** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Real Sociedad v Manchester United > Tuesday November 5th

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn]Real Sociedad v Manchester United (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]13/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]12/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]5/4[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]101.44 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Real Sociedad v Manchester United > Tuesday November 5th

I mean backing them like 1X or DNB' date=' or something on the Asian Handicap market, something that will cover eventual draw.[/quote'] Was thinking about the same, but I can't see United losing here. Sociedad is not a the of team that can take all 3 points from the Red Devils.

Re: Real Sociedad v Manchester United > Tuesday November 5th I think man utd can go there and win. they are coming back into some form now and with players they have and knowing what to expect they will be ready for this one unlike the first leg. they must win this game also knowing the leverkusen and shaktar are breathing down their necks in the group. if they drop points it could mean failure to qualify from the group.

I think man utd can go there and win. they are coming back into some form now and with players they have and knowing what to expect they will be ready for this one unlike the first leg. they must win this game also knowing the leverkusen and shaktar are breathing down their necks in the group. if they drop points it could mean failure to qualify from the group.
I do agree here. United are picking their form and Moyes still has a lot to prove...

Re: Real Sociedad v Manchester United > Tuesday November 5th 4pts Under 2.5 goals 5/6 Unibet This isn’t an easy match to predict but the first meeting between the two was tight and even though they are both in good form I think this could be another tight match where the two cancel each other out again. A point isn’t a bad result for United. Sociedad will want to win but Moyes can set his side up to be difficult to beat so under 2.5 goals looks the way to go to me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/real-sociedad-vs-man-utd-betting-another-low-scoring-game-likely-between-these-two

Re: Real Sociedad v Manchester United > Tuesday November 5th Rafa and Evans out so expecting Rio and Vida to start (maybe Rio/Smalling) Fabio to start right back and maybe Buttner on the left to rest Evra - midfield Carrick and Fellaini need games together and Nani, Kagawa and Rooney as attacking midfield - Chico WILL start to rest RVP for the Arsenal game - Adnan rested for Arsenal too United will want to keep it tight and will probably be happy with a draw (and no more injuries) which will give them 8 points and one win (or maybe one point) away from qualifying depending on other results - Sociedad may be happy with a point too to give them a chance in the last 2 games Under 2.5 1.91@ Coral 0-0 CS 12@ Coral

Well' date=' RVP has 5 days to rest for the Arsenal game. Whats your source that he won't start.[/quote'] He's still carrying injuries plus Chico in great form and not used on Saturday - squad needs to be used efficiently when we're playing twice a week

I want to back Man.United here' date=' but their inconsistent form plus poor record against Spanish sides in Spain (only 2 wins, 9 draws and 10 losses) stops me.[/quote'] Based on the record the Red Devils have against Spanish teams taking Real Sociedad not to lose may look like a good option. However, I would have seriousely considered these stats if Man. United were playing against an in form Spanish team. But Real Sociedad has been inconsistent recently, while Man. United have won their last 4 games and I don't think that they will lose here. Man. United or Draw @ 1.40 ​Bet365

Rafa and Evans out so expecting Rio and Vida to start (maybe Rio/Smalling) Fabio to start right back and maybe Buttner on the left to rest Evra - midfield Carrick and Fellaini need games together and Nani, Kagawa and Rooney as attacking midfield - Chico WILL start to rest RVP for the Arsenal game - Adnan rested for Arsenal too United will want to keep it tight and will probably be happy with a draw (and no more injuries) which will give them 8 points and one win (or maybe one point) away from qualifying depending on other results - Sociedad may be happy with a point too to give them a chance in the last 2 games
I can't really agree with this. Regardless of how the Shakhtar game unfolds, 2nd in the group at the end of the day will have a minimum of 7pts and Sociedad with a draw would only have 1pt. If Leverkusen win today then a draw will see Sociedad mathematically unable to qualify, so if they have any ambition to qualify then a draw is not something they can be even remotely happy with. I do agree that United will want to keep it tight though. However, I am betting on Sociedad having ambitions to progress from the group and that if level they will be willing to open up later in the second half to press for a winner. As such I think there is value in Draw/Utd in the HT/FT market (6.8 Betfair). The reasoning here is that Utd will indeed come to play a good defensive game and use the qualities of their attacking players to score a counter attacking winner later in the game when Sociedad press harder to try and qualify from the group.

Re: Real Sociedad v Manchester United > Tuesday November 5th United seem to be back in very decent form at the moment with a 7 game unbeaten run. Rooney is playing out of his skin, so well that it doesn't matter much if Van Persie plays or not, as he has been poor this season anyways. Moyes will want to finish top of the group, and as soon as possible if he can. I thought Sociedad played well at Old Trafford, but United have improved since that match in my opinion. Shakhtar went to Spain and beat them 2-0, so doubt United will fear them, expecting an attacking line up. Manchester United Draw No Bet - 4 Points @ 1.80 Sky Bet

Re: Real Sociedad v Manchester United > Tuesday November 5th Here are my thoughts prior to seeing final lineups To me, the game is United all the way, even without RvP. I also see goals if Hernandez is starting. Hernandez is desperate for more playing time, and when he does get starts, he just seems to score goals. He is extremely adept at hanging on the last man's shoulder and timing his runs. He can poach with the best of them and would expect him to be difficult to keep off the score sheet on this one. He wants to shine on the biggest stage, and here is his chance. I am a bit worried about Rooney's exceptionally heavy workload. I'm too lazy to look it up, but he seems to have played at least 85 minutes now in almost all of United's league games since returning form head gash. Add to that his minutes with the English national team and it will take a toll down the line if Moyes doesn't find time to sit him some. United getting 3 points here on the road should offer enough of a cushion to give him some rest further along, and with cup ties coming up, that should be some added time for him to rest. United if anything else has been scoring at a decent clip, but have failed to keep opposition from scoring too. Sociedad with nothing to lose really, sitting at the bottom of the standings, if they lose, they're just about eliminated. They should be bolstered with a bit of confidence from their weekend thumping of Osasuna too. If Fabio and Nani are starting, both are weaknesses on defense. I don't believe Rio and Vidic have paired together in a number of months now. DeGea has been called upon to make some tremendous stops. I would like to see if Fellaini and Carrick are both starting, as they sometimes seem to run over each other a bit out there, it would be nice if Fellaini is given a bit of latitude to go forward a bit. One thing also that would be nice is if RvP is on the bench, this allows Rooney to get more forward and Kagawa can sit back in the pocket a bit more where I believe he is most comfortable. Last game vs Fulham, Kagawa and Rooney were a bit on top of each other, and this isn't the first instance this has happened this year. I don't think Kagawa enjoys being out wide that much, where it is more logical for him to play if Rooney is stting back with RvP up top. Again, I would prefer to see final lineups before making my play, but to me, I see a 2-1, 3-1 United away win here. Real Sociedad is simply not on par with United talent wise, but this doesn't mean they can't get a result of course, as United seems to blunder in CL matches against lesser teams in recent years (Atletico Bilbao, Basel, just off the top of my head here).

Re: Real Sociedad v Manchester United > Tuesday November 5th Carrick is out with a calf injury - Rooney needs to play as much as possible or he becomes unfit very quickly - plus he gets the hump if he's left out :D U19s just beat Sociedad 2-0 - good omen :ok

Re: Real Sociedad v Manchester United > Tuesday November 5th 3pts BTTS and Man Utd to win @ 4.80 Coral I am going with a slightly high risk bet. Man Utd won the reverse fixture 1-0 when Real Sociedad were in a dire state in their league. But since their last match, Real Sociedad have won 2 games and drawn 1, showing a much more promising form that has seen them score 10 goals including a 5-0 win this weekend. Throw in the fact that United have been leaking goals every other game this season and the fact Man United have a poor record in Spain (something like 9/10 draws, 9/10 losses and only 1 win), one can expect a tightly contested game here. Man United have been showing slightly better form over the last couple of games and I expect them to either win this narrowly 2-1 or to draw 1-1. Sure taking both teams to score might be the better option @ 1.80, but I rather put a smaller stake on much higher odds to see if it pays off.

Re: Real Sociedad v Manchester United > Tuesday November 5th Real Sociedad not used playing in European competition, and this affects the results of both the Champions League and domestic competition. In Spain, the team did not play very smoothly, although recent results clearly improved. Maybe a bad start due to the arrival of new coach , although Arrasate worked in Sociedad still needs time to " grinding " adaptation. Manchester United, this team, I think one of the most famous clubs in the world. Manchester United is going through right now probably is not the best of times in its history, but this is temporary. Perhaps this season, Manchester United if the offensive line problem is not so much evident, with the defense constantly having trouble. One of the reasons are rather "old" age of the main center-backs : Vidic and Ferdinand. They are all more difficult to keep up with high-speed attacking rivals, and because of this, the team misses a lot. But the problem Moyes will have to decide in the offseason. After a poor start to the Premier League , many already buried Manchester United. Perhaps the way it is. But Manchester United in the Champions League remains one of the favorites, can not be the first , but certainly not the last. Champion of England (at least with Fergusson) made ​​a fall for his dedication , character and strength of will. I think all of these qualities , we will see in the near future with a new stellar team. If you look at the betting line , can see that MU though is the favorite, but not very much clear. Clearly the hosts at home strong , MU is not so formidable as ever. I think that Manchester United will win , possibly with some problems, but to win. By this a situation group. In the following rounds will travel to Germany and welcome home incomprehensible and not stable now , Shakhtar. Real Sociedad seems easier opponent than the other two . Manchester United show their character , tune and win in Spain. I want to take advantage of this, and propose a less risky bet suggest playing 2(0) 1.95 at bet365

Under 2.5 1.91@ Coral 0-0 CS 12@ Coral
Got it spot on but could have been different against a very average team 1. De Gea - solid - spilled the ball once but recovered well in difficult conditions 7 12. Smalling - I'll say it again - NOT a full back 5 5. Ferdinand - looked competent for a change 7 15. Vidic - very solid - what you'd expect from him 7 3. Evra - best player IMO - got forward well 8 25. Valencia - very poor - nothing in an attacking sense 3 31. Fellaini - needs more control - niggled away at people after his first yellow 5 11. Giggs - decent performance from the old bloke - unlucky with a couple of through balls 6 26. Kagawa - looked a different player when moved to the hole - 5 before 8 after 6 overall 10. Rooney - workmanlike as ever - hardly got or created a chance 6 14. Hernandez - no service - unlucky bobble when he pulled the trigger but used wrong foot 6 4. Jones - late sub - no rating 18. Young - good first ball into RVP - "won" a soft pen and went downhill from there 4 20. Van Persie - unlucky hitting the post twice - looked sharp when he came on - found loads of space 7

United seem to be back in very decent form at the moment with a 7 game unbeaten run. Rooney is playing out of his skin, so well that it doesn't matter much if Van Persie plays or not, as he has been poor this season anyways. Moyes will want to finish top of the group, and as soon as possible if he can. I thought Sociedad played well at Old Trafford, but United have improved since that match in my opinion. Shakhtar went to Spain and beat them 2-0, so doubt United will fear them, expecting an attacking line up. Manchester United Draw No Bet - 4 Points @ 1.80 Sky Bet
0-0, money back. Although United had 2 great chances to win the game, they didn't deserve to win it, result was fair. Young is doing himself no favours cheating yet again. Fellaini is capable of anything also, silly red card to get. Smalling played very well at right full tonight I thought, got forward but the only thing he lacks is a decent cross.

Smalling played very well at right full tonight I thought, got forward but the only thing he lacks is a decent cross
That is really why I feel he's no right back - final ball/cross lets him down and then has to get back to defend - looked a bigger attacking threat than Valencia - not sure why Fabio wasn't given a chance - more natural in that position I really think Fellaini is trying to do too much to get accepted by the fans - if he just sat deep and broke the play up he'd be great but he's trying to get forward and gets caught out by his lack of pace so he makes too many last ditch tackles Young looks intimidated by the talent at Old Trafford every time he steps on the pitch - no confidence since day one and never will - some players just can't make the step up from being a good player at an average club to being even a good squad player at United