** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th

Aidymac

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row1] [TD=class: firstColumn]Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk (19:45 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.87[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.75[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.15[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]104.24 % [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th Man United odds for this game has been rising after their loss to Newcastle and I have a feeling many will be betting against United because of their form but the price on United (currently at bet365 is 2.05) is just too tempting. No one gave United a chance against Bayern Leverkusen away and they thrashed them 5-0. In contrast to their league form, United's European form has been excellent. Shakhtar Donetsk are no great shakes away from home and I just can't see United not winning this one. Outright United win 2.05 @bet365

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th United have already qualified for the knockout stages so it will be a good chance for Moyes to rest some players. Shakhtar know they have to win the game to guarantee qualification, I would personally find it hard to back a team that doesn't have to get a result against a team that does have to get a result, especially when they have lost their last 2 home games without scoring a goal aswell. A game to stay away from for me personally..

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th From UEFA.com

Group A Manchester United FC (11pts) v FC Shakhtar Donetsk (8) Real Sociedad de Fútbol (1) v Bayer 04 Leverkusen (7) • United are through and will clinch first place with a draw. • Shakhtar will advance as group winners with a victory. If they draw, they will go through if Leverkusen do not win. If Shakhtar lose, they will only progress if Leverkusen are also defeated. • Leverkusen will be through with a victory if Shakhtar do not win. A draw will be enough for Leverkusen if Shakhtar lose thanks to their superior head-to-head. • La Real will finish fourth.

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th Well, seriously.. When do we get such a great price for a home win of UTD in the CL? around evens is a gift for me. I also backed them heavily against Leverkusen and they deliverd like they always do in europe. Especially at home! Than the odds were around 1.75 but around 2.00 is way too high in my opinion. Ofcourse shaktar has experience and do have some quality players especially upfront but not way United will give this match away. There results are not good in the league but if you look closely to all of those matches they were very unlucky.. Against everton they were the far better side. Against newcastle they also should have taken the lead with a penalty and a red card for Anita. They do play a lot better recently and it's just a matter of time before they start winning again. They have some missings for this game but I'm confident moyes will send out a quality side tomorrow night and that some doubted players will still start. They won both their CL home games while their form was also bad. Now rooney and van persie are finall back together and this duo is deadly against any opponent. I have no doubts they will deliver a strong performance at home to win the group here. Kagawa, nani, giggs, valencia all class players will back up their strikers. They always raise their game in the CL, great crowd at old trafford and this will be a huge support for the team. I did some research and their home record in the CL is just outstanding! only 4 losses in 50 games, group stage and Knock-out rounds. and in 3 out of those 4 matches they played with a sub squad. 4th loss was against Real madrid last year but also very unlucky, we all saw that game live. No way they deserved to loose that game. Shaktar lost many of their away games in the CL especially against the top teams. Losses against : Barcelona, arsenal, dortmund, leverkusen, porto, zenit, chelsea. They won a couple of games but those sides were mediocre. They conceded a lot away from home against the top teams and they will concede tomorrow. It depends on UTD's line-up, hope vidic will play but anyways BTS should be a decent bet. Shaktar will look for goals here and they will get chances in 90 minutes. But United to win is the bet of the round for me! United fans are having a hard time, moyes is having a really hard time, the club owners are having a bad time, the squad gets knock after knock but this will only motivate them more than ever. They will be fired up for this game and we will see goals, no doubt about that. I'm playing high stakes on the home win, home advantage, experience, great record, and they still have great players. Shaktar won't hold this United team for 90 minutes and huge gaps will fall in shaktar's defense as they will go for a win here. This suits United well. Group winner will be a great advantage and they know it. The premier league is hard to win this year so they will be extremely focussed on the CL. Goodluck all.

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th

Man United odds for this game has been rising after their loss to Newcastle and I have a feeling many will be betting against United because of their form but the price on United (currently at bet365 is 2.05) is just too tempting. No one gave United a chance against Bayern Leverkusen away and they thrashed them 5-0. In contrast to their league form, United's European form has been excellent. Shakhtar Donetsk are no great shakes away from home and I just can't see United this one. Outright United win 2.05 @bet365
United's European form has been excellent?! 1:1 against Shakhtar, then victory over Leverkusen which sh*t in their pants when face Man United, even their coach said that his players were kind of scared, so both victories over Bayer were logical. Then very very poor game vs Sociedad at Old Trafford and even worst in Spain. If this is excellent I don't know what is a bad performance.

Totally agree. United are overpriced here and should cruise to victory against a team that is known to travel badly. Old Trafford is still a fortress on European nights and you have to fancy the devils to win this one with Rooney and Van Persie reunited for the cause. Home win at even money is unmissable for me. It's one of those very' date=' very rare 10/10 kind of bets.[/quote'] :unsure

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th 4pts Shakhtar (+0.5AH) to beat Man Utd 1.84 BetVictor United are going to be hurting after their two recent defeats and normally Shakhtar could be on the end of a reaction from that but with United having a series of injuries that reaction may not come here. We know Shakhtar are going to give this a good go because in all likelihood they have to win so siding with them on the Asian handicap may not be the worst move. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/man-utd-vs-shakhtar-donetsk-betting-shakhtar-can-avoid-defeat-in-must-win-game-at-old-trafford

United's European form has been excellent?! 1:1 against Shakhtar' date=' then victory over Leverkusen which sh*t in their pants when face Man United, even their coach said that his players were kind of scared, so both victories over Bayer were logical. Then very very poor game vs Sociedad at Old Trafford and even worst in Spain. If this is excellent I don't know what is a bad performance.[/quote'] Say what you like about United but they are still unbeaten in Europe. I honestly don't see what's wrong with a 1-1 result in Shakhtar, Shakhar has always been a strong team at home and 1-1 is a good result for any team. Also, I'd like to add that Bayern Leverkusen is an incredibly strong team at home. They held Bayern Munich to a draw, won their last game away against Dortmund and won all their home matches in Europe bar the United game. I remember reading somewhere they won their last 8 home matches too prior to the United game. United might be terrible in the league but you have to give them credits where it's due because they are performing well in Europe and their group is supposedly meant to be a tough and tricky group as compared to the groups they were in all these years.

I think United are the value here. When will you ever see odds over 2 for them at home on a European night :loon at home to a side who aren't in the top bracket of European sides. Let's not forget, this is still the same United side that hammered Leverkusen 5-0. Normally at this stage you'd expect them to make wholesale changes and lose 1-0. But things are different now and I doubt whether massive changes will be made as a third home loss in a row would be unthinkable. They really need the win to regain some confidence. Like I say, if someone tells me they're resting half the first team then no chance. Clear over reaction in the market IMO.

I think United are the value here. When will you ever see odds over 2 for them at home on a European night :loon at home to a side who aren't in the top bracket of European sides. Let's not forget, this is still the same United side that hammered Leverkusen 5-0. Normally at this stage you'd expect them to make wholesale changes and lose 1-0. But things are different now and I doubt whether massive changes will be made as a third home loss in a row would be unthinkable. They really need the win to regain some confidence. Like I say, if someone tells me they're resting half the first team then no chance. Clear over reaction in the market IMO.
Exactly. Lots of knee-jerk reactions from the ABU and I got a feeling the bookies are trying to lure the punters to bet against United because of their recent poor run of form. United reminds me of Rafael Benitez's Liverpool side back in the day, they were terribly inconsistent in the league but performing above expectations in Europe. You won't get another United home win at this odds against a low tier European team again so a United win is very good value for me.

Exactly. Lots of knee-jerk reactions from the ABU and I got a feeling the bookies are trying to lure the punters to bet against United because of their recent poor run of form. United reminds me of Rafael Benitez's Liverpool side back in the day' date= they were terribly inconsistent in the league but performing above expectations in Europe. You won't get another United home win at this odds against a low tier European team again so a United win is very good value for me.
What an amazing assumption... So, all the bookies in the world...from now on, you guys will price Bayern, Barcelona, Real, at all matches above 2.00...that way you lure the punters to bet against them... Hilarious...:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th I watched Shakhtar vs Sociedad and I can say that their defence is weaker part of the squad (Pyatov (GK) is insecure,Rakitsky and Kucher don`t work well together). On the other hand they are brilliant offensively with players like Douglas Costa, Bernard, Taison,... They are especially good at counter attacking and in match vs Sociedad they scored 2 brilliant goals in transition phase. A lot of Shakhatar players run from deep (Srna made some 15 runs up and dwon the pitch vs Spaniards) and they strike clinically.The ball is passed quickly and finishing is deadly. I think Manchester is also better attacking wise (though they didn`t score in last two games) and their defence is struggling. United will have a difficult task tonight if they let Shakhtar space for counter attacks - and that`s the scenario I expect to see (United will dictate the tempo and Shakhtar will try to hit them from counters). I think both to score is a good option in this match due to the fact both teams are good offensively and worse defensively, but if I had to pick a winner I would definitely pick Shakhtar. Shakhtar dnb is a very good bet IMO.

What an amazing assumption... So, all the bookies in the world...from now on, you guys will price Bayern, Barcelona, Real, at all matches above 2.00...that way you lure the punters to bet against them... Hilarious...:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
Offer up your own insight rather than slating other members please :ok

Offer up your own insight rather than slating other members please :ok
yeah, you´re right..sorry Jase and Armageddon. anyway...given the fact that nowadays every team can score in Old Trafford, the fact that Man Utd hasn´t score twice in a row at home, the fact that Shakhtar will play for their lives...BTS seems a good outcome. I wont touch the 1X2 cause i wont be surprised if Man Utd fails to deliver again. GL to all

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th I have to disapprove the majority of the punters and bet Shakhtar and over 2.5 goals @ 5.5 at bet365 for the following reasons: United 1) United's rubbish form this season (at home: 3 wins - 2 draws - 3 loses) 2) United is qualified and moyes will give minutes to youngsters and players who played less this season because saturday they play at villa park, a tough ground where they've won in 87 minute last year after they vila lead 2-0 at HT. 3) United is lying on the 9th place in PL so moyes can't afford to tire his key men in UCL where they are qualified 4) Remember United's lash UCL home group game last year, thay 0-1 against CFR Cluj, a game where they had no objective, just like now Shakhtar 1) Great recent form (4 wins in their last 4 games) 2) United drawn lucky in the first game. Shakhtar dominated that game and moyes admitted it 3) Mircea Lucescu is a tactical master mind and you should remember chelsea 0-2 besiktas in UCL 2002 season or chelsea 3-2 shakhtar one year ago, a game shakhtar dominated 4) if west brom or newcastle can win on old trafford against united's best 11, than shakhtar, a team with players like bernard, luiz adriano and darijo srna, can do it as well I've chosen to bet over 2.5 goals because shakhtar has a rubbish defence and an outstanding attack. To sum up, i think you should pay more respect to a team who won the Europa League in 2009 and played QF in UCL 2 seasons ago. We'll see the outcome and talk after the game.

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th Man Utd haven't lost 3 successive home games since the 60's they will be up for this game tonight but I'd have imagined they would have been up for the Everton and Newcastle games as well. Some of the natives are already shouting for Moyes to go but even if someone new came in they would still have the same squad to use. I personally don't rate Shakthar as a top European team so I was surprised to see Man U being offered at very tempting odds. As Man U have already qualified I normally leave these games alone but I'm going to have bet on ManUtd (depending on team news) because Old Trafford will be fired up for this tonight

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th I doubt Moyes will risk Van Persie tonight, I may be wrong.. My idea of the team would be De Gea, Rafael, Rio Ferdinand, Evans, Buttner, Giggs, Jones, Januzaj, Kagawa, Rooney & Young If this is the case, I certainly would rather just sit back and watch the game, hard to be confident with us at the moment even at Old Trafford

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th "Manchester United" (Manchester, England) - "Shakhtar" (Donetsk, Ukraine) Referee: Milorad Mazhich (Serbia) Assistant referees: Milovan Ristic, Dalibor Djurdjevic (both - Serbia) Additional assistant referees: Danilo Grujic, Miodrag Gogic (both - Serbia) Fourth official: Milan Minic (Serbia) UEFA Delegate: Paul Kreenbyul (Switzerland) Referee observer: Sergey Zuev (Russia) Disqualified: none After a convincing victory over the basques 4-0, Shakhtar before the final round, not only came to strategically comfortable second place in the group, but also ensured the spring part in European competition. However, it would be: playoffs in Europa League or the Champions League - will be decided today in Manchester, where the "miners" will withstand the most titled club in England, the 20-time champion of the country. Sure to guarantee the continuation of the struggle within the Champions League, Shakhtar need a victory, in other options (defeat or draw) will have to look in the direction of San Sebastian, where unmotivated Real takes tuned exclusively on visiting Bayer Leverkusen. Curiously, in the case of today's victory Lucescu team qualifies for the playoffs with the first place, because the priority with equal points are the results of personal meetings (remember, in Donetsk was a draw). At the same time with equal points at Bayer and "miners" (this would be the case if "the pharmacists" play a draw, and the miners lose in Manchester) - to the next round will pass, the german team. I do not think that "black and orange" team from the first minute rush to the attack with his sword unsheathed. Most likely, Mircea Lucescu build the game in the same way as it was in opposition to Donetsk (I think, in the center of midfield again trust in defensive tandem Fernando - Hubschman, rather than a universal pair midfielder Stepanenko - Fred). Manchester United lost their last two games. With the same score of 0-1. First, Everton, then Newcastle managed to take away three points from Manchester. Thus, hosts are certainly not going to play a loss for the third time in a row and try rehabilitated in the eyes of their own fans. For such legendary teams as MU, things like that, believe me, is not an empty phrase. In England Mircea Lucescu took 20 players, including two goalkeepers. Interestingly, in Manchester has come to visit and support the miners the recent leader of the Ukrainian team brazilian Fernandinho. Midfielder was not just something to remember old friends, but also, perhaps, to share some secrets of the game MU. Fern took part in the Manchester derby and then "citizens", I recall won - 4:1. This is the 43th time to face off with the clubs representing Albion. Significant advantage in the statistics on the side of the pioneers of football, winning twice as likely (detailed layout below). Guards and the fact that the Ukrainian clubs has never scored a victory in England. Shakhtar can write his name in history. Note that in the confrontation of miners with British teams observed absolute parity: 4 wins each and 3 draws, and even on the number of goals scored and conceded there is equality: 18 - 18! In the field today will work referees from Serbia Milorad Mazhich, received category FIFA referee relatively recently - in the year of 2009. Since then, the 40-year-old from Belgrade worked for six matches under the auspices of the Champions League. Manchester United with him beat the portuguese Braga (3:2) at home, but with the Donetsk team met for the first time. Place in the UEFA club rankings (as of November 28, 2013) Manchester United: 5th place Shakhtar: 15th place England vs Ukraine (clubs): Played 42 times 20 English clubs 13 draws 9 wins Ukrainian clubs goal difference: 59:42 Shakhtar against clubs from England: 11 matches played; 4 wins for the miners 4 wins English clubs 3 draws goal difference 18:18 Shakhtar against clubs from England. Match by match 20.09.2000. UCL. Arsenal (London) - Shakhtar 3:2 07.11.2000. UCL. Shakhtar - Arsenal (London) 3:0 19.02.2009. UEFA Cup. 1/16 Shakhtar - Tottenham (London) 2:0 26.02.2009. UEFA Cup. 1/16 Tottenham (London) - Shakhtar 1:1 18.02.2010. LE. 1/16 Fulham (London) - Shakhtar 2:1 25.02.2010. LE. 1/16 Shakhtar - Fulham (London) 1:1 19.10.2010. UCL. Group stage. Arsenal (London) - Shakhtar 5:1 03.11.2010. UCL. Group stage. Shakhtar - Arsenal (London) 2:1 23.10.2012. UCL. Group stage. Shakhtar - Chelsea (London) 2:1 07.11.2012. UCL. Group stage. Chelsea (London) - Shakhtar 3:2 02.10.2013. UCL. Group stage. Shakhtar - Manchester United (Manchester) 1:1 Manchester United against clubs from Ukraine: 5 matches played; 3 wins Manchester United 2 draws goal difference: 10:3 Manchester United against clubs from Ukraine. Match by match 19.09.2000. Champions League. Dinamo Kiev - Manchester United 0:0 08.11.2000. Champions League. Manchester United - Dinamo Kiev 1:0 23.10.2007. Champions League. Dinamo Kiev - Manchester United 2:4 07.11.2007. Champions League. Manchester United - Dinamo Kiev 4:0 02.10.2013. UCL. Group stage. Shakhtar - Manchester United 1:1 Series within the European cup: - Man Utd for the 19th time taking part in the Champions League, having one season more than Barcelona, Real Madrid and Porto - For Man Utd is the 18th tournament (Champions League) in a row - Shakhtar for the 4th consecutive time taking part in the group stage, which is a club record David Moyes: "It is important to give yourself the best option in the playoffs, to finish the group stage unbeaten. The most important thing for us was to go to the next round, we have coped with this problem. Now we need to win today. Recently, we did not play as much as might be desired. We want to make some improvements, but, unfortunately, they did not produce results. Lost two matches on own field, we have not had a chance to regroup quickly to act as we would like." Mircea Lucescu: "What do you mean, Manchester in bad mood? Two weeks ago, beat Bayer Leverkusen away 5-0. This is a different competition, which can not be compared. One thing - UEFA Champions League, the other - the championship of England, in which all the teams know each other perfectly, know how to play against each other. Therefore, the results obtained sometimes unexpected. None of the players will not think about the events in San Sebastian. The main thing - to approach the most prepared for the match against Manchester United Eduardo: "When you play against Manchester United at Old Trafford , you do not need any extra motivation." Fernando: "We practiced this week, as ever! I think we're ready to get out on the field and show good result. The whole team has revised all the matches of our future opponent. Manchester United - a very strong club. We must be one hundred percent focused and act like always do it on "Donbass Arena". The most important thing - to attack from the start, so we will achieve victory." Manchester United has lost the last two matches in the Premier League, both in his field, but Mircea Lucescu is not paying attention to it, because in the current Champions League Man Utd are unbeaten. "These are two very different competitions. Comparing them makes no sense." Hosts need a positive result to take first place in the group and then do not meet someone of the giants" - he said. In general, from any side of any look, and on this Tuesday evening Donetsk players certainly need to win at Old Trafford. Then the result of the parallel match they will not be interested at all. But otherwise... Championship went to the winter break in Ukraine, so that his last match Shakhtar played a week ago. Then rival was Chernomorets Odessa, the miners managed to win, thanks to a single goal, by Luiz Adriano. To sum it up, a team that had 15 shots on goal in Germany vs "the pharmacists" from Bayer, won it 5-0 cannot be at home priced at evens against Shakhtar. Despite some of the south americans players of Shakhtar who said that they will attack earlier, this is unlikely to happen because Mircea Lucescu wont go forward and he will try to keep the match tight while getting news from San Sebastian. The match will be decided in the last 15 minutes, this if Real Sociedad wont lead before 75th minute by 3 goals difference (in this case if Man Utd - Shakhtar will be a "closed" one, it ends in a draw for sure). But, knowing Leverkusen has an advantage in San Sebastian, we shall see at least a goal after the 74th minute at Old Trafford. Tip: Goal after minute 74? Yes @ 1.83 Bet365

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th Robin van Persie is on the bench for Manchester United, who make six changes from the Newcastle defeat. United XI: De Gea; Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Buttner; Young, Giggs, Jones, Januzaj; Kagawa, Rooney

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th United need to win this game. Moyes needs to win this game... Another poor performance and we are in deep, deep trouble. United must win it to avoid the likes of Barcelona, both Madrid's teams and Bayern. Regardless what Moyes said that we still have a chance to win the PL - we've been out of that race since Moyes took over. Shakhtar Donetsk come to Old Trafford to win and I see an open game tonight and hopefully some goals. RVP won't start but he will come on in the 2nd half. I'm going for 3-1 or 4-2 for United. Also, I think there will be some goals in Bayern v Man City and Plzen v CSKA so I went for a treble: United v Shakhtar - over 3,5 goals @2/1 [PaddyPower] Bayern v Man City - over 3,5 goals @11/10 [PaddyPower] Plzen v CSKA - over 3,5 goals @2/1 [PaddyPower] Final odds: 18/1

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th De Gea; Rafael, Evans, Ferdinand, Büttner; Young, Jones, Giggs, Kagawa, Januzaj; Rooney. Subs: Lindegaard, Anderson, Nani, Cleverley, Valencia, Hernandez, Van Persie Looking like a 4-2-3-1 with Sir Ryan Giggs and Jonesy as the playmaker and sitting CM - good to see Adnan getting a bit of CL experience Shop window for Young .... and we may need a pen :D

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th That was a dire first half - Rio showing yet again he's not at this level anymore - Young should be in the bargain bin instead of the shop window :wall We look in trouble every time they run at the centre of our defence Get Nani on for that mug Young - lost count of the times I've shouted "You f*****g DONKEY" at the screen Supporting United has never been so stressful :( This is another accident waiting to happen

That was a dire first half - Rio showing yet again he's not at this level anymore - Young should be in the bargain bin instead of the shop window :wall We look in trouble every time they run at the centre of our defence Get Nani on for that mug Young - lost count of the times I've shouted "You f*****g DONKEY" at the screen Supporting United has never been so stressful :( This is another accident waiting to happen
Summer must be very busy time for Moyes...if he lasts this long... at least 5 players must go

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th Looks like RVP will be on soon - we need a spark Even Rooney has looked flat tonight compared to his usual level What the hell is Rio doing going up for corners? - it takes him six months to run back

Re: Manchester United v Shakhtar Donetsk > Tuesday December 10th Man U were lucky to still be in the match at half time but they did play better in the 2nd half although with Leverkusen scoring helped. It has already been mentioned but Ferdinhand ispast it and Young is even worse. Some of his corners -enough said

Man U were lucky to still be in the match at half time but they did play better in the 2nd half although with Leverkusen scoring helped. It has already been mentioned but Ferdinhand ispast it and Young is even worse. Some of his corners -enough said
Agree 100% I would call Young a turd but turds are useful (use your imagination :D) Better 2nd half - Jonesy United's best player even without the goal - protected the back four well and made some great tackles - the boy makes you believe in reincarnation - even looks a bit like Big Duncan Not sure if RVP coming on or Young going off lifted the team more - at least it's a platform to go on and get a few good results starting with Villa on Sunday :) Can't understand why Nani is not getting a sniff after signing a 5 year contract - I know he's inconsistent but he's a match winner on his day and playing Young in front of him is just baffling