Announcements
*** York Ebor Competition: Well done to 1st daveg, 2nd glavintobuy & 3rd Donnyflyer ***
** August Poker League Result : 1st kevsul, 2nd ian309, 3rd Manc **
** August Naps Competition Result: 1st Zidane123, 2nd Adamross, 3rd Wanderlust, 4th Rainbow. KO Cup Winner: Peter York, Most Winners: Alastair **

cpo's anything goes

cpo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: cpo's anything goes

well done on the winner cpo' date=' i think my run is worse than yours though![/quote'] Cheers Bowles, much appreciated! It's so strange how one month you can do no wrong and the next you just can't back a thing... funny old game. July has to be the worst month for me in living memory... absolutely brutal! Here's to a better August :cheers

Re: cpo's anything goes Different month, same old story! 4.50 Goodwood - Yourartisonfire 1pt EW @ 11/1 Bet365 Wasn't going to bet in this race but I can't resist. This horse is up 6lbs for winning a 4 runner race at Sandown but he did it very nicely in the end and was well on top at the finish. He has a nice draw in 1 and Jim Crowley takes over the steering. Obviously this is much tougher but that win may have done him the world of good. He has ran well on every start this season so I see no reason why he can't go well here. The trainer thinks a lot of him and the visor may just help eke a little more improvement.

Re: cpo's anything goes 3.05 Goodwood - Fire Ship 1.5pts EW @ 16/1 Bet365 Why is it I am always inclined to try and pick the winner of the most competitive race of the day? The one I do like in this race is Fire Ship who won very nicely on Sunday at Pontefract beating some good horses in the process. He has to carry a 3lb penalty in this race but horses carrying penalties actually have a very good record in this race so that doesn't put me off. He is well drawn in 7, which is very important on this turning track and he likes to race prominently. Neil Callan has ridden this horse twice in the past and won both times on him. I think he has an excellent each way chance in this for a trainer who went close today with Aussie Reigns. The Mark Johnston trio have to be feared given he has taken 3 of the last 4 renewals of this race and I would probably side with Galician out of the 3. Fire Ship however comes into this race on the back of a career best performance and looks set to run a big race with everything in his favour.

Re: cpo's anything goes 1.55 Goodwood - Lost in The Moment 2pts win @ 6/1 Bet365 This horse may well prefer further but he showed last time out that he is effective over this trip. He did really well to win on his return to action at Newmarket beating some good horses in the process. The form of that win was franked the other day with Harris Twebolting up in a competitive race. He clearly handles the track as he finished an excellent 2nd here a couple of years ago in the Goodwood Cup. I have my doubts over his opposition so I will take him to outstay his rivals and get a much needed winner at the track for SDS.

Re: cpo's anything goes 3.40 Goodwood - Smoothtalkinrascal 1pt EW @ 7/1 PaddyPower This horse is ultra consistent and is improving with every run. His run last time out at Epsom was massively eye-catching and I expect a similar run today. This race should be run at a furious gallop, which will suit those held up. It's all about getting the breaks in running, which if this horse gets he could go close. He makes his first start for Cheveley Park today and it wouldn't be the biggest surprise if it were a winning one. Like with all sprints however this could go to almost any horse in the race so low stakes and an each way bet is the way to go.

Re: cpo's anything goes 5.25 Goodwood - Retirement Plan 2pts win @ 5/1 Bet365 This is horse is really well bred and is named as if much is expected of him. He ran an absolute stinker on debut but followed that with a much improved effort at Doncaster, winning quite readily in the end. The drop back in trip today should be no problem and Lady Cecil has done very well since taking over from Sir Henry. The 3 IMO worth concentrating on and the 3 least exposed horses in the race with Retirement Plan just preferred.

Re: cpo's anything goes Bit of a frustrating day today despite the winner and ending up in profit. Lost in The Moment finished 2nd and Fire Ship finished 5th with Galician the only other horse I mentioned in the race getting up late to finish 4th. The only disappointment was Smoothtalkinrascal who was always at the rear of the field but Retirement Plan did it nicely in the last to ensure a rare day of profit!

Re: cpo's anything goes 3.50 Goodwood - Rex Imperator 1pt EW @ 16/1 Bet365 Ever since this horse won at Windsor last year, I have kept an eye on him and backed him several times only to be let down. This year he seems to have got his act together and he should go well in this. He finished a good 2nd behind the progressive Diescentric at Doncaster before finishing 6th in the Wokingham at Royal Ascot. His last run came at Windsor where he finished another good 2nd behind the progressive Tropics and although that one is in opposition for this, Rex is much better off at the weights. Rex enjoys a 9lb pull with Tropics for this race, which should see him get much closer to him or even get past him. William Haggas is in great form at the moment and Neil Callan is a jockey I have plenty of time for. Given this horse gets a clear run through, he should go very well.

Re: cpo's anything goes 2.40 Goodwood - London Bridge 1pt EW @ 8/1 PaddyPower Have to admit I don't like the fact Hanagan rides this horse as I thought he gave Parbold a stinking ride the other day but I feel this horse has a good chance in this. He has progressed rapidly this year winning off 64 at Brighton to now racing off 94 in this. He was only narrowly denied the 4 timer at Ascot last time out but is 1lb better off with Bold Sniper tomorrow. He battled on very gamely that day and he could prove tough to pass on this track, which should suit. Trainer is in good form and I expect this horse to give it his best shot from the front if thats how they choose to ride him. He is drawn in 4 so I would expect them to be somewhere near the front throughout.

Re: cpo's anything goes 2.05 Goodwood - Seeking Magic 1pt EW @ 16/1 BetVictor This horse was a good 3rd in this race last year off a mark of 87. Tomorrow he races off 93 but Ryan Tate takes off a valuable 5lbs. I think he is a better horse this year as he has shown in his last 2 starts finishing 3rd on both occasions in a couple of hot handicaps. Both of those 3rds came off 93 so he must have a good chance tomorrow racing off the same mark but with a talented young jockey taking 5lbs off his back. He likes to race up with the pace, which is another plus as there is very little chance of meeting trouble in running. The stable form is a slight worry but they finally got a winner the other day with Highland Duke. An almost impossible race to fathom out but Seeking Magic should give us a good run for our money from the front.

Re: cpo's anything goes 3.15 Goodwood - Just Pretending 1pt EW @ 14/1 Boylesports It's very hard to knock this horses consistency as she has now finished placed in the Irish 1000 Guineas, the Ribblesdale and the Irish Oaks. I think she deserves a change of luck and she might just get that today dropping back in trip to 10f. Seamie Heffernan takes over the ride from Joseph but he has ridden her on 2 of the occasions mentioned above so I wouldn't worry about him doing the steering. Obviously anything sent over by Aiden O'Brien has to be taken seriously but there is a chance that this one has gone under the radar a little with several big named home contingent in opposition. I think she has less to prove than most of her opposition and she is very tough and genuine and it would be no surprise to me if she was to win this.

Re: cpo's anything goes 3.50 Newbury - Songbird 2pts win @ 11/8 StanJames She is very hard to assess but she has won both of her starts in emphatic fashion and there is a chance she could be right out of the top drawer. Lady Cecil has done very well since taking over from Sir Henry and I strongly fancy her to get another nice winner in this tomorrow. She cost a fortune but did not see a racecourse until 4 years of age but in 2 starts has managed to acquire a mark of 103. She has a Yorkshire Oaks entry so she is clearly well thought of and Frankie takes the ride tomorrow. She should prove very tough to beat. 4.05 Dusseldorf - Secret Gesture 2pts win @ 11/8 StanJames I don't really know much about the German form but Secret Gesture looks a good bet in this for me. She ran an absolute stormer at Epsom to finish 2nd despite racing prominently throughout. The fact she managed to hang on to 2nd was impressive given they went pretty quick from the off. Everything looks set for a big run tomorrow as she is well drawn and is the clear top rated horse in the race. Jamie Spencer travels over for the ride and her trainer Ralph Beckett is no stranger to German success having taken the German 1000 Guineas last year. She has apparently been working well at home since getting over her injury and connections have opted for the easier race for her. That will hopefully look a shrewd move come 10 past 4 tomorrow afternoon. 2pts double as well as the singles

Re: cpo's anything goes 2.30 Chester - Day of The Eagle 2pts win @ 7/1 Ladbrokes Has been running well of late and the visor might just eke out a little more improvement from him. His last visit to this track ended up with a win so track form is a plus. He has been handed a good draw in 4, which is also very important here but maybe more importantly is how this race will be run. There looks to be plenty of horses in this that like to front run with some of them drawn very wide. This could turn into a right burn up and could be very messy with some horses trying to come across from a wide stall. Hopefully my selection can stay out of harms way on the inside of the track and just stalk what could be a fast pace. Graham Gibbons takes the ride and the horse has already been backed tonight. He looks to have a good chance in what looks an open race.

Re: cpo's anything goes Iv had a little 1pt EW ED acca on the 3 above selections and Moonlight Cloud over at Deauville. She has won the race the previous 2 years and although she comes up against the top sprinter this year in Lethal Force, I think home advantage and course form will prove vital. The bet is probably not everyones cup of tea! Secret Gesture 5/4 Songbird 11/10 Day of The Eagle 5/1 Moonlight Cloud 6/4 With William Hill

Re: cpo's anything goes Bit of nightmare today! 4.25 Newbury - Howyadoingnotsobad 1.5pts win @ 8/1 WilliamHill This looks very open but my selection comes into this on the back of a very good effort at Epsom. He was a little short of room at one point near the finish and could have finished closer under Richard Hughes. Today he is up 2lbs but the young jockey takes off 7lbs. This should be run at a decent clip with my selection helping force the pace, but the extra weight taken off his back by the jockey could prove vital.

Re: cpo's anything goes 3.45 Ripon – Bachotheque 1.5pts EW @ 14/1 Bet365 This looks a tricky little 6f handicap to get stuck into and I am going to side with Bachotheque who does have to put some disappointing recent runs behind him. This horse took its time to get off the mark but he did put in some creditable efforts last year finishing 2nd to the likes of Blaine and Rosdhu Queen. He finally got off the mark at Carlisle on his 6th run but followed that with a brilliant win in a competitive Nursery at Ayr beating the likes of Rio’s Pearl, Yourartisonfire and Majestic Moon. The ground for both of his wins was pretty testing and I do feel this is what he needs to be seen to best effect. It’s no surprise that his last 3 runs have been disappointing as they have all come on good to firm ground. He is bred to appreciate plenty of cut in the ground and tomorrow he might just get that with plenty of rain forecast at Ripon. Previous to his last 3 runs he did make an encouraging return to action at York in a race won by subsequent Group 2 winner Moviesta. That effort came off a mark of 85 but he was only beaten just over 2 lengths at the finish and was staying on. I think a return to softer conditions will suit him and he has dropped 6lbs since returning at York. Tim Easterby has a current strike rate of 10% but he is the top trainer at the track and his horses here have to always be respected. If the rain comes this horse is more than capable of getting involved at a nice price, especially off a lowly mark of 79 if you consider Moveista has since gone on to finish placed in handicaps off 93 and 98 and win a group 2 from 104.

Not exactly what I was hoping for with this thread but thankfully yesterday made the stats look a little rosier. Bets 48 Winning Bets 7 Staked 95.5 Returned 61.37 Profit -34.13
Early days mate, keep at it as one or two winners will soon get it back :ok

Re: cpo's anything goes 2.35 Naas - Blistering Dancer 1.5pts EW @ 7/1 PaddyPower This horse looks to have a cracking chance here dropping back in trip to 6f. He was caught late on last time out over 7f under a 10lb claimer but he can get off the mark today under Danny Grant. He has gone close a couple of times in previous runs but the drop back to 6f can finally do the trick. This is competitive but he should be able to at least make the first 4.

2.30 Ffos Las - Lordship 1pt EW @ 16/1 Bet365 This horse hasn't won since October 2009 but this season he is with a new trainer and they might be able to get 1 more win out of him. He looks very well handicapped at the moment if rediscovering his old form. His 2 runs this year can be forgiven but today he gets the soft that he needs to be seen to best effect. His regular rider Jake Payne is back on on board and this race looks very winnable. Last year he struggled, which is probably why he has switched stables but he now races off 46, which is 16lbs lower than his last winning mark. The 2 runs he has had this year should have put him spot on for this and with conditions to suit he could outrun his odds.

Re: cpo's anything goes 6.35 Cork - Bold Thady Quil 1pt EW @ 18/1 Bet365 This horse has become rather frustrating this year with several solid efforts behind good horses such as Delcaration of War, Duntle and Leitir Mor but today he might be able to get his head in front with the bigger field surely going to suit. He is a hold up horse so requires luck in running and has often this year been staying on too late over 7f. A strong pace will suit in this and Fran Berry takes the ride who is in great form at the moment. This represents a drop in grade for this horse after a recent 4th at the Curragh but everything looks in his favour for a decent run at nice odds.

Re: cpo's anything goes 7.40 Ripon - Jack Luey 1.5pts EW @ 7/1 Ladbrokes This horse is one of very few to come into this race in some sort of form. He won well 2 starts ago at Redcar getting the better of Last Soveriegn who has actually won twice since. His last run was also a very good effort where he finished 3rd in a class 2 event at Newcastle. The 2 horses that finished ahead of him are rated 95 and 97 so the fact he comes into this race unchanged on 86 is a positive. Tom Eaves is in decent enough form at the moment and although this looks competitive and quite fancy Jack Luey to at least make the frame.

Re: cpo's anything goes 6.30 Kempton - Golden Jubilee 2pts win @ 6/1 Bet365 David Lanigan has been doing very well with these types of horses on the all weather recently but I am going to take him on with the NTD trained Golden Jubilee. He has won 2 of his last 3 starts with one of them coming over 11f at this track. That was a very comfortable success off a mark of 55 and he is only 8lbs higher here despite winning again since on turf. He did look a very tricky ride at Ffos Las and almost ran out at one point so I think it's interesting they have left the headgear off today. It might just have the adverse effect but I think it will help this horse. He is only a 4 year but seems to be progressing nicely so I will take my chance with him while he is in good heart.

Re: cpo's anything goes 4.10 Newmarket – Highland Colori 3pts win @ 6/1 Bet365 Going to take a chance on the top weight in this who I think has a cracking chance of winning this race again. He took this race last year off a 11lb lower mark but comes here in good form and I can see him going very well. He is 3 from 4 over CD with his only defeat coming last time out in the Bunbury Cup. He had valid excuses that day as he raced on the wrong side of the track but still managed to finish first of those to race with him. He is clearly a much better horse when racing here and I don’t think a mark of 99 will stop him. This race is less competitive than the Bunbury Cup and he certainly held his own in that off this mark to suggest he can win off it. David Probert is back on board today having not ridden him on his last 3 starts but 4 of his 6 career wins have come under this jockey so that is a plus. 5.55 Newmarket – Big Time Billy 1pt EW @ 8/1 Ladbrokes Was thwarted in his bed for a 6 timer across both codes last time out at York but ran respectably enough to suggest he can be competitive off just a 1lb higher mark. This is clearly a much tougher race but I think a stronger gallop will help this horse. He was hampered at a vital stage in that race at York as he was just hitting full gear when squeezed for room. He had to switch and come again but by that time it was too late. Dougie Costello takes the ride and this may represent an excellent opportunity for him to get his first flat winner since trying is hand in this code. 12.55 Ascot – Sam Sharp 3pts win @ 5/1 BetVictor Nine Realms is the unexposed horse in the line up and could very easily go on to be much better than this lot but I am going to side with consistent Sam Sharp who has been in good form recently. He ran a cracker on his return to action this season when finishing a close 3rd to Mont Ras at Haydock and followed that with a very good win at York off 86. He finished 2nd at Newmarket on his latest run, splitting 2 horses rated in the 100’s. He races in this off 93 so I feel there could be more to come from him. There are only a few horses that come into this race in form and Sam Sharp is definitely one of them. Cathy Gannon takes the ride and its hard to see this one out of the frame. 2.05 Ascot – Ahtoug 3pts win @ 5/1 Bet365 I originally selected Steps for this race but I feel Ahtoug may be the one now. Steps is 9lbs above his highest winning now after being raised 3lbs for his 2nd last time out. Ahtoug was only just over a length behind him that day and has been dropped 1lb for his effort. The 4lb pull he enjoys with Steps should see him go past that one, especially with the yard absolutely flying now. Ahtoug himself appears to live it over CD with every run here being a good one in competitive sprints. Don’t know much about the jockey but this horse should go close.

Re: cpo's anything goes 2.20 Haydock - Educate 3pts win @ 9/1 Hills I put this one up as my horse to follow at the start of the flat season and I see no reason to abandon him here. He looked as good as ever when winning 3 starts ago at Lingfield off 93 but things haven't got his way since. He got no run whatsoever in the Royal Hunt Cup but stayed on well once switched around horses and finished full of running. He was then sent off a 15/2 shot at York where again things didn't go to plan as he was unsuited by the steady pace and pulled quite hard. He finished 10th that day but only 5 lengths behind the winner Danchai. I think today he will get a stronger pace to run at, which should suit him. I don't think his improvement has stopped just yet and it will be interesting to see how he goes for Johnny Murtagh. The yard aren't in the best of form at the moment but they haven't had many fancied runners out in the last couple of weeks. If they go a good clip here I think Educate can go close with everything in his favour today.

• 2 weeks later...

3.15 Pontefract - Patella 1.5pts EW @ 7/1 Bet365 I like Patella here who has been consistent recently and comes in to this race in good heart. He raced in this last year off a 3lb higher mark and managed to finish 3rd but came into the race in poorer form. This year the yards horses are running well and this extra furlong might just help Patella who has been getting going a little too late in his races. He is previous CD winner, which is a plus. It's a shame 1 has come out leaving just 15 but I am hopeful he can at least run into a place. Blackstone Vegas looks the main danger as he looks to be running into some form after a good run last time out and he himself is a CD winner.