** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Olympique Marseille v Borussia Dortmund > Wednesday December 11th

Aidymac

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row1] [TD=class: firstColumn]Olympique Marseille v Borussia Dortmund (19:45 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]7.5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]5.2[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.46[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]101.06 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Olympique Marseille v Borussia Dortmund > Wednesday December 11th Ilkay Gündogan, Mats Hummels, Neven Subotic and Marcel Schmelzer already on the list of absentees, BVB’s injury situation is getting worse and worse, yesterday Sven Bender and Nuri Sahin went off with potentially serious injuries. Klopp has said at this stage it's impossible to know what sort of side he would be able to put out. Unfortunately I already bet on Dortmund prior to yesterdays game in anticipation of another poor Marseille performance (which duly came) but the injury situation at Dortmund is now a significant concern. Reus did come back yesterday which is the biggest plus to take, as he is their best attacking player and he will start on Wednesday. It was another defensive error from one of the players filling in for a first choice defender which led to the winner yesterday, this is a must win game for them and I expect a much improved performance against what is a poor Marseille team who have lost all their games in the CL so far. Marseille have sacked their coach Elie Baup after the latest defeat with the sporting director taking temporary charge and that is another factor to add into the mix, I don't know enough about Marseille to say what the sacking of the coach will do for morale in the dressing room. They have a injury to key midfielder Valbuena who will miss the game. The fear here is that sacking the coach will galvanize the side, be interesting to read others views, I would certainly expect a decent rise in Dortmunds odds after the events of the last 24 hours, so if you are planning to bet on them I would wait a couple of days. Dortmund -1.0AH - 1.66 - pinnacle - 4 Points

Re: Olympique Marseille v Borussia Dortmund > Wednesday December 11th This is probably Dortmund's most important game of the year. It's do-or-die for them. Their entire season rests on this game. I can't imagine how much revenue they will lose out if they do not qualify and their ability to attract top players in January. Seeing that the league is looking out of reach now, Dortmund will definitely go all out for this game. Marseille literally has nothing to play for anymore except pride but I doubt Marseille will bother turning up because they play rivals Lyon away after this game and their league is all that matters to them now. If Dortmund failed to win, it probably means they can't finish. Sven Bender is definitely out for the match against Marseille which is a big blow but Nuri Sahin could be available. The good news is there are no long-term injuries to both of them. If Dortmund can win this game and qualify to the knock-out, they will have their full strength team back by next year and bar no injuries, they can go all the way. They brushed aside Napoli easily when that was their most crucial and toughest game of the season, if they failed to win, they would have been out and they delivered when it matters. I'm sure the players wouldn't want their effort to go to waste so I'm sure they can beat Marseille come Wednesday and clinich a place in the knock-out and who knows, if Napoli beat Arsenal, they might even qualify as group winners!

Re: Olympique Marseille v Borussia Dortmund > Wednesday December 11th

This is probably Dortmund's most important game of the year. It's do-or-die for them. Their entire season rests on this game. I can't imagine how much revenue they will lose out if they do not qualify and their ability to attract top players in January. Seeing that the league is looking out of reach now' date=' Dortmund will definitely go all out for this game. Marseille literally has nothing to play for anymore except pride but I doubt Marseille will bother turning up because they play rivals Lyon away after this game and their league is all that matters to them now. If Dortmund failed to win, it probably means they can't finish. Sven Bender is definitely out for the match against Marseille which is a big blow but Nuri Sahin could be available. The good news is there are no long-term injuries to both of them. If Dortmund can win this game and qualify to the knock-out, they will have their full strength team back by next year and bar no injuries, they can go all the way. They brushed aside Napoli easily when that was their most crucial and toughest game of the season, if they failed to win, they would have been out and they delivered when it matters. I'm sure the players wouldn't want their effort to go to waste so I'm sure they can beat Marseille come Wednesday and clinich a place in the knock-out and who knows, if Napoli beat Arsenal, they might even qualify as group winners![/quote'] Agree with you about this being Dortmund's biggest game of the season, they desperately need to win this and get through to the winter break with no further injuries and without losing any more points in the league. I have copied the below from the UEFA website just to clarify what each team needs to happen.

Group F SSC Napoli (9) v Arsenal FC (12) Olympique de Marseille (0) v Borussia Dortmund (9) • Arsenal will clinch qualification, and top spot, with a draw or a victory. • If Dortmund fail to win, Napoli will advance with a victory – in the event of a three-way head-to-head on 12 points, the two qualifiers will be decided by the precise scorelines between the three teams. • A draw is only enough for Napoli if Dortmund, who have a superior head-to-head, lose. If Napoli lose they are out. • Dortmund are through if they win. Should Dortmund draw, they will progress if Napoli do not win. Dortmund can only afford to lose if Napoli are also beaten. • Marseille will be fourth.
Basically it's all in Dortmund's hands now. As long as they beat Marseille, nothing else matters to them and I'm sure they will want to finish the job themselves rather than relying on others for a favor. However with that being said, I won't be surprised if Napoli draw or even lose to Arsenal. Arsenal is in phenomenal form right now, their team is clickling so well and they were on a 15-game unbeaten away run before their 0-1 loss to United which they were never going to beat at Old Trafford. So it's not all that bad for Dortmund if they drop points but I still think Dortmund will win.

Re: Olympique Marseille v Borussia Dortmund > Wednesday December 11th Agree with all above. The only consideration here is MOTIVATION. Marseille have lost their last 2 ligue matches 1-0 to the 2 teams above them Lille and Nantes. They already have issues scoring goals and Valbuena is their most important in attack. I wouldn't be surprised if they were ALL rested for Lyon as they were out of this competition a long time ago. Arsenal are away to Manchester City on their fight for the EPL at the weekend so I am ignoring the match in Napoli as anything can happen between a must-win Napoli hosting a superior Arsenal team who "don't need" to win. So the best that Dortmund can produce is far greater than the best Marseille can produce. I have a gut feeling the the "pride" performance from Marseille was witnessed at the San Paolo and Napoli still got them 3-2 in the end. So with and important game against Lyon after a couple of losses why would you risk fatigue and injury to your best players against a better team in a competition you have no chance of winning and that Dortmund are hell-bent on winning. The psychology is of the match is enough for me and the rest is details. - 1 AH has gone up to 1.77 at time of posting. Don't know if I should pull the trigger or wait... ps @ Pinnacle that is

Re: Olympique Marseille v Borussia Dortmund > Wednesday December 11th Bear in mind that Dortmund don't necessarily have to win - this only applies if Napoli win. What if Arsenal beat Napoli 2-0? Dortmund would be through even if they lose to Marseille. Dortmund are almost certainly a better side than Marseille, but at the latest odds (up to 8.0), I think the value is with Marseille. Marseille +1.5 is 1.76 with Ladbrokes.

Bear in mind that Dortmund don't necessarily have to win - this only applies if Napoli win. What if Arsenal beat Napoli 2-0? Dortmund would be through even if they lose to Marseille. Dortmund are almost certainly a better side than Marseille, but at the latest odds (up to 8.0), I think the value is with Marseille. Marseille +1.5 is 1.76 with Ladbrokes.
Well Arsenal only need to avoid defeat by 3 goals. Secondly they have an away trip to City to prioritise and lastly will Dortmund really play the match with the radio held close to their ears when they know their destiny is in their hands? Why take that risk? In any case I think it's best to wait for team news on this one as Marseille could put out a list of names never before seen and we don't know exactly who is in and out for Borussia so I'll wait it out and take my chances with the odds dropping.

Bear in mind that Dortmund don't necessarily have to win - this only applies if Napoli win. What if Arsenal beat Napoli 2-0? Dortmund would be through even if they lose to Marseille. Dortmund are almost certainly a better side than Marseille, but at the latest odds (up to 8.0), I think the value is with Marseille. Marseille +1.5 is 1.76 with Ladbrokes.
I will be careful about betting on Marseille +1.5 because they are clearly the weakest team in the group and they have literally nothing to play for right now except pride and I just can't see them getting anything out of this game because they are facing a highly-motivated Dortmund team who knows they must win. And like I've said earlier, Dortmund won't want to rely others for favor and Klopp will want his team to finish the job themselves. Can you imagine Dortmund leading by a goal and Napoli losing or drawing with Arsenal and Dortmund sitting back? It's way too risky because Dortmund knows if Napoli fight back to win the game and if they draw or even worse, lose, they are out. If you watched Dortmund's game against Napoli, you can see that even after leading 1-0 or 2-1, they still keep trying to score a second or third goal to kill the game off. Dortmund isn't like Man Utd who sit back on a lead. They will try to finish the game off and I just cannot see them resting on their laurels. My advice would to take Dortmund -1.0 but Marseille +1.5 is also a decent bet because they have not lost by more than 2 goals in all their matches at home but don't put too much on it.
Well Arsenal only need to avoid defeat by 3 goals. Secondly they have an away trip to City to prioritise and lastly will Dortmund really play the match with the radio held close to their ears when they know their destiny is in their hands? Why take that risk? In any case I think it's best to wait for team news on this one as Marseille could put out a list of names never before seen and we don't know exactly who is in and out for Borussia so I'll wait it out and take my chances with the odds dropping.
Arsenal is more than capable of beating Napoli at their home ground with their current form. It all depends on how Wenger prioritize like you said. I got a feeling he might put out a second-string team with their main players on the bench and try to send on their key players when they are a goal down or something but it's also kind of risky because when you're a goal down, Napoli might score a second and then it gets nervy. I'm also sure Wenger would want to top the group to avoid tough opponents in the knock-out so I think this will end up as a draw.

Re: Olympique Marseille v Borussia Dortmund > Wednesday December 11th I remember 2011/2012 season. When Marseille needed a win to go to the next round, they won at Dortmund. It was very strange game 2-0 for Dortmund, HT was 2-1 and two late goals for Marseille, 2-3 at the end. Without that win Marseille would have been in league europa. Payback time? Or Marseille got lucky in that game?

Re: Olympique Marseille v Borussia Dortmund > Wednesday December 11th i`ll simple go for double amount what i do for bets and take dortmund @ 1.44 with paddypower, 20 % of my betting found, that will be like do regular bet @ 1.88 . yes dortmund has pile of injuries, but rest of it still good enough and better. task is simple - win this one and you trough and make no mistake about it, pretty sure i can trust clopp on this one to set up his team exactly like that. i think whoever there will be in charge for marselle tonight will be cautious with putting everyone out or even try to inspire for big fight tonight...most likely to go very simple about this game.

Re: Olympique Marseille v Borussia Dortmund > Wednesday December 11th according to espn, hummels, subotic, gundogan, bender, sahin and schmelzer are out. quoting: "Our options have reduced further," said Klopp, who may have to turn to 19-year-old Koray Gunter and 18-year-old Marian Sarr to fill the gaps at the back. An alternative could be captain Sebastian Kehl starting at the heart of the defence. "You get creative in an emergency," said Klopp. "Things are not necessarily going that well for us." 1.4 for an away victory under these circumstances, knowing that Dortmund might qualify even with a loss or draw? cant see any value. GL anyway

I totally agree. Dortmund need a win probably (a draw might be enough) and with their injuries why risk further exertion pushing for a big win. Marseille's recent poor form has been overvalued in the market and Dortmund's injury crisis makes them a poor proposition IMO. Marseille + 1 is 2.35 (2.46 elsewhere) with bet365 and that looks like value to me. + 1.5 as well. I just can't see Dortmund running away with it. Unless someone says Marseille are picking a reserve / youth side.

I totally agree. Dortmund need a win probably (a draw might be enough) and with their injuries why risk further exertion pushing for a big win. Marseille's recent poor form has been overvalued in the market and Dortmund's injury crisis makes them a poor proposition IMO. Marseille + 1 is 2.35 (2.46 elsewhere) with bet365 and that looks like value to me. + 1.5 as well. I just can't see Dortmund running away with it. Unless someone says Marseille are picking a reserve / youth side.
Dortmund will certainly not playing for a draw.

Yeh. I agree too. I know that the French league is not that strong. apart from a couple of sides- but even so so Marseille have only twice this season been beaten by 2 goals or more. ( 22 games ) Also neither Napoli or Arsenal achieved this-this season. With the away sides injury concerns- I'd say this was a very fair bet, at least!

Yeh. I agree too. I know that the French league is not that strong. apart from a couple of sides- but even so so Marseille have only twice this season been beaten by 2 goals or more. ( 22 games ) Also neither Napoli or Arsenal achieved this-this season. With the away sides injury concerns- I'd say this was a very fair bet, at least!
1.8 Marseille +2 on the exchanges if anyone is interested BTW.

Re: Olympique Marseille v Borussia Dortmund > Wednesday December 11th situations like these worry me when I fancy backing the team in Dortmund's situation because if they go to halftime 0-0, and see arsenal leading at napoli, the urgency won't be there. at least the urgency you'd hope for when backing a favorite on the road. GL

Re: Olympique Marseille v Borussia Dortmund > Wednesday December 11th With a line up like this: 1 Roman Weidenfeller, 25 Sokratis Papastathopoulos, 37 Erik Durm, 19 Kevin Großkreutz, 24 Marian Sarr, 10 Henrikh Mkhitaryan, 16 Jakub Blaszczykowski, 18 Nuri Sahin, 11 Marco Reus, 5 Sebastian Kehl, 9 Robert Lewandowski Surely Dortmund have only one thing in mind, attack and WIN at all cost! Backed Dortmund @ 1.40 Betfair 5 pts...

With a line up like this: 1 Roman Weidenfeller, 25 Sokratis Papastathopoulos, 37 Erik Durm, 19 Kevin Großkreutz, 24 Marian Sarr, 10 Henrikh Mkhitaryan, 16 Jakub Blaszczykowski, 18 Nuri Sahin, 11 Marco Reus, 5 Sebastian Kehl, 9 Robert Lewandowski Surely Dortmund have only one thing in mind, attack and WIN at all cost! Backed Dortmund @ 1.40 Betfair 5 pts...
I'm surprised Sahin actually made it to the first team, I thought he is injured. This seems like a very attacking line-up and Dortmund should be able to finish the job. The only weak link is their CB Marian Sarr, 18 years old, his CL debut, hopefully he will be able to hold his nerves.

An exciting finish there. Dortmund won 2-1, and this bet also won :)

Ilkay Gündogan, Mats Hummels, Neven Subotic and Marcel Schmelzer already on the list of absentees, BVB’s injury situation is getting worse and worse, yesterday Sven Bender and Nuri Sahin went off with potentially serious injuries. Klopp has said at this stage it's impossible to know what sort of side he would be able to put out. Unfortunately I already bet on Dortmund prior to yesterdays game in anticipation of another poor Marseille performance (which duly came) but the injury situation at Dortmund is now a significant concern. Reus did come back yesterday which is the biggest plus to take, as he is their best attacking player and he will start on Wednesday. It was another defensive error from one of the players filling in for a first choice defender which led to the winner yesterday, this is a must win game for them and I expect a much improved performance against what is a poor Marseille team who have lost all their games in the CL so far. Marseille have sacked their coach Elie Baup after the latest defeat with the sporting director taking temporary charge and that is another factor to add into the mix, I don't know enough about Marseille to say what the sacking of the coach will do for morale in the dressing room. They have a injury to key midfielder Valbuena who will miss the game. The fear here is that sacking the coach will galvanize the side, be interesting to read others views, I would certainly expect a decent rise in Dortmunds odds after the events of the last 24 hours, so if you are planning to bet on them I would wait a couple of days. Dortmund -1.0AH - 1.66 - pinnacle - 4 Points
Don't know how the hell Dortmund didn't win this by at least 2, the second half was one of the most one-sided I have seen, hit the post, missed a one-on-one, Lewand somehow missed an open goal..I'm bitter and twisted for the second night on the trot.