** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Paul philips

Jezza

The "dot com" guy from the world poker tour... He made a fortune with an internet company in the early years of the net and retired young. Now he lives the life of a pro poker player playing the big live tourneys. He has already won one WPT event and came 2nd in another so he is doing all right....his online blog is here http://extempore.livejournal.com/ Worth reading if only for his rants on phil hellmuth - by god does he HATE him :rollin Jez

Re: Paul philips

Speaking of hellmuth, you might have heard that my man chad layne busted him at the rio with T9s against AA. Hellmuth made it 2800 preflop and then called off another 40K after two nines flopped. Nice read. According to chad, after phil saw chad's hand he punched the table and called him a "mother****er", "asshole", "idiot", "piece of shit", and other terms of endearment. Phil stormed off only to come back two hours later to tell him that he will "definitely get him down the road" and "will be gunning for him." The gentleman of poker does it again.
God what a tosser! Unless of course he was referring to himself? :tongue2 Id love to bust him in a tourny, love it (Kevin Keegan stylee)

Re: Paul philips :lol MrM yeah I read that bit as well Ever seen the WPT series 1 episode where phil constantly raises with crap cards but is also constantly reraised (by equally shite cards as it happens) by antonio es?....It's amusing to watch it clearly getting to him by the time he is reraised by 23o and shown after he folds....the guy just cant handle his emotions sometimes :lol

Re: Paul philips Yeah that guy who waves his hands all funny when he wins a pot cos hes the poker magician or whatever. I remember Hellmuth tells him that theres no need to be celebrating like that or something similar. The best ones have to be when Hellmuth gets done by running sevens by Hoyt Corkins when he had hit 2 pair on the flop. K9 v K7 I think it was. He gets well angry. And the best - 10 players got invited for an STT winner takes 1 million, no one else gets anything. Hellmuth loses heads up to a woman (a famous poker players sister cant remember the name, might be a Phil). He gets up goes backstage and is just walking around in the dark mouthing off whilst the camera follows him. She gets a million and I get nothing etc! So funny :lol

Re: Paul philips There is another WPT episode where phil is involved in a pot with cowboy hoyt corkins. Phil has J9 and hoyt has J7...the flops is 962 Phil bets out and hoyt calls (purely to try and outplay him later on). the turn is a 7 and phil checks, hoyt doesnt rise to the bait and checks behind him taking the free card. The river is another 7 (lol) - phil bets and hoyt raises big. Phil doesnt hesitate long before calling, the cards are revealed and phil goes into a stormer :lol.

Id love to bust him in a tourny, love it (Kevin Keegan stylee)
LOL I would like nothing better mate....something along the lines of he holds AA and raises on the button when its my big blind. I look down at a paltry 23o - but because he is raising on the button and I am quite a tight player I think he is on for a blind steal, also we are on the WPT and to be honest I have to do something for the cameras to be able to show the grandchildren. So I reraise back half his stack. AHA thinks phil...im gonna outplay you..as he smooth calls my reraise trying to outplay me. The flop comes down AK7 - phil has the top set and the nuts on the flop. This to me looks like a reraisers flop and I bet the rest of my stack all in on the flop thinking phil has to fold unless he really does have it. Unfortunately he really does have it and the cards are turned up, my 23o exposed for the world to see as phil needles me. Needless to say the turn is a 5 and the river an almighty 4 giving me a low runner runner straight to bust phils top set and I bust him from the tourney - the resulting rampage from him can only be imagined. To make it worse we could give him a T shirt as he exited proudly bearing the logo "I gambled with the PL and all I'm left with is this lousy tshirt............." Jez

Re: Paul philips Was rerreading Anthony Holden's "Big Deal" (his account of trying one year as a pro player back in the mid 80s) and he deals with his brief and unpleasant meeting with Hellmuth just after the latter wins the WS (1983 I think). He surfaces briefly again later in the book being again a prize turd. Seems to be one of the most graceless people its possible to meet on a poker table. The contrast with some of the other players such as Bruson / Preston / Johnny Moss who Holden clearly idolises is pretty telling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re: Paul philips Just had to reply to this with one, think it was a comment added to one of Paul Philips blog entries; theiceman05 commented: I was at the bar last night, and an acquaintance of mine brought some girl he was seeing. He proceeded to get belligerently drunk, and then she said something very stupid, and he shouted at her, "Jopke! You're a Jopke!" They kinda argued a little bit, and then she stormed out, almost in tears, and he shouted after her, "That's right bitch! Donkeys always draw! I get away with all of it!" It didn't make a lick of sense, but I laughed so hard that I almost had to be restrained. Oh man; life is the best thing ever. :rollin

Re: Paul philips

LOL I would like nothing better mate....something along the lines of he holds AA and raises on the button when its my big blind. I look down at a paltry 23o - but because he is raising on the button and I am quite a tight player I think he is on for a blind steal, also we are on the WPT and to be honest I have to do something for the cameras to be able to show the grandchildren. So I reraise back half his stack. AHA thinks phil...im gonna outplay you..as he smooth calls my reraise trying to outplay me. The flop comes down AK7 - phil has the top set and the nuts on the flop. This to me looks like a reraisers flop and I bet the rest of my stack all in on the flop thinking phil has to fold unless he really does have it. Unfortunately he really does have it and the cards are turned up, my 23o exposed for the world to see as phil needles me. Needless to say the turn is a 5 and the river an almighty 4 giving me a low runner runner straight to bust phils top set and I bust him from the tourney - the resulting rampage from him can only be imagined. To make it worse we could give him a T shirt as he exited proudly bearing the logo "I gambled with the PL and all I'm left with is this lousy tshirt............." Jez
think he'd ACTUALLY HAVE BEATEN YOU THERE JEZ :rollin so youl'd end up with the t-shirt " i gambled with phil and FCUKED up big style" :lol:lol:lol