** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th

Aidymac

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn]Manchester City v FC Barcelona (19:45 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.87[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.7[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]100.39 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 1 month later...

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th I've been a bit torn on this game, I've thought this was a fantastic opportunity to back City quite heavily for months but with the injuries they are suffering I'm not really sure there is much of an of edge here on a straight City win despite the seemingly big price. As I have stated previously I don't think Dzeko and Negredo can play together, they never perform well but with Aguero out I don't think Pellers will go for both up top in this game. Fernandino is also a massive miss, he is probably the most important player in City's midfield for me, Toure doesn't have the consistency that Fernandino has and his discipline to anchore the whole midfield as basically everyone else around him goes forward in search of goals. City's team quality is reduced by not having these two and getting these guys back and fit is the difference between City winning the league or not. I've been known to give Barcelona a bit of a hammering on here over the years, I remember the CL final against United when I was totally convinced United were going to win and making a lot of negative comments regarding Pedro and Villa (who obviously then both scored!). They are a side of fantastic players but tactically they are still not evolving in the way I would expect, Martimo has tried to alter their style slightly, the now will try more crossfield passes and play the ball longer on occasion. The two best players for them this season have been Sanchez and Fabregas, we won't see the best of Neymar for a couple of years and we are starting to see that Messi is possibly only human after all..I'm a bit surprised they are 'struggling' in the league (which in Spain means they aren't running away with it), only 2 wins in the last 5 has seen them pegged back, and means that unlike previous years they haven't been able to heavily rotate in the lead up to this last 16 tie. This is certainly a game for Pellers to earn his corn, he has to formulate a decent plan to contain them but ultimately exploit their weaknesses as City need to win this game to go through you would think, his overall record against Barcelona isn't bad and then he was competing against them with a fifth of their budget with Villareal, importantly he knows all about their tactics from his time in Spain. Looking at City in the cup tonight I don't think this is far off how they will play tactically against Barca, Garcia will need to start, going with Demichelis would be suicide his lack of mobility would be brutally exposed in a defensive midfield position - in fairness I don't think Pellers wanted to play him in defensive midfield against Chelsea the other week, his hand was forced. I would think the totally anonymous performance of both Dzeko and Negredo against Chelsea (the league game) and other games they have played together will show that it needs to be one of them and Jovetic while Aguero is out, Nasri might even come into the side after his impressive goalscoring return this evening. Pellers will know it is very difficult to stop Barca scoring but the facts are there to see, if you look at their away results in the CL they very regularly shift goals and surprisingly only won 1 of their last 6 away in the competition, conceding at least 2 goals in 4 of those 6. Man City's home games in the group stages followed the pattern of most of City's home games this season with an average of 5.6 total goals scored. These first legs in the CL first knockout stage have been pretty steady for under/over 2.5 with a 4/4 split in 3 of the last 4 years, I look at the qualities of both these sides and they are certainly both better at going forward than defending, City will want to take a lead to the Camp Nou as it is very difficult to win there. City will press Barcelona on the ball trying to win back possession as quick as possible, Barca have had problems at the back all season, as good as Puyol has been over the years his knee problems are beginning to get on top of him and I haven't been impressed with Pique for a while, Mascherano is a converted centre back and I'm staggered they haven't strengthened their options in the position. The full backs on both teams will bomb forward and I think City will look to exploit any available space Alves and Alba give them, Barca are vulnerable in the air and the centre of the pitch will be very competitive and congested. I'm having a small punt on City draw no bet as well, with Barcelona's questionable away form in the CL and City's superb home form I will take 2.2 any day of the week. Over 2.5 Goals - 1.633 - pinnacle - 2 Points Over 2.75 Goals - 1.80 - pinnacle - 2 Points Over 3.0 Goals - 2.060 - pinnacle - 2 Points Man City 0AH - 2.20 - pinnacle - 2 Points

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th I think you're right to question Barcelona's away form in Europe - it's a lot worse than their home form... http://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2014/02/18/europe/uefa-champions-league/manchester-city-football-club/futbol-club-barcelona/1611878/?ICID=HP_MS_02_01 Barcelona are so strong at home, you could see them accepting a single goal defeat because they'd be confident of turning that round at home. Barcelona's shots stats in the group stage were much much better than City's indicating a possible gap in class. Not convinced about overs in the first leg. It's a big 'No Bet' for me at the moment.

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th 4pts Over 3.5 goals 13/8 William Hill I can’t see any way that City can win this tie unless it involves having a go and trying to outscore Barcelona. If they try anything else the quality of this Barcelona midfield and forward line will pick them off at will so I would expect Pellegrini to play a couple of attacking midfielders and pace down the flanks and have a go which should in turn bring plenty of goal chances and goals. This has all the hallmarks of a very attacking tie and there could well be four goals before we head to the Camp Nou. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/man-city-vs-barcelona-betting-expect-goals-at-the-etihad

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th Over 3.5 Man City need to win this game because they might struggle away in Barcelona. City has been almost impossible to win at home but away games are still a bit tricky. Aguero is out but that doesn't mean that we cannot see 4 goals in a game like this. Barca's defence will surelly have problems with City's attacking force and vice versa.

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th Finally come the middle of February , which means that await us a couple decisive showdown in the Champions League ! The most entertaining, the most anticipated and the most interesting match we will see in Manchester , where Barcelona pays a visit ! A few years ago in this game was to be clear favorite, everyone would expect as always equal and interesting fight , but the Catalans took the ball most of the time and would have left with the desired result. But now it is not so , now "citizens" can knock out the "blue - navy" arrogance. Manuel Pellegrini team has already passed a serious test with Bayern Munich and Chelsea, showing himself as a great fighter. Of course , you can rely on the fact that in the second leg , Bayern did not play to the limit, and after 2-0 stopped playing , but still to score 3 goals in a crowded "Allianz Arena" its.. expensive. If you look at history , we can recall that the Chilean coach repeatedly imposed struggle to Barcelona when he was coach of Malaga, but to understand resources Malaga and Manchester City - it's heaven and earth. Now there is a great opportunity to show the world that trip with Malaga last year in the Champions League was not a fluke , now want to beat one of the contenders for the title. The only thing that might upset the citizens - this injury , Aguero and Fernandinho but .. even then you will cannot tell who was more serious loss for the club. Argentinian Aguero and Luis Suarez (Liverpool) are world's best at theyr position , but the brazilian Fernandinho is well blended into the composition and has become an integral part of the mechanism of the victorious team. But there is good news back, Samir Nasri , who has charged batteries and is ready again to torment the opponent's defense that was perfectly demonstrated in the match against Chelsea. Gerardo Martino has already hinted that likely will leave Barcelona next season, it is clear that the coach does not pull such a heavy load. He barely given support in excellent conditions of the catalans , it is clear that he is trying to build another Barcelona, ??but to break the former Barcelona can not be solved. Do not show that bright and intelligent games Xavi and Iniesta - the main cause of obscure game. If you look at the primary star Lionel Messi , then it's not that potent , of course, not lost a taste for the show with weak opponents. Neymar just recovered from injury , so it would be better to start with Pedro or Alexis Sanchez , but again will be decided whether such a step Martino, will he have the courage for it. With Manchester City have to fight in the middle of the field , that's where the citizens disperse their attacks , to be more precise , scatters them Yaya Toure. This giant, more than a year spent in Barcelona and cannot say that he went out on a positive note , more of a desire to play a more significant role it now plays , becoming one of the best in his position. Catalans may not be enough in this viscous and power play with citizens, Pellegrini team have power, and grace. City at home are strong and formidable , and hungry for big wins , of which the history of the club is clearly lacking. Barcelona last year lost its power and ease , and can not find them until now. With the departure of Guardiola players play on the old yeast, which , I think , in a match with Manchester City wont be enough. Especially do not forget about how badly the catalans carried away games in the playoffs Champions League. Another advantage of the hosts is the physical superiority with guys who can do a lot of damage in the set pieces. For the first leg, I think Manchester City +0.25 AH 1.83 SBOBET

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th Many tipsters expect many goals here but since it's only the 1st leg,in my opininion an wiser choice would be a tip like 2-3 goals to be scored! A 1-1, 2-1 or even 1-2 scoreline would leave everything open for the 2nd leg,wouldn't it?

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th I don't think City are afraid of Camp Nou though, so this will only be the first half, literally, and anything can happen...I'm waiting for the second game, and i'll probably back City in any case, they will possibly have Aguero back, and odds will be great.

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th I hear you about Man.City's home record.It is impressive.But it is valid only in Uk.I rate Barcelona to be many levels above the best team in UK right now.We have seen through the past years city's perfomance in Europe and in the Premier league.They beat every team in the league but when it comes to Champ League,things become different.I think tonight things are gonna get ugly for City.Their fortress is going to be destroyed and the myth for City being unstoppable at home-busted.The only possible hope for City not being exposed is that there is 2nd leg and Barcelona doesn't need to win the 1st at all cost.I remember Manchster United-Barcelona final a couple of years back when United were still on top form and Rooney scored the 1st goal.Then it was Barclona who stepped ahead.Manchester just couldn't handle the midfield and after Barcelona's equalizer we saw just how big is the gap between Barcelona and the other teams.Tonight we shall see a replay of that game.I am gonna risk a little bit more and take a long shot with Barcelona -1AH @3.55.I am not fully convinced that the Spaniards will go out firing on all cylinders but i am willing to take that risk.Small bet on Correct score 1:3 and 0:2 @ 17 and 13 with bet365

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th [h=1]Champions League Opta Facts | Last 16[/h]

Man City v Barcelona o This will be the first competitive meeting between these two sides. o Barcelona are winless in their last five away games against English sides in the Champions League (2 draws, 3 defeats). o This is the first season in which Manchester City have managed to reach the knockout stages of the Champions League. o Barcelona, meanwhile, have reached the semi-finals of the Champions League in each of the last six seasons, the longest run in the competition. o Manchester City have won their last four Champions League games, the best current run. o Manchester City's games are the most prolific in the Champions League this season: they've produced 28 goals (18 for, 10 against). Their last three games alone have produced 18 goals. o Manchester City have never failed to score at home in the Champions League (9 games). They've only lost one of those games (1-3 v Bayern Munich on 2 October 2013). o Barcelona have only won one of their last eight games in the knockout stages of the Champions League (4-0 v AC Milan in last season's last 16 stage). o Barcelona have failed to win any of their last five away games in the knockout stages of the Champions League. o Manuel Pellegrini won four of his 18 managerial encounters with Barcelona in La Liga. o Alvaro Negredo has scored five goals in three Champions League games at home this season. o Lionel Messi (65 goals) is only six goals away from equalling Raul's Champions League goalscoring record (71 goals). He's netted six goals in only three games this season.

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th I'll go for Barcelona in this match, main reason is City's performance against good footballing teams and the fact Aguero isn't playing. Looking at the European matches for City the last two years, you'll see them stuggle against dominant teams that love to play possession. Some prime examples are Ajax, Dortmund and Bayern Munich, I classify Barcelona in that same category. Man City was completely outplayed in both matches against Bayern this season. Especially at home in Manchester it was emberrasing. Barcelona is currently at full strenght with a fit Messi and Neymar, this will be too much for Man City to cope with. Who is playing next to Kompany today? Is it going to be Demichelles?

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th

I'll go for Barcelona in this match, main reason is City's performance against good footballing teams and the fact Aguero isn't playing. Looking at the European matches for City the last two years, you'll see them stuggle against dominant teams that love to play possession. Some prime examples are Ajax, Dortmund and Bayern Munich, I classify Barcelona in that same category. Man City was completely outplayed in both matches against Bayern this season. Especially at home in Manchester it was emberrasing. Barcelona is currently at full strenght with a fit Messi and Neymar, this will be too much for Man City to cope with. Who is playing next to Kompany today? Is it going to be Demichelles?
It would be more sensible to play Lescott in there because of Demi's lack of pace but Lescott is a poor passer and gives the ball away a lot, if he does start with Demi he can't play Kolarov as well left back because he has no pace at all that side - Clichy has to start. The main point of interest is if he starts Garcia alongside Fernandino and pushes Toure forward to give them more strength in midfield and close the space on Busquets, then just having Negredo up top on his own. He hasn't gone with one up top against anyone at home I don't think so it would be unusual for him to do this in such an important game but it is certainly an option being suggested, would be showing too much respect for Barca though probably. The team sheet for City will be interesting. Interesting point about possession strong sides, but at home in the CL they haven't been beaten by Napoli, Dortmund, Ajax, Real Madrid..the two sides who really outplayed them were Dortmund and Bayern and only Bayern have beaten them at home in the last 3 years. But then Bayern beat Barca 7-0 over two legs last season so there is a clear quality difference from them and the rest and Dortmund were very strong when they outplayed City too, would you say Barca are that strong currently? Certainly not away from home for me..the first 10 minutes will tell us a lot about how the game will pan out imo, think City will go for it though, they don't know any other way at home, they just try to outscore the opposition.

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th It surprises me that Barcelona are favourites. Barcelona away and Barcelona at home are two different propositions. If you look at their last 3 away games in Spain , they beat Sevilla 4-1 , drew with Levante 1-1 and drew with Atheltico Madrid 0-0. Against Sevilla they had 5 shots on Target , from 9 attempts and scored 4 goals. That conversion rate was an anomaly. Sevilla had 15 attempts at goal and hit the woodwork. Another key statistic is that Barcelona are winless in their last five away games against English sides in the Champions League (2 draws, 3 defeats). Teams will always create chances against Barcelona . Even though Rayo Vallecano are 2nd from bottom and lost 6-0 away to Barcelona at the weekend they had 9 efforts at goal. In their previous home game Barcelona lost 3-2 to Valencia. Neymar is unlikely to start against Man City, if he does it will likely be at the expense of Pedro, so I actually don't think that would be a great advantage given he has played 28 mins football since being out. If Man City start with Demichellis then I'm sure Barcelona will score at least two. Hopefully Lescott plays and Hart has a blinder. It's been a while. I cannot see Manchester City losing this. They actually touched 2-1 to win tonight with Ladbrokes, before coming back into 19/10. I guess a safer play is Double Chance at 1.57.

It would be more sensible to play Lescott in there because of Demi's lack of pace but Lescott is a poor passer and gives the ball away a lot, if he does start with Demi he can't play Kolarov as well left back because he has no pace at all that side - Clichy has to start. The main point of interest is if he starts Garcia alongside Fernandino and pushes Toure forward to give them more strength in midfield and close the space on Busquets, then just having Negredo up top on his own. He hasn't gone with one up top against anyone at home I don't think so it would be unusual for him to do this in such an important game but it is certainly an option being suggested, would be showing too much respect for Barca though probably. The team sheet for City will be interesting. Interesting point about possession strong sides, but at home in the CL they haven't been beaten by Napoli, Dortmund, Ajax, Real Madrid..the two sides who really outplayed them were Dortmund and Bayern and only Bayern have beaten them at home in the last 3 years. But then Bayern beat Barca 7-0 over two legs last season so there is a clear quality difference from them and the rest and Dortmund were very strong when they outplayed City too, would you say Barca are that strong currently? Certainly not away from home for me..the first 10 minutes will tell us a lot about how the game will pan out imo, think City will go for it though, they don't know any other way at home, they just try to outscore the opposition.
Agreed, the Man City team sheet and first ten minutes will tell us a lot about this game I think. If City stick with a 4-4-2 they I can see them being overran like the game against Bayern at home where City failed to shield the back four and deal with the away side's high pressing. Dortmund, Bayern and Barca are the three sides in Europe who really play a high pressure game and it has been in these games that City have tended to struggle in as you mentioned but they do have a decent home record looking past those two games. Then you have Barca who haven't been impressive away from home and don't seem to be playing at their full potential yet. I think the bookies have this tie priced pretty much spot on and it's hard to find value in these prices although there could be some nice value in play as we see how the game pans out.

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th Betting in the knock out stage, and especially on the first game is too risky. Let alone on this particular game. To be honest I think regardless of the scoreline today City will feel more relaxed at Camp Nou than today. I only see one small H'cap for Barca in this game - the Manager has no experience in CL, and this counts here big time. Everything else with Barca looks good. Messi getting back to his usual level, Neymar back in the game with a bang, Valdes enjoying a great season, the midfield just as good as ever, Alexis shaking off last year's nervous start, Pique, Adrianno often enough on the score sheet, Pedro in great form...I even started liking moments with Tello, although IMO he was the main culprit for waisting tons of chances vs Chelsea 2 years ago...IMO Barca is getting to a point when they will be almost unstoppable again. Barca simply belongs to CL, and simply belongs to the semifinals with these players... Can City oppose them while Barca still has few ''blank moments''? I wish they could, but I don't think the players have a CL winning spirit yet. Individually - yes maybe. As a team - doubtful. I love the work of Manuel Pellegrinni, who had magic moments with Villareal, a tiny team who was robbed of a CL Final in both games vs Arsenal. This same guy gave Man Utd the exit in the group stage, a very rare thing in the SAF era. Still, while in a small place like Villareal these achievements were taken as heroic, in City standards the demands are high, much higher. The investors want Euro recognition as early as possible, completely failing with Mancini. If Pellegrinni is given one more year of relaxed work, yes, possibly. Overall I see Barca prevailing on two games. Tonight - no idea. Man City will be suicadle to go blazing guns vs a very strong Barca. The visitors will never change their 30 passes approach in the midfield, waiting for a small gap. Pellegrinni's focus should on defense and midfield, Barca can settle for a draw, although they got all to win it if backs against the wall. I don't see Barca rushing forward either. I game to watch and enjoy, in hope of an early sparkle to open it up. Possible in-play for me, and strictly NO BET before the game... P.S. I see posts above for Over 3,5 Goals. I hope the tipsters are right - first I will enjoy a great game with goals, second - I might also have a bite of it on the in-play... GL all

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th Irrespective of the result, City have to score at the very least 2 goals here. So city to score 2 is a very good bet. In their important matches, yaya Toure almost always shows up. Against Barca it would be a good bet to pick him to score.

Irrespective of the result' date=' City [b']have to score at the very least 2 goals here. So city to score 2 is a very good bet. In their important matches, yaya Toure almost always shows up. Against Barca it would be a good bet to pick him to score.
Have to score 2 goals? If that's the case than they better go for ''have to score 3 or 4'' like Bayern did. I wonder what Barca thinks about this ''have to''? It would have been easier with Aguero, but with Dzeko and Negredo, who are a typical forwards stuck deep in the penalty area - doubtful... I agree though that it is more likely ( if any ) the City goals to come from the midfield, but again Toure would be my last choice, the guy will be too busy helping at the back IMO. If you got bets like these, I am wishing you luck, you will certainly need it...

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th Man City XI: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Demichelis, Clichy, Navas, Toure, Fernandinho, Kolarov, Silva, Negredo. Barcelona : Valdes, Alves, Pique, Mascherano, Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Fabregas, Sanchez, Messi, Iniesta.

Re: Manchester City v FC Barcelona > Tuesday February 18th Pellegrini said City would go for goals this match but his starting lineup looks more of a prudent approach. This is 4-4-1-1 with Silva lurking in the hole right behind Negredo. Demichelis is, however, a disaster waiting to happen. I'm not sure how he himself will cope with quick Barca movements, let alone giving a hand to Kompany. Sanchez and Messi will give City a hard run this evening. Given City's all out approach at home most matches so far under Pellegrini and Barca's not so strong centrebacks, I expect few goals at both ends and already went for the 2-2 CS at small stake. Medium confidence goes to Over 3 goals (5/10). Good luck.

It surprises me that Barcelona are favourites. Barcelona away and Barcelona at home are two different propositions. If you look at their last 3 away games in Spain , they beat Sevilla 4-1 , drew with Levante 1-1 and drew with Atheltico Madrid 0-0. Against Sevilla they had 5 shots on Target , from 9 attempts and scored 4 goals. That conversion rate was an anomaly. Sevilla had 15 attempts at goal and hit the woodwork. Another key statistic is that Barcelona are winless in their last five away games against English sides in the Champions League (2 draws, 3 defeats). Teams will always create chances against Barcelona . Even though Rayo Vallecano are 2nd from bottom and lost 6-0 away to Barcelona at the weekend they had 9 efforts at goal. In their previous home game Barcelona lost 3-2 to Valencia. Neymar is unlikely to start against Man City, if he does it will likely be at the expense of Pedro, so I actually don't think that would be a great advantage given he has played 28 mins football since being out. If Man City start with Demichellis then I'm sure Barcelona will score at least two. Hopefully Lescott plays and Hart has a blinder. It's been a while. I cannot see Manchester City losing this. They actually touched 2-1 to win tonight with Ladbrokes, before coming back into 19/10. I guess a safer play is Double Chance at 1.57.
Nothing was ever going to be safe with Demichellis playing..... Apparently Barcelona are preparing their appeal of Martin Demichelis' red card as I type.