** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Australian Open 2014

Re: Australian Open 2014 I also disagree with many of Torque's picks but I respect the work he has put on this board and I think many people are being overly critical of his picks. This is a public forum and everyone is free to follow or not follow any particular pick. With that being said, it'll take only one or two picks for Torque to see some green.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Australian Open 2014 Govortsova to bt Radwanska @10.23 local bookie (1/10) This bet is based on the observation that Aga has problems with her shoulder since the end of Hopman Cup. She handed out the match in Sydney to Bethanie Mattek-Sands last week and she went into three sets with Putintseva. Govortsova already forced her to retire once (New Haven 2012), which was kinda revenge for Aga doing the same at Wimbledon 2011 :-) Quite possibly the heat plus the shoulder will make the result. As an accompagnying bet, I also go for Govortsova - Radwanska 18,5+ games @2.20 local bookie (2/10)

Re: Australian Open 2014

That is not much input' date=' is it? Everyone takes whatever bets he/she likes. Nobody is forcing you to take those bets - if you think that they are ridiculous, you can simply decide to not follow them. You may be a better tipster than Torque, you may even be the best of them all. Why not share some picks and views then?[/quote'] I don't take the bets, but i mean in general that the results in advantage of the bookies last night. So, let us bounce back next night. I like everyone who shares picks here and hope we can make all profit.

Re: Australian Open 2014 See some decent value in Simon, Lu and Kyrgios this night. All players are underrated by the bookies in my opinion. Simon showed in the first round he is totally fit, had some luck and safe some matchpoints. But all with all, Cilic was also poor. Lu is in great form this year, Dimitrov don't showed his best tennis till now. For me 50/50 and maybe Lu is a bit more fav after his perfomances this year. Paire, i don't like him the last months. Also not great this year and Kyrgios with the crowd can be amazing things in my eyes. Hanescu - Raonic over 3.5 sets and Lajovic +9 games also bets for me. Nishikori don't good in the first round and 63 63 63 is enough for a push on Lajovic side, must be possible i guess.

Re: Australian Open 2014 McHale to beat Wozniacki handicap +5.5 Skybet 5/6 I’ve never been totally convinced by Wozniacki and feel the high rankings that she has achieved somewhat flatters her. She had an easy first round match losing just the two games. But this is the exception rather than the rule as she rarely thrashes opponents. McHale is a very solid player and rarely gets turned over by counter punchers such as Wozniacki. In fact she actually leads their head to heads 2-1 (one each on a hard court) There is every reason to think she will keep this close and I believe it would be a mammoth task for Wozniacki to cover the 5.5 games handicap.

Re: Australian Open 2014 a few selections for the second round: Marin Cilic vs Gilles Simon over 35.5 games 4/5 paddy power this match has a chance of going to a fifth set as they is not much to choose from while cilic was not too impressive in his first match simon was pretty good in his so expect quite few breaks of serve and some tight sets as well Jo Wilfried Tsonga vs Thomaz Bellucci over 34.5 games 4/5 skybet Tsonga to win 3-1 14/5 skybet well tsonga should win in three but he has tough opponent and tsonga has just come back from injury also the heat is causing problems for the players i expect tsonga to drop a set Jack Sock vs Gael Monfils over 32.5 games 4/5 paddy power Monfils to win 3-1 11/4 skybet i have been impreesed with young player and i think he could give monfils a match maybe winning a set onfils in playing great at the moment and should win but dont underestimate his opponent as he is talented Dusan Lajovic vs Kei Nishikori over 30.5 games 4/5 paddy power im been impressed with lajovic in his first round match and can cause nishikori some problems as he is not playing his best the overs looks the best bet as i think the first set will be tight Yen Hsun Lu vs Grigor Dimitrov over 39.5 games 10/11 paddy power well lu has been playing great lately and his opponent is not playing as good but will be up for this match as well his opponent so expect a four or five set match and maybe not many breaks of serve Christina Mchale vs Caroline Wozniacki over 19.5 games 8/11 skybet im still not sure about wozniacki as she always struggles in early rounds of grand slams and her opponent is tough player so expect a tough match for wozniacki it might just go three sets Agnieszka Radwanska vs Olga Govortsova over 17.5 games 4/5 paddy power i expect Radwanska to win this but will her opponent will make it tough for her as she has been impressive and also radwanska struggled in her first match and maybe the heat might get to her

Re: Australian Open 2014 Dusan Lajovic to beat Kei Nishikori @ 11.00 Betfair I agree with what's been said about this match so far, and in particular that Nishikori's physical fragility could be a factor in a possible surprise loss for the Japanese. Five sets against Matosevic is unlikely to have helped him ahead of facing Lajovic, even though the Serb hasn't had that much success on the main tour. If this does develop into a physical battle, which must be a possibility due to the conditions, then this match could go either way and so Lajovic is the player I want to be on at this price.

Re: Australian Open 2014 4pts Over 35.5 games V.Hanescu Vs M.Raonic 1.80 Bet365 2pts V.Hanescu to beat M.Raonic 6.00 Bet365 I will take on Raonic with a few extra points here as he now faces a player that can beat him. Traver was a clay only player with no real serve but Hanescu although also a clay player, can serve well and so Id expect the games to be overs atleast. head-2-head is 1-1. Aslong as Hanescu serves as well as he did in the previous round Id say he can win here and 5/1 is huge. 3pts G.Simon to beat M.Cilic 4.00 Bet365 If this one actually finishes then big value on Simon here too. Head-2-head is 3-0 to Simon so I'm abit baffled by 3/1 on Simon. I think even if Cilic goes out to a big lead, Simon will probably retire with his injury concerns :P 3pts Hsun-Lu to beat G.Dimitrov 2.70 Boylesport Lu has some very good form so far this year. He has won 6 out of his 7 so far, losing to Isner. Both are big servers but Dimitrov hasn't shown the best of form as of late and there is abit of value here on Lu.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Thomaz Bellucci to beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga @ 13.00 Betfair Bellucci has gone backwards during the last few years after breaking into the top 30 in the rankings, and he spent the latter part of last season playing Challengers on clay. Even so, the fact that he has been as high as he has in the rankings shows that he is talented. Rankings are mainly a measure of consistency rather than ability in my opinion, and so if Bellucci plays as well as he can do and if Tsonga has a bad day he could have a chance. Tsonga didn't convince me in his match against Volandri who is poor on hard, and although he might have been holding back to conserve energy I still think he should have beaten the Italian more easily than he did. Small stakes but the Brazilian offers some value here in my opinion. Teymuraz Gabashvili to beat Fernando Verdasco @ 7.60 Betfair Gabashvili hammered Stakhovsky in his first match here, and although I didn't watch the match I suspect the Ukranian must have been injured or wilted in the heat because I don't think Gabashvili would have won so easily otherwise. Even so, Gabashvili played well and was clinical in making his way through to the next round, and for me that's a good sign going into this match against Verdasco. The Spaniard dropped the first set in his first round match against Ze Zhang who he was expected to beat easily, and the match was finely poised in the second set before Verdasco pulled away to win in four. I don't think Verdasco is the most reliable player around, and that's enough of a reason for me to think he is too short in this match. Gabashvili is enigmatic and inconsistent, but if he is in the right mood he can challenge Verdasco here. Jack Sock to beat Gael Monfils @ 9.20 Betfair Definite value on the young American Sock in this match in my opinion. He did reasonably well in Auckland before this tournament, beating Mannarino and Haas before being beaten by Bautista Agut, and he beat Kamke in his first round match here even though the German was favoured to progress. Monfils made the final in Qatar ahead of this tournament, losing in three sets to Nadal, and he played well in beating Harrison in straight sets in his first round match. My problem with Monfils being so short in this match is the same as my problem with Nishikori, and that's his physical condition. He often has little niggles in matches and he has spent plenty of time injured during his career, and the conditions in this tournament are so difficult I wouldn't want to back him as a result. Some are tipping Sock for a breakthrough year, and if he is to have one this might be where it starts. Roberto Bautista Agut to beat Juan Martin Del Potro @ 13.00 Betfair Back in the days when I used to look at short prices and sometimes think they might have some value, I backed Del Potro to beat Chardy in this tournament. That was last year, and in all honesty I'm still smarting at how he contrived to lose against the Frenchman, who was around 20.00 on the exchanges for the win. That said, I'm not opposing him in this match because of any bias, it's because I think Bautista Agut could cause the Argentine problems. Because he is Spanish, the assumption is that he is a clay court player but I actually think he is quite good on hard. He was impressive in his first round match against Smyczek, winning in straight sets for the loss of only four games, and the week before that in Auckland he made the last four before losing to Isner in three sets. Like Isner, Del Potro is also a big server and although there is much more to his game than that, personally I don't like his body language on court. He has a languid style and appearance, and sometimes his head appears to go down. Negative body language like that can give his opponents a boost in my opinion, and if he still has the loss against Chardy last year on his mind he might not play his best tennis. Dropping a set against Williams in his first round match, even though it was a tie-break, doesn't exactly inspire confidence and so I'm going with Bautista Agut who is playing well.

Re: Australian Open 2014 I see great value in the first set to go to a tie break in the Paire v Kyrgios match at odds of 4 offered by bet365 and ladbrokes. Both lads are big servers and this could prove a value bet. Kyrgios had a massive 34 aces in his match against Benjamin Becker and won over 90% of points when he got his first serve in. Paire also had 24 aces against Dancevic - which is huge too. He too won 90% of points on his first serve. This could potentially be an oversight from the bookies. On a separate note, you can see my picks on the glory hunters forum called 'Ausi Open Glory Hunt'. I'm over 12pts in profit so far. Good luck all.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Karin Knapp to beat Maria Sharapova Aussie Open 1st Rd @20 Betfair (2/10) I really was not impressed by Sharapova last round & got through due her opponent throwing away important points. The heat is going to be a major factor & maybe thats one reason why MS look so poor.Again temperature will be around 42c when this match is played in a couple of hours.KK sailed through her last match vs Ormaechea impressively 6-4 6-2.If I could pick who will cope better in the weather conditions will be Knapp.MS is there for the taking & at odds of 20.00 I'm willing to stick 2pts on it.Odds were at 22.00 As above but I'm also doing Knapp(+1.5 sets) to beat Sharapova @5.4 Betvictor (3/10) Going to follow junesixth bet on Bellucci. Bellucci to win a set vs JW Tsonga @2.5 Bwin (4/10) Good Luck all :hope

Re: Australian Open 2014 Stephane Robert v Michal Przysiezny This is a very interesting match because neither of these players have ever progressed to 3rd round of a slam. They will never get a better chance so I can see his one going to a decider with both players giving there all. Robert is a journeyman but has been in a few 2nd rounds at slams and more experienced than his opponent at this level. Przysiezny is a strange player who can beat a top 50 player one week then lose to a player ranked 400 odd the next time. The pole is at his highest ranking of 60 with Robert 120 but I don't think there is much difference in quality here and can see a long match. Robert to win 3-2 6/1 (Bet365) Przysieny to win 3-2 5/1 (Bet365)

Jerzy Janowicz - Pablo Andujar over 36 @1.93 Pinnacle 5/10
4:6 7:6 7:6 6:3 - 45 games Marin Cilic - Gilles Simon Cilic -5 games @2.05 Pinnacle 4/10 Cilic was very bad in first 2 sets in first round, but then he start playing better... Simon is injured, and after very hard match against Brands, I don't think that he will have enogh power to cope with Cilic today... He win 3:2 in that match against Brands, but his ankle is in bad condition... Cilic is great server, so I really don't see how Simon can endanger his service... I've been thinking about under 40.5 games and this handicap, but at the end I take handicap because Simon may take set... Sorry for bad english, but I hope that you understand me...

Re: Australian Open 2014 Did anyone watch the Camila Giorgi match?What a match it was,i still cant believe she lost.She outplayed her 25th ranked opponent but some bad unforced errors,volleys in particular or going too long when her opponent was beaten.Some of the line judge calls were shocking.What im trying to say is Camila Gorgi is wort a punt the next time she plays.

Did anyone watch the Camila Giorgi match?What a match it was' date='i still cant believe she lost.She outplayed her 25th ranked opponent but some bad unforced errors,volleys in particular or going too long when her opponent was beaten.Some of the line judge calls were shocking.What im trying to say is Camila Gorgi is wort a punt the next time she plays.[/quote'] I see you just discovered Giorgi. Apart from her beautiful appearance, her game is really hit and miss. UE could go sky high and frustrating to bet on.

Re: Australian Open 2014 No luck in the tie-breaks and Lajovic not winning the third set from *5-3 didn't help either. :( :( :( Back Jeremy Chardy to beat David Ferrer for a 4/10 stake at 3.62 with Pinnacle Must-take I would say. Jeremy Chardy is much better than Gonzalez and Mannarino, so if those two troubled Ferrer, Chardy can take him out. He has done that before, he looked very good against Dolgopolov, and he has the big game that is required for putting Ferrer out of his comfort zone. The Spaniard is yet to find his range in this season, so Chardy looks like a good bet here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/chardy-vs-ferrer-betting-jeremy-chardy-to-take-advantage-of-ferrer-s-bad-form

Re: Australian Open 2014 Back Tommy Robredo to beat Richard Gasquet for a 4/10 stake at 2.82 with Pinnacle The price might rise a little bit, as I guess that Gasquet will be the "public bet" here, but I won't have much time to post later on. Basically, this could be the nightmare match-up for Gasquet, as he often struggles against players that make him play those extra shots. Robredo will do exactly that and he won't mind going to the distance, which Gasquet might, as there are plenty of rumors about him being a bit suspect fitness-wise at the moment. Over three sets, I would take Gasquet, but I am more than happy to chance Robredo over five. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/robredo-vs-gasquet-betting-tommy-robredo-can-prove-his-qualities-once-again

Re: Australian Open 2014 Back Sam Querrey to beat Fabio Fognini for a 6/10 stake at 1.59 with Pinnacle Querrey is usually solid, Fognini is usually rather lackluster. Moreover, Querrey looked good against Gulbis, while Fognini looked rather average against Nieminen. Over five sets, consistency is what usually wins and Fognini is virtually guaranteed to give something away at some point, so fancy Querrey to come out on top at the end of the day. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/querrey-vs-fognini-betting-the-rock-solid-american-should-be-too-strong-for-fabio-fognini

a few selections for the second round: Marin Cilic vs Gilles Simon over 35.5 games 4/5 paddy power this match has a chance of going to a fifth set as they is not much to choose from while cilic was not too impressive in his first match simon was pretty good in his so expect quite few breaks of serve and some tight sets as well Jo Wilfried Tsonga vs Thomaz Bellucci over 34.5 games 4/5 skybet Tsonga to win 3-1 14/5 skybet well tsonga should win in three but he has tough opponent and tsonga has just come back from injury also the heat is causing problems for the players i expect tsonga to drop a set Jack Sock vs Gael Monfils over 32.5 games 4/5 paddy power Monfils to win 3-1 11/4 skybet i have been impreesed with young player and i think he could give monfils a match maybe winning a set onfils in playing great at the moment and should win but dont underestimate his opponent as he is talented Dusan Lajovic vs Kei Nishikori over 30.5 games 4/5 paddy power im been impressed with lajovic in his first round match and can cause nishikori some problems as he is not playing his best the overs looks the best bet as i think the first set will be tight Yen Hsun Lu vs Grigor Dimitrov over 39.5 games 10/11 paddy power well lu has been playing great lately and his opponent is not playing as good but will be up for this match as well his opponent so expect a four or five set match and maybe not many breaks of serve Christina Mchale vs Caroline Wozniacki over 19.5 games 8/11 skybet im still not sure about wozniacki as she always struggles in early rounds of grand slams and her opponent is tough player so expect a tough match for wozniacki it might just go three sets Agnieszka Radwanska vs Olga Govortsova over 17.5 games 4/5 paddy power i expect Radwanska to win this but will her opponent will make it tough for her as she has been impressive and also radwanska struggled in her first match and maybe the heat might get to her
the cilic simon and sock and monfils came through and also both womens matches

Re: Australian Open 2014 Tommy Robredo vs Richard Gasquet 4 sets 11/8 skybet i would say this go to at least a fourth set as they will many breaks of serve and also robredo loves these big matches also the heat wont get to him as much as his opponent Eketerina Makarova vs Monica Niculescu over 20.5 games 8/11 skybet makarova to win 2-1 3/1 skybet well this will be interseting as it the improved player against the one that beat lisiki in the last round so expct a close match

Re: Australian Open 2014 I've been too greedy in Govortsova-ARad match :-( But today I've got the impression that the bookies have the wrong fav in Ivanovic-Stosur match. They play the evening session, again in the main Rod Laver arena, and we all know the Anna can get nervous very easy. I trust Sam that she got the confidence back (in both her previous matches she made more winners than UEs). H2H favours Sam on (i)hard 4-1. The atmosphere should be big as it was during Pironkova's match. Sam got used to the place, while Anna played her matches in Hinsense an later on show court 2 (that's how the home support should look like :-). Stosur to bt Ivanovic @2.22 local bookie (8/10)

Eketerina Makarova vs Monica Niculescu over 20.5 games 8/11 skybet makarova to win 2-1 3/1 skybet well this will be interseting as it the improved player against the one that beat lisiki in the last round so expct a close match
Niculescu hung in there against Lisicki and allowed the German to self destruct, as she often does She(Lisicki) made a f&ckload of unforced errors, and Niculescu had only 8 winners, would you believe! The Romanian's big strength is her unusual playing style which can throw off opponents and her ability to scamper after and return all but the most well placed of shots But if her opponent doesn't make many errors, she can come unstuck I just have a feeling that Makarova, who has a much better temperment than Lisicki, will have too many weapons for Niculescu

Re: Australian Open 2014 Just wondering is there any particular site that gives the best odds in-play when a player is behind?Have noticed Powers are usually pretty good judging from oddschecker but just wondering from anybody's experience in here what they think?

Re: Australian Open 2014 Jerzy Janowicz to beat Florian Mayer @ 2.5 Bet 365 I can understand why odds are against Janowicz, who got injured at the start of this season, played very bad against Dolgopolov in Sydney and then had very weak start to the tournament losing 2 sets against Thompson. But Janowicz is a player who gest stronger during major tournaments and he showed it here again with much better performance against Andujar. And once he got through two the third round I expect him to show his full strenght against Mayer, who had a very hard 5 sets - game in the heat against Youzhny. I might also take a double of Querrey @ 1.53 Bet 365 and Roger Vasselin @ 2.5 Bet 365 - Querrey has been superb so far ani he is a typical hard court player while Fognini prefers clay. Of cours Fognini has improved vastly on hard but I still feel Querrey should win this. Roger Vasselin is hard to break and I have not been impressed by the style of play shown by Anderson lately. I think odds should be around even here and I' consider Vasselin as a value bet. GL!!