** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

British Open~18th-21st July

Tedthewolf

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: British Open~18th-21st July All outright winner, all with Paddy Power, who are paying 7 places and all 0.5pt e/w. Branden Grace, 60/1 Grace finished second in the Scottish Open last week beaten in a play off by Phil Mickelson. He does well on links course and, with last weeks performance, he is clearly in good form. Ian Poulter, 60/1 He has been playing some good golf this season. He usually plays well in this tournament and he has the game to win a major, hopefully this weekend. Padraig Harrington, 66/1 Padraig Harrington finished one shot of the lead when The Open was last played on this course. He is a two time winner of this tournament. He has shown glimpses of his class this season and if he can start well and get some confidence, I'm sure he will be involved late on Sunday evening. Rickie Fowler, 50/1 Fowler has been in good form recently. In his three appearances in this tournament, he has finished 14, 5, 31 in the last three years so links golf appears to suit him. I'm sure he will win a major sooner rather than later and hopefully he will make the step up this weekend.

Re: British Open~18th-21st July I've made Webb Simpson (90's - Betfair) my primary bet this weekend. With windy conditions always in play the ball striking prowess of Simpson will offer him a bigger advantage than usual. His victory at the US Open last year and his continued success at venues like Harbour Town underline how well his game is suited to courses where there's an emphasis on hitting it straight and scrambling and putting well. I've also taken Matt Kuchar (50's - Betfair) as of all the non winners he looks the most likely, and his progression is right where you want it to be. He's won the Players and a WGC event (just as Scott had done), a major is next and the odds here look attractive. I've also taken Marc Warren to be 1st Round Leader (201's - Sportingbet). He's often at the top of the leaderboard at the end of 1st rounds and has a morning tee time which is often where you'll find the 1st Round leaders teeing off.

Re: British Open~18th-21st July i have found some 3 ball bets you might interested in Snedeker to beat Rose and Els 19/10 skybet i have been really impressed with him in his first round looks like he has got the game for this type of course also his opponents did not have good rounds but can come back in the next round but snedeker looks like the best bet Day to beat Kaymer and Porteous 11/10 skybet well his playing partners have not got good open records but day seems to play great in the majors and also the fast greens does suit him Colsaerts to beat Johnson and Watson 5/2 skybet all season i have been impressed wit his game and i feel his game suits links courses as we saw him last weeks scottish open Leishman to beat Leonard and Pugh 11/10 skybet he playing the better golf also has a good record in majors this year

Re: British Open~18th-21st July

Just hearing some complaints about the greens being too quick.....Multi Millionairs most of them' date=' and so what if it running as quick as Augusta.....Get on with it, I say....Or stay at home....:@[/quote'] yep pathetic and surprised at Poulter to be honest. Its a links FFS and been dry for 3 weeks, it will be fast and the greens will be scorched.

1st round leader Difficult to produce enough reasoning for a good 1st round but i know these have done it before so happy to play with these 5 for small stakes for interest Z Johnson 90/1 SJ (95.0 Betfair) M A Jimenez 125/1 Sky (120.0 Betfair) C Schwartzel 50/1 Ladbrokes (55.0 Betfair) R Mcilroy 33/1 Sky (34.0 Betfair) D Johnson 50/1 Sky (50.0 Betfair) Good luck all
Z Johnson winner ! 90/1 D Johnson and Jimenez joint 5th place at -3 also :) happy with that after 6 weeks on the cold list!

yep pathetic and surprised at Poulter to be honest. Its a links FFS and been dry for 3 weeks' date=' it will be fast and the greens will be scorched.[/quote'] Yeah...TOM W...JACK N...1977....a scorched Turnberry...both 10 shots ahead of the rest..."WHO WERE'NT GOOD ENOUGH TO COPE WITH LIGHTNING FAST GREENS"....They played amazing golf to cope with conditions...POULTER...needs to get rid of that EGO!, and check the great players how they coped with fast links courses...

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Poulter was complaining at the pin positions wasn't he not the speed of the greens. He wasn't the only one. Mickelson shot -2 and still said some pins were harsh. I'm all for tough golf, I prefer it to the silly -20 winning tournaments and things but when you can't get close to a pin even with a good shot because it's placed on the crest of a slope it becomes pretty stupid imo.

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Friday previews: 4pts F.Couples to beat N.Faldo & T.Watson 5/6 Coral Fred Couples plays a lot more competitively and he can still play the game too. He has the ability to handle the par 5’s around this golf course which could be important but he is still perfectly good enough around the greens to make a score. His four over first round was a bit of a surprise but I expect him to improve from that and see off his fellow legends on Friday. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-open-betting-fred-couples-can-be-king-of-the-veterans-in-second-round-20130718 3pts H.Matsuyama to beat P.Mickelson & R.McIlroy 16/5 Bet365 Hideki Matsuyama played well for his first round in The Open. He shot level par and had a good finish to his round which should give him momentum going into Friday. He hit a lot of fairways and greens and having had a day on the greens he’s entitled to hole a few more putts. In what has to be considered effectively a two ball with Rory in the state he is in, the talented Japanese youngster looks good value here if it does indeed play out as a two ball competitively as I’d expect. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-open-betting-hideki-matsuyama-can-surprise-the-two-big-names-in-second-round-20130718

Poulter was complaining at the pin positions wasn't he not the speed of the greens. He wasn't the only one. Mickelson shot -2 and still said some pins were harsh. I'm all for tough golf' date=' I prefer it to the silly -20 winning tournaments and things but when you can't get close to a pin even with a good shot because it's placed on the crest of a slope it becomes pretty stupid imo.[/quote'] No m8...he was saying it was easier in the morning,,,which started out at 11 on the greens, pins fine then, tough yes,,but mid to late afternoon, was getting to 13 poss 14, which is Augusta speed, to me that's the luck of the draw, and tomorrow morning will be slower,,so it flips...Its the best n hardest in the world when its sunny, Links golf...However, he aint getting much support off the public, his twitter is getting hammered from the general public,,,nothing to do with him playing poor shots of course..and the windmill quip was so "spitting his dummy" out...Unreal, no respect for the tournament.....

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Poulter is entitled to his opinion. He is the one playing the course. He wasn't the only one. As for his ego, i'd have some ego too if i was a self made hard working multi millionaire with my dream job. People don't seem to get Poulter, i used hate him, i now understand him.

Poulter is entitled to his opinion. He is the one playing the course. He wasn't the only one. As for his ego, i'd have some ego too if i was a self made hard working multi millionaire with my dream job. People don't seem to get Poulter, i used hate him, i now understand him.
Aidy im all for great talents, Im all for hard work....I don't like the Windmill rubbish...Somehow I could never imagine, Tom W, Jack N, Sandy L etc coming out with comments like that, In fact I cant think of a MAJOR winner who would...If there is ever a game were you need to keep a lid on it..Its this one...Poulter had a new putter this week...Maybe he should launch that in the north sea...and keep his Childish comments to himself.

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Poulter and others were definitely complaining about the pin positions, hence the windmill and clown references. I saw a lot of the 8th hole on the interactive feed, and the position was definitely ridiculous. It was almost impossible to miss your putt and stay inside 5 feet, it would just roll away.

Poulter and others were definitely complaining about the pin positions' date=' hence the windmill and clown references. I saw a lot of the 8th hole on the interactive feed, and the position was definitely ridiculous. It was almost impossible to miss your putt and stay inside 5 feet, it would just roll away.[/quote'] But its the same for everyone....12 level or better....and a couple of them had faster conditions than Poulter...n Mickleson...maybe the 2:30pm tee offs today don't inspire them.

Aidy im all for great talents' date=' Im all for hard work....I don't like the Windmill rubbish...Somehow I could never imagine, Tom W, Jack N, Sandy L etc coming out with comments like that, In fact I cant think of a MAJOR winner who would...If there is ever a game were you need to keep a lid on it..Its this one...Poulter had a new putter this week...Maybe he should launch that in the north sea...and keep his Childish comments to himself.[/quote'] He shot +1, which is a very respectable round on this course. Some of the pins were unfair.. the difference between poulter and watson etc, is poulter lives in the modern world, watson is from a different era where respect for everyone is paramount. These days, if something is wrong, people are going to say something. I personally think there is no point complaining though, as you say it is the same for everyone

Could this be when Lee Westwood finally nails a major? Really fancy him he's got himself in a really good position i know there is two rounds to go put if ever he's to win a major surely now is the time.
Completely agree here, played some great stuff yesterday, seems confident and laid back. Schwartzel was also very good yesterday, no chance i'm writing off anyone yet though still some great players in the mix. Some great pair ups to be watching today aswel you've got Woods-Westwood, Poulter-Watson, Scott-Schwartzel. Interested to see how Jimenez and Laird get on aswel!

Re: British Open~18th-21st July I would be happy to still back anyone within 6 or 7 shots so those at +4 can make a move today, and all you need is to be around level par going into tomorrow unless the leaders come back to the field even more I left out Jiminez as he was on my list and i did him 1st rdf leader instead as i never feel he will go the distance although until he fails, the 175/1 will haunt me !

I would be happy to still back anyone within 6 or 7 shots so those at +4 can make a move today, and all you need is to be around level par going into tomorrow unless the leaders come back to the field even more I left out Jiminez as he was on my list and i did him 1st rdf leader instead as i never feel he will go the distance although until he fails, the 175/1 will haunt me !
No!!!!and me....:sad...Still we have a couple running for us in the outright...:hope

No!!!!and me....:sad...Still we have a couple running for us in the outright...:hope
primevil, i'm still quite happy with the best, to be thereabouts at the moment is good. I went & had a bit on Stenson today also if he holds it together. 10/1 I'm out later but taping the last 4 hrs t watch tonight

Re: British Open~18th-21st July a few interesting bets for the last day Adam Scott to win open championship 15/2 skybet i have a feeling he can win this he is not far off the lead and also he always seems play great in the majors also he has already one a major this year so he knows how to win one of these championships Hunter Mahan to win open championship 8/1 skybet a player who is always there in the majors he has got the game to win this also he nearly won the us open so is in form Angel Cabrera to win the open championship 28/1 skybet i think nearly every major he competes in he is always near the top of the leaderboard and is consistant in the big tournament also a winner of two majors dont bet against him winning another one Mark o meara top senior 7/2 skybet plays well on links courses and he is playing well also has won an open on this type of course so is familar with conditions Lehman to beat B Watson in 2 ball 7/4 skybet it seems to me that he is playing the better golf on these courses also with his experience round the green i feel he do better than his opponent

Lee westwood I have always said is the Jimmy White of golf' date=' lacks bottle whwn required the most at one point today 3 shots up lost all three in the space of two holes.[/quote'] I think thats a way to harsh to be fair he was three shots up had a bogey in his next two holes and Tiger birdied one of them for the 3 shot swing & he played the back nine in -1 that was 3 & 4 shots better than his first two rounds. Tomorrow will tell if he has the bottle its his to lose now IMO and if he doesn't win it he find it very hard to win a major in his career IMO C'mon Lee Westwood its your time :hope

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Ted, White I mean Westwood! has more previous than jack the ripper in near misses in majors, Mickelson was the same until he won but I do not see the same desire with westwood, he seesm to have a DILLIGAF attitude ( Do I Look Like I Give A ****) never seems to be too bothered if he misses out I agree if he doesn't close out tomorrow then he WILL be the Jimmy White of golf!

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Hello guys , first ever post , i've got a feeling Adam Scott will nick it. He is playing solid , he's got the experience now of winning a major , he will not bottle it, we'll leave that to Westwood haha , Scotts got Tigers ex-caddie and he'll keep'em at bay , $6.50 Sportsbet to win it. a total score of par could even win it. A solid final round and he can nick it.