** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting Tournament preview: 1pt ew Colombia to win World Cup 40/1 Bet365 (1/2 1-2) You could make a case for a few sides going into the tournament but two in particular catch my eye. One of those is Colombia. Admittedly they would be a much stronger proposition were Falcao fit but he isn’t. They’ve known the likelihood is that he wouldn’t make it to this tournament for quite some time though so they’ve had time to prepare without him and even in Falcao’s absence they still have some players who are good enough and ready to make their mark on this stage. Monaco’s James Rodriguez is a wonderful talent while up front the likes of Jackson Martinez, Teofilo Gutierrez and Carlos Bacca are all good forwards. Fiorentina’s Juan Cuadrado is another who is set to shine on the big stage. If you was looking for a weakness then Mario Yepes is getting no younger but Colombia have some decent enough defensive players. With keeping possession being key the talented and skilful Colombians can prove strong in that area of the game and surprise the world with a big run here. 1pt ew France to win World Cup 25/1 Stan James (1/2 1-2) In terms of a value pick with a good draw I can’t look past France. They have been drawn in the easiest group and assuming they win that they would have a last 16 clash with either Bosnia, Iran or Nigeria, a match they would be heavy favourites in. If the draw goes with the seedings France would play a potentially jaded Germany side in the quarter finals so they couldn’t have been given a better route to the latter stages. Previous France sides have had all sorts of issues with egos ruining the camp but Didier Deschamps did enough as a player to earn respect of his squad and he has shown he can make the tough decisions by leaving Samir Nasri and Jeremy Menez out of his squad. France still have a lot of talented players in their ranks though and at 25/1 they could well reward each way backers at a decent price. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/world-cup-betting-colombia-can-arrive-on-the-world-stage-in-style

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting Player of the Tournament preview: 1pt A.di Maria Player of the Tournament 33/1 BetVictor This is one of those markets where I’m taking someone from Argentina because I love their draw. For me one of the best players going into this tournament is Angel di Maria and I think he can have a wonderful tournament. He was the man of the match in the Champions League final by a street and if he performs like that here he should get plenty of notice. He has a wonderful front line to assist for but he can bag goals himself from midfield and while Messi may take all the headlines it could be the flourishing feet of di Maria who goes up to collect the Golden Ball when this one is done. 1pt Paulinho Player of the Tournament 80/1 Skybet Brazil are another side who it is worth taking someone from in this market because their style is so wonderful to watch. Neymar gets all the attention and Fred is the link in the side but the man who makes it all tick and ties it all together is Paulinho and he is set for a good tournament here. The Spurs midfielder showed his qualities in the Confederations Cup last year and even notched a couple of goals too which would be handy should he repeat that here but unlike Neymar, Paulinho is consistent, he should see plenty of the ball and given that he plays in a more forward, free role to the one he plays at Spurs he’s all set to take this tournament by storm. 0.5pt R.Sterling Player of the Tournament 150/1 Bet365 Taking an Englishman in this market might be folly but I don’t actually think England’s chances are as bad as people suggest. In fact I can easily see England making the quarter finals and from there who knows. Many people have decided to write off this England side but they have some wonderful, pacy, direct attacking threats who could light this tournament up if they are given the chance. One of those is Raheem Sterling and I think the Liverpool man is worth a punt here. I think he could start for England in this tournament but even if he doesn’t coming off the bench with 30 to go and delivering appealing cameos may not do him any harm. Sterling was the best player in the Premier League in the second half of the season and that’s good form and with decent left backs being few and far between in this tournament if he can get the ball and go at sides his dribbling style could appeal to a lot of people, especially if England overachieve in this event. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/world-cup-betting-angel-di-maria-can-overshadow-messi-in-the-tournament

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting Your Angel di Maria bet is a great catch. Already had some of it to be honest, feel Argentina can all the way into the quarters with no trouble, and semis is what I expect from them. If they get to the final, will all depend if they will be able to turn it up against Brazil, because if Brazil wins, can't see it not going for a Brazilian player.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting Had £50 quid on a Nadal/Argentina double on betfair for a potential £750 profit. After Nadals win yesterday I could cash out at 80 quid profit. Does anyone else rate Argentinas chances as not as many as I would have thought have tipped them on here? To me on paper they have an incredible squad, used to the climate, no European team has ever won a World Cup in South America and so on .....

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting

Had £50 quid on a Nadal/Argentina double on betfair for a potential £750 profit. After Nadals win yesterday I could cash out at 80 quid profit. Does anyone else rate Argentinas chances as not as many as I would have thought have tipped them on here? To me on paper they have an incredible squad, used to the climate, no European team has ever won a World Cup in South America and so on .....
I had a large bet on Argentina mate @ 5.9. I see they are into 5.2 now so a lot of people are backing them. I'm not sure about their defence, but attack wise nobody comes close to them.. Messi, Di Maria, Higuain, Aguero.. Tevez couldn't even make the squad, he would make every other squad in the world comfortably. I do have reservations about the Argies defence but I think they have the players to outscore any team. They also have a handy group and what looks like a much easier route to the semi's than Brazil.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting Argentina should - imo they will very easily - fly into the quarter finals, they could hardly have picked an easier draw if they had tried. Hold onto your bet for now and trade some off later on if you get a bit twitchy..

Had £50 quid on a Nadal/Argentina double on betfair for a potential £750 profit. After Nadals win yesterday I could cash out at 80 quid profit. Does anyone else rate Argentinas chances as not as many as I would have thought have tipped them on here? To me on paper they have an incredible squad, used to the climate, no European team has ever won a World Cup in South America and so on .....
I agree with previous posters, should be noted Argentina do not have to play in tropical zone for group games which can only benefit their conditioning as the tournament progresses. They will probably face either France or Switzerland in the last 16 which will not be a duck walk imo but Argentina will rightfully be the favourites. If I were you I would wait and see what the juice on your bet is up to after the group stage is over and then make a decision.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting Top African preview: 2pts Ghana Top African Nation 7/2 Bet365 Ghana were quarter finalists in the last World Cup and had it not been for a Luis Suarez handball they would surely have been semi finalists. To me they look to have the best squad of all the African sides on paper and I think there is every chance they will make it through their group and were they to win it they would be favourites to make another quarter final which I certainly think will be enough to land this market. I think qualifying from the group will earn at least a dead heat but with the likes of Gyan, Boateng, Essien, Muntari and the Ayew’s Ghana have a squad to push further than just that. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/world-cup-betting-ghana-can-enjoy-the-best-run-of-the-african-sides

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting 50pts Argentina to win @ 5.50 Betfair (with a view to cash out 40-50pts for profit after group stages) Past world cup winners, runner-up: 2010 - Spain, Holland 2006 - Italy, France 2002 - Brazil, Germany 1998 - France, Brazil 1994 - Brazil, Italy 1990 - Germany, Argentina 1986 - Argentina, Germany 1982 - Italy, Germany What I'm trying to get at, is the fact that the big teams have always made the finals in the last couple of world cup. Throw in the fact that the host nation has only won 6 out of 19 World Cups and that an European team has never won a World Cup hosted in South America. It suddenly begins to look like either Brazil or Argentina for me and if we were to compare both teams' path in the world cup, Argentina have a much easier group and Brazil will have to face tricky Mexico in their group. Brazil will also have to face off against the likes of Spain/Holland/Chile in the quarter finals whereas Argentina will have to face France/Ecuador/Switzerland/Honduras. Surely one will agree Argentina is a much better side to back based off that. I am looking to trade off Argentina after the group stages or quarter-finals depending on who their opponents are. 3pts Islam Slimani - Top Algeria Goalscorer @ 5.00 Betvictor He was Algeria's top goalscorer during the qualifying stages and scored 5 goals in 7 games for them. Algeria face the likes of Belgium, Russia and South Korea in their group and as such they are seen as underdogs. Even the odds for no top goalscorer is shorter implying that even one goal might be sufficient to win this bet. Honestly though, after Belgium, I feel any of the other 3 teams could qualify, Algeria have looked decent in the friendlies prior to the World Cup and I would not be suprised if they even qualify. At these odds, I fancy a flutter on Islam Slimani performing for Algeria again.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting Golden Glove Award - Hugo Lloris @ 17 Ladbrokes Whilst Argentina and Brazil head the market neither of their keepers are of the exceptional quality and I have a hard time making a case for either, particularly Romero. Argentina's defence is not it's strength and any successful kind of run will almost certainly come from their attacking quality. Courtoius, Buffon and Casillas all have the requisite qualities (indeed 2 of them are past winners) but from a value perspective I like Lloris. He's a top class keeper and for mine was Tottenham's best player last season. France also have a relatively kind draw as Kev pointed out and they have quality in all 3 thirds of the pitch. However, on the occasions opponents are allowed to get away quality shots I feel Lloris has the ability to make key saves. Top Goalscorer from Selected Group - Edin Dzeko @ 8 Tattsbet This one is probably only for Aussies, specifically those in Queensland but they have a market up for top goalscorer from "forwards". The only forwards includes in this are Balotelli, Van Persie, Lukaku, Rooney, Dzeko and Giroud. Dzeko faces both Iran and Nigeria in the group stages before a likely clash with France in the Round of 16. Whilst I don't expect he'd play more games beyond that none of the other players in the nominated group are from the big favourites. Once more, some are in tough groups (England, Italy, Netherlands) and I'd not be surprised if one or more were to fail qualify. Lukaku for mine looks the biggest threat but I think this is value that can't be passed up.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting 4pts Italy Top Goalscorer - Ciro Immobile @ 8.00 Coral Silly price for a guy who I think is clearly in form. Immobile scored a hat-trick and even assisted two of the other goals in Italy's 5-3 win over Fluminense. He recently signed for Borussia Dortmund for £15.6 million and he has also had a terrific season with Torino where he was the top goal scorer in Serie A with 22 goals in 33 appearances. He is second favourite in this market after Balotelli. Sure Balotelli might be the preferred striker up front but with that performance Immobile put in in their last friendly and the strong season he has had at Torino, one would have to think twice before writing him off. At these odds, I'm more than happy to gamble.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting 1pt ew Chile Highest Scoring Team 66/1 Bet365 (1/4 1-3) One side who are overpriced is Chile. Admittedly Chile aren’t guaranteed to go deep in this tournament but if they avoid Brazil in the Last 16 then they should at least make the quarter final and the tournament is anyone’s from there. Chile are a very attacking side who play on the front foot and rarely go backwards. They score a lot of goals and create even more chances. Their game against Spain could be more low scoring than we’d like but the Netherlands and Australia are there to be attacked and so the 66/1 prices about this Chile side look very big especially as a run to the semi finals and beyond can’t be ruled out. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/world-cup-betting-chile-look-a-massive-price-to-be-the-top-scoring-team

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting 1pt T.Courtois Golden Glove winner 14/1 Boylesports Thibaut Courtois was arguably the best keeper in Europe this season and he was a massive reason why Atletico Madrid won La Liga and almost won the Champions League. He is a wonderful shot stopper but he’s a big lad so is capable with crosses too. Belgium have a nice draw but if they are really to go far then their keeper will have to bail them out at times especially when they come up against the better sides. If they can get into the knockout stages and he saves a penalty or two in a shoot out that won’t be a bad thing but of all the fancied sides I would say Belgium have the potential to be more open at the back than the others so Courtois must have a chance here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/world-cup-betting-thibaut-courtois-looks-a-contender-for-golden-glove-award

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting Brazil look to be favourites on name and home advantage alone as I just can't see that the quality of their squad justifies them being favourites at all. For me it's Germany's time and this has been obvious for a while now. Germany, Spain and each way on Belgium, Chile and Colombia would be my play.

Brazil look to be favourites on name and home advantage alone as I just can't see that the quality of their squad justifies them being favourites at all. For me it's Germany's time and this has been obvious for a while now. Germany, Spain and each way on Belgium, Chile and Colombia would be my play.
Can't agree with that, there are plenty of reasons Germany are one of the favourites but not fancied. Firstly they only have one striker in Klose who has hardly had a good season, Low seems to like playing Gotze there but he had an average season and has little experience playing false 9, Ozil is in poor form and has previously been one off their key players and their best attacking midfielder Reus will miss the tournament. Khedira has hardly played all season and they concede too many goals anyway. They couldn't have picked worse kick-off times in the group either with two 1pm kick-offs in the hottest area of the country, this might not affect them right away but it will by the latter stages of the competition. If I was going to lay any of the 4 favourites it would certainly be Germany.

Can't agree with that' date=' there are plenty of reasons Germany are one of the favourites but not fancied. Firstly they only have one striker in Klose who has hardly had a good season, Low seems to like playing Gotze there but he had an average season and has little experience playing false 9, Ozil is in poor form and has previously been one off their key players and their best attacking midfielder Reus will miss the tournament. Khedira has hardly played all season and they concede too many goals anyway. They couldn't have picked worse kick-off times in the group either with two 1pm kick-offs in the hottest area of the country, this might not affect them right away but it will by the latter stages of the competition. If I was going to lay any of the 4 favourites it would certainly be Germany.[/quote'] I was tempted to back Germany, until I saw their lack of resources up front and now the fact Reus is missing too they can forget about it. Good side, but you need to have a fully fit squad with a proper goalscorer up front to win a world cup. Schweinsteiger has just recovered from an injury too, it is not known if he is 100% either.

If I was going to lay any of the 4 favourites it would certainly be Germany.
100% agree on this HastGill, it's stange because it could be argued that Germany is the most effective unit at international level so opposing them may seem harsh but it's the right thing to do given the present circumstances. Edit - stange? strange.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting Player of the tournament - In the last 19 world cups, this bet has been won 12 times by a striker, 5 times by a midfielder, 1 by a defender and 1 by a goalkeeper. 16 of the last 19 winners have been part of a team that have made the finals of the world cup. Every one of the 19 winners have been part of a team that made it to the semi finals. The host nation has had a winner from their team only 6 out 19 times. Each of the last 10 winners had scored a minimum of 3 goals apart from the goalie who won it. So in essence I am looking for a striker/midfielder who will score a minimum of 3 goals and make the semis/finals at the very minimum. Going off the favourites for the World Cup (Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy) and the favourites for this market (Neymar, Messi, Aguero, Ronaldo, Suarez, Iniesta, Di Maria, Hazard), I am instantly drawn to the likes of Di Maria, Neymar Messi, Aguero. The reason for this is the fact that they are all from either Argentina and Brazil and have a very good chance of making the semis at the very minimum. Argentina have a relatively easy group and are 1.25 favourites to top the group for a good reason. Against the likes of Nigeria and Iran especially they should be able to rack up the goals. Di Maria, Aguero and Messi are the star players from that team. Brazil have a slightly trickier group against the likes of Croatia and Mexico, but should still do enough to top their group. Whether they rack up the goals or not, is another question altogether and with the composition of the team that they have, I think that goals can come from anywhere and not solely from Neymar. Comparing the 4 players that I have short listed, I think one has to pick either Messi or Neymar at the short prices they are available at. And for me it has got to be Messi. Messi scored 28 goals in comparison to the 9 Neymar did at Barcelona this season. Aguero also scored 28 goals in an injury hit season for Man City. I am not going to take Di Maria on, only cos of his lack of goals (scored 8 goals this season for Real Madrid). There is one wildcard that I like the look of, and that is Yaya Toure. He scored 24 goals this season for Man City, and yes he might be a midfielder and in a much tougher group, but I think at these odds, it is worth a small gamble. 2.5pts Player of the tournament - Lionel Messi @ 9.00 StanJames 1pt Player of the tournament - Sergio Aguero @ 26.00 Bet365 0.5pt Player of the tournament - Yaya Toure @ 151.00 Betvictor

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting Australia to concede a penalty at World Cup 3.30 Centrebet The Socceroos have conceded a penalty at their last two world cups against Italy and Ghana respectively. They conceded as recently as their friendly against Ecuador and against quality opposition we often struggle in defence. France scored a pen in their 6-0 win against us last year and we also conceded one in a recent friendly against Denmark. Bottomline is the Socceroos defence is not equipped to deal with the talented attackers that will confront us (Sanchez, Vargas, Robben, Van Persie, Silva, Costa, Pedro etc.). I think the chances that we'll concede a pen in 1 of these 3 games to be much nearer to 50%, maybe even slightly more.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting Sunday 22nd June Thoughts after the second round of group games Kevin Pullein said in the Racing Post World Cup Betting Guide: "The World Cup is normally won by a big country where football is popular and the game's traditions are old". I don't think this is a sure recipe for picking a winner, but I do think it makes sense. He goes on to say Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Germany, Italy, France and England fit the criteria for this World Cup. Spain and England are out, so that leaves these five, with latest odds in brackets: Brazil (4.5) Argentina (5.0) Germany (5.0) Italy (34.0) France 10.0) Italy are favourites to qualify, but have to avoid defeat to Uruguay. The other four are strong favourites to qualify. I also think it's important to remember the importance of defending as well as attacking. It's rare to find a team with a weak defence winning any tournament, no matter how good their attack is. All five countries above have been reasonably good in defence. At the odds above, I think France (10.0) and Italy (34.0) are worth thinking about. I've been impressed with France. If Italy qualify tomorrow, their odds will drop a bit.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting African Teams to Reach Last 16 - Four @ 17/1 - Betfair Think this is worthy of a small bet. Currently 3 African teams sit in second place, 1 in third and 1 already out. Ivory Coast's final game is against bottom of the table team Greece who look terrible. A draw could be enough to secure their passage if Japan don't beat Columbia, which I can't see happening. Nigeria are 3 points clear of third place with a final game against Argentina, who may be resting players. A loss will still put them through providing Bosnia don't get beat by Iran. Ghana is going to be the tricky one. They were brilliant against Germany and I fully expect them to beat Portugal by at least a few. They are relying on USA vs Germany not ending in a draw though. I don't think they'll deliberately go out to draw the game as there would be a huge backlash, especially with Klinsmann being the ex-Germany manager. Algeria just need a draw against a rubbish Russian side providing Korea don't beat Belgium by 3 goals. It's just that Ghana group which scares me but at them odds I think it's worth the punt. By the time that match takes place we'll already know Ivory Coast and Nigeria's fate so I'll cover myself with a bet of the Germany USA draw if the bet is still live.

50pts Argentina to win @ 5.50 Betfair (with a view to cash out 40-50pts for profit after group stages) Past world cup winners, runner-up: 2010 - Spain, Holland 2006 - Italy, France 2002 - Brazil, Germany 1998 - France, Brazil 1994 - Brazil, Italy 1990 - Germany, Argentina 1986 - Argentina, Germany 1982 - Italy, Germany
That's a really weird stat considering that semi-finalists have been surprise teams in several of those WCs. In '02 Turkey and South Korea made semis. In '94 Bulgaria and Sweden made semis.

That's a really weird stat considering that semi-finalists have been surprise teams in several of those WCs. In '02 Turkey and South Korea made semis. In '94 Bulgaria and Sweden made semis.
Surely all that means is that the surprise teams did not have enough quality to reach the finals on any of above mentioned occasions? On another note, my bet is going badly, the damn line has not moved a single bit :(

• 2 weeks later...

50pts Argentina to win @ 5.50 Betfair (with a view to cash out 40-50pts for profit after group stages) 3pts Islam Slimani - Top Algeria Goalscorer @ 5.00 Betvictor
The only thing that seems to have gone right for me. Slimani finished with 2 goals and 1 assist. Cashed out on Argentina for a 2pt loss yesterday before the game began. +10pts

its either argentina or brazil and since both can meet in the final it comes down to messi v neymar so hence the choice is obvious
I see it exactly the same, but I hope I am wrong because I would like to see a European team in the final.

Re: World Cup 2014 > Outright Betting ello all, First time poster here. Firstly, i apologize for posting this in the wrong thread but i couldn't find an appropiate thread for this query. So, i have had a paddy power account for a couple of year's now, no problems. Won a few quid over the years but nothing amazing, probably doesn't even amount to a e1000, in total really. Last year i opened a Bet365 account and soon after discovered the season outright accum bet type. I never knew these existed and so i chanced one.. e20 on 12 teams, payed out e15000 there in may.. happy days.. Now, the new season is upon us already so i decided i'll chance another this year. This time on my PaddyPower account, E200 stake this time, 8 teams, pays E100,000, (was E104,674 but was limited to E100,000 shortly after, the guy from customer care said 'dont worry, your bet's still good' just something about their traders limit the bet or something) So, my mum decides she doesn't want to miss out this year if i pull it off again and asks me to open a Paddy Power account for her, uses her own debit card too. i do this off my laptop and do the exact same bet. she never gambles, never. I do all this yesterday, my bet and hers, on my own pp account and her pp account. No problem i thought, no big deal. did both bets, however, today on my account i noticed my pp account seems to have been limited now. The stakes i can place have been limited it seems to e12 or so, which is strange. My accum btw consists of 1. Man utd (top 4) 2.Barca o/r 3. derby county (Promotion) 4. Peterborough (Promotion) 5. Juve o/r 6. Aberdeen w/o celtic 7. G. Rangers o/r 8. Monaco (top 3 finish) The weird thing now with my account also is , if i try to bet on any three of aberdeen, derby or peterborough from that accum in either another accum or single bet, it reads 'max bet exceeded'?? but the other teams from the accum are fine for me to bet on if i wish?? All this is exactly the same with my mums account too. I will not now place any more bets with Paddy Power but could someone on here please shed some light on this for me anyway? I suppose i would really like to know that if these two accums do come off for mum and myself, will PP pay out? That would be sickening to think you've won 100k each only to find out different. Do they think im rocking multiple accounts or something? Sorry about the awful long post and prob in the wrong place too but this is really bugging me now Thank you