** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting

Re: World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting In reply to: To Finish Bottom of The Group: Double on Honduras and Iran @ 2.27 >Bet365 (4 Points) by Wisey10 I agree with your preview but I am concerned about the fact that two teams may finish bottom of the group and in that case Gol difference will be taken into acccount. Therefore I am going for the number of points in the group - Honduras 0 or 1 point 1.66 - Iran 0 or 1 point: 1.80 DOUBLE 1.98 (Bet 365) I will also add Costarica:0 or 1 point: 1.53 All the best

Re: World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting Hey folks! You might be also interested in an interesting bet type what I recently found at BetVictor. You can place bets (even accumulators) on a specific team not to win a single match in the World Cup. Australia @1.25 and Costa Rica @1.18 are gifts, while Iran @1.44 also worth a shot.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting Group D preview: 3pts Uruguay NOT to qualify 6/4 Winner Sports I’ve already tipped England up to win the group in another preview but another bet I like in this group is Uruguay not to qualify. Someone has to go out and they have enough weaknesses to exploit in my eyes. They desperately need Luis Suarez fit but even then they’re not the side they were four years ago. All three sides in the group have players who can expose the Uruguayan defence so they look a decent price to fail to make it out of the group. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/world-cup-betting-uruguay-could-be-the-ones-to-suffer-in-group-d

Re: World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting

Early thoughts are I quite like the look of Greeks to qualify. Some of you may remember I though the Greeks were underrated in the u20 World Cup in the summer and I think they are again under-rated here. They are the 2nd best team in the group on FIFA rankings' date= have a record of 18-6-5-37-14 in competitive matches since the last World Cup and went 8-1-1-12-4 in qualifying.
I agree...Greece to qualify @ 2.9 is in my opinion the value bet of this type.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting I've taken a double of Germany to win Group G and Switzerland to qualify @ 2.74 (5dimes). About Germany, it seems to me they have a very good chance to be the first European side to win the Cup on this continent. About the Swiss...they are a very balanced side, and have the defense to hold this poor group of opponents. I see them beating Honduras and getting at least 1 point from Ecuador if not 3, and they're good enough to take a point from France, too. It would not shock me if they won this group, either.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting I think some of the group/team bets are probably some of the best bets in the World Cup. As I remember, a lot of these bets tend to disappear almost as soon as the groups start though. I'm going to try to check some out today to see if I can see any clear value.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting 10pts Group G - Dual forecast - Germany/Portugal @ 1.80 Bet365 I'm a little surprised I can get these odds when it's being offered as low as 1.50 elsewhere. Unless I'm missing something (i.e. some team news that I'm unaware of), I think this is an outstanding bet. The worry about Ronaldo being not fit is no longer there after the performance he put in against Ireland the other day. The other two teams in the group are Ghana and USA. I would imagine strong sides like Portugal and Germany should have no problems securing wins against both of them. Especially so after moral boosting victories (5-1 win for Portugal vs Ireland and 6-1 win for Germany vs Armenia)

Re: World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting Group G preview: 2pts Ghana to qualify 3/1 Betfred All known logic would probably point to Germany and Portugal qualifying from this group but I think you can find more than enough weaknesses in both sides if you look deep enough and that could open the door for Ghana to come through at a nice price. Germany playing all their matches in the north doesn’t help them and I’m far from convinced in their squad as a whole especially if they pick up a couple more injuries and were anything to happen to Ronaldo then Portugal immediately become a different proposition. A loser in the opening match between the two would leave themselves with plenty to do so the 3/1 on a dangerous Ghana qualifying looks decent value to me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/world-cup-betting-ghana-can-cause-a-surprise-in-group-g

Re: World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting Group H preview: 4pts Russia NOT to qualify 6/4 Coral You can either play safe in this group or take a bit of a risk and I like the riskier idea here. The safe route would be to take the odds on that Belgium win the group. They should win the group with the players they have available but the riskier option is for Russia not to qualify. We saw how Capello’s disciplinarian style didn’t suit the English last time and that has to be a concern going into this tournament but with South Korea and Algeria largely unknown but potentially dangerous there are plenty of opportunities for a Russia side that is missing some important players to slip up and fall at the first hurdle. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/world-cup-betting-russia-can-fall-at-the-first-hurdle-in-group-h

Is that bet for both countries to qualify' date=' or for "Germany to finish first and Portugal second"?[/quote'] either team to finish first or second. Its not straight forecast.

Is that bet for both countries to qualify' date=' or for "Germany to finish first and Portugal second"?[/quote'] It is for both teams to qualify. Germany to finish first and Portugal second would be "Straight forecast" :ok

Re: World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting After sitting through the terrible Nigeria v Iran game tonight (ended 0-0), it's hard for me to see Bosnia not finishing above these two sides and qualifying. Bosnia only lost narrowly to Argentina, and looked as though they are probably a class above Nigeria and Iran. Bosnia to qualify at 1.73 (BetVictor) looks pretty good value I think.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting Agree that Bosnia will go through as there is a clear difference in quality between Bosnia and both Iran and Nigeria. However, rather than go for a straight bet for them to qualify i quite like the odds of them beating both Nigeria and Iran which is a best price 19/10 @SkyBet. It's a bit riskier than a staight bet to qualify but is better value in my opinion.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Qualify from Group Betting WARNING: RED MIST ALERT!!! Group D: England to qualify @ 10/11 (Betfair) > 5% BR I’ve been very positive on the forum about England so far and I’m going to put my faith in them here to progress from the group stage. First of all, England are really not the kind of team you want to back in any form during a major tournament. There are lots of casual English punters who put their money behind them and this of course destroys their market value completely. I was considering taking England with some draw cover against Uruguay but the +0 line has already gone from 7/10 to 8/15 and will probably continue to shorten right up till kick off. I prefer to back them to qualify from the group, it was a selection I was looking at before the tournament began but prices were terrible. The defeat to Italy has now lengthened the odds to the point where I’m willing to pull the trigger. I thought the England performance was very encouraging V the Italians, I wont bore you with my view on the technical side of things. A lot has already been written in the England V Italy thread with valid arguments on both sides. England have a superior goal difference to Uruguay, a draw against them would still not be a fatal blow – although a Costa Rica win against Italy would take qualification out of our own hands. Basically if England avoid defeat to Uruguay then they still have the hole card of thrashing Costa Rica to virtually assure progression to the knockout phase. Obviously things are a little more complicated than that but it’s as simple as I can put it without blabbering on for pages and pages. Obviously I was not impressed with Uruguay in their opening game, defensively they are very poor and of course missed Suarez. The Liverpool wizard will certainly play in the England match but how sharp will he be? How long will he last? One of the biggest concerns for England will be their potential rashness and naivety, they play with a lot of heart and will surely go for the throat in their remaining two games but must not get caught out by the quality Uruguay have upfront. Costa Rica are no pushovers as they’ve already proved and an easy victory against them is simply not a guarantee, it will be another very tough game for England. Backing your own team in a poor value selection? That’s the magic of the world cup!!! My world cup stakes are very low compared to league season bets so don’t worry, I’m not going off the rails here. Follow at your own risk.

The lack of winter break takes its toll. England look mentally and physically exhausted even before the tournament has began. Italy also lack sharpness and look tired. Their best striker in my opinion' date=' Giuseppe Rossi, is not included in the squad. [b']Costa Rica to qualify from the group 10.00 is my favourite bet for the group stage. England and Italy just look pathetic and I can't see that changing in the Brazil heat.
BOOM I posted it in the International Friendlies thread.

Early thoughts are I quite like the look of Greeks to qualify. Some of you may remember I though the Greeks were underrated in the u20 World Cup in the summer and I think they are again under-rated here. They are the 2nd best team in the group on FIFA rankings' date= have a record of 18-6-5-37-14 in competitive matches since the last World Cup and went 8-1-1-12-4 in qualifying.
Deserves a mention :clap

WARNING: RED MIST ALERT!!! Group D: England to qualify @ 10/11 (Betfair) > 5% BR I’ve been very positive on the forum about England so far and I’m going to put my faith in them here to progress from the group stage. First of all, England are really not the kind of team you want to back in any form during a major tournament. There are lots of casual English punters who put their money behind them and this of course destroys their market value completely. I was considering taking England with some draw cover against Uruguay but the +0 line has already gone from 7/10 to 8/15 and will probably continue to shorten right up till kick off. I prefer to back them to qualify from the group, it was a selection I was looking at before the tournament began but prices were terrible. The defeat to Italy has now lengthened the odds to the point where I’m willing to pull the trigger. I thought the England performance was very encouraging V the Italians, I wont bore you with my view on the technical side of things. A lot has already been written in the England V Italy thread with valid arguments on both sides. England have a superior goal difference to Uruguay, a draw against them would still not be a fatal blow – although a Costa Rica win against Italy would take qualification out of our own hands. Basically if England avoid defeat to Uruguay then they still have the hole card of thrashing Costa Rica to virtually assure progression to the knockout phase. Obviously things are a little more complicated than that but it’s as simple as I can put it without blabbering on for pages and pages. Obviously I was not impressed with Uruguay in their opening game, defensively they are very poor and of course missed Suarez. The Liverpool wizard will certainly play in the England match but how sharp will he be? How long will he last? One of the biggest concerns for England will be their potential rashness and naivety, they play with a lot of heart and will surely go for the throat in their remaining two games but must not get caught out by the quality Uruguay have upfront. Costa Rica are no pushovers as they’ve already proved and an easy victory against them is simply not a guarantee, it will be another very tough game for England. Backing your own team in a poor value selection? That’s the magic of the world cup!!! My world cup stakes are very low compared to league season bets so don’t worry, I’m not going off the rails here. Follow at your own risk.
Das Phantom: "You idiot" Das Phantom: "I know, I'm sorry"

8pts Group C - Ivory Coast to qualify @ 2.00 WilliamHill 8pts Group F - Dual forecast - Argentina/Bosnia @ 2.00 Coral
10pts Group G - Dual forecast - Germany/Portugal @ 1.80 Bet365
The less said about it, the better. Got everything wrong :/ I blame the Ivory Coast for conceding that last minute goal. On another note, I see a few good winners in here, congrats! -26pts

Group A: Croatia to qualify @ 11/10 (Betfair) > 5% BR Agree with RIOT88 and Aidymac on Croatia to qualify. Granted Nico Kovac hasn’t been coach for long but I feel the change should do the team good after a fairly lackluster qualifying campaign under Igor Stimac. Croatia have some really decent players and I’m looking forward to seeing Mateo Kovacic in particular. I think they have the quality and perhaps now a bit of momentum aswell with the change in management. Aidy has already talked about Mexico and I completely agree. They were very lackluster in qualifying but for me they don’t have much cutting edge either. Their playing style and physical conditioning means they will be better suited to the heat than Croatia but this should only become relevant as the tournament progresses. Should also be noted that Mexico play all 3 of their group games in the tropical zone while Croatia only have to play 2. Cameroon should be tough to break down but probably not enough attacking threat to progress. At odds against, Croatia is a nice play here imo. Group C: Ivory Coast to qualify @ EVS (Betfair) > 5% BR Again, a few people already on this and I think it’s a decent play. Group C is pretty interesting but you have to feel Ivory Coast and Colombia have the most quality. I think it will all come down to attitude and approach in this group, for a number of Ivory Coast players this will be their last world cup and hopefully this will give them the additional psychological motivation to progress to the knockout phase. Colombia will have the better of it conditions wise but are of course without key striker Falcao. Ultimately they should qualify but it’s now unlikely to be by a huge margin which will encourage their group rivals. Japan should have decent fitness and industry but I can imagine Ivory Coast doing them on set-pieces, it will be a mismatch in terms of physicality. I’m not underestimating Greece, they will be really hard to beat and have done well in previous international tournaments so you shouldn’t write them off. Maybe lacking just that little bit of quality required but we shall wait and see. Group D: Italy eliminated at the group stage @ 13/8 (Betfair) > 5% BR The brain says no no but the gut says yes yes, it’s controversial but I think Italy could end up in trouble here. The Azzurri will have to traverse large distances between group games due to where they are based whilst also facing nightmare tropical conditions in the games against Costa Rica and Uruguay. In my view they will have to beat England in the opening game to give themselves a decent chance and I don’t think it will be all that easy for them tbh. Yes they have a nice central median with players who can keep the ball but can they break teams down and get the goals required when the heat’s on? This is another question. I expect Italy to be smart and quick on the counter (an area where England can be vulnerable) but because England V Italy is the opening game I think Hodgson will be shrewd enough to shut up shop for 70 mins then bring on Barkley to try and nick a goal in the last 20. It’s still a risky play as I’m not a huge fan of this current Uruguay team, they’re industrious and of course have Suarez and Cavani but after that not much. Ultimately, conditions may play into the Uruguayan’s hands and in a tight group it will be things like this that can make the difference. Italy have next to no chance of winning the world cup imo, I will go one further and back them to exit early. Group B: Group with most goals @ 4/1 (Betfair) > 5% BR Ok so Australia will do their best to make things a yawn feast in this group, Mile if you’re reading this, which you wont be, I’m sorry. But, a group with Chile and the Netherlands in it could potentially be hilarious in terms of goals. Spain maybe a little more conservative overall, but considering two thirds of the opposition, this group has goals written all over it. Expect wave after wave of attack followed by counter attack with some very decent finishers arriving on the end of things. Group F: Group with most goals @ 9/2 (Betfair) > 5% BR I feel Argentina, Bosnia Herzegovia and Nigeria will all do their bit to provide some goals here. Argentina and Bosnia Herzegovia in particular due to their attacking menace and weak defenses. Iran will be the only party poopers with a defensive and organized setup but even so I think there could be a fair amount of goals in this group. Group D most goals @ 5/1 is tempting but shrewd managers, high quality and tropical conditions means I will swerve. Group G most goals @ 5/1 may tempt some but ridiculous conditions and mounting injuries will probably mean less goals than people were expecting here. Best to avoid imo.
Managed to turn a profit from my group bets thanks to Italy not qualifying and Group B goal feast. Disappointed for Croatia, thought they played very well in opener with Brazil and events just went against them. Got to give Mexico credit though, they played a lot better than I expected and followed through with their gameplan in key game with Croatia. Brazil have really pissed me off in this tournament so far, I wont say any more. Ivory Coast - fine margins, probably not the biggest value bet in retrospect. Well done to Greece backers. Colombia more prolific than I was expecting also. Group D was a wild ride, Italy elimination was justified but getting involved with England was just plain foolish, must learn from history. Group F was infact one of the lower scoring groups but I will definately look at highest/lowest scoring group markets for future international tournaments as it's been fairly lucrative here.