** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn]Belgium v Algeria (17:00 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.44[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]5.5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]11[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]96.52 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 6 months later...

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th 4pts Both teams to score 11/10 BetVictor Algeria didn’t score a single goal at the last World Cup but they go into this tournament in better shape and had a couple of good warm up wins against Armenia and Romania and they will fancy their chances here. Belgium look a good side but I’m not convinced they are totally reliable and they haven’t played in a tournament for so long so there could be a few nerves around them. Goals have been a feature of this tournament so far and both have decent goal threats in them here and some creative players too so odds against on both sides scoring could well be the way to go here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/belgium-vs-algeria-betting-both-sides-can-score-in-group-h-opener

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th I think Belgium should win this one but the odds on the win look a little short, with Benteke out Lukaku will be there main striker and he is in good form scoring against Sweden and getting a hat trick against Luxembourg in the pre world cup friendlies. On this basis i think there is good value on Lukaku to score and Belgium to win. 3pts Lukaku to score and Belgium to win 8/5 (2.6) Coral

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th 4pts Belgium to win & Over 2.5 Goals @ 2.375 Skybet I feel that Algeria are the dark horses of their group and could potentially cause an upset against Russia and South Korea to qualify. They have scored in their last 13 games in a row. They also won both of their warm up games and in the process scored 5 goals in those games. Belgium on the other hand warmed up for the world cup by winning all 3 of their games and by scoring a total of 8 goals in those games. Both sides have good attacking threats but when everything has been said and done, I fancy Belgium to come out on top in a high scoring game especially with the superior number of quality players in their side.

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th I've just got a feeling that Belgium are being talked up a bit too much, and at the same time Algeria might be under-estimated. I was reading about Algeria in the Racing Post WC betting guide this morning. They said Algeria have been recruiting French-based Algerians who failed to make the France team, and they might have a point to prove. I get the impression they are a step up from the side who failed to score in South Africa 2010. I'm going to take a risk and oppose Belgium here at the current odds. Algeria or Draw 4.0 Marathon Stake: 4 points

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th Algeria a very hard nut to crack and they've shown that on many occasions. Algeria participated in the WC2010 in South Africa, having conceded only 2 goals in 3 group matches, plus they managed to hold England to a goalless draw after some very strong performances. The Algerian squad is well packed with both experience and quality, with players like Bougherra(ex-Glasgow Rangers), Feghouli(Valencia), Lacen(Getafe), Slimani(Sporting Lisbon), Ghoulam(Napoli), Bentaleb(Tottenham), Ghilas(FC Porto), Brahimi(Granada), Mesbah(Parma), Medjani(Monaco), Yebda(Udinese), Taider(Inter Milan)...and so on and so on...Most of their players are playing in top European leagues, they're experienced, well organized and more than capable of troubling pretty much everyone on their day. Belgium surely have got more class than Algeria, but they're nowhere near being as impressive as people say. They don't play some spectacular football, plus they're defense is extremely shaky, so they could face some serious problems today. Algeria +1.5 for me!

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th I am fancying with 2-0 score. In truth I am waiting a few matches for this score. I don't remember when last time was so long time without 2-0 (or 1-1 score). I decided to bet on every match on 2-0 and/or 1-1 score. Odds are high so I need just one bet won in next couple of matches. And I think this match could be very good candidate.

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th Correct Score: Belgium 1-0 Matched @ 9.0 Betfair Belgium 2-0 Matched @ 8.0 Betfair A few 'shrewdies' seem to think Algeria can get something from this game and that Belgium are being over rated. Personally I disagree and I can see Belgium performing extremely well in this tournament. The spine of their team is excellent and they have some great defensive players in there which makes them a very solid unit indeed. In Hazard and De Bruyn they also have the creativity needed to unlock a stubborn defence like Algeria's. Losing Benteke was a blow but Lukaku is the all round perfect modern day striker. He offers everything you want from a forward in a 4231 system. I can see him doing very well in the tournament. One thing that I do agree with though is that the match odds on Belgium are too short. Algeria are certainly no whipping boys and they will be a tough nut to crack. They did well in qualifications but they weren't always up against the best quality opposition. They will no doubt look to catch Belgium on the break and counter at every opportunity. But Belgium look fine at the back and with Courtois in goal and Kompany commanding the defence, I think Algeria will struggle to net. It may well be a tight game and I'm not keen on the -1.5 handicap about Belgium but I am confident they will get a professional job done and step up to the plate. The odds on Belgium to win to nil are just 2.10 generally and I'm not exactly expecting a 3,4,5 - 0 score line. But diutching the 1-0 + 2-0 odds offers a much more appealing price and looks the way to go in this match.

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th The bet for me here was quite obvious, given Algerias previous world cup record. I don't know if its the goal craze from first round of matches or belgium hype but either way I find under 0.5 goals is 15 @ bet365 and it just looks like very good value to me. Algeria is not a poor side, particularly not on the defense, and Belgium is hyped but unproven when it comes to ze world cup. Will this game end in a 0-0 more than 1 in 15 times? Hell yes I take this bet any day.

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th

One thing to keep in mind is that Belo Horizonte has an altitude of 827m. Belguim is mostly a low-lying country and players could be affected by the high altitude.
Most of the belgian starters aren´t playing in the Jupiler-League, so this shouldn´t matter. Especially if you remember that Algeria is quite flat too.

I am fancying with 2-0 score. In truth I am waiting a few matches for this score. I don't remember when last time was so long time without 2-0 (or 1-1 score). I decided to bet on every match on 2-0 and/or 1-1 score. Odds are high so I need just one bet won in next couple of matches. And I think this match could be very good candidate.
Very :welcometo the forum Yuri.

Most of the belgian starters aren´t playing in the Jupiler-League' date=' so this shouldn´t matter. Especially if you remember that Algeria is quite flat too.[/quote'] Well, they are playing in England which the same in terms of altitude. Alger has higher altitude, the capital, Algiers, while located on the Mediterranean Sea, has a highest elevation of 424m.

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th Both kojic and wisey's selections look decent here. I think that demonstrates how conflicted I am about this game, considering taking Algeria +1.5 covered with Belgium 2-0 correct score :lol It's too much, I can't take it, gonna sit this one out lads. Good luck.

Both kojic and wisey's selections look decent here. I think that demonstrates how conflicted I am about this game, considering taking Algeria +1.5 covered with Belgium 2-0 correct score :lol It's too much, I can't take it, gonna sit this one out lads. Good luck.
I'm feeling a little like this. I had: Algeria +2.0 Covered with: Belgium 3-0 Belgium 4-1 Belgium 4-0 (I lose a little each way if Algeria lose by 3 or more) I honestly think if Belgium performs well as a team this is a straight forward win for them - they have the attacking power to win by 2+; but this game is starting to feel like the Uruguay V Costa Rica game where everyone thought Uruguay would win indefinitely, but Costa Rica surprised everyone. Belgium WIN is just far too short at $1.33 for me to have confidence in backing them.

Belgium WIN is just far too short at $1.33 for me to have confidence in backing them.
For sure, it's ridiculously short. One of those games where you feel bets can be made but a complex package has to be put together and then can't be bothered to sell it to the forum otherwise you'll look like a maniac. Also any unexpected leftfield scoreline will just annihilate you, best to sit in a dark room and wait till it's all over.

For sure, it's ridiculously short. One of those games where you feel bets can be made but a complex package has to be put together and then can't be bothered to sell it to the forum otherwise you'll look like a maniac. Also any unexpected leftfield scoreline will just annihilate you, best to sit in a dark room and wait till it's all over.
Hahaha, glad I'm not the only one! I've spent the last hour trying an array of cover bets, and the best profit margin I can amount if $10. Perhaps it's worth risking the Algeria +2; Belgium is in a fairly easy group and should comfortably qualify first - I imagine they will want to conserve energy for deeper into the tournament.

One thing to keep in mind is that Belo Horizonte has an altitude of 827m. Belguim is mostly a low-lying country and players could be affected by the high altitude.
Around 90% of the population of Algeria is along the coastline, hence, at around 0 altitude. Anyway, 800 is not that much, actually it is above 1,800 when the altitude starts to take some toll, so it shouldn't matter so much.

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th I feel that while Algeria are undoubtedly worth a little credit, the punting world are laying it on far too thick in my opinion. They qualified yes but benefit hugely from belonging to a poor confederation and will not progress past the group in my opinion. The flip side of the coin is that while Belgium are potentially a strong side - the reverse is also true in that most people have well overplayed their chances. Its nice to see that the majority of people are now noticing that the Belgium price express was getting carried away and their price is beginning to return to its natural place. I honestly think that Belgium will win this and win it well but the price is unfortunately a little short to back. Im interested in overs so will be getting involved there and also think that Belgium will win -1 but again the price is not much more than Belgium 1x2 so wont be having a bet there....unless i get tempted 2 mins before Ko....lol Good luck with your bets.

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th Belgium are not over-estimated: in fact they are one of the most balanced and top quality teams in the whole tournament, having world class and in-form players at nearly each position. I have been left with the impression in the qualifiers that they control the game pretty well with good possession and stable defense (almost non-vulnerable on counter-attacks). But they don't attack so intensely and rarely win with big margins. Algeria is a decent team, but still nothing special, when they play away from their hot-tempered fans in Algeria. They will surely be more negative today and try to hold the Belgians as long as possible, and Algeria will take a draw with Belgium without hesitation. All in all, I don't think Belgium will miss the opportunity to win and I think the class gap is huge enough in this match. However, I am not touching the handicap, as Belgium are not very prolific and often they prefer to kill of the game tempo after taking the lead, instead of pushing all the way like the Germans would do. Therefore, I am going for the goal market, as I believe the Belgium defense is very solid and Algeria will be as negative as possible. Under 3 @ 1.78 (Marathon) World Cup 2014 Stats: 6Bets, 6 Wins, 0 Losses + 6.51 Units (1 Unit per bet)

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th This world cup has been following a definite pattern up to now, with many goals scored, European teams doing a professional job in extreme conditions in certain cases. This has been obvious since the opening match where Croatia gave Brasil a run for their money and confirmed a few days ago when the Swiss overcame Ecuador. The African teams have been disappointing to say the least, and when Nigeria and Ghana, the two teams who were in the African cup of nations finals if I'm not mistaken, are held by Iran and beaten by the USA respectively then you have to fear for them in this tournament. Belgium is one of the teams on the rise on the European scene and somewhat unproven but it should be noted that the last two decades of relative obscurity was only a hiatus as Belgium was a force to be reckoned with in football in the eighties and Nineties with a tradition of great footballers such as Gerets, Vercauteren and world class keepers such as Prudhomme, so it's not as if they have no pedigree as a football nation. What I'm driving at is I can see a comfortable win for Belgium, they will come out of the blocks fast and might score fairly early as they won't be too concerned about saving energy for the latter stages of the tournament like Italians or Spanish do as they will want to burst on the big scene and Hazard and company certainly have the talent to do so. The home/home @ 2.05 seems very appealing and that's where my money will be.

Re: Group H - Belgium v Algeria > Tuesday June 17th After a disastrous day yesterday for me im back on the horse with this match. Again im going to avoid the usual markets and instead choose to focus on where I feel the value is. Algeria are a different beast from 2010 and now have a clutch of players who are capable of making teams like Belgium work for their win. I dont know if they have enough to take anything from this game but they will certainly make a match of it. I think the talents of Feghouli, Bentaleb and Soudani will cause players like Vertonghen and Alderweireld a few problems, especially trying to prevent crosses to the afore mentioned striker. I can see Algeria trying to make a game of this and will be backing OVER 2 CORNERS IN 2ND HALF FOR ALGERIA @ 9/5. The other market I will be looking at will be bookings. Although the referee for this game is Mexico's Rodriguez who loves the sight of his own cards, I feel that given the nature of these two teams, the value for me is in the unders on cards. Belgium rarely pick up more than a single booking in their matches and aren't too dirty a team (minus the hatchet man with the afro). Algeria are a solid team but dont tend to pick up too many cards either. Soccerway tells me that Rodriguez averages 4 cards a game during internationals so this adds a bit of risk to my bet but for me im backing UNDER 35 BOOKING POINTS @ 11/8 as the tournament hasn't seen too many card fests! So thats UNDER 35 BOOKING POINTS @ 11/8 ladbrokes OVER 2 CORNERS IN 2ND HALF FOR ALGERIA @ 9/5 ladbrokes

I've just got a feeling that Belgium are being talked up a bit too much, and at the same time Algeria might be under-estimated. I was reading about Algeria in the Racing Post WC betting guide this morning. They said Algeria have been recruiting French-based Algerians who failed to make the France team, and they might have a point to prove. I get the impression they are a step up from the side who failed to score in South Africa 2010. I'm going to take a risk and oppose Belgium here at the current odds. Algeria or Draw 4.0 Marathon Stake: 4 points
Result: Belgium 2 Algeria 1 Bet lost Stake: 4 points Return: nil I thought Belgium did enough to win in the end. Algeria perhaps could have got more if they'd been a bit more positive, but they concentrated on defending their lead, and ultimately fell short. Reasonably happy with the bet. Although it lost, I think there was some value there at the odds on offer. You could imagine Algeria winning or drawing more than 1 in 4 games between them.

Under 3 @ 1.78 (Marathon) World Cup 2014 Stats: 6Bets, 6 Wins, 0 Losses + 6.51 Units (1 Unit per bet)
2:1 final score, bet VOID. I feel the bet was closer to winning than losing, given the very slow tempo and lack of good scoring chances. Of course, in the end Belgium could have scored some on the break and make the bet a loss. Congrats to the guys who have backed Algeria on the handicap, because they seem to have read the game very well. Although, with different line-up, Belgium could have looked differently and been much more dangerous. I feel that Wilmots made some cardinal mistakes by playing the mediocre and predictable winger Chadli, instead of two world class players like Mertens and Mirallas. Another big mistake was using against the packed Algerian defense just one powerful attacker - Lukaku, backed from behind by the small and non-physical De Bryuine. When the strong and tall Fellaini entered and backed up Origi up-front, Belgium was way more dangerous. World Cup 2014 Stats: 6Bets, 6 Wins, 0 Losses, 1 Void + 6.51 Units (1 Unit per bet)

After a disastrous day yesterday for me im back on the horse with this match. Again im going to avoid the usual markets and instead choose to focus on where I feel the value is. Algeria are a different beast from 2010 and now have a clutch of players who are capable of making teams like Belgium work for their win. I dont know if they have enough to take anything from this game but they will certainly make a match of it. I think the talents of Feghouli, Bentaleb and Soudani will cause players like Vertonghen and Alderweireld a few problems, especially trying to prevent crosses to the afore mentioned striker. I can see Algeria trying to make a game of this and will be backing OVER 2 CORNERS IN 2ND HALF FOR ALGERIA @ 9/5. The other market I will be looking at will be bookings. Although the referee for this game is Mexico's Rodriguez who loves the sight of his own cards, I feel that given the nature of these two teams, the value for me is in the unders on cards. Belgium rarely pick up more than a single booking in their matches and aren't too dirty a team (minus the hatchet man with the afro). Algeria are a solid team but dont tend to pick up too many cards either. Soccerway tells me that Rodriguez averages 4 cards a game during internationals so this adds a bit of risk to my bet but for me im backing UNDER 35 BOOKING POINTS @ 11/8 as the tournament hasn't seen too many card fests! So thats UNDER 35 BOOKING POINTS @ 11/8 ladbrokes OVER 2 CORNERS IN 2ND HALF FOR ALGERIA @ 9/5 ladbrokes
UNDER 35 BOOKING POINTS @ 11/8 WIN! OVER 2 CORNERS IN 2ND HALF FOR ALGERIA @ 9/5 LOSE One out of two bets came in for a solid return. Im happy with that!