** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Ashes - Australia vs England

kevshat

England's tour of Australia begins on Wednesday UK time and with the Ashes not far away now it is a good time to open the thread for news, views and bets ahead of the series. Hopefully this one will be another belting series :hope Schedule: [TABLE=width: 630]

[TR=class: FixOtr] [TD=width: 25%]Thu Oct 31 - Sat Nov 2 02:30 GMT | 10:30 local 02:30 GMT [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] Western Australia Chairman's XI v England XI Western Australia Cricket Association Ground, Perth [/TD] [TD=width: 20%] 28.png 14 - 26° C ci_weather_rightarrow.gif [/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOtr] [TD=width: 25%] Wed Nov 6 - Sat Nov 9 23:30 GMT (prev day) | 10:30 local 23:30 GMT -1d [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] Australia A v England XI Bellerive Oval, Hobart [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOtr] [TD=width: 25%] Wed Nov 13 - Sat Nov 16 23:30 GMT (prev day) | 10:30 local 23:30 GMT -1d [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] New South Wales XI v England XI Sydney Cricket Ground [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%] Thu Nov 21 - Mon Nov 25 00:00 GMT | 10:00 local 00:00 GMT [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 1st Test - Australia v England Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOtr] [TD=width: 25%] Fri Nov 29 - Sat Nov 30 23:30 GMT (prev day) | 09:00 local 23:30 GMT -1d [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] Cricket Australia Chairman's XI v England XI Traegar Park, Alice Springs [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%] Thu Dec 5 - Mon Dec 9 00:00 GMT | 10:30 local 00:00 GMT [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 2nd Test - Australia v England Adelaide Oval [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%] Fri Dec 13 - Tue Dec 17 02:30 GMT | 10:30 local 02:30 GMT [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 3rd Test - Australia v England Western Australia Cricket Association Ground, Perth [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%] Thu Dec 26 - Mon Dec 30 23:30 GMT (prev day) | 10:30 local 23:30 GMT -1d [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 4th Test - Australia v England Melbourne Cricket Ground [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%] Fri Jan 3 - Tue Jan 7 23:30 GMT (prev day) | 10:30 local 23:30 GMT -1d [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 5th Test - Australia v England Sydney Cricket Ground [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Warm up match preview: 2pts K.Pietersen Top England 1st Inns Batsman (Aus A vs Eng) 9/2 Paddy Power We saw in England’s warm up game against Essex prior to the Ashes series in the summer just gone that anything can happen over the four days and things will be concocted to get England the best preparation so we can’t bet on the result of the match but there is some value in the England first innings top batsman market. Having scored centuries in the first game Jonathan Trott and Ian Bell could step aside for this match to give those in need of runs some time in the middle. One of those is Kevin Pietersen. He has a decent record in Australia and on a Hobart wicket which has no demons he could be value to fill his boots at 9/2. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-a-vs-england-betting-kevin-pietersen-could-be-value-to-top-score-in-the-first-innings-in-hobart

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Long time reader here. Can't wait for the Ashes to start and have had a good look at the player series markets. One that catches my eye is Joe Root. He is a back foot player who could be well suited by the bouncier Australian pitches whilst his move back to batting at number 6 takes him away from the pressure of opening against the new ball. He is a talented player who is now established in the team and I will be buying his runs at 320 for the series with Sporting Index

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Surprised there isn't much activity in here, expected quite a lot of ante-post reading to have to catch up on just a couple of days before the series starts! I'll perhaps come back with some analysis for some of mine later, but got an early bet for the first test. 3pts - Aus v Eng 1st Test Result - DRAW @ 11/5 (Boyles, Stan James) Nothing too adventurous, but expect there to be a tight, perhaps tentative start from both sides at the Gabba. Historically its not England's favourite hunting ground (P 19, Won 4 Lost 10, no win here for us since 1986). The Aussies meanwhile rather enjoy it here unsurprisingly (P 55, Won 33, Lost 8, Tied 1). England's 1st innings there in 2010 of 260ao cost us a chance of winning that test, but the second innings from us of 517/1 dec showed what was capable. Strikes me as a place that, if needed, we could bat long and for the draw (likewise the same for the Aussies). It's not notoriously a spinner's wicket, which could lessen Swann's impact, and put an awful lot of pressure on Anderson and Broad, with the 3rd seamer (whoever it may be) also not looking confident at the moment. Considering the barrage Broad will get, it might be a test he ends up feeling around in, just setting himself up the series and getting used to the unprecedented abuse he will get, leaving Anderson with an awful lot to do. The Aussies (for all their bluster) are still also having their own issues to deal with (how fit are Watson & Clarke, will Bailey translate his form to tests, will Smith keep up his summer form, when will Harris' legs fall off, which Mitchell Johnson will show up) so it seems set that the first game may well be a game of England just sizing up the slightly different Aussie side from which they faced this summer, and make sure they set the series up by not losing at a place that is historically difficult for touring sides to win. With England's own selection issues (Prior, 3rd seamer) we don't scream out as a side who are fully primed ready to hit the Aussies, so as is our way under Flower and Cook, I think it will be sensible, pragmatic cricket to start up. Add this to the fact CA will be preparing pitches to last 5-days, the draw seems a sensible play.

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Ante-Post: 4pts - Aus vs Eng Correct Series Score - 2-1 England @ 8/1 (Stan James, Laddies) Fancying quite a close affair this winter. As above, I feel the first test will be a draw, and England's tentative record at Adaleide makes me think a draw there could be on the cards too (especially with the drop-in pitches they now have there suggesting runs, runs, runs are the order of the day). Our dismal record at the Gabba (only 1 win from 12 visits) is a place I expect us to be beaten (especially if Mitchell Johnson shows any sort of form in tests 1 and 2, and Harris is still fit). Would leave us having to go to Sydney and Melbourne needing at least a win to retain, but this is where I think we can strike. We have won 20 out of 54 visits to the MCG and 22 out of 54 to the SCG, so we have slightly better strike rates here. With the Aussies in a predicted 1-0 lead by myself, this is where the pressure on an Aussie team not used to winning could start to show. England have a team of hardened battlers who can eke out results when needed. They will say that there is stacks of improvement to be had from the summer, and they will need to get the finger out with the bat. But people like Trott, Cook and KP have happy memories of batting in Aus, Bell is in cracking shape in 2013, and Root and Carberry should enjoy the conditions too. I'd expect these to put some considerable pressure on the Aussies in the last two tests if needed, and not go down without a fight. I was considering 1-1 as the correct score and at 24/1 I may have a little cover bet, but I think this could be the last Ashes hurrah of an aging England side who will be able to pitch their winning, dogged mentality, up against an Aussie side not used to the prospect of winning and leading, which could play an awful lot come the pressure cooker of the SCG 5th test.

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Very surprised with the 1st test odds. I'd have bitten your arm off for these odds a month ago. Sometimes I get put off a price when it's too good as I start doubting it, however, not in this instance. I don't read too much into the English poor preparation and how and where have the aussies improved since the summer? England outplayed the aussies in the summer and I fully expect them to do so again. My bet for the first test is England's first innings supremacy at 10 on the spreads. The batsmen appear in fine fettle and there is the possibility of an aussie collapse as I believe them to be flaky.

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Welcome aboard Matt :ok. LF I'd imagine the lack of movement in here would be down to the relatively low key build up to this series in comparison to others down the years. Series preview: 4pts England to win The Ashes 6/5 Coral England won the reverse series earlier in the year on wickets which didn’t suit their batsmen much. The wickets here will and we can expect plenty of runs from the likes of Alastair Cook and Jonathan Trott in this series. They have a varied bowling attack for all conditions too. Australia still don’t appear settled and while their batsmen will be more at home in these conditions as a unit they don’t stand up to England’s. With all the injuries they have with their bowlers I think this will be a task too much for them again. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-ashes-betting-england-can-dominate-on-australian-shores-once-again

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Top Australia Series Batsman preview: 2pts ew S.Smith Top Australia Series Batsman 9/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1-3) Steve Smith has been largely ridiculed in the early part of his international career but in the last 12 months he has really knuckled down and is now a permanent fixture in this Australia side. He hit his first Test century in the series in England and was a danger with the bat throughout. He was also someone who stood up and was counted the last time England were in Australia and at 9/1 he could just have the confidence and the quality to land an each way bet in this market. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-ashes-betting-steve-smith-can-surprise-with-the-bat-in-the-ashes-series

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Top England Series Batsman preview: 3pts I.Bell Top England Series Batsman 9/2 Betfred It is hard to ignore Ian Bell here though and I’m not stupid enough to even try. He was head and shoulders the best batsman in a tough series for the willow wielders in England earlier in the year and has developed himself into one of the best batsmen in the world. No longer can the accusation that he doesn’t score tough runs be thrown at him and he appears to be full of confidence. Bell has already scored a ton on this tour and he looks a good bet at 9/2 to lead the England run charts once again. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-ashes-betting-ian-bell-can-continue-where-he-left-off-in-england-

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Top Australia Series Bowler preview: 3pts R.Harris Top Australia Series Bowler 5/2 Ladbrokes Although it can never be certain that Ryan Harris’ body will stand up for a whole series I still think he’s the leading contender here. He only played four of the five Tests in England in the summer but still took the most wickets for Australia and for me technically he’s clearly their best bowler. Although it is a gamble that he won’t break down with injury I believe it is a gamble which is well worth taking as if he avoids injury he should surely take the most wickets. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-ashes-betting-ryan-harris-looks-the-standout-performer-in-the-australian-bowling-attack

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Top England series bowler preview: 2pts S.Broad Top England Series Bowler 11/4 Coral In the absence of clarity on the third seamer for the opening stages of the series I will take Stuart Broad here. Broad has warmed up for the series well with six wickets in the latest warm up match and these conditions should suit him. He will offer plenty of pace but he can exploit the bounce too so he’ll be tough to face. I’d marginally prefer him to Anderson so at 11/4 the Nottinghamshire man is the call here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-ashes-betting-stuart-broad-could-be-the-one-to-surprise-the-australian-batsmen

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England 1st Test preview: 4pts P.Siddle's Performance - Over 97.5pts 5/6 Paddy Power As with all Ashes matches there are tons of markets about for this first one but one of them which appeals most to me is Peter Siddle’s performance. The line is at 97.5 which looks a little low to me. Siddle has a knack of starting Ashes series well. He took a hat trick here three years ago while he bagged a five wicket haul in the first innings at Trent Bridge in the opening test of the summer just gone. He is a wicket taker who can bat a bit so there is enough to suggest a combination of bat and ball will see him up to at least 98pts. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-england-1st-test-betting-peter-siddle-can-continue-his-good-series-starts-at-the-gabba

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Just had a look at the player performance market, a couple stand out to me as small bets: 2pts - J. Root's Performance - Over 70.5pts @ 5/6 (Paddy Power) I like this bet for a few reasons. Root will more than likely be back down at 6, and will be hoping to get in to bat when the bowlers are more tired, or the ball is old and not misbehaving. There is the risk of having to see the 2nd (or 3rd...) new ball off though. However, Root offsets this with his dynamism in the field, where he is always carrying potential for catches due to his athleticism in the field and Cook getting him in catching positions. Also, Root may have to turn his arm over at some point, and as he proved in the summer, he has a knack of picking up the odd wicket. I see Root as a value three-pronged play to try and get 71 points or more. 1pt - B. Haddin's Performance - Over 87.5pts @ 5/6 (Bet365) See a touch of value here too. Paddy's have the line at 103.5. At 10pts a catch, you'd be hoping Haddin can snare at least 40 or 50 points here. He's no mug with the bat, and I'd be fancying him to conjure up at least 40 runs between the innings. If he gets in during a lull in bowling activity, he is the sort of batsman to wrack up quick runs.

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Peter Siddle top wicket taker in first innings 3/1 skybet and to get five wickets in the first innings 8/1 skybet he has great record at the gabba and he is always up for these big games especially the first test of an ashes contest also with harris breaking down johnson not bowling well again then siddle is the best Ian Bell top runscorer in first innings 5/1 skybet First ball to be a wide 25/1 skybet Mitchell Johnson to ball a wide in his first over 4/1 skybet the last series he was leading runscorer and there is no reason why he cant do it again he seems to enjoy playing against the australian bowlers and on wicket where there is little movement also the first ball of the ashes is crucial and past series sometimes the first ball goes for wide so at these odds it seems a good bet

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Where is everybody? It's a blinkin Ashes series! Kevshat, nice tips, as always. (One must be careful when saying 'nice tips'). Agree on all, apart from the Steve Smith one. Rolf Harris has a better chance than Steve Smith! Clarke has to be nailed on to be top Aussie run scorer, the guy is head and shoulders above the rest, but at 9/4 injury could intervene. Draw for the first test looks the result for me with runs in the offing and potentially bad weather. Although I am concerned about England not coming out of the blocks (which has happened to England recently). Cooky to top score for England in the series. His record is incredible but with the odds so skinny will probably give this one a miss. Bell looks the best value at 9/2. Can't fault Kevshat on Broad for the England top wicket taker. He'll play all five, the crowd will get stuck into him, and you know he'll have two or three big spells in this series to get his wicket tally up. So let's get this started gentlemen! The one thing I can predict with some certainty and that is I'll be tired in the morning!!

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England

Clarke has to be nailed on to be top Aussie run scorer' date=' the guy is head and shoulders above the rest,[/quote'] You'd think so but he played all 5 tests over here in the summer and wasn't their top scorer. As you say he could get injured at any time so it is a market to look for the value. Smith is it in my opinion.

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England You are right Kev, as always! LBW machine Watson outscored him. Amazed at that, but then it's funny how stats don't lie. Still think Clarke will get ove the line. Had 4 line accumulator on Cooky and Clarke, and Harris and Broad to top the respective batting and bowling charts. £3.50 returns £500 on skybet. Let's see how this goes! P.s Warner is smashing it!

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England What are England playing at? I don't really understand cricket, so can I get some analysis please. Cook and Carberry looked very comfortable, so where did Cook and England throw it away? I'm looking like losing an awful lot of money here, did not see this coming at all.

What are England playing at? I don't really understand cricket, so can I get some analysis please. Cook and Carberry looked very comfortable, so where did Cook and England throw it away? I'm looking like losing an awful lot of money here, did not see this coming at all.
Then why bet on something you dont understand? They have collapsed, bottom line they are struggling big time now and a draw is the best we can hope for, cannot see us being set a target below 400 and tou dont chase those often. Only hope is the tail wags much along the lines of their later order with haddin and johnson Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Then why bet on something you dont understand? They have collapsed, bottom line they are struggling big time now and a draw is the best we can hope for, cannot see us being set a target below 400 and tou dont chase those often. Only hope is the tail wags much along the lines of their later order with haddin and johnson Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
I'm trying to make money whether that be through using my own expertise or other people's. I went big on England or draw due to what I was hearing from people about it being an easy pitch to bat on. How did they go from Cook and Carberry ticking along nicely to not being able to score at all to then throwing their wickets away for fun? What changed? Also, should I get on Australia now to recoup as much of my losses as possible or is there still a chance for England or the draw?

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Sorry for the long reply: It has been an easy pitch to bat on, but that doesn't mean runs are guaranteed. The pressure of a first Ashes match, tensions carrying over from the summer, an iffy prep by way of warm-up games either rained off or against crap opposition, all variables that have played out here. The wickets weren't due to the pitch, but either shocking shot selection, or wilting in the face of intimidatory bowling (90+mph short balls). These things happen in cricket. England have not batted well as a team for a long time now. The tricky betting issue is, the ability is there, its just for whatever reason lots of experienced batsmen are going through ruts at the same time (Cook, Trott, Prior). To try and answer your question, England lost wickets in a quick heap because they, in an effort to regroup after losing wickets of Cook, Trott and Pietersen, stopped looking to score runs. Some pundits have suggested this is possibly down to Carberry's lack of experience at test level, just letting the spin bowler Lyon bowl at him. This then allows bowlers to develop rhythm, confidence and pressure. Once England lost Bell cheaply, the Aussie's were fired up, and they had Johnson bowling very aggressive, attacking short bowling. England have not faced this for a long time, the pitches in Aus are faster and bouncier than England. Subsequently, they wilted under the combination of Lyon building pressure, Johnson bowling rapid aggressive bouncers, and the Aussie crowd as fervent as heard for a long time. Finally, I wouldn't say it is fair asking people how you should bet now to recoup losses. People post on here with their tips and reasonings in good faith, but nobody has professed to tip up sure things, and to go big on any sport you don't profess to have a knowledge of is risky as you have limited knowledge how to react in-play if needed. Yesterday was a freak day really, its rare in top level test cricket for collapses of that magnitude to happen, but if there is one environment they can proffer in, its the first day of an Ashes series when tensions, nerves and adrenaline are high.

Sorry for the long reply: It has been an easy pitch to bat on, but that doesn't mean runs are guaranteed. The pressure of a first Ashes match, tensions carrying over from the summer, an iffy prep by way of warm-up games either rained off or against crap opposition, all variables that have played out here. The wickets weren't due to the pitch, but either shocking shot selection, or wilting in the face of intimidatory bowling (90+mph short balls). These things happen in cricket. England have not batted well as a team for a long time now. The tricky betting issue is, the ability is there, its just for whatever reason lots of experienced batsmen are going through ruts at the same time (Cook, Trott, Prior). To try and answer your question, England lost wickets in a quick heap because they, in an effort to regroup after losing wickets of Cook, Trott and Pietersen, stopped looking to score runs. Some pundits have suggested this is possibly down to Carberry's lack of experience at test level, just letting the spin bowler Lyon bowl at him. This then allows bowlers to develop rhythm, confidence and pressure. Once England lost Bell cheaply, the Aussie's were fired up, and they had Johnson bowling very aggressive, attacking short bowling. England have not faced this for a long time, the pitches in Aus are faster and bouncier than England. Subsequently, they wilted under the combination of Lyon building pressure, Johnson bowling rapid aggressive bouncers, and the Aussie crowd as fervent as heard for a long time. Finally, I wouldn't say it is fair asking people how you should bet now to recoup losses. People post on here with their tips and reasonings in good faith, but nobody has professed to tip up sure things, and to go big on any sport you don't profess to have a knowledge of is risky as you have limited knowledge how to react in-play if needed. Yesterday was a freak day really, its rare in top level test cricket for collapses of that magnitude to happen, but if there is one environment they can proffer in, its the first day of an Ashes series when tensions, nerves and adrenaline are high.
Thanks. I'm thinking the 1/6 on Australia to win the match is very short and it's putting me off betting on it. I'm sure England can bat out for the draw from here, why are the odds for the Australian win so short?

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England England's batting display was so insipid it would suggest they would struggle to bat out the 2 days needed to draw the match, hence the short Australia price. Australia only need another 150 to be putting it beyond reach of England chasing a total down (it would be hard to chase down 375+ in any 4th innings in cricket). So Australia are so short because they are going to have probably 2 and a bit days to take 10 wickets, against an England wildly out of batting form. That's not to say England can't bat out, but just a bit of explanation for you.

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Ok, another 'I don't understand cricket' question. I get why players would want to hit the ball in the air and look for boundaries during T20 and one-day matches, where they have to find the balance between scoring and preserving their wicket. However, why were England's players doing this in the second innings of this test match when their ONLY objective should have been to preserve their wickets? Fair enough if you get bowled or out LBW but why hit the ball in the air and give the opposition a chance to catch it when there is no possible gain from this? Am I missing something here? (Kevin Pietersen being the most obvious example but several others as well.)

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England I'm not sure what your question is here. I think are you asking why were England players out caught in the 2nd innings when they should have been trying to just stay in? If so, some players are just naturally attacking, even in the test arena (such as Pietersen, Prior) and their best form of defence is attack. If they try and just grind out, they succumb to pressure and get out, its like a release valve. Other's mis-time shots and hence shots become airborne instead of scooting along the floor. Also, there was little chance England could just defend, you have to still try and attack in some way even in those situations. I mean this in the sincerest way mate, but I'd consider if betting significant sums on cricket with such a lack of knowledge of the game is such a good idea at the moment. Especially in such a tight and volatile series as this.

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England 2nd Test preview: 5pts B.Haddin to beat M.Prior (1st Inns Only) 4/5 Stan James I think the draw is the likeliest outcome in this match but I’m not a massive fan of backing draws in Test matches so the best bet for me looks to be Brad Haddin in his match bet with Matt Prior in the first innings. Haddin looked in excellent form in Brisbane making 94 and 53 in a dominant Australia performance and we should expect more of the same from him here. Haddin averages 122 on this ground and has his career best score so he should go well. Matt Prior looks woefully out of form and having made two single figure scores in Brisbane and his side bang under pressure here he may well struggle again so the 4/5 on Haddin outscoring his opposite number looks a good bet to me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-england-2nd-test-betting-brad-haddin-can-see-off-his-opposite-number-in-adelaide

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Cracking bet that Kev, I couldn't find it earlier though :( Anyway, here are my early doings: 4pts - Aus v Eng 2nd Test - Draw @ 6/4 (Bet365) I talked a bit about the nature of the Adaleide ground in my ante-post bet, but to summarise again: should be one of the slower, batter-friendly pitches in the series. England are scorched, and will either show a statement of intent in keeping with their spirit over the past few years, or fold again. I'm going to back them to get a score on. The problem will be, I fully expect the Aussies too as well! Might have a bit more in-play, but not a great deal stood out as value for me. We perhaps need to see what England turns up and how they react before we can work out how to punt more for the rest of the series, and also to see if Australia can back up their first performance. A mainly watching brief at the moment I'd say.

Cracking bet that Kev, I couldn't find it earlier though :( Anyway, here are my early doings: 4pts - Aus v Eng 2nd Test - Draw @ 6/4 (Bet365) I talked a bit about the nature of the Adaleide ground in my ante-post bet, but to summarise again: should be one of the slower, batter-friendly pitches in the series. England are scorched, and will either show a statement of intent in keeping with their spirit over the past few years, or fold again. I'm going to back them to get a score on. The problem will be, I fully expect the Aussies too as well! Might have a bit more in-play, but not a great deal stood out as value for me. We perhaps need to see what England turns up and how they react before we can work out how to punt more for the rest of the series, and also to see if Australia can back up their first performance. A mainly watching brief at the moment I'd say.
I just took the draw @ $2.20.... Looks like a great pick! thanks

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England I'm beginning to get deja vu here. I don't know what's changed in the few months since the last Ashes series, but if England can't even bat out the 3 days (2 innings) for a draw then something is seriously wrong here. The draw is out to 19/10 as I write this and surely that is still a cracking bet.