** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row1] [TD=class: firstColumn]Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.41[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.75[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]9.4[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]102.61 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September United are quite heavy favourites for this one - basically because of their name rather than any impressive performances of late. They were terrible for the most part against Palace, Rooney makes a massive difference to how they play though and RVP looks very isolated if he isn't in the starting line-up. Leverkusen have started the season well in Germany winning 4 of their first 5 games and in players like Sam, Son and Kiessling in attacking areas I think they have more than enough firepower to cause United problems. United haven't really looked that confident as an attacking side since that opening day win, most of us expected them to batter Palace at the weekend but they produced little until they got the 'penalty' (should have been a free-kick outside the box!) and then didn't really create much in the second half until the impressive Januzaj came on and we saw the difference that it makes when you have a attacking midfielder/winger who can run confidently with the ball and commit people, something United have lacked in wide areas for some time as Valencia, Young and Nani have showed very little/no form at all really. Leverkusen will be missing Castro who is a regular starter in midfield, he hasn't travelled to Manchester. Expect the midfield to be formed of Bender, Reinartz, Rolfes with Sam, Son and Kiessling in attack. They don't have massive strength in depth and may struggle to combine a CL campaign with a successful league season and fell away a bit last season after getting to the knockout stages of the EL. They will press United high up the pitch and break with speed, United playing them at home and attacking with numbers will probably suit them down to the ground. United have had two tough games against Liverpool and Chelsea but it was a bit alarming how little they created in these games and 2.2 looks good for the Levekusen double chance to me. Bayer Leverkusen +0.5AH - 2.2 - betinternet - 5 Points

I'm not really sure why the unders is fav here we see it every year at the start of the champions league overs is always generously priced and then adjusted after a bit. Champions league football is pretty much full pace attack and nothing like league football. Will wait for teams but I will be looking at over 2.5 and over 3.5. Agree with Hastgill Leverkusen will cause Man U problems and I expect them to score.

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September Injuries and suspensions: Manchester United v Bayer Leverkusen Manchester United: Danny Welbeck, Phil Jones (both doubtful), Rafael, Darren Fletcher Bayer Leverkusen: Lars Bender, Jens Hegeler (both doubtful), Gonzalo Castro

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September Draw 1st Half, Utd Win 2nd Half - 18/5 @ William Hill Got a good feeling about this one. Utd notoriously slow starters recently in Europe, (2-0 down to Braga at home last year and also lost 1-0 to Cluj) but will find their feet and fight back to win or draw at the very least, with the players desperate to impress Moyes. Leverkusen well capable of starting strongly and scoring at least 1, with a good front line and currently lying 3rd in a very strong Bundesliga. There's also a chance Moyes will have a few big names on the bench to start with, with the derby coming up on Sunday, and then bring them on 2nd half to influence the game.

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September really surprised and happy by odds here ! lucky who got bayer @5.75 few days ago(was there really odds @9.4 as posted?). for me its a massive draw no bet @3.75 with paddy power. will do 15 % of my betting account. i am not saying man u is bad or something by at these odds and at this moment of time i have to take them. bayer will come here after 4 wins in 5 bundesga matches, creating 60 chances on the way, will play 4 5 1 counter attacking football, kiessling up front is doing well, 4 goals in 5 bundesliga, that`s for i really like cheeky MBS with paddy power if it`s a draw, two scorecasts - kiessling to score first and bayer to win 2:1 @75 and 3:1 at staggering @176 tenner on each as i find draw very likely here, so i hope bayer can get this one. why? bayer have good start of this season and have good rhythm what is man u don`t have at a moment, they are far away now to be man u at old traford what they used to be - not beatable, with game controlling midfield and 2 - 3 goals per game as a standard. bayer is team on up .. they finished 3rd with equal points with cl finalists d. borussia last season, they have 15 wins out of last 18 games in all competitions (including friendlies), whereas unconvincing man u just won`t be a team to relay on these season, so for all that i`ll be playing here less money/bigger odds ...

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September first of all; people, don't get fooled by united's playing style. for neutrals, yeah, they often seem dull and unwatchable, but that's because they play direct and energy conserving football, so you won't see many big wins. but it's nothing new, really (and unfortunately for me as fan). sometimes, they look like they're not even trying to score more than it's needed, but they WILL get the job done in this kind of matches. keep in mind that this is moyes's first CL group match, so i doubt he will aproach it like fergie often used to - like a carling cup match. and if bender and castro don't make it in time, who are important for their defensive play, then i really don't see how can they stand a chance here. even if leverkusen manage to score somehow, expect united to raise their game and win it.

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September Okay leverkusen is on fire. Yes they won 4 or their 5 games in germany. Okay they won against Wolfsburg, M'gladbach and lousy Stuttgart and Freibourg. They had real test against Schalke and they lost that game. What I surprise a lot of people thought they gonna win that match but they didn't. Man.Utd don't play best football right now. If they do I think odds would have been much lower. But still I think Man.Utd is much, much better team than Leverkusen and this is champions league. If I learned something so far playing in national championship is not the same as playing in CL. Sociedad and Shakhtor are two other teams in this group so this won't be easy for Mancester. They need to win all the games at home because it would be much tougher on the road, this is no easy group. Like I said Man.Utd are much more quality team they have more experience playing in these kind of matches and at the end quality will prevail. I don't say it will be easy game for Man.Utd but my local booker offers me 1.80 for Man.Utd. I see value in these odds

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September 4pts B.Leverkusen (+0.75AH) to beat Man Utd 1.87 Bet365 As long as Leverkusen don’t freeze back on the big stage then I think they can get something out of this match. United haven’t given the impression they are firing on all cylinders at the minute and they could be vulnerable to a confident side such as the German side. We’re getting as big a handicap as 0.75 on Leverkusen here which looks a good one as we’ll only lose half a stake if United edge home but I think the visitors can get a result in this one. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/man-utd-vs-bayer-leverkusen-betting-germans-can-leave-old-trafford-with-a-result

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September Manchester United - Bayer Leverkusen Bayer Leverkusen Supporter here. Although we started the season with 4 victories in 5 games, the doesn't tell the true story of our team. At home we convinced against Freiburg, M'gladbach (mid-table teams) and in the second half against Wolfsburg (top-team only on the paper). Away we won luckily in Stuttgart and deservingly lost at Schalke. There have been big differences in home and away performances. The attacking players Sam/Son/Kiessling are fast and technically very strong, they could provide some trouble for Manu on the counter attack. But our defense (probable line-up Donate, Toprak, Spahic, Boenisch) is IMHO by far not strong enough to shut down players like Rooney and RVP. In the midfield Castro's absence surely is a blow for us, if Bender will be able to play we dont know yet. I know that the performances of ManU haven't been that great so far but I'm sure their game will improve when it comes to CL. I would say fair odds for a United win would be around 1.6 - 1.7. Bet365 is offering 1.83 at the moment! We may nick a goal on the counter but I see ManU scoring at least 2 or 3 goals. Pick: ManU @1.83 (bet365) Confidence 7/10

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September Strange game for both teams. Man utd is currently facing with new management issues and its related headaches. still they have a solid and good team. honestly i dont think about rooney as a big issue since every manager wants to work with a player like rooney. Their current epl form is not the strongest one or the one that everyone used to see on Fergie era but it's new manager and he needs some time. Leverkusen on the other hand is on form for sure. They have no problems on attack and this lets me to think about a more safe bet tonight than side bets. Both to score can be a good option to try for tonight. Only team that Leverkusen cant score this season is Schalke but games at gelsenkirchen can always be tricky and hard and losses against Schalke can be acceptable. Kiessling Sam and new transfer Son formed a good trio on attack and i think they can manage to score at Old trafford. Castro is out and will be replaced by Rolfes which will give more options on defence rather than attack. Hyypia's mind will probably be on defence and getting one point against Man.utd. i cant decide which team to play therefore i'm going for safe bet tonight. Both to score.

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September

Injuries and suspensions: Manchester United v Bayer Leverkusen Manchester United: Danny Welbeck, Phil Jones (both doubtful), Rafael, Darren Fletcher Bayer Leverkusen: Lars Bender, Jens Hegeler (both doubtful), Gonzalo Castro
Nani suspended and Adnan ineligible

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September Moyes will have to step up this time. No time for messing around any more. Moyes can count on all players and his team will have to perform and record a win against weakened Bayer 04 tonight. Only missing for Manchester United is Darren Fletcher, but he can be replaced. Bigger concern is that Manchester United has to play against their city rivals on weekend and win here could boost their morale prior to that match. Manchester United had two tough matches, against Chelsea (0:0) and against Liverpool (0:1), but you can't keep attackers like RVP, Rooney, Welbeck and Chicharito at bay for couple of matches in a row. We might see a bit changed line-up tonight, but I think whatever squad Moyes puts on field, will have no problems against Bayer 04. Bayer 04 comes to Manchester with couple of problems Sami Hyypia will have to deal with. Gonzalo Castro and Lars Bender are questionable and these two players are quite important for the team. Bayer might score, yes, but there is no doubts for me that Manchester United will score a goal more, for sure and home win almost certain tonight. Manchester United @ 2.05 (bet-at-home)

Moyes will have to step up this time. No time for messing around any more. Moyes can count on all players and his team will have to perform and record a win against weakened Bayer 04 tonight. Only missing for Manchester United is Darren Fletcher, but he can be replaced. Bigger concern is that Manchester United has to play against their city rivals on weekend and win here could boost their morale prior to that match. Manchester United had two tough matches, against Chelsea (0:0) and against Liverpool (0:1), but you can't keep attackers like RVP, Rooney, Welbeck and Chicharito at bay for couple of matches in a row. We might see a bit changed line-up tonight, but I think whatever squad Moyes puts on field, will have no problems against Bayer 04. Bayer 04 comes to Manchester with couple of problems Sami Hyypia will have to deal with. Gonzalo Castro and Lars Bender are questionable and these two players are quite important for the team. Bayer might score, yes, but there is no doubts for me that Manchester United will score a goal more, for sure and home win almost certain tonight. Manchester United @ 2.05 (bet-at-home)
Biggest price available on United is 1.83 Alfie. They are 1.75 with that firm you mentioned. Only checked because I would have put my house on 2.05

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September You have to lump on United as Bayer have an awful away record in the CL in recent years Even with the derby game at the weekend I expect a very strong lineup for United - considering how poor our wingers are we may be even starting with a narrow diamond with Rooney sitting behind RVP and Chico - blew Newcastle away last year with that formation - Vida or Rio to be rested too with Evans coming in Probably a choice of Fabio or Smalling at RB - with maybe Smalling getting the nod even though he's no fullback IMO - hopefully Rafa will be back by the weekend Definite home win 1.80 with most bookies - RVP looks massive at 5.0 with Ladbrokes but I'm going for Chico at 7.5 (Hills and Victor) - 3-1 home win IMO

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September Leverkusen +1.0AH is up to 1.7 with betinternet now, and still rising. I probably won't put anymore on it as the bet is far from certain but considering Man Utd's recent struggles in Europe with virtually the same starting XI that certainly isn't the worst price in the world..last season you wouldn't have lost your money with that bet in any of their group games against Cruj, Braga or Galatasaray who are all inferior sides to Leverkusen.

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September Man utd vs leverkusen. We have a nice match coming up! United not in their greatest form at the moment but I never compare league games with european games. They have so much experience in their squad on this level an especially topclass players like vidic, van persie, rooney. They raise their game and with a fantastic crowd we can see some firework tonight in their first match. It would not surprise me if they take a early lead. Van persie is angreat striker who often scores in a important game. Rooney found the net and will be fired up too. Leverkusen on the other hand made a fine start in bundesliga and have a good squad for some time now. But there is one thing that stood by me is their away game against schalke. Everyone expected that they would seal a win their but hardly created anything and lost 2-0 against a depleted schalke at that moment. Like I said I never compare league games but I think that leverkusen will struggle in big games and tonight like they often do in away games especially in the CL. I like to back the most experienced sides and man utd almost never fails. I see a home win here and we might see some goals tonight because both teams will definitely fight for their first win. Good luck guys!

You have to lump on United as Bayer have an awful away record in the CL in recent years Even with the derby game at the weekend I expect a very strong lineup for United - considering how poor our wingers are we may be even starting with a narrow diamond with Rooney sitting behind RVP and Chico - blew Newcastle away last year with that formation - Vida or Rio to be rested too with Evans coming in Probably a choice of Fabio or Smalling at RB - with maybe Smalling getting the nod even though he's no fullback IMO - hopefully Rafa will be back by the weekend Definite home win 1.80 with most bookies - RVP looks massive at 5.0 with Ladbrokes but I'm going for Chico at 7.5 (Hills and Victor) - 3-1 home win IMO
Is that based on anything? Can't really imagine Moyes doing that against what is a decent side, if he didn't play that kind of formation against Palace I can't see why he would against a much better team. Moyes isn't an attacking coach by nature but perhaps he will see how bad they have been against Chelsea, Liverpool and Palace and go for something a bit more adventurous..can't see it personally, would be encouraging if he did though, Young and Valencia have been woeful for a long time now and could do with a kick up the a*se.

Is that based on anything?
Like I said - our wingers have been poor - Fergie used a 4-1-2-1-2 last year against Toon and total blew them away early on and as there is plenty of strength in midfield it's worth a try IMO (and would work well against a 4-3-3) - but Moysie will probably stick with a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 because (can't think of a valid reason) - also playing the diamond gives an opportunity to start RVP, Chico and Rooney together If it is a 4-4-2 I would play both Evra and Buttner on the left (both started out as left wingers) - both are excellent going forward and are more of a threat than Young

Re: Manchester United v Bayer 04 Leverkusen > Tue 17th September Thinking of Utd to win to nil. With the experienced duo of Ferdinand and Vidic at the back and Fellaini's elbows patrolling the midfield, and RVP and a pacified Rooney upfront I can see a 1-0 or 2-0 victory on the cards for Moyes first CL match.

Utd XI - De Gea, Smalling, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Valencia, Carrick, Fellaini, Kagawa, Rooney, Van Persie. I'm liking the look of that. Very positive, especially with Kagawa back.
Subs: Linedgaard, Evans, Fabio, Anderson, Young, Cleverley, Hernandez. Kags starts \0/ So it's a 4-2-3-1 with either Rooney or Kags on the left (probably rotating) - Fellaini will prove the doubters wrong and prove he is CL class :ok

Biggest price available on United is 1.83 Alfie. They are 1.75 with that firm you mentioned. Only checked because I would have put my house on 2.05
Sorry for misleading - was looking at flashscore.com prices (thought they have the "freshest" ones...) Anyhow, ManU won, but I will double check prices from now on :)