** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

British Open~18th-21st July

Tedthewolf

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: British Open~18th-21st July 0.5 E/W LOUIS OOSTHUIZEN 55/1 PP 1-7 Former winner of this course will suit has already had a win on the board this year & generally playing well. 0.5 E/W CHARLES SCHWARTZEL 40/1 PP 1-7 In really good consistent form this year, has already a major winner & another who will like the course. I really think the two South Africans will be dangerous this week. 0.5 E/W SHANE LOWRY 100/1 PP 1-7~ Won the Irish open as an ameture & went well in it this year can be a bit hit and miss but could make that price look very silly if on his A game. 0.5 E/W IAN POULTER 50/1 PP 1-7~Wouldn't be my most favourite player on the tour seem to have red hot streak followed by an ice cold run in his rounds too inconsistent, unless it match play where i have to admit he is awesome. Imo if he ever wins a major it will be the british open. If he gets in contention here on the last day and get in the zone with a british crowd behind him he just might win it!

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Erm, doesn't the ashes go on for more than a month? Boring ol crap that it is :loon I am in disbelief at any sports fan who would rather watch some eejits throw a ball at a bat the width of a table for a month, over the british open.

Re: British Open~18th-21st July

Golf on tv for me and cricket on the radio, Can't wait for the golf just hope it's a good test
If the weather stays the way it is, you'd have to think -10 or -11 will win the Open this year.

I am in disbelief at any sports fan who would rather watch some eejits throw a ball at a bat the width of a table for a month' date=' over the british open.[/quote'] That's what I love about you, Aidy :)

Erm, doesn't the ashes go on for more than a month? Boring ol crap that it is :loon I am in disbelief at any sports fan who would rather watch some eejits throw a ball at a bat the width of a table for a month, over the british open.
Cricket being called more boring than golf, I've heard it all now. Being a boring c*nt myself, I love watching them both. Dont mind them clashing, sky player the cricket on the laptop with the golf on tv, quality.

Cricket being called more boring than golf, I've heard it all now. Being a boring c*nt myself, I love watching them both. Dont mind them clashing, sky player the cricket on the laptop with the golf on tv, quality.
Well my point really is... The cricket is on for a month. Surely to be jaysus people can watch the golf for the 4 days, then go back and concentrate on the paralympic baseball

Re: British Open~18th-21st July Branden Grace first round leader 55/1 skybet he is playing well and also likes links golf so he should play well at the open Nicolas Colsaerts first round leader 50/1 skybet ive always been impressed with him and had good tounament at the scottish open so he is in form Rory Mcilroy first round leader 33/1 skybet playing in the morning so he is going to get better conditions Tiger Woods first round leader 18/1 paddy power only played here once but will be fired up because he wants to win another major Rickie Fowler first round leader 50/1 skybet great ball striking and is suited to these courses Ernie Els first round leader 33/1 skybet knows this course and is playing well of late Mikko Ilonen first round leader 80/1 skybet plays well on links coures also playing well players to miss cut Padraig Harrington 7/4 skybet Woods and McIlroy 25/1 paddy power

Well my point really is... The cricket is on for a month. Surely to be jaysus people can watch the golf for the 4 days' date=' then go back and concentrate on the paralympic baseball[/quote'] You should go fishing more often AIDY...Just depends on the bait....I just tilted my head, and swam past....:ok

Re: British Open~18th-21st July i do try to look deep into these tournaments, interesting stats include the fact that debut winners are few & far between (last one was Ben Curtis) and the average winner has participated in 8 or more Open's, and is over 32 years old. Golfers entering the tournament on a win also rarely follow up by winning this one Over 8 years experience as a pro is also key 1st time Major winners are not uncommon so dont be put off by a player having not won a major Previous course experience seems to also go down well, Muirfield was last used in 2002 but worth checking who was in the field that year and who played well my not -so shortlist Thomas Bjorn 8th in 2002 Stewart Cink shot 2 x 69's in 2002 (position was worsened by a 3rd rd 80) Darren Clarke 37th in 2002 Fred Couples had a great record in the 90's, only played in 5 Opens since 2000 Luke Donald 2 top 10's in last 4 years Ernie Els won in 2002 & 2013, 9 top 10's in last 13 years, a phenomenal record Sergio Garcia 8th in 2002, 6 top 10's in 13 years Peter Hanson Padriag Harrington won in 2007/8, and 5th here in 2002 Fedrik Jacobson M A Jiminez Robert Karlsson MAtt Kuchar Justin Leonard CArl Petterson Ian Poulter Justin Rose Charl Schwartzel Adam Scott Henrik Stenson Nick Watney Lee Westwood Tiger Woods will whittle down tomorrow to 6 or 7 bets

Re: British Open~18th-21st July My 1st 3 selections Nick Watney 32 years old, has had a reasonable season with only 4 out of 18 missed cuts. 6 top 20 finishes and tied 13th in US Masters. Turned pro 2003. 5 PGA Tour wins. Best performances in Major's:- [TABLE=class: infobox vcard, width: 25]

[TR] [TH]Masters Tournament[/TH] [TD]7th: 2010[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]U.S. Open[/TH] [TD]T21: 2012[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]The Open Championship[/TH] [TD]T7: 2010[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]PGA Championship[/TH] [TD]T12: 2011[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Best odds 125/1 BetVictor 1st 8 places. Carl Petterson Age 35, 5 PGA tour wins. Missed 3 cuts in 20 tournaments this season but remains capable of going close in a major as per 2012 effort in US PGA. [TABLE=class: infobox vcard, width: 25] [TR] [TH=bgcolor: #ACE1AF, colspan: 2, align: center]Best results in Major Championships [/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TH]Masters Tournament[/TH] [TD]T27: 2006[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]U.S. Open[/TH] [TD]T6: 2008[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]The Open Championship[/TH] [TD]T8: 2006[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]PGA Championship[/TH] [TD]T3: 2012[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Best odds 200/1 Paddy Power 1st 7 places Thomas Bjorn Age 42. 13 European Tour wins. 6 top 10's this season and has really found his form again on the course. 8th at Muirfield in 2002. 2 second place finishes in this tournament. [TABLE=class: infobox vcard, width: 25] [TR] [TH=bgcolor: #ACE1AF, colspan: 2, align: center]Best results in Major Championships [/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TH]Masters Tournament[/TH] [TD]T18: 2002[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]U.S. Open[/TH] [TD]T22: 2001[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]The Open Championship[/TH] [TD]T2: 2000, 2003[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TH]PGA Championship[/TH] [TD]T2: 2005[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Best odds 66/1 Paddy Power 1st 7 places

i do try to look deep into these tournaments, interesting stats include the fact that debut winners are few & far between (last one was Ben Curtis) and the average winner has participated in 8 or more Open's, and is over 32 years old. Golfers entering the tournament on a win also rarely follow up by winning this one Over 8 years experience as a pro is also key 1st time Major winners are not uncommon so dont be put off by a player having not won a major Previous course experience seems to also go down well, Muirfield was last used in 2002 but worth checking who was in the field that year and who played well my not -so shortlist Thomas Bjorn 8th in 2002 Stewart Cink shot 2 x 69's in 2002 (position was worsened by a 3rd rd 80) Darren Clarke 37th in 2002 Fred Couples had a great record in the 90's, only played in 5 Opens since 2000 Luke Donald 2 top 10's in last 4 years Ernie Els won in 2002 & 2013, 9 top 10's in last 13 years, a phenomenal record Sergio Garcia 8th in 2002, 6 top 10's in 13 years Peter Hanson Padriag Harrington won in 2007/8, and 5th here in 2002 Fedrik Jacobson M A Jiminez Robert Karlsson MAtt Kuchar Justin Leonard CArl Petterson Ian Poulter Justin Rose Charl Schwartzel Adam Scott Henrik Stenson Nick Watney Lee Westwood Tiger Woods will whittle down tomorrow to 6 or 7 bets
There is one man in your list that I really fancy Bowles, Matt Kuchar. The good weather will make this very open! Although looking at some of the practise round today, it was very windy.. Kuchar was 9th in the Open last year, he knows how to play the links game better than most Americans. Lets look at his record in majors past 4 years: Masters : 8th, 3rd, 27th, 24th US Open : 28th, 27th, 14th, 6th British Open : 9th, MC, 27th USPGA : MC, 19th, 10th Top 10's : 5/14 Made Cut : 12/14 Deffo has too much talent not to win a major IMO. At around 50/1 he is very tempting.

Bowles I was quite keen on Bjorn myself but he withdrew last week with a neck injury. Do you know if that was just precautionary or if there is more to it?
I followed Bjorn around in the Irish Open and although he played reasonably well, anytime he took the driver out, when walking up the fairway, he sometimes had his hand on his neck.. I think he has this neck injury on and off for a number of years, so it would be very worrying if you have money down on him.

Bowles I was quite keen on Bjorn myself but he withdrew last week with a neck injury. Do you know if that was just precautionary or if there is more to it?
Likewise. Hasn't Billy Foster taken Grace's bag for a few weeks too? Suggests Bjorn isn't around this week?

Re: British Open~18th-21st July He was on Westwood's bag last year but then got injured playing football and Westwood went with his current caddy. Foster was definitely on Bjorn's bag in Germany recently but like you say he's now on Grace's bag.

Re: British Open~18th-21st July 1pt Padraig Harrington E/W 7 places 70/1 Bet365 It might seem a long shot but given the right conditions and a burst of confidence or form and 70/1 will look very decent.He missed out on a playoff here in 2002 after a bogey on the final hole.He will win more golf tournaments eventually and why not this tournament that he's won twice in the past 6 years.Certainly looks more promising when 2 of his fellow golfers Alaistair Forsyth and Jim Furyk have tipped him to challenge this week.

i can see a decent set of 1st round scores to be honest' date=' as low as 64 65 on the 1st day. Just looking at that market also for some bets along with the usual outrights on winner and also by country/continent[/quote'] On board with your idea here bowles. I suppose it really depends on the strength of the wind and possibly the tees times. An accurate weather report is a must.