-vs-anderson-betting-tomas-berdych-to-get-his-tenth-victory-against-kevin-anderson

Re: Australian Open 2014 Florian Mayer vs David Ferrer Ferrer to win 3-1 3/1 skybet this will be tough for ferrer as his opponent is playing well and should at least win a set ferre has not been his clinical best but is still getting the job done Tomas Berdych vs Kevin Anderson over 37.5 games 10/11 skybet berdych to win 3-1 3/1 skybet at this stage of the tournament berdych seems to lose sets in every match and i think it will happen again his opponent is tough and his serve is good weapon so the first set could be tight Stanislas Wawrinka vs Tommy Robredo over 39.5 games 4/5 skybet wawrinka to win 3-1 11/4 skybet this is five sets all the way robredo is as tough as you can get while wawrinka is playing the best tennis of his life so expect this go on for hours with a long fifth set Angelique Kerber vs Flavia Pennetta over 21.5 games 4/5 skybet kerber to win 2-1 14/5 skybet well not much to choose these players i expect a battle which will be so tight that the last set last a while these two are desperate to win so expect drama Na Li vs Ekertina Makarova Li to win 2-1 3/1 skybet this will be battle and it is too close to call

Re: Australian Open 2014 Pennetta to beat Kerber 8/5 Boylesports Kerber has been her usual consistent self but hasn’t really been pushed. Riske lived up to her name in the last round against Kerber playing a series of risky shots. Some paid off and some didn’t. But it did show that Kerber is definitely beatable by an aggressive player a little more consistent than Riske. Enter Flavia Pennetta. I remember watching Pennetta beat Kerber 6-1 6-2 in Auckland and as the scoreline suggests she beat her comprehensively: winning almost twice as many points. That was a couple of years ago but if anything Pennetta has improved a little since then. Admittedly Kerber subsequently got her revenge in the French but different surfaces often yield different results. Yes Kerber is the highest ranked player and definitely the more consistent. But in my opinion if Panetta brings her A game then she definitely has the beating of Kerber.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Kevin Anderson to beat Tomas Berdych @ 8.80 Betfair Based on his form so far this season and during this tournament, there is very little to suggest that Anderson is playing well enough to compete with Berdych in this match. Despite that, I still think he has a better chance than is implied by his price. He struggled in the last round against Roger-Vasselin, but he showed real determination and mental strength in finding a way to win from two sets down. Berdych has made serene progress through the first three rounds, so much so that he has talked about how the heat has been his biggest challenge so far. Anderson is good enough on serve to potentially stay close to Berdych, even though his record against him is poor, and if he can somehow nick a set then it will be interesting to see how the Czech copes with the heat during a longer match. This will be the third year running that these players have met in this tournament, and although Berdych won both previous matches in straight sets there have been some tie-breaks so he hasn't had it all his own way. There is little doubt that Berdych is the superior player here, but if this match turns into a serving contest rather than a tennis match then Anderson could have a chance. I've mentioned in the past that I think Berdych sometimes gets frustrated when facing big servers, and if that happens and if the heat gets up then it could provide the ideal mix for an upset.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Back Simona Halep to beat Jelena Jankovic for a 6/10 stake at 1.73 with Pinnacle Halep leads the H2H record 2-1 and I think that she is a worthy favorite here. She has already bounced back from that horrible loss against Madison Keys and seems to be close to her best once again, while Jankovic looked quite average against Nara and seems to have benefited from her easy draw more than anything. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/halep-vs-jankovic-betting-simona-halep-to-defeat-the-world-s-number-eight Back Grigor Dimitrov (-3) to beat Roberto Bautista-Agut for a 6/10 stake at 2.00 with Pinnacle This should be the end of the road for Roberto Bautista-Agut. Massive victories for him against Juan Martin del Potro and Benoit Paire, but I nevertheless feel that they have to be taken with a grain of salt. And since things seem to be finally coming together for the Bulgarian, I believe that he is going to win this with something to spare. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/dimitrov-vs-bautista-agut-betting-grigor-dimitrov-has-what-it-takes-to-crush-roberto-bautista-agut

Re: Australian Open 2014 Back D.Cibulkova/M.Sharapova - Over 2.5 sets for a 4/10 stake at 2.50 with Bet365 Cibulkova has dropped just nine games on her way here and she has beaten Sharapova before, so I expect her to be very competitive in this one. Both her and Sharapova can be a bit inconsistent, however, so I like the chances of this going into the deciding set. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/cibulkova-vs-sharapova-betting-a-very-tight-match-could-be-on-the-cards-for-maria-sharapova-and-dominika-cibulkova Back G.Muguruza Blanco/A.Radwanska - Over 2.5 sets for a 4/10 stake at 2.37 with Bet365 Garbine Muguruza Blanco played superb tennis against Wozniacki apart from that choke in the first set, while Radwanska hasn't been able to find her best just yet, so this could turn into a really tight battle and perhaps even a three-setter. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/muguruza-blanco-vs-radwanska-betting-the-world-s-number-five-might-have-to-play-yet-another-three-setter-in-melbourne

Re: Australian Open 2014 We are now hitting the best part of the tournament for betting - the early rounds are far too unevenly matched and the later rounds are often - though not always - too close to call. These middle rounds are where there is money to be made and tonight looks like the best night of the tournament for betting. 1. Nadal, Murray and Dimitrov should all cover their respective handicaps although the price on Dimitrov just to win the match is good enough to take without having to complicate things with handicaps. All three players are a class above their respective opponents who should be found wanting at this stage of the tournament. 2. This is the big moment of the tournament for me. The last five Grand Slams - stretching back to the 2012 US Open - I have made big bucks on the game where Federer has lost in each tournament. Some of those bets were pre-match and some weren't. (I wasn't on Robredo or Stakhovsky pre-match as I am not a psychic!) Whether pre-match or in-play I have made good money lumping on Federer to lose in recent Grand Slams. The bookies are living in the past to a remarkable extent with regards to the odds they still offer on matches involving Federer. As an example, I took Robredo at 4/1 after around a set of his 2013 US Open straight sets win over Federer. Now is the time to take advantage of that fact in this tournament. There are different ways to play this. If you are feeling brave then I think that 7/5 on Tsonga is a gift and you should go in hard at that price. If you are feeling less brave, wait for Federer to lose a set (whether that be 1-0 or 1-1 and then take Tsonga at a slightly lower price because I don't think Federer could win a longer match against that high a ranked player any more. Or, again if you're feeling less brave don't put so much on Tsonga and hold some money back to recoup your losses by betting on Murray to beat Federer (as always) in their subsequent quarter final meeting. The choice is yours. Sadly, Federer is too old to compete at this level and my choice will be to lump on Tsonga pre-match at 7/5.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Na Li v Pennetta Pennetta to win a set evens Ladbrokes Pennetta can blow hot and cold; a perfect example was in the last round against Kerber where she blew Kerber away in the first yet looked a different player in the second. Suddenly she started missing shots she was making and playing more conservatively. But it did show that when she’s really on it she’s well up to taking a set off Na Li. Na Li is ultra consistent and can normally be relied on to beat opponents that she is ranked to beat. But in doing so; she often will struggle against opponents before finally sussing them out. A typical example of this was against Safarova in this tournament. Another example was against an injured Halep at Wimbledon where she was totally blown off court by Halep for one set before coming back to win. The head to heads give encouragement as well with Pennetta leading 2-1. The first two games were a long time ago so too much shouldn’t be read into those but Pennetta did win their last meeting 2-0. The important thing to take from that game was just how competitive Pennetta was in the rallies. She won 2/3 of her second serves and on Na Li’s serve won more points than she lost when she got the return in. That shows that she can easily be competitive and should have a great chance of taking a set.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Sharapova Ciblkova total sets 3 13/8 skybet Tricky one to call this. Sharapova must be delighted that her nemesis Serena Williams is out and that must surely give her an added incentive. But her form in this tournament has not been too impressive. Yes she showed great fighting qualities to come through 10-8 in the last against Knapp but it really shouldn’t have been that close. She also needed a tie break to see off Cornet in the last round. So it’s fair to say that she isn’t trouncing anyone. Cibulkova by contrast has looked very impressive only dropping a single game in the last two rounds. This has all the makings of a good match and I would be surprised if anyone ran away with it therefore 13/8 for three sets looks reasonable value.

Re: Australian Open 2014 I expect Torque to come out with a Wawrinka to beat Djokovic bet, can't wait to see his reasoning. Does anyone think this could be a potential upset? What a rematch, I will never forget their epic 5 hour 2 mins with 13 deuce-game in the fifth set last year. This is going to be an interesting week.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Grigor Dimitrov vs Roberto Bautista Agut over 39.5 games 10/11 paddy power both of these players could potetially be great players and this match could be great as there is not much between them Dominika Cibulkova vs Maria Sharpova over 21.5 games 4/5 skybet cibulkova to win 2-1 3/1 skybet sharapova struggled in her last match and is not that good in the heat while her opponent has really been impressive throughout the tournament

Re: Australian Open 2014 Nadal Nishikori under 30.5 games evens Ladbrokes Three 6/4 sets would be good enough to win this bet. Nadal was superb against Monfils and doesn't look in the mood to drop set. Neither can I see Nishikori being good enough to take this to tie break. Even if he did a 6/2 6/3 would still bring the bet in. The pair have played 13 sets in total that I know about and Nishikori has only won one of them (and that was on grass probably Nada's worse surface) So everything points to comfortable 3-0 Nadal victory.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Back S.Wawrinka/N.Djokovic - Over 3.5 sets for a 7/10 stake at 2.20 with Bet365 The two played two absolute Grand Slam epics last year and they are both playing well at the moment, so I expect to see yet another excellent contest here. Novak Djokovic is probably going to come out on top once again, but Wawrinka is more than good enough to take a set off the world's number two on Tuesday. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/wawrinka-vs-djokovic-betting-stanislas-wawrinka-can-keep-the-match-reasonably-tight Back Tomas Berdych (-2.5) to beat David Ferrer for a 6/10 stake at 1.95 with Pinnacle The history between the two suggests that the more in-form player usually takes this, so I am going to go with the Czech here. David Ferrer has been in a very suspect form for quite some time and he should get found out by the Czech in the quarterfinals. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/berdych-vs-ferrer-betting-tomas-berdych-to-defeat-the-world-s-number-seven-in-melbourne

Re: Australian Open 2014 Thanks guys for yours picks and reasoning :ok @Czech I think Thomas can't beat Berdych :D But i agree with you Ferrer was lucky yesterday against Mayer , but he make a big return in the 2nd set , i dont think he can play with this febrility against Berdych , who are in good form and higher classs than Mayer GL ALL

Re: Australian Open 2014 Kei Nishikori to beat Rafael Nadal @ 25.00 Betfair I've been opposing Nishikori so far in this tournament, but I was impressed with how he came back from a slow start to dismantle Young in straight sets in his last match. Although there's no question that Nadal looks imperious right now, and the expectation is for him to beat Nishikori with something to spare, in my opinion this is a value price on the Japanese. Nadal to beat the handicap is virtually a public bet, but it's not as though Nishikori is completely incapable of giving him a game here. As good as Nadal was in his last match, Monfils will probably think he could have done better. If Nishikori is able to play at the top of his game it still might not be enough to win, but it could see him trouble the handicap. Stephane Robert to beat Andy Murray @ 34.00 Betfair I can't see past Murray here, but even so I don't think there is any value in his price. As much as Robert is a veteran journeyman who is enjoying an unexpectedly deep run at a Grand Slam, he can play the game and he has lots of experience. He's had three handy wins in this tournament so far so should be feeling confident, and he will be under absolutely no pressure in this match. He acquitted himself well the last time he played someone of Murray's calibre at a Grand Slam, losing in three close sets against Gasquet at the US Open last year. A win here against Murray is probably beyond him, but he might be able to cover the handicap if he plays as well as he has been and if Murray plays within himself to save energy.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Back Ana Ivanovic (-4) to beat Eugenie Bouchard for a 6/10 stake at 2.02 with Pinnacle Ivanovic seems to be on fire right now, so can't see past her here to be honest. Eugenie Bouchard has been nothing special so far, so I don't exactly fancy the chances of an upset in this one. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/ivanovic-vs-bouchard-betting-ana-ivanovic-can-take-her-2014-record-to-10-0-on-tuesday- Back N.Li/F.Pennetta - Over 20.5 games for a 6/10 stake at 1.90 with Pinnacle The other quarterfinal, on the other hand, could be a tight affair. Na Li will be the favorite and I certainly hope that she will be able to go through to the semis, but Pennetta is playing very well at the moment and should be able to trouble the Chinese number one on Tuesday. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/pennetta-vs-li-betting-the-battle-of-two-experienced-campaigners-should-have-some-mileage

Re: Australian Open 2014 Grigor Dimitrov vs. Roberto Bautista This may not be the most interesting fourth round duel of the 2014 Australian Open, at least on paper as we have also got a clash between Roger Federer and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in this stage of the tournament, but the match between Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov and Spaniard Roberto Bautista surely deserves our attention. The 22-year-old Grigor Dimitrov is rated as one of the most talented youngsters on the ATP World Tour and often nicknamed as "Baby Federer" due to the similarity in their ground strokes, particularly off the backhand side. Dimitrov enjoyed a very successful junior career, in which he held the world Nr.1 ranking and won the boy's singles titles at the 2008 Wimbledon Championships and the 2008 US Open. Dimitrov considers the backhand down the line as his favorite shot and his favorite surfaces are hard court and grass. He really has an enormous potential and could easily become one of the top players in next years but often has problems to show his best tennis on a regular basis. Still he achieved some really good results in last 12 months including a win over Djokovic in Madrid and his carrer-first ATP Tour title in Stockholm. This match can also be described as a clash between pure talent and hard work as the 25-year-old Spaniard Roberto Bautista belongs to the category of players that make most of their skills thanks to their hard work. Do not get it wrong, Bautista is very solid player but he really doesn´t have any top class shot in his tennis arsenal and is winning mainly thanks to his consistency. Last season was his first full season on the ATP Tour after his success on the lower level in 2012 and he did well on that level and even broke into Top50. Bautista considers forehand his best shot and admires his countryman David Ferrer and we can really find some similarities between these two players. He started this season in a disappointing way as he did not defend his final points in Chennai from last season, loosing already in the first round and he would hardly expect that the next weeks will be best of his career. Bautista reached the semifinal in Auckland, where he lost to Isner despite serving for the match and mainly achieved career-best win over Juan Martin Del Potro here in Melbourne, defeating the Argentine giant in five sets. He has also defeated Smyczek and Paire here, so no doubt that he is playing some great tennis now. The two have already met twice with both players winning on one occassion and it was the Spaniard who won their most recent meeting on hard court in China last year. Still if Dimitrov wants to become one of the best he really has to win matches like this and book his place in the quarterfinal against Nadal most probably as he has all the weapons to easily beat players of Bautista´s caliber. Of course talent alone will not win you any matches but this time we believe that it will be enough and expect a solid victory for Grigor Dimitrov here. The handicap of -3 games is set pretty low and you can also try higher lines if you are not aware of higher risk. Starting Time: 20 January 2014, 3:10 CET Bet: Dimitrov -3 games Odds: 1.943 Stake: 8 units Bookmaker: Pinnacle Sports

Re: Australian Open 2014 NADAL-NISHIKORI Under32.5 games @1.67 on betcity For me Nadal is in good form , and i think he know, he dont have time to lose at this stage of tournament , he have to keep energy for quarter/demi and final . In this Optic i can see maybe an 6-4 6-4 6-1 for Nadal in H2H Nishikori has take a set on grass in 2008 against Nadal , and nothing since that GL ALL

Re: Australian Open 2014 1 pick for the Australian Open: MURRAY TO DEFEAT FEDERER @ 2.15 on pinnaclesports Murray is a better player than Federer currently and has been for the last 2 years. The Head2Head is 11-9 to Murray all-time. Federer lost to Hewitt (who plays similar to Murray) in Brisbane two weeks ago. At least a 50/50 match for me with odds of 2.15.

Re: Australian Open 2014 10pts David Ferrer to beat Tomas Berdych @ 2.38 (Betfair) I cannot for the life of me see where the optimism for Berdych is coming from. Berdych is, simply put, a one-dimensional player who's incapable of adjusting his style of play against opponents with a more varied game. There's a reason why Ferrer is where he is - and has been for years. For a player without significant talent in his arsenal to threaten the finest talents of this generation (amongst whom are three who will go down in history as all-time greats), Ferrer's workmanlike performances have very clearly set him apart from just about everyone else on tour outside the Big 4. Interestingly, two of Berdych's wins against Ferrer came at the end-of-season London (in 2011 and 2013) tournament where Ferrer is notorious for being jaded come the year's end. Take those two results aside, I cannot even see Berdych threatening Ferrer much in their meetings over the years. On pedigree, experience and work ethic, Ferrer is miles ahead of Berdych. I'd gladly back Ferrer at 1.50 for this one - at 2.38, Ferrrer will be the biggest bet of the tournament for me so far. By my reckoning, Berdych will not even have what it takes to push Ferrer to 5 sets.

Re: Australian Open 2014

1 pick for the Australian Open: MURRAY TO DEFEAT FEDERER @ 2.15 on pinnaclesports Murray is a better player than Federer currently and has been for the last 2 years. The Head2Head is 11-9 to Murray all-time. Federer lost to Hewitt (who plays similar to Murray) in Brisbane two weeks ago. At least a 50/50 match for me with odds of 2.15.
That's a fair comment, and on first glance, 2.15 on Murray to beat Federer is crazy odds and should be snapped up before the bookies realise their mistake. However, all that said, two points should be kept in mind: 1) Murray has very little game time since his back surgery and although he's performed pretty well since arriving in Melbourne, he still showed some signs of flakiness, like fluffing three matchpoints in the third set against Robert, also the way he capitulated to Mayer a few weeks ago was pretty shocking, assume it was injury related though. My point anyway is that in the longer matches, Murray is gonna show some signs of weakness. However, If he can wrap this up in three sets, then that won't be an issue. 2) Which brings me to my next point, Federer was impressive against Tsonga, admittedly Tsonga was pretty poor, but Fed was the dominant player through most of the match, even when his first serve wasn't firing, his second serve and netplay was still giving Tsonga plenty of problems, and so I don't see Murray wrapping this up in three sets, which means Murray is gonna experience some problems, whether it's enough to prevent him winning the match in four, or perhaps five sets, I can't say. Heart says Federer, but Head says Murray, 3 sets to 1, so yes, definitely worth taking those 2.15 odds if they're still to be had.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Ana Ivanovic vs Eugenie Bouchard ivanovic to win 4.5 handicap evens paddy power i think it is a step to far for bouchard as she has played well to get this far also ivanovic had a great win the last round against serena and she is full of confidence Tomas Berdych vs David Ferrer ferrer to win 3-1 9/2 skybet it is too close too call as they are evenly match but is this going to be the berdych who has improved last year or the one that comes up short

Re: Australian Open 2014 David Ferrer(-3.5 games) to beat Tomas Berdych Aussie Open Quarter-Final @3.25 Paddy Power (5/10) As others have stated, I havent got a clue why the bookies have Berdych favourite for this.I can see this very similar to the Mayer match with DF grinding TB down after a close opening set.The 2.38 betfair offering is good but I'm, confident DF can win with a minus 3.5 game handicap. 5 pts win Stanislas Wawrinka to win a set vs Novak Djokovic Aussie Open Quarter-Final @2.38 William Hill (4/10) Djokovic has looked like he's been in 2nd gear this whole tournament & still took apart Istomin & Fogini in the last two rounds.Wawrinka no doubt steps up his game in the Majors & will prove a tough test for ND. In the last two majors between these two its gone to five sets & I'm expecting another close one. I can see Wawrinka taking a set.4 pts win Roger Federer(-2.5games) to beat Andy Murray Aussie Open Quarter-Final @2.38 Paddy Power (4/10) Federer is playing some outstanding tennis this tournament & looks like he's actually enjoying playing again. I watched his match vs Tsonga & he totalled schooled him for the majority.Murray has also been playing well but seems to switch off for periods like his match vs Robert which is slightly worrying. If he does the same vs RF, he could see himself a couple of sets down & out of the Aussie Open.Six months ago, I would have gone Murray but I really think RF is at the top of his game right now & thats alot to do with his new coaching team..4 pts win :hope

Re: Australian Open 2014 Stanislas Wawrinka to beat Novak Djokovic @ 10.00 Betfair The hard facts are that Wawrinka has not beaten Djokovic in over seven years and has also never beaten him at a Grand Slam, which helps to explain why the Serb is such a big favourite in this match. For some reason though, Wawrinka appears to be more competitive when playing Djokovic in best of five set matches, as was the case last year at this tournament and also the US Open. Going back to around the time that Wawrinka last beat Djokovic they played each other in a Davis Cup rubber that went to five sets, and so it does seem as though the Swiss prefers to play Djokovic when the format is longer. If this does turn out to be a long match then Wawrinka might have a slight advantage, as he didn't play a full match against Golubev in the first round and he got a walkover against Pospisil in round three. Given his form and how close he came to knocking Djokovic out here last year, Wawrinka will surely fancy his chances of going one better this year and getting the win.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Back S.Halep/D.Cibulkova - Over 21.5 games for a 6/10 stake at 1.96 with Pinnacle Both Halep and Cibulkova are near their very best at the moment, so this could be a truly cracking match with plenty of momentum swings and great baseline rallies. Throw in the fact that neither of the two is extremely consistent and I believe that the overs are the way to go here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/halep-vs-cibulkova-betting-a-very-tight-battle-is-expected-in-the-match-between-two-in-form-players Back Agnieszka Radwanska to beat Viktoria Azarenka for a 2/10 stake at 5.84 with Pinnacle Neither of the two has been especially convincing so far in this event, so going with the much higher price here. If the trend of shaky performances continues, Radwanska will have every chance with her consistent shot-making, so this price looks worth taking to me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/radwanska-vs-azarenka-betting-agnieszka-radwanska-looks-value-against-the-reigning-champion