** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Open Championship > July 17th - 20th

Aidymac

Re: Open Championship > July 17th - 20th

Some first round leader bets and three balls Jordan Spieth first round leader 40/1 paddy power Zach Johnson first round round leader 50/1 paddy power Adam Scott first round leader 25/1 paddy power Jim Furyk first round leader 50/1 paddy power Justin Rose first round leader 20/1 paddy power Danny Willett first round leader 80/1 paddy power Rickie Fowler first round leader 40/1 paddy power each of these players are very good ball strikers and you need this on this type of course where iron play is the key also accuracy of the tee is an advantage as well and also these players are in form and with major pedigree so they know how to play well in a major championship David Hearn to win his three ball against Faldo and Hamilton 8/11 paddy power his opponents are not in form and have done anything significant this season so should win this three ball Brandt Snedeker to his three ball aganist De Laet and Pan evens paddy power well he is a player who performs well in majors while his opponents are really inexperienced at this level so he has a great chance to win this one
Scott got me place money and Hearn won his three ball

Top American preview: 1pt ew R.Fowler Top American 16/1 Coral (1/4 1-4) Rickie Fowler is another American who has shown form in this tournament in the recent past and given how well he went in the US Open last month and indeed the Scottish Open last week he could be the one to follow from America this week. Fowler has all the shots in the book and the imagination required to play links golf well and on and around the greens he is very good so at 16/1 he looks a good punt to top the American lists to me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-open-betting-rickie-fowler-can-lead-home-the-americans-at-hoylake
Hi Kev i think this is a great bet but i think Furyk is playing well enough to also be top american

Re: Open Championship > July 17th - 20th Second day three balls and End of round leader Jim Furyk to beat Watson and Clarke 8/11 paddy power i think Furyk will win this one as the other two are not as good as they was and also Furyk had a top ten finish the last time it was played at this course so he likes playing here Robert Karlsson to beat Duval and Howell 8/11 paddy power ive been impressed with hiim lately and he is capable of beating a out of sorts Duval and Howell who are not playing out of this world Shane Lowry to beat Fisher and Hadley 4/5 paddy power the last few weeks he has been in top form and he is capable of actually winning the tournament he is very good on links courses and his opponents have not got the form to beat him in this three ball Adam Scott end of round leader 15 /2 paddy power he does look good to win this major i feel he will be in contention by sunday fnd if Mcilroy does not play well in the next round then Scott could captalise

Tiger Woods to miss the cut 11/5 paddy power well he will be lucky to actually have a decent round after months out of the game and he only coming back three weeks ago and to come back and perform on a links course is going to be tough especially without any preparation
Looks like he saved it with a birdie in the last hole. Unlucky for the bet though...never expect him to play badly, esp with his good performance in Day 1.

Some open championship bets Rory Mcilroy to miss the cut 3/1 paddy power Luke Donald to miss the cut 2/1 paddy power Lee Westwood to miss the cut 15/8 paddy power Bubba Watson to miss the cut 15/8 paddy power Padraig Harrington to miss the cut 11/8 paddy power im looking at these three players that have a great chance of missing the cut like mcilroy who had an impressive opening round at the scottish open but collapsed in the second round and those signs show that if he does again at Hoylake on a tougher course then he will miss the cut also donald has not had a great season and he struggles on links courses and Westwood has said that he is not in the best of form and to play on links course you need to be in some sort of form Victor Dubuisson first round leader 80/1 paddy power i like the look of this player and he is playing well also links courses may not be his liking but he is in form and the odds are great
Well i got three bets right with Westwood Watson Harrington missing the cut and unlucky with the Donald bet

Re: Open Championship > July 17th - 20th Betting without McIiroy Rickie Fowler to win 9/1 paddy power i like look of him in this tournament as he is been very consistant throughout the rounds and should thereabouts by the final round he has improved as a player this season and he is really play well in the majors which he was not doing in the past

Re: Open Championship > July 17th - 20th McIlroy Evens at Betfred but odds on elsewhere! Not sure what the weather is going to do today but he's been lucky so far with his draw. Hope it gets a bit closer to be honest so we have an exciting Sunday and will be cheering for Garcia. Garcia is 6/1 without McIlroy with Stan James and that looks worth a punt to keep me interested. Not given up on Scott to get inside the top 6 yet either. Well done to the McIlroy loyal followers so far, hold your breath:ok

The biggest problem with The Open is there are so many players at absolutely huge prices and it can be very easy to get sucked into backing too many of them. I've had a look at this market and I found it incredibly difficult to narrow it down to around 5 or 6 selections. To help me, I've considered the below criteria: - Must have at least made one cut in either The Masters or the U.S Open this year. This might not be an essential requirement for some people, but I would prefer my selections to have at least some form in one of the Majors leading up to the Open. I like to look at the players that did well in the U.S Open in particular as that tournament only took place about 5 weeks ago and anyone that shaped up nicely there will most likely still be on their game this week. - How important is experience of links courses and especially Open Championships? For me this is one of the biggest questions going into this week because if you believe that experience is not necessarily key to success, then there are some players who have performed very well this year, especially from the PGA tour that are a huge price and may become quite an attractive back to lay selection. If you look at the previous winners of The Open, there is some contradiction on the importance of links form and experience. For example, there are many repeat winners such as Harrington and Els, but there are also some winners that had next to no form on this type of course or at this level, but they ultimately went on to win. Oosthuizen was not considered as even a likely outsider when he won it in 2010 with Open Championship form that read cut in 2004, cut in 2006 and cut in 2009. Todd Hamilton had made one Open Championship cut in three previous attempts before his win in 2004, and Ben Curtis was the biggest shock winner of arguably any major when he won at odds of 1000/1 at his first attempt playing in the Open in 2003. Experience may be getting overstated this year, and another big priced outsider could have the potential to surprise again this year. - I'm not seeing the value in backing a short priced player here, so I'm staying clear of any player below 50/1. I'm backing to lay this year and I would have to invest heavily in a player below 50/1 to see a decent return with a trade. Of the players around this price, Dustin Johnson, Rickie Fowler and Matt Kuchar appealed the most but I can't justify backing them. If I was to back one of them, they would have to be my sole pick and I would prefer to have my money spread across more than one or two selections. Rickie Fowler at around 80/1 would have been very interesting but that price has well gone. So, here are my picks based on my own criteria above: Keegan Bradley @ 120 on Betfair I missed the 140-150 prices that were available last week for Bradley and I'm hoping he drifts again so that I can back him at a slightly higher price. For now, I've taken a small amount at 120. He's had a very up and down season so far, but he has very obvious claims for this one and I feel he's maybe being overlooked. The joint 4th finish at Greenbrier was encouraging, but it was his top 5 finish at the U.S Open this year that convinces me he can compete at this major. I'm interested in backing him for the final major of the year as well especially considering his excellent record in that tournament but his form at Open Championships is also very good. He's only played twice but finished 34th in 2012 and 15th in 2013. Kevin Na @ 210 on Betfair This is the first of my picks that has very little form at previous Opens, but you'll be hard pressed to find a more consistent player on the PGA Tour and at prices above 200/1, I'll back him for small stakes. I've always doubted whether or not he can compete at Majors despite his consistency on tour, but his 12th place finish at Pinehurst was encouraging and his top 20 finish last week shows he's still in great form heading into this major. Bill Haas @ 240 on Betfair Fairly similar reasons to Na. The price is big for a player of his consistency and recent track record at majors. He made the cut at both the U.S Open and The Masters this year, he's had one missed cut all season and that was the week after The Masters, so it's understandable. Chris Kirk @ 420 on Betfair I'm very much looking for a "Ben Curtis" moment with this pick, but when you consider his two finishes at this year's major's, it's difficult to ignore such a huge price. Joint 20th at the Masters and 28th at the U.S Open. He's never played at the Open Championship before so it will be going into the land of the unknown but he's had a stellar season so far and if he can replicate his major form of this year, I might get a trade. Stewart Cink @ 520 on Betfair This is my final pick and the one at longest odds but it's not necessarily the most speculative. Odds above 500/1 seem like good value on a previous winner of the event especially when you consider that he's not entirely without form. He's now made 11 consecutive cuts on the PGA Tour including at both The Masters and the U.S Open. He went off at 330 on the exchange the year he won The Open. He's now at odds of 520. I'll take a punt and hope to get a small profit from it. All of the above are at big odds, but I backed Dustin Johnson and Rickie Fowler for the U.S Open and despite them playing very well, they never got low enough to give me a trade. It's made me wary of betting on guys at shorter prices. Someone like Mickelson or Rose may go on to win this week, but I think there may be more value in looking at some of the bigger prices and looking for a trade on Betfair. Finally, the weather is something that needs to be mentioned when it comes to links golf. I've stopped trying to base my picks on this point though because the forecasts can often be wrong and it's one of those things which just have to be accepted when it comes to The Open. Thunderstorms are due at the weekend, but Thursday looks to be set up pretty even for all of the players. Good luck with your picks folks!
I think I can pretty much wrap this one up now because none of them have any chance of winning. All 5 made the cut but I didn't manage to get a trade on any of them. I'll be looking to back Bradley, Na, Haas and Kirk for the USPGA in August. I've been impressed with all four this season. As for tomorrow, it looks very likely McIlroy will win from this position. There's been plenty of last day drama at The Open in previous years, but at 1.2, McIlroy should finish the job.

Re: Open Championship > July 17th - 20th Edoardo Molinari top 5 finish 5/1 @Spreadex Sportbook Eduardo is currently 1 shot behind 5th place Victor Dubuisson and Dustin Johnson is only 2 shots ahead, so he has a chance for a top 5 finish. He has shot 68 73 68 so is capable of a low round. In round 1 and 3 he birdied holes 1 and 2, so getting on him now will be wise.

A player that might not go off this price if he recaptures his form is Rory McIlroy and there have been signs that he is finding his feet again. He finished in a tie for 6th in the HSBC Champions with a score of -15 this month and followed that up with a tie for 5th in Dubai last week again with a score of -15.. It has been a very difficult year or so for Rory but talent such of his does not go away overnight and I am expecting a much improved 2014 out of him. Come July I think we will see a much different McIlroy, more like the one we saw 2 years ago where he could not stop winning. He finished 3rd in the British Open a few years back but in general finds playing on links tough enough but as he gets older he should start playing cuter golf.. At 25/1 I think he is worth an each-way bet for 2014. Rory McIlroy - 5 Points each-way @ 25/1 Bet Victor
:beer

Betting without McIiroy Rickie Fowler to win 9/1 paddy power i like look of him in this tournament as he is been very consistant throughout the rounds and should thereabouts by the final round he has improved as a player this season and he is really play well in the majors which he was not doing in the past
He has made me win some more money

Re: Open Championship > July 17th - 20th Had a really good run with my picks this year. Shane Lowry had a cracking open finished just out of the places for me T9 had a really bad Friday could have been higher up but one to keep an eye on at British & Irish courses in particular. Martin Kaymer couldn't produce anything like his last major and faded very tamely. Lee Westwood looks gone at game at the moe going to stop short of saying ill not back him again because prices like the current 66//1 for USPGA is tempting to me . Rikie Fowler is the nearly man in the majors this year but he's looking a major winner in the near future has got me plenty of place money this year and really happy to have him backed at 66's for the last major. last but most certainly not least Rory McIlroy what can i say sauntered round the course yesterday keeping one eye on the scoreboard played it rather than his natural game just to make sure of the win and was an easy two stroke winner if there is such a thing and became only the third player to win three majors at 25 loads more await him esp if turn up in the same sort of mind set as he did here was awesome the first three days he still not near his peak yet imo. Roll on the next major......