** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

British Open~18th-21st July

Tedthewolf

Re: British Open~18th-21st July I'm not so sure there will be a 64 scored in round 1. No matter what the weather is like, it is still going to be very windy, it is always windy at Muirfield.. Conditions were superb for the opening round in 2002, and the best first round score was a 67.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Couple of each way bets for me... Ernie Els @ 33's Defending champion and defending course champion. Is clearly well suited to this tournament and arrives here in good form. Webb Simpson @ 80's I think he will relish the very different to normal conditions. Has a game well suited to this course IMO and could go well at a big price.

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Continuing with my selections English trio - Poulter / Westwood / Donald Rather than waste this as 1 selection, i've decided to just split the stake for 1 bet across 3 english golfers - all of which i feel could win an Open. Poulter especially seems to perform well in Open's and can be relied upon to hit a decent score early on. His best majors are listed below. [TABLE=class: infobox vcard, width: 25]

[TR] [TH=bgcolor: #ACE1AF, colspan: 2, align: center]Best results in Major Championships[/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TH]Masters Tournament[/TH] [TD]7th: 2012[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]U.S. Open[/TH] [TD]T12: 2006[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]The Open Championship[/TH] [TD]2nd: 2008[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]PGA Championship[/TH] [TD]T3: 2012[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Westwood is the nearly man as we know and has now changed coach to better his game. Looks like he has put the podge back on again after working out to get a slimmer figure last year. [TABLE=class: infobox vcard, width: 25] [TR] [TH=bgcolor: #ACE1AF, colspan: 2, align: center]Best results in Major Championships [/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TH]Masters Tournament[/TH] [TD]2nd: 2010[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]U.S. Open[/TH] [TD]3rd/T3: 2008, 2011[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]The Open Championship[/TH] [TD]2nd: 2010[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]PGA Championship[/TH] [TD]T3: 2009[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Luke Donald has had another great year in the US and has the game to win here. He has to believe he can win and sink those putts [TABLE=class: infobox vcard, width: 25] [TR] [TH=bgcolor: #ACE1AF, colspan: 2, align: center]Best results in Major Championships [/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TH]Masters Tournament[/TH] [TD]T3: 2005[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]U.S. Open[/TH] [TD]T8: 2013[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]The Open Championship[/TH] [TD]T5: 2009, 2012[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]PGA Championship[/TH] [TD]T3: 2012[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Betfair odds, and split the stake 3 ways rather than waste 3 seperate bets Poulter 60.0 Westwood 32.0 Donald 34.0

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Charl Schwartzel I have backed Charl in the last few years and felt he should have won it when falling away with 1 bad round in 2010 & 2011 when T14 and T16. In the US this year, has only missed 1 cut and has hit the top 20 in half of the tournaments played. Major's best form: [TABLE=class: infobox vcard, width: 25]

[TR] [TH=bgcolor: #ACE1AF, colspan: 2, align: center]Best results in Major Championships (Wins: 1)[/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TH]Masters Tournament[/TH] [TD]Won: 2011[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]U.S. Open[/TH] [TD]T9: 2011[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]The Open Championship[/TH] [TD]T14: 2010[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]PGA Championship[/TH] [TD]T12: 2011[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Betfair odds 44.0 Stewart Cink Former winner is overpriced @ 200/1 in my opinion. He hasn't set the world alight this year but 4 top 20's is ok and has proven before when winning in 2009 that he can play links golf. Also played well here in 2002 hitting 2 rounds of 69 before a disastrous 80 when the weather worsened. [TABLE=class: infobox vcard, width: 25] [TR] [TH=bgcolor: #ACE1AF, colspan: 2, align: center]Best results in Major Championships (Wins: 1)[/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TH]Masters Tournament[/TH] [TD]T3: 2008[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]U.S. Open[/TH] [TD]3rd: 2001[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]The Open Championship[/TH] [TD]Won: 2009[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]PGA Championship[/TH] [TD]T3: 1999[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Best odds 200/1 Betfred 1st 6 places That concludes 6 bets in total for me. Henrik Stenson came close to the final 6 so may still add him along the way Now for the 1st rd leader market!!!

Re: British Open~18th-21st July 1st round leader Difficult to produce enough reasoning for a good 1st round but i know these have done it before so happy to play with these 5 for small stakes for interest Z Johnson 90/1 SJ (95.0 Betfair) M A Jimenez 125/1 Sky (120.0 Betfair) C Schwartzel 50/1 Ladbrokes (55.0 Betfair) R Mcilroy 33/1 Sky (34.0 Betfair) D Johnson 50/1 Sky (50.0 Betfair) Good luck all

Re: British Open~18th-21st July

There is one man in your list that I really fancy Bowles, Matt Kuchar. The good weather will make this very open! Although looking at some of the practise round today, it was very windy.. Kuchar was 9th in the Open last year, he knows how to play the links game better than most Americans. Lets look at his record in majors past 4 years: Masters : 8th, 3rd, 27th, 24th US Open : 28th, 27th, 14th, 6th British Open : 9th, MC, 27th USPGA : MC, 19th, 10th Top 10's : 5/14 Made Cut : 12/14 Deffo has too much talent not to win a major IMO. At around 50/1 he is very tempting.
aidy cover yourself with the 18/1 Stan James are offering (amongst others) for Kuchar to be top american, always an inflated price due to Woods / Mickleson Its a decent price if he is 50's to win overall

It's not an inflated price , when you take woods form this year and previously into account it's the right price. Harrington is massive unders at 70s should be 150s the way he is swinging it. I don't care about his previous major wins because he is not capable of winning a tournament let alone a major. Will add a few selections if I get time later. Three Americans besides woods that have the best chance are Dustin , Snedeker and Webb Simpson. All are long and can play a variety of different shots. All 3 of them have been contending in majors with Webb obviously winning the us open last year. The main bet I wanna have is on a South African to win which I'll have a look at and post bets up after.

It's not an inflated price ' date=' when you take woods form this year and previously into account it's the right price. Harrington is massive unders at 70s should be 150s the way he is swinging it. I don't care about his previous major wins because he is not capable of winning a tournament let alone a major. Will add a few selections if I get time later. Three Americans besides woods that have the best chance are Dustin , Snedeker and Webb Simpson. All are long and can play a variety of different shots. All 3 of them have been contending in majors with Webb obviously winning the us open last year. The main bet I wanna have is on a South African to win which I'll have a look at and post bets up after.[/quote'] Dustin Johnson does not have the mentality to win a major. That is my opinion anyways, and I stand to be proved wrong. I do agree that Kuchar 18/1 to be top american is inflated, as he can finish 10th and the bet still wins if there are no Americans ahead of him. Harrington, i fully agree with you. I wouldnt back him if i got 250/1, never mind 70/1. No chance! By the way, long is surely a disadvantage on this course? You will seldom see the driver out on a lot of holes.. You can't take on this course, or it will eat you up, have to hit the fairways.

Looking forward to this. 0.5 E/W LOUIS OOSTHUIZEN 55/1 PP 1-7 0.5 E/W CHARLES SCHWARTZEL 40/1 PP 1-7 0.5 E/W SHANE LOWRY 100/1 PP 1-7 0.5 E/W IAN POULTER 50/1 PP 1-7 Reasoning later may add Westwood if he drifts to 33's.
No McIlroy Ted? aT 28/1 ? :p

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Agree with you Aidy. Have to hit fairways this week. I've seen pictures of the rough being waist high and I'm sure all golf fans remember Gary Evans losing his ball on 17 here in 2002 which cost him a shot at it. Rough is brutal this week. Tournament preview: 2pts ew G.McDowell to win The Open 25/1 Paddy Power (1/4 1-7) I like the look of Graeme McDowell this week. In his last eight tournaments McDowell has either won or missed the cut. He has won three times, including around the very tough Paris National course a couple of weeks ago. That course was similar in set up to this in that the rough was penal. McDowell is very familiar with links golf and had a great chance of winning this tournament last year. He can make amends this week. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-open-betting-graeme-mcdowell-can-land-another-major-up-at-muirfield-20130717

sorry im new to golf betting...just wanted to know how common hole in one are? do u have one every year or something? i know its a stupid question hehe
That bus has gone...long gone m8, there were some clever people in the early 80's.....STATO...off the telly in particular...who took them to the cleaners on hole in one betting...Ladbrokes, still feel the pain every time you mention it..:rollin..Seriousley they used to offer 66..50...40..For a hole in 1 at a major champ.....for the whole comp....your lucky to get 7/2 now.....The value is long gone m8,,leave it alone..:ok

That bus has gone...long gone m8' date=' there were some clever people in the early 80's.....STATO...off the telly in particular...who took them to the cleaners on hole in one betting...Ladbrokes, still feel the pain every time you mention it..:rollin..Seriousley they used to offer 66..50...40..For a hole in 1 at a major champ.....for the whole comp....your lucky to get 7/2 now.....The value is long gone m8,,leave it alone..:ok[/quote'] Yup leave the hole in 1 alone is correct mate. The Par 3's range from 180 yards to 225 yards, on a links course where you can't get back spin on the ball. Forget about it. By the way, MASSIVE value on the market. Hole in One : Yes = 8/11 Hole In One : No = 11/10 I'd take the 11/10 all day long.

Yup leave the hole in 1 alone is correct mate. The Par 3's range from 180 yards to 225 yards, on a links course where you can't get back spin on the ball. Forget about it. By the way, MASSIVE value on the market. Hole in One : Yes = 8/11 Hole In One : No = 11/10 I'd take the 11/10 all day long.
Did not realize it had gone that low...amazing....your right about the 11/10 imo.

Cant wait for this to start, having a few stabs at decent prices; Mickleson looks in good nick after last weeks tournament and has prepared right, Scott is a class act these days and always turns up in the major championships. Colsaerts is way too big at 70/1, he can play long and short and should go well while Bjorn has the experience in the big events and is palying very well at the minute. Selections: 1pt Phil Mickelson 20/1

Coral 1pt EW Adam Scott 22/1 >William Hill (7 places) 1pt EW Nicolas Colsaerts 70/1 >Paddy Power (7 places) 1pt EW Thomas Bjorn 80/1 >Paddy Power (7 places) Full Preview: British Open Golf Betting: Colsaerts looks decent value to deliver at Muirfield On the above players also backed in the following markets; Mickelson: Top American 7/1 Betfred Scott : Top Australasian 11/10 Hills Colsearts : Top Cont. European 12/1 Paddy Power Bjorn : Top Scandinavian 9/2 Bet365

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Dunno if it is of interest to anyone but a pal of mine has noticed Bet 365 allow you to multi-up 'to miss the cut' selections. If you have a couple of old boys you are confident will miss the cut then you can bang them in and perm various other players to form the last legs of an acca. Potential big returns from modest outlays. Other firms won't allow multi's in these markets but Bet 365 have done. With regards to tournament outrights, I've backed Branden Grace at 125/1 down to 66/1, currently 66/1 in places, and to be first round leader at 70/1 with Stan James and 6/1 to make the top ten with William Hill. Will admit I know little about golf and am learning, but he performed creditably at the recent Scottish Open, for which he was 45/1, taking Phil Mickelson to a sudden death playoff. 25 years old, he turned pro in 2007. He lacks the major form of the principals, but arrives in decent form. Grace has used the Scottish Open to home his links game, and seems to come on favourably in the putting stats.

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Top American player preview: 1pt ew B.Snedeker Top American Player 14/1 BetVictor (1/4 1-4) One man who hits it very straight is Brandt Snedeker. Snedeker will feel that he should have won a major this year already having contended very strongly at The Masters but he has the game to go well here. He was third in this tournament last year which shows he can play links golf and with the way he hits fairways and greens, not to mention his wonderful putting stroke and good short game I would expect Snedeker to be one of the best Americans this week. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-open-betting-brandt-snedeker-can-lead-the-challenge-from-across-the-pond-20130717 (Also had 1pt ew on Snedeker outright at 45/1 with Paddy Power for 7 places)

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Top South Africa player preview: 2pts ew B.Grace Top South African Player 13/2 Betfred (1/5 1-3) One player I’ve had my eye on for a while in this tournament is Branden Grace. He is a very good links course player. Two of his five wins have come on links courses and he was a runner up at Castle Stuart last week. Grace has a font of knowledge and experience on the bag this week in Billy Foster and given that he is hitting the ball so well and so cleanly, and has found a nice rhythm for the short stick I think he could go all the way, but most definitely he can be the top South African this week. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-open-betting-branden-grace-looks-good-value-to-be-the-top-south-african-at-muirfield-20130717 (Also backed Grace outright at 60/1 with Paddy Power for 7 places)

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Tournament outsiders preview: 0.5pts ew M.Laird to win The Open 100/1 Paddy Power (1/4 1-7) One man at a big price who is a straight hitter and an underrated putter is Martin Laird. Laird has already gone well in a big tournament this year at the Players Championship and while most of his golf is played in America these days, when he arrives at the links he can be a genuine threat. He has gone well at the Dunhill Links in the past and he had a good run in the Scottish Open last week. If his short stick plays ball this week Laird can go well at a three figure price. 0.5pts ew G.DeLaet to win The Open 200/1 Paddy Power (1/4 1-7) Nobody hits more greens in regulation on the PGA Tour than Graham DeLaet and if he can do that this week then he has every chance of going well. He has five top 10’s on the PGA Tour this year and has a decent putting technique so there’s no reason why he shouldn’t go well on this golf course. Accuracy is key and he has it so he’s worth a little punt at a big three figure price. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-open-betting-martin-laird-and-graham-delaet-hit-straight-enough-to-contend-at-big-prices-20130717

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Top Scandinavian preview: 1pt ew M.Ilonen Top Scandinavian Player 9/1 Skybet Mikko Ilonen has been playing some fine golf this year which hit a peak when he won the Scandinavian Masters, in a decent field it has to be said. Ilonen is a straight hitter with a very good short game and he should go well around this golf course. He has a good touch, good imagination and if Stenson does hit a flat spot, Ilonen could be the one to capitalise. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-open-betting-mikko-ilonen-can-surprise-the-swedes-and-the-danes-at-muirfield-20130717