** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Pre-season friendlies

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Pre-season friendlies Bet365 have already priced up a generous selection of matches this week. Orient go to Chelmsford City, where Dean Holdsworth is still putting together a squad (only ten on the books so far). Given that the home side will be triallist-heavy, there's probably most mileage in a HT-FT Orient, though I won't be playing. Southend have games Tuesday and Wednesday, so it's worth keeping and eye on what sort of squad they are sending to Bishop's Stortford on Tuesday as they may send the first team to Braintree on Wednesday. Carlisle United, who've already played twice, looked more than a match for a much-changed Workington, who have played once so far, but once again no bet for me until some of the more esoteric markets appear.

Re: Pre-season friendlies Carlisle-Carlisle HT-FT is available at 6/5 at Bet365 tomorrow and I've bitten on that. To be fair Carlisle, haven't been outstanding in the games against Penrith and Kendal but two games in the legs means a lot. Worko are much changed from last season with a big chunk of the squad having been lured away to Celtic Nation, and I reckon they'll be heavy on the triallists, as they were against Annan on Saturday.

Re: Pre-season friendlies It looks like Southend are sending strong squads to Bishop's Stortford and Braintree tonight and tomorrow, with a 60/30 minute split for players across both games. This makes it a no bet for me, or at least it's not worth betting on the home side tonight.

Re: Pre-season friendlies Didn't think there would be betting on Dulwich v Dagenham tonight but it is Dulwich's first game and Dagenham's 3rd and they have won the first two pretty easily. Would imagine it will be more of the same tonight. Dagenham ht/ft looks the obvious bet to have.

Re: Pre-season friendlies Swindon go away to Forest Green on Friday. Cant find any odds yet. They have cut the playing budget dramatically and lost a lot of first teamers from last year and are still throwing a lot of mud at the wall in search of signings. Swindon lost 2-0 to Banbury last week. Depending on the price and Forest Green line-up might be worth backing Forest Green. I see forest green are one of the bookies favourites for the conference. Was surprised by that. Maybe someone can tell why?

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Swindon go away to Forest Green on Friday. Cant find any odds yet. They have cut the playing budget dramatically and lost a lot of first teamers from last year and are still throwing a lot of mud at the wall in search of signings. Swindon lost 2-0 to Banbury last week. Depending on the price and Forest Green line-up might be worth backing Forest Green. I see forest green are one of the bookies favourites for the conference. Was surprised by that. Maybe someone can tell why?
Looks like a very decent spot on Friday's game, Swindonfan. FGR have been investing heavily for a couple of seasons now and have a competitive budget and an excellent squad, and it's no surprise they are up there in the betting. Personally, I think they need a manager who can balance the resources more efficiently and change things when they aren't going well, but summer signings have been good and man for man they look a match for anyone else. They beat Brimscombe & Thrupp 6-0 last night - a Hellenic Prem side, I think - into which you can't read much but a game under their belt is important.

Re: Pre-season friendlies Bet365 are offering 6/5 on Gateshead at Barrow tonight. There's some value in that, I think, even though the Gateshead squad have been yomping up some Cumbria hills this week and are probably feeling the effects. They looked decent enough against Partick on Saturday (a 2-1 win), and the squad and triallists will be kept keen by the fact that the club has signalled its intent to spend more before the summer is out (a bid for Karl Ledsham has been rejected by Southport). Barrow are on a big rebuild with just eight players on the books so far. Saturday's 1-0 loss to a local XI was pretty embarrassing, however, even given that Gareth Arnison and Shelton Payne - two excellent performers - were missing, and a couple of lads also missed the game because of traffic delays. It'll be a stronger starting XI tonight but there will be a lot of triallists involved for Barrow, and even given the variables of friendlies Gateshead should be a touch shorter.

Swindon go away to Forest Green on Friday. Cant find any odds yet. They have cut the playing budget dramatically and lost a lot of first teamers from last year and are still throwing a lot of mud at the wall in search of signings. Swindon lost 2-0 to Banbury last week. Depending on the price and Forest Green line-up might be worth backing Forest Green. I see forest green are one of the bookies favourites for the conference. Was surprised by that. Maybe someone can tell why?
i dont have a great deal to add. Swindon are evens Forest Green are just above 4.0 on Betfair. A couple of Swindons new signings dont have clearance to play yet and Kevin Macdonald has said Swindon will be taking the game seriousley because it is a benchmark. Swindon will be including around 3 trialists. foderingham will probably be in goal because Bedwell started the last game. There may be some value backing forest Green but I dont know if they are including any trialists or how strong their lineup will be.

Re: Pre-season friendlies It's looking like a strong FGR line-up, with the inevitable rotation of subs. They've only a single game under the belt so far, but they have been in pre-season earlier than most clubs and drilling hard, and they've a real chance tonight, I think. Though Swindon are favourites, I can't see figure them at this mark and you are right to highlight an excellent price - I don't understand the drift in FGR's price at all.

It's looking like a strong FGR line-up' date=' with the inevitable rotation of subs. They've only a single game under the belt so far, but they have been in pre-season earlier than most clubs and drilling hard, and they've a real chance tonight, I think. Though Swindon are favourites, I can't see figure them at this mark and you are right to highlight an excellent price - I don't understand the drift in FGR's price at all.[/quote'] Swindon has perhaps got the Pool syndrome. Huge public favourites because they was good until di Canio left them.

Swindon has perhaps got the Pool syndrome. Huge public favourites because they was good until di Canio left them.
Yes. i think that was true. Anyway now kevin Macdonald is going walkabout. http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindontown/news/10546179.No_MacDonald_at_Forest_Green/ Swindon have a new bloke on the board Lee Power and he seems to be meddling in transfers and football matters and looks like Kevin Mac has had enough.

Re: Pre-season friendlies Gosport Borough are at AFC Totton tonight and are moderate value at 5/4 (Hills, BetFred). Both sides have visited Blackfield & Langley in their only pre-season game so far and both ran out 3-1 winners, but it's Totton who are having the more difficult summer. In fact, their summer has been so bad that even getting a side out is something of a triumph. They ended last season with a string of unpaid bills and have been flirting with going under, and that has meant a lot of their talented squad has departed (including Mike Gosney and Gareth Barfoot to Gosport). With Jamie Whisken, Richard Gillespie and Carl Petterfer gone to Poole Town, there are very few of last year's starting XI left, although Dave Allen played against B&L and Nathan Sherborne returned from his season-long injury. Manager Steve Riley is also staying, which is pretty commendable on the peppercorn wages they are supposed to be paying. Promoted Gosport have done well to bring in Sam Pearce and Paul Hinshelwood from Havant and Andy Forbes from Eastleigh, and look to have a decent chance of retaining Conference South status. This price would be about right for a Southern Prem game played last January, but the trajectories of both clubs since then have been very different.

Re: Pre-season friendlies North Ferriby-Hull AH-2 @1.77 4/10 ladbrokes North Ferriby are just promoted to the 6th division. Very poor team. Hull are a Premier League team now, did some good signings. Line is definitely too low for these differences between both sides. Maybe the bookies are thinking that Hull play a porr or mixed side, with them having also another match with Winterton today. But they have a tradition with playing these two fixtures. They normally sent their youth/reserves to Winterton while turning up with their best side at North Ferriby. Line is too low, would be fair if North Ferriby were a 4th tier team. GL

North Ferriby-Hull AH-2 @1.77 4/10 ladbrokes North Ferriby are just promoted to the 6th division. Very poor team. Hull are a Premier League team now, did some good signings. Line is definitely too low for these differences between both sides. Maybe the bookies are thinking that Hull play a porr or mixed side, with them having also another match with Winterton today. But they have a tradition with playing these two fixtures. They normally sent their youth/reserves to Winterton while turning up with their best side at North Ferriby. Line is too low, would be fair if North Ferriby were a 4th tier team. GL
Interesting because in the paper yesterday it turns out North Ferriby and Hull are very close and probably one of the reasons they got promoted.

Re: Pre-season friendlies Hull handicap bets look good but I think the value may be gone now. Bet365 and Bet Victor had -2 asian at 1.95 but have closed the market now. Lat season hull fielded a weak lineup and Ferriby won 3-2. I probably wont get involved because Hull fly to portugal tomorrow so that may be a distraction and for many north Ferriby players this is the game of their lives to play against Premier league international players. Red Devil - Man utd under 19s play club Brugge tonight. Man U priced at 6.5 still seems a big price to me even though its the youths. What do you think?

for many north Ferriby players this is the game of their lives to play against Premier league international players.
And for some of them it's a chance to get their own back on the club that let them go at some point in the last decade! To pick up on addpea's point, the two clubs have always been close as there isn't much in the way of good-standard non-league football in East Yorkshire, and there always has been a certain exchange of personnel (Dean Windass started at Ferriby). The report in the Non League Paper yesterday says that the financial support for Ferriby by the Assams happened "late last year" but it actually started not long after Ferriby lost their main sponsor in the summer of 2011.

So did Hull or North Ferriby win the friendly last year as we have two different results?
Hull City won the friendly. The 3-2 defeat was in the East Riding cup late season - given what Hull City's first team had on their plate in April they can be forgiven for sending a shadow side, though Mark Cullen played.

Hull handicap bets look good but I think the value may be gone now. Bet365 and Bet Victor had -2 asian at 1.95 but have closed the market now. Lat season hull fielded a weak lineup and Ferriby won 3-2. I probably wont get involved because Hull fly to portugal tomorrow so that may be a distraction and for many north Ferriby players this is the game of their lives to play against Premier league international players. Red Devil - Man utd under 19s play club Brugge tonight. Man U priced at 6.5 still seems a big price to me even though its the youths. What do you think?
Hi mate,I just saw it by now. Man Utd have lost some U21 players and others are on tour with the seniors. Wouldn't touch the U19.