** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th

Aidymac

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn]Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund (17:00 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.25[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.7[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.1[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]98.18 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 2 months later...

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th Zenit St Petersburg - Dortmund Bet: Dortmund @ 1.9 (Pinnacle) (6/10) Dortmund is not having their best season so far, especially against the better teams in the Bundesliga. The matches in the CL against the big opponents (Arsenal and Napoli) were quite even matches. But looking at Dortmund's worst phase (Novembre until end of decembre) in which they won only 2 out of 7 matches you can see that this games were mostly against Bundesliga's best teams (Wolfsburg, Bayern, Leverkusen, Hertha in good shape). In this time they had a lot of problems in their squad due to injuries (Main defense pretty much out with Pisczeck, Subotic, Hummels, Bender and Schmelzer being injured (Many at the same time). In addition Gündogan is missing the whole season already. Now against Zenit they will pretty much have their whole squad avaible. Reus and Hummels will be able to play again and only long term injured Gündogan will miss the match. In the last game against Hamburg it was already pretty good to see, that the focus of the players is already at the match against Zenit. They lost here 0-3 but this shouldn't be onveranalyzed. They had no clue how Hamburg will play (First game of Slomka) and didn't expect Hamburg to have such a fighting spirit which they shown in the game. Zenit on the other side is a joke for me that they got through this CL group stage. Just looking at their results in the CL (1-3 against Atletico, 0-0 against Wien at home, 1-0 against Porto, 1-1 against Porto, 1-1 against Atletico and 1-4 against Wien) you can already see that they have shown a very bad performance. They were absolutely lucky that Porto played also a very horrible CL season. Zenit is without a real game since the 6.12 as the russian league has a break until the 9.3. They only played friendlies to get in shape for this match against Dortmund and so have it harder to be fully in shape for this match compared to Dortund who are already in the middle of the Bundesliga's 2nd half. Zenit won't have any injuries for this match against Dortmund as far as I could find out. I think that Dortmund can use their fast counter attacking gamestyle here which they like to do more than controlling a game completely. As Zenit will play at home they surely know that they need at least one goal here and will obviously have to make the game. This will be good for Dortmund.

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th Wouldn't have any real lean in this game, Zenit continue to spend money like it's water but continue to achieve little and expect they will go out at this stage. Dortmund's injuries are impossible for them to contend with, every game they seem to lose someone else, Dortmund have been strong but I can't see them as being as strong this season the injuries certainly aren't helping. Zenit don't win many CL games but in the current shape Dortmund are in with potentially even more players out as listed by others above, I couldn't really play them. Dortmund's price will rise but I couldn't bring myself to back Zenit, only game in this whole round I don't have an opinion or fancy on..

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th So far, Spalletti's Zenit has won all their home games at the playoff stages of CL and EL: 24/02/11 EL Zenit 3 - 1 Young Boys 17/03/11 EL Zenit 2 - 0 Twente 15/02/12 CL Zenit 3 - 2 Benfica 14/02/13 EL Zenit 2 - 0 Liverpool 14/03/13 EL Zenit 1 - 0 Basel These results basically demonstrate that playing after long winter break is not a problem for this team. I expect Zenit to win on Tuesday and odds over 4 on home win look a great value to me. Zenit has no injury problems, except that the situation with Shirokov is unclear: he had an injury but also a conflict with the coach and might leave the club altogether; in any case he won't play against Dortmund. In attack, Hulk and Arshavin are world class players and their motivation will be as high as never as both will want to use every chance to impress the coaches of their respective national teams in view of the summer World Cup. The newly acquired striker Rondon should be an improvement over Kerzhakov. Speaking of Dortmund, I watched their cup game at mediocre Frankfurt and they did not impress, winning by a single goal scored from a corner. I didn't see their last league game at Hamburg but judging by the result (0-3 defeat) they weren't shining particularly brightly either. Dortmund's injury problems surely won't add any optimism to the Dortmund supporters. Especially the guests' defence doesn't look unpenetrable. Spalletti's Zenit has often struggled against the defensive-minded sides who put 10 men behind the ball trying to keep clean sheet at Petrovsky. However German teams are not like that, they play genuine football, which is why I expect Zenit to score a couple of times on Tuesday, possibly conceding once on the counter attack. Probable Zenit lineup: Lodygin - Ansaldi, Hubocan, Lombaerts, Criscito - Witsel, Fayzulin, Hulk, Shatov, Arshavin (Danny), Rondon (I posted a similar lineup on the other forum a couple of days ago but now I think it had too much skew towards attack; now I'm not sure Spalletti will want to play Arshavin and Danny at the same time) Expected result: 2-1

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th 3pts Draw 14/5 Stan James Zenit have found it hard to win games at home in the Champions League this season and this could be another one that they find difficulty in too. This Dortmund side isn’t quite on top of its game like the one which made it all the way to the final last year was but a loss of a couple of big players through injuries and departures are behind that. They are still very competitive though and I expect the visitors to maintain parity in the tie with a draw here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/zenit-st-petersburg-vs-borussia-dortmund-betting-honours-can-be-even-in-russia

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th Zenit are such a poor side full of mercenaries that even with their injuries and form Dortmund should have enough. Perhaps a decent option would be seeing if Dortmund go behind and backing them to qualify in-play. 1.20 isn't really palatable, even if it probably is about correct. Zenit are awful.

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th Zenit played against Porto and Atl. Madrid in the group stages .... they tied against porto at home ... and tied against Atletico Madrid (mostly subs) at home .... Dortmund are not at their best potential ...and they are not near the level of themselves from last year... Circumstances point out to a most likely draw ... I'm sure dortmund will be happy with an away draw and Zenit most likely will be happy not to lose this game... Considering how cold the weather and russian league being off it will be hard to play and win against a team like Dortmund ... They are still better team than Porto... and Porto-zenit game was do or die for both teams ... Both of these teams will not risk the first game and they will be happy for a tie...

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th Zenit are poor but if you look at their home results in the Champions League it ain't too shabby at all. Played 17, Lost 2, and those two defeats were against AC Milan and Real Madrid. They are unpleasant on the eye, boring, predictable, classless, but at the same time they are very hard to break down in Russia and this is not the Dortmund side of last year, they are 20 points adrift of Bayern in the league. I think the double chance of 1X is great value myself. Double Chance Zenit/Draw @ 42/41 888Sport

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th Having in mind Zenit's last competitive match was more than 2 months ago and Borussia Dortmund is very inconsistent this season, it is really hard to predict the outcome of today's 1/8-final. In terms of injuries, Dortmund will miss Hummels and Subotic who are key defenders but the team already got used to playing without team. In midfield Bender, Gundogan and Blaszczykowski are out and Lewandowski is expected to start although having a flu. Zenit have only two players missing but they are key in midfield - Portuguese playmaker Danny and ball-winning midfielder Shirokov. Due to the fact there are key players missing for both teams I expect to see a lot of mistakes and not good quality of football. Dortmund are by all means the better team but Zenit had two months to prepare for this match and I think the Russian side will make good use of Dortmund's poor form recently. Bets: (8/10) Both Teams To Score @1.65 (bet365) (7/10) Zenit +0.5 @2.075 (bet365) (2/10) Zenit to win by one goal @6.00 (bet365)

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th I need some advice on a two bets that I have. I am unable to cash out on either of them. I am confident that Real will win, it's just Dortmund that have got me worried. Not sure what bet I should do to secure the potential £700 I can win. 2 fold: Zenit +1.5 AH, Real @ evens OR Zenit Double Chance @ evens Appreciate any suggestions, thanks. 1st one: 4 fold: Bayern (-1.5 AH), PSG (-1.5 AH), Barca (-1.5 AH), Dortmund (-1.5 AH) @ 155.66 £3 2nd one: 5 fold: Atletico Madrid, Bayern, PSG, Real Madrid, Dortmund Accumulator £10.00, 1 bet, £10.00 (Pot. Ret. £254.58)

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th

I need some advice on a two bets that I have. I am unable to cash out on either of them. I am confident that Real will win, it's just Dortmund that have got me worried. Not sure what bet I should do to secure the potential £700 I can win. 2 fold: Zenit +1.5 AH, Real @ evens OR Zenit Double Chance @ evens Appreciate any suggestions, thanks. 1st one: 4 fold: Bayern (-1.5 AH), PSG (-1.5 AH), Barca (-1.5 AH), Dortmund (-1.5 AH) @ 155.66 £3 2nd one: 5 fold: Atletico Madrid, Bayern, PSG, Real Madrid, Dortmund Accumulator £10.00, 1 bet, £10.00 (Pot. Ret. £254.58)
If you fancy Dortmund, why back out now? Let it ride. I made the mistake of cashing out in an accy last year, waiting on Betis for 550 quid, but cashed out and Betis won 3-0. I personally think Dortmund will struggle to win by 2 goals, they might win though. But I didn't think Bayern or Barca would win by 2 goals either.

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th I will go for a draw for this one. Zenit played a terrible group stage but didn't loose against Porto and Atletico Madrid. Dortmund on the other hand is in terrible form and has a couple of injuries, I think they will settle for anything but a loss here and then finish it in the Westfalen-stadium. Especially when you're looking at the value of the results, I think 3.60 for a draw @unibet is a pretty good bet.

I will go for a draw for this one. Zenit played a terrible group stage but didn't loose against Porto and Atletico Madrid. Dortmund on the other hand is in terrible form and has a couple of injuries' date=' I think they will settle for anything but a loss here and then finish it in the Westfalen-stadium. Especially when you're looking at the value of the results, I think 3.60 for a draw @unibet is a pretty good bet.[/quote'] I backed Zenit or Draw myself but how are Dortmund in terrible form? They have won 4 of their last 5 games.

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th Could be, but did you see the games? Last 2 games they were struggelin and against Hamburg they were so poor. Given the information that Lewandoski is doubtfull and Bender is out for 10 weeks is telling me that Dortmund will settle for a draw. Edit: Any news on the weather/pitch conditions for this match?

Edit: Any news on the weather/pitch conditions for this match?
It's +3C now, clear and no wind. There was some sun during the day. So no concerns about the weather or the pitch condition. The temperature has been above zero for the most of February, with some light rain. The pitch of Petrovsky should be OK.

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th My hunch is Zenit could be a little value at odds of around 4.8. They are top of the Russian Premier League and as has been pointed out they have a very good home record in the Champions League. I'd say Dortmund are probably the better side but home advantage in Russia tilts it towards Zenit. Also, under 2.5 seems reasonable value at around 2.2, because I think both sides will make defence the priority today. But I'm not really convinced about good value on any market - so it's a NO BET for me.

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th Under 2.5 Zenit would probably try to prevent Dortmund from scoring and as result it might be a bit boring game aswell. Sure "everything is possible" but Lewandowski absence is a big miss for Dortmund. Im sure their main priority will be not to lose because in Germany they have very good chances for wining that game.

It's +3C now' date=' clear and no wind. There was some sun during the day. So no concerns about the weather or the pitch condition. The temperature has been above zero for the most of February, with some light rain. The pitch of Petrovsky should be OK.[/quote'] Damn, I wish I was there. FEBRUARY in St Petersburg sounds awesome ;) Nice and Sunny in Jo'burg temp 25C . Putting some steaks on the barbecue and opening a cold frosty :beer I think the state of the Bundesliga is a big indicator in this game. Bayern are so dominant, so far ahead, that the Champions league is all Dortmund have. They want to go all the way this time, and this will provide serious motivation. I think you will see a top quality, high energy performance, and a win from Dortmund. Zenit are so huff and puff, but just seem to lack a cutting edge and quality. Nothing but a Dortmund win here for me. Pepper or Mushroom sauce with the steaks ?

Damn' date=' I wish I was there. FEBRUARY in St Petersburg sounds awesome ;) [/quote'] This winter is quite unusual I must say, normally it would be below zero with snow on the ground. And yes, today was the first time this month that I saw the sun :)

If you fancy Dortmund' date=' why back out now? Let it ride. I made the mistake of cashing out in an accy last year, waiting on Betis for 550 quid, but cashed out and Betis won 3-0. I personally think Dortmund will struggle to win by 2 goals, they might win though. But I didn't think Bayern or Barca would win by 2 goals either.[/quote'] Thanks. Lewandowski starts, so decided to let it ride, #yolo

Thanks. Lewandowski starts' date=' so decided to let it ride, #yolo[/quote'] We are on opposite sides of the fence, but all jokes aside I hope Dortmund win by 2 if I don't win, I love to see someone have a nice payout. Good luck. :ok

Re: Zenit Saint-Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund > Tuesday February 25th Dortmund in a severe injury crisis will aim to keep it tight for this match. Zenith is no world beater but they are a tough nut to crack at home in CL. Their home record is rather good. Plus the weather on their side, they aren't necessarily the wipping boy here. Considering the condition of both teams at the moment, I expect a boring, low scoring match. So my money goes to Under 3 goals (8/10)