** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

World Cup 2014 > Top Goalscorer Outright Betting

Re: World Cup 2014 > Top Goalscorer Outright Betting Can someone please explain what an each way bet means in this market? 2nd or 3rd highest scorere pays 1/4 odds? Just taken Messi @ 7 &Higuain @ 34 with bet365. Seems plenty of value to go e/w on Higuain if that is the case! I think they will destroy Iran & Nigeria!

Re: World Cup 2014 > Top Goalscorer Outright Betting

i took Higuain ew but he didnt even start against Bosnia
Higuain has an ankle injury which he has had for a month. i don't know how bad it is but seeing as he made the final squad i would imagine he will featuire soon. Against this argentina have plenty of forward options so will not be desperate to play him like other countries have been with injured strikers (spain/uruguay).

Re: World Cup 2014 > Top Goalscorer Outright Betting Pretty unhappy with the way that France game went. Benzema missed a penalty and scores literally 1-2 seconds too late. Could easily have had two hat-tricks (his first game he hit the post for the own goal in a very makable situation). Still a decent chance but with Muller about would have liked a lead. Regardless, I think the market is missing something here and it is a good opportunity for me to swap bets. Lay Messi Golden Boot @ 8 Back Messi Top Goalscorer @ 8 Lay Benzema Top Goalscorer @ 6.8 Back Benzema Golden Boot @ 6.8 Both with Betfair. Reason is Benzema got two assists this morning. Messi, Muller, Van Persie, Valencia, Robben all have zero. If it is tied for most goals Benzema has a massive assists lead, which is the first tie-breaker. So therefore I no longer like Messi's chances of winning golden boot on tie breaker, if he wins it by goals then top goalscorer bet wins anyway, but if he tied backing via top goalscorer will likely offer a return as he'd need to pull assists to catch up. Similar reason for the Benzema market swap, if he ties top goalscorer he's likely to win the golden boot tie breaker. Obviously anything can happen but with such an established assists lead, I feel golden boot is the better market to be backing Benzema. Of course, having said that, Messi does face Iran tonight. Could pile in the assists and goals.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Top Goalscorer Outright Betting Neymar 4 (0) and Messi 4 (0) both have no assists to their name. Outside bets on James Rodrigues 3 (2) or Arjen Robben 3 (1) Look very good. Netherlands have an easy route the semi finals, while Columbia are free scoring and Uruguay and possibly Brazil future opponents could see goals galore. Back Arjen Robben on the Betfair Exchange @ 19.5 Back James Rodriguez on the Betfair Exchange @ 38

Neymar 4 (0) and Messi 4 (0) both have no assists to their name. Outside bets on James Rodrigues 3 (2) or Arjen Robben 3 (1) Look very good. Netherlands have an easy route the semi finals, while Columbia are free scoring and Uruguay and possibly Brazil future opponents could see goals galore. Back Arjen Robben on the Betfair Exchange @ 19.5 Back James Rodriguez on the Betfair Exchange @ 38
I've taken a gamble on Benzema @ 12 on Betfair Exchange. I would argue France has one of the more easier opponents in their quarter final match in Nigeria, and with 3 goals, 2 assists, 1 penalty miss, 2 goals disallowed, he should have a good chance to add to his tally versus Nigeria who conceded 3 goals to Argentina yesterday. I'll look to cash in after the quarter-finals.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Top Goalscorer Outright Betting Anyone looking for further value should look at the winner/top goalscorer double. Bookies seem to think that the winner will also have the top goalscorer so odds on messi/argentina and naymer/brazil are very short. I have looked at previous world cups and have noticed that the top goalscorers team has finished 3rd/4th in more occasions that winning the trophy. So you are looking for the winner and a possible losing semi finalist as your top goalscorer. Stats have showed that the 3rd/4th place game provides more goals then the final. Brazil/Thomas Muller 33/1 @bet365. Shorter elsewhere so price could drop soon!

Re: World Cup 2014 > Top Goalscorer Outright Betting Based on the above advice I like the look of Germany/Van Persie @ 65/1 on Bet 365. Of the favourites I don't fancy Argentina at all and believe they will be found out against a stronger side and I think Brazil have been fairly poor. Having said that, both should make the semi-finals but I'd take Germany to beat either of these at that stage and go on to win it. Holland will surely make the semi finals given the draw (and the Evens on Bet 365 about this looks tremendous value to me BTW). The Mexico game will be tight but a quarter final against Greece or Costa Rica looks like an opportunity for goals.

Based on the above advice I like the look of Germany/Van Persie @ 65/1 on Bet 365. Of the favourites I don't fancy Argentina at all and believe they will be found out against a stronger side and I think Brazil have been fairly poor. Having said that, both should make the semi-finals but I'd take Germany to beat either of these at that stage and go on to win it. Holland will surely make the semi finals given the draw (and the Evens on Bet 365 about this looks tremendous value to me BTW). The Mexico game will be tight but a quarter final against Greece or Costa Rica looks like an opportunity for goals.
I am with you on this bet too (although now down to 60/1). I also like the same selection but with Benzema as top goal scorer for the above mentioned reasons of Benezema likely chances of lifting the boot. Germany/Benzema @ 45/1

Neymar 4 (0) and Messi 4 (0) both have no assists to their name. Outside bets on James Rodrigues 3 (2) or Arjen Robben 3 (1) Look very good. Netherlands have an easy route the semi finals, while Columbia are free scoring and Uruguay and possibly Brazil future opponents could see goals galore. Back Arjen Robben on the Betfair Exchange @ 19.5 Back James Rodriguez on the Betfair Exchange @ 38
Did anyone get on at those odds? I was going to bet when teams were announced, but with all the drama of the first match I forgot!

• 3 weeks later...