** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Significant upgrading of races, over the next several months.

FOUR jumps races were upgraded from Grade 2 to Grade 1 status on Tuesday, including the Jewson Novices' Chase at the Cheltenham Festival. The Mildmay Novices' Steeple Chase and the Mersey Novices' Hurdle, both at Aintree's Grand National meeting, and the bet365.com Celebration Chase at Sandown in April were the other upgraded races. A further four races were upgraded to Grade 3 status and five were boosted to Listed status, including first black type jumps races for Carlisle and Musselburgh. The submissions for upgrade were discussed by the BHA's jump racing committee at a meeting on July 3. Ruth Quinn, director of racing at the BHA, said: "The jump racing committee recently considered a number of applications for upgrade and we’re really pleased to be able to support four races being promoted to Grade 1." The upgrades bring the total of Grade 1 races at the Cheltenham Festival to 13, while the Grand National meeting can boast of 10. Simon Claisse, clerk of the course at Cheltenham and the Jockey Club's regional head of racing for the South West, said the Jewson upgrade reflected "the depth of strength in the race". Aintree also had two races upgraded from Listed to Grade 3 status: a 2m4f handicap hurdle at the National meeting in April and the early-season Grand National trial the Betfred Becher Steeple Chase. The other races upgraded to Grade 3 status were the Paddy Power Imperial Cup at Sandown in March and the Ladbroke at Ascot in December, both 2m handicap hurdle races. The John Oaksey National Hunt Chase at the Cheltenham Festival was granted Listed status along with the Shloer Chase (Cheltenham, November), the Colin Parker Memorial Intermediate Chase (Carlisle, October), the William Hill Hurdle (Kempton, October) and the John Smith's Scottish Triumph Hurdle (Musselburgh, February).

Re: Significant upgrading of races, over the next several months. I think in recent years they have elevated the status of too many races. There are enough Gr1s at the moment, maybe one or two too many. Because of this there is a plethora of options for the genuine top class horses. A side effect is that some top races have lost their gloss. Take this weekends King George, in years gone by it was probably the biggest race of the summer with many weeks of hype and anticipation. This year it's just another big race with limited media interest. I remember in the past when it was a great race when we had the likes of Mtoto, Opera House , Dancing Brave etc... This year will we see another vintage renewal? Also some of the Gr1s for novices are only Gr1s in name as some of the performers can be Gr3 performers or sometimes not even that. Take the Triumph Hurdle or the Champion Bumper, how many of the horses who turn up in these races end up regular Gr1 performers? Even the Derby often refered to as "...the greatest race in the world..." ,how many who turn up end up as cabbages? I'd prefer top horses to turn up for Gr1s ,if you take the average OR of a Lockinge and the OR of the Arc' it is vastly different yet both Gr1s.

Re: Significant upgrading of races, over the next several months. Would have to agree the Erhaab. Why mend something that isn't broke? In recent years, the additional day at Cheltenham and its added races, have taken a lot of gloss off the Aintree meeting. They can upgrade races as and when, but all it does is reduce the number of runners in the top races, as trainers and owners look to avoid horse x or y, to secure black type. As for that Celebration Chase being upgraded to a grade1 is laughable. Well Chief was the last genuine G1 winner in 2005, the rest have been g3/2 at best. The race is an afterthought for those beaten in the QM at Cheltenham, who don't fancy a rematch at Punchestown.

Re: Significant upgrading of races, over the next several months. Yeah, I do worry when they keep upgrading races to Grade 1 Although, to be fair, it doesn't matter as much over the jumps On the flat it really dilutes the races because having a Group One win is tremendously important for breeding. Hence we appear to have group one mile races in Europe every week from mid-season onwards and no half decent horses ever to need to run against each other - they can all take it in turns to win a group one.............

Re: Significant upgrading of races, over the next several months.

I think in recent years they have elevated the status of too many races. There are enough Gr1s at the moment, maybe one or two too many. Because of this there is a plethora of options for the genuine top class horses. A side effect is that some top races have lost their gloss. Take this weekends King George, in years gone by it was probably the biggest race of the summer with many weeks of hype and anticipation. This year it's just another big race with limited media interest. I remember in the past when it was a great race when we had the likes of Mtoto, Opera House , Dancing Brave etc... This year will we see another vintage renewal? Also some of the Gr1s for novices are only Gr1s in name as some of the performers can be Gr3 performers or sometimes not even that. Take the Triumph Hurdle or the Champion Bumper, how many of the horses who turn up in these races end up regular Gr1 performers? Even the Derby often refered to as "...the greatest race in the world..." ,how many who turn up end up as cabbages? I'd prefer top horses to turn up for Gr1s ,if you take the average OR of a Lockinge and the OR of the Arc' it is vastly different yet both Gr1s.
Good point. I dont know how they work it out but surely the status of the race should depend on the popularity and success of the runners in years gone by. I see that they have also upgraded certain races to G3's and listed races but it again just dillutes the quality. We have far too many graded races with 5-6 runner fields in which half of them are no better than handicappers. For me its not an entertaining race to watch and the short prices stop it from being a realistic betting proposition.

Re: Significant upgrading of races, over the next several months. The dates of some Gr1s are too close together also. Take for example the sprint division. The Kings Stand (5f) and Diamond Jubilee(6f) in mid June at Royal Ascot is followed by the July Cup a couple of weeks later , its the same horses which turn up. The Nunthorpe and Haydock Park Sprint is again two weeks apart in Aug/Sept. Both the Kings Stand and diamond Jubilee were recently promoted , but do we need 2 Gr1 sprints at the same meeting? Wouldn't it be better to have these 4 races spread out so they are roughly 6 weeks apart , for the benefit of owners and spectators? Also top sprinters requiring specific ground conditions can be trained for a specific race knowing there is a likelyhood of having ideal conditions at peak summer or beginning or end of season. Also races like the Falmouth Stakes and Nassau Stakes for female horses is just a month apart , are they really great races , yes they are Gr1s , but Gr1s which generate little media/ante post interest.

Re: Significant upgrading of races, over the next several months. If you have not worked it out yet...Why they have done this in both codes...in recent times....Bloodstock colts n mares....The small paddocks will have a chance against the big boys...Black type in particular.....Over the Jumps, many decent horses have flat blood in their line....The BHA will have seen what may happen in particular with bloomfields.

Both the Kings Stand and diamond Jubilee were recently promoted , but do we need 2 Gr1 sprints at the same meeting?

Ever thought that these two races are part of the Global Sprint Challenge, hence horse come over from Australia and America to contest them. Its a chance for them to run twice while they are here before going back home. Many in the past have ran in both and some then stay for the third leg in the July Cup. Its all done for a reason, not just to piss punters off, people need to understand that these Grade changes and race placements are for the breeders and owners who actually keep the racing going in the UK.

Re: Significant upgrading of races, over the next several months. not suggesting i or anyone is pissed off about have 2 Gr1 sprints at the same meeting ,just suggesting spacing them apart would be better for owners ,afterall there are currently 5 Gr1 sprints ,why have them so close together?its like having the Coronation Cup a few days before the King George.

Re: Significant upgrading of races, over the next several months. Minor deviation from the OP, now someone has mentioned Bloomfields, does anyone know anything about them? Are they the National Hunt division of Godolphin? Is it the same John Ferguson who is or was the bloodstock adviser to Sheikh Mohammed, most or maybe all of the Bloomfields horses are Ex Darley stock. Some of them rated so high that if they were under the care of lesser trainers they'd be stable stars.

Re: Significant upgrading of races, over the next several months. Yes the same man,,well trusted arm or ex arm...of godolphin.....If he can get a champion over the jumps thru godolphin bloodstock...Like ..George Strawbridge...PRESENTING... has housing him for £10k a pop at Glenview ...has made a tidy sum out of him...for a G2 winner...

Re: Significant upgrading of races, over the next several months. Aaah Presenting, my ante post gamble on the St Ledger, think he was fav or second fav when he was withdrawn two days before the start time. Many St Ledger horses have subsequently become NH sires.

Aaah Presenting, my ante post gamble on the St Ledger, think he was fav or second fav when he was withdrawn two days before the start time. Many St Ledger horses have subsequently become NH sires.
DENMAN my friend..:ok...Watch out for SHOLOKHOV's off spring out of Glenview stud....3-4 years some good jump horses I reckon coming along for the jump scene...Put him in your notes

Re: Significant upgrading of races, over the next several months. It seems like the system is run by a secret group of guys who like to reward and help themselves. Its only certain courses which get the opportunity of staging the better races. Seemingly lesser tracks have zero chance of staging a higher profile race in the near future. Wouldn't it great if we from time to time see some decent horses at Catterick ,Newton Abbott,Bath etc etc... How many pattern races have they taken away in recent years from these smaller track , bit of a bumer if your local is Thirsk or Beverly. What about in Scotland ! At one stage there were a few decent races , now if I recall correctly its just the one staged on Gold Cup day. I recall a few times in the past attending the Scottish Derby , now defunct. It seems this attitude mirrors how governments and society works , the rich get richer and the poor get shafted as usual.