** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Ashes

kevshat

Re: The Ashes Few more to go with the England win. 4pts B.Haddin's Performance Pts - 95&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. Brad Haddin was one of the Australian's who came out of the first test with his head held high. In performance terms he scored 132 points but his second innings of 71 runs almost got Australia home. I would expect him to go just as well in this match. When Australia played England here in 2009, Haddin made a knock of 80 on his way to a total of 138pts so he has history at Lords. I expect him to score runs here and take catches. The slope should help the bowlers find the thin edges which Haddin can pouch while he is more than good enough technically to deal with that and score a few runs. With the likes of Watson and Agar bowling he might get a stumping along the way as well so this 95pt target is well within his reach. 3pts No six on Day 1 Evs Sportingbet There has been four tests since a six was hit on the opening day of a test match at Lords and there's no obvious reason while that will change here as the two bowling attacks are good enough to keep their opposing batting line up under pressure. The only six we saw on the opening day at Trent Bridge was when Steve Smith came down the wicket and surprised Swann late in the day but that's a much smaller ground than this one. England only really have Pietersen as a genuine test match six hitter these days and if Australia lose a couple of early wickets they may well rein themselves in so that they're not out cheaply again. Obviously a swinging tail ender could scupper the plans but on a normal day of cricket I'm not convinced we'll see a six on the opening day. 3pts C.Rogers to beat J.Root (1st Inns Only) Evs Paddy Power Lords has been Chris Rogers' home ground for the last god knows how many years and he's filled his boots there on a number of occasions for Middlesex, some of them this season, so he should have a good vibe about HQ. Joe Root isn't a regular at Lords and it can take some getting used to and he's still getting used to opening the batting at this level as well. He didn't look as composed as he could have at Trent Bridge and I'm sure he'll be tested with a few full balls coming back down the slope early in his innings in this match. Rogers loves batting here and I think he can outscore Root in the first innings here, like he did the second innings at Trent Bridge. 1pt S.Broad Man of the Match 16/1 Stan James I've already landed this punt on this ground once this season so at the price it's worth going for the double. In two of his last three tests here Broad has 7 wickets in an innings and he also has his career best score with the bat on this ground so it is clearly a ground he enjoys bowling at. He took the Kiwis apart here with a magical spell earlier in the summer so he should have lots of good vibes. I know he's patriotic so meeting the Queen on the opening day should inspire him even more and at 16/1 he's in the game enough to have a genuine shot at the man of the match award here.

Re: The Ashes

Few more to go with the England win. 4pts B.Haddin's Performance Pts - 95&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. Brad Haddin was one of the Australian's who came out of the first test with his head held high. In performance terms he scored 132 points but his second innings of 71 runs almost got Australia home. I would expect him to go just as well in this match. When Australia played England here in 2009, Haddin made a knock of 80 on his way to a total of 138pts so he has history at Lords. I expect him to score runs here and take catches. The slope should help the bowlers find the thin edges which Haddin can pouch while he is more than good enough technically to deal with that and score a few runs. With the likes of Watson and Agar bowling he might get a stumping along the way as well so this 95pt target is well within his reach. 3pts No six on Day 1 Evs Sportingbet There has been four tests since a six was hit on the opening day of a test match at Lords and there's no obvious reason while that will change here as the two bowling attacks are good enough to keep their opposing batting line up under pressure. The only six we saw on the opening day at Trent Bridge was when Steve Smith came down the wicket and surprised Swann late in the day but that's a much smaller ground than this one. England only really have Pietersen as a genuine test match six hitter these days and if Australia lose a couple of early wickets they may well rein themselves in so that they're not out cheaply again. Obviously a swinging tail ender could scupper the plans but on a normal day of cricket I'm not convinced we'll see a six on the opening day. 3pts C.Rogers to beat J.Root (1st Inns Only) Evs Paddy Power Lords has been Chris Rogers' home ground for the last god knows how many years and he's filled his boots there on a number of occasions for Middlesex, some of them this season, so he should have a good vibe about HQ. Joe Root isn't a regular at Lords and it can take some getting used to and he's still getting used to opening the batting at this level as well. He didn't look as composed as he could have at Trent Bridge and I'm sure he'll be tested with a few full balls coming back down the slope early in his innings in this match. Rogers loves batting here and I think he can outscore Root in the first innings here, like he did the second innings at Trent Bridge. 1pt S.Broad Man of the Match 16/1 Stan James I've already landed this punt on this ground once this season so at the price it's worth going for the double. In two of his last three tests here Broad has 7 wickets in an innings and he also has his career best score with the bat on this ground so it is clearly a ground he enjoys bowling at. He took the Kiwis apart here with a magical spell earlier in the summer so he should have lots of good vibes. I know he's patriotic so meeting the Queen on the opening day should inspire him even more and at 16/1 he's in the game enough to have a genuine shot at the man of the match award here.
Broad I have backed, he does perform well there.....Great Shout!

Re: The Ashes FREE MONEY.......LAY AUSTRALIA.............I know 20/1 on Betfair....but I wont ever bet on Cricket again..If they won,,Impossible....300 lead with 7 wickets in hand..I hope they hit 450 by 5pm all out,,,and have 20 overs tonight...Australia should be 1000/1......

Re: The Ashes Cricket is the one game where if you understand the nuances you can back a rank outsider and hedge during play. I did this two summers ago and made a tidy profit. Problem is is that it requires a lot of patience time and timing of bets. If you don't have a job it's a pleasurable past time punting.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The Ashes First Weather.....NO PROBLEM..highley unlikely any weather delays in this test match. NEW PITCH...has been turned, so sunlight does not shine into the eyes of batsmen when setting. Is still likely to be a batting surface, and will be baking hot sunshine on the first day , a very very important toss to win...highly likely whoever wins will bat.

Re: The Ashes 3rd Test preview: 6pts England to win 3rd Test 4/5 Bet365 I’ve seen nothing to suggest England won’t win this match. Dave Warner is going to have to have turned into Don Bradman in his stint in South Africa to turn this Australia batting line up around and I just don’t see that. All series long Australia have struggled against reverse swing and spin. They’ll face both in abundance here and however England line up I expect them to be too good once again. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/england-vs-australia-betting-england-can-win-the-ashes-at-old-trafford

Re: The Ashes I am expecting a 5 day thriller. (Maybe not, but it will be closer i think and the aussies should come out firing). Still think England is the way to go, but sooner or later i expect the aussies to rally and secure a draw somewhere along the line.

Re: The Ashes 4/5 365 n sky bet still...the best trade bet you will ever see...thursday Friday n hopefully Saturday..full days play...the bookies are hoping there will be disruption Sunday..n monday there is a small chance...however I reckon this will be almost over by Saturday night....one hand n three fingers on the little trophy...c'mon ENGLAND...Make the bookies squirm....William hill went evens at the start. To win the ashes...who do they take advice on markets from...?...unreal...just shows when they have an opinion how wrong they are. How much they rely on betfair to make a market.

Re: The Ashes Remaining 3rd Test bets for me. 4pts S.Broad's Performance Pts - Under 110.5pts 5/6 Paddy Power Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket Stuart Broad hasn't had much of an impact in this series so far and I'm not sure this wicket will suit him. He has only taken four of the 40 wickets to fall and the only time he has gone past 35 with the bat he should have been out much earlier but infamously chose not to walk. With that in mind this looks a high total. Realistically he's going to have to double his wicket tally for the series to run this line close and with Swann likely to be a major player in the second innings I don't see that happening so unless he goes ballistic with the bat, and the chances are he'll only bat once anyway, then this total is unlikely to be threatened. 2pts Both teams to bat on Day 1 3/1 Sportingbet With the rain around on the eve of this match there might well be a bit of juice on the wicket but I believe the wicket is cracked already so this one isn't going to play very easily for very long. It might well be that it plays ok for the first day and a half but you could put this Australia side on a road and they'd still be bowled out inside 90 overs. This England side have so far bowled Australia out in 64.5 overs and 53.3 overs in the first innings of the first two tests. England have been 30/3 and 11/2 in three of their four innings in the series so far so the bowlers are dominating the bat so with that in mind and the conditions possibly not being the easiest to bat in I think this 3/1 has a bit of value, value which intensifies if Australia bat first. 2pts Australia's First Dismissal - LBW 4/1 Ladbrokes No idea where this price has come along from but I'll take it. Shane Watson has been the first man back in the hutch on all four occasions in this series so far. He's been lbw on three of those occasions and it is clear for all to see that he plants that front pad down and can't get around it in time. That's a technical flaw that won't be sorted out in a couple of weeks and England aren't even going looking for his edge now, they are honing in on his pads. If he's the first Australian to go then there's a good chance it will be lbw. Rogers has been out lbw in both first innings so far too so that makes this 4/1 look very attractive indeed. 1pt ew U.Khawaja Top Australia Batsman (1st Inns Only) 6/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1-3) I thought Usman Khawaja was one of the few Australian batsmen to come out of the Lords debacle with any credit. He appeared to be playing the spin well overall, certainly compared to his team mates and the pace and bounce in this wicket shouldn't worry as he tends to sit on the back foot so I think conditions will be in the favour of the former Derbyshire man. It isn't very often we get to back a number three at an odds on price, especially in such a weak batting line up. I guess that is because Khawaja's reputation isn't established yet but if he bats like he did at Lords he'll go close here at a perfectly attractive price given the position which he bats.

Re: The Ashes Day 2 of the 3rd test starts today with Australia 303-3. Yesterday was a dry, flat pitch and was ideal for batting but today may be different. A new ball, overcast weather and maybe abit of swing may change England's luck and I like the look of "Australia's 1st innings being under 502.5" @ Evens with Bet365

Re: The Ashes

Day 2 of the 3rd test starts today with Australia 303-3. Yesterday was a dry' date= flat pitch and was ideal for batting but today may be different. A new ball, overcast weather and maybe abit of swing may change England's luck and I like the look of "Australia's 1st innings being under 502.5" @ Evens with Bet365
Im in agreement fader ...425 - 450. IMOIMO

Re: The Ashes I've traded out on everything...at a loss...however just gone deep on the draw..1.7..... This game is a draw 100% for me now....wd Australia in stopping the whitewash....England will retain the ashes....MAY AS WELL STOP THE GAME NOW...England will bat for as long as humanly possible...the weather will kill it on Monday for sure....

Re: The Ashes Can't believe there are no updates after this mornings session. I am laying the Aussies at every opportunity. Everytime we lose a wicket I am laying at 2.44 They have to bowl us out twice to win. Think about it and get on! P

Re: The Ashes 4th test preview: 4pts P.Siddle's Performance Pts - 105&Over 5/6 Bet365 Peter Siddle is Australia’s leading bowler in this series and he has bowled on three wickets which won’t have suited his game thus far so he should enjoy having conditions in his favour in this match. He’ll get swing and he’ll get a bit of nip off the wicket and should go very well. His performance total requires five wickets and some loose runs and I think that is well within his capabilities. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/england-vs-australia-betting-peter-siddle-can-enjoy-favourable-conditions-at-the-riverside

Re: The Ashes Few more for me to go with the above. Been waiting for this test match to come around. Usually I'd do a write up for each one but they all come under the same reasoning in the main so I'll do one write up rather than repeat myself 5 times. 4pts England Under 335.5 1st Inns Runs 5/6 Ladbrokes 3pts No Six on Day 1 Evs Sportingbet 2pts Both teams to bat on Day 1 3/1 Sportingbet 2pts No century in the match 6/1 Bet365 1pt ew S.Broad Top England Batsman (1st Inns Only) 50/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1-3) I think this will be a match where the ball dominates the bat and unlike the wickets we've seen so far in the series I think this one will have a bit of moisture in it and lots of grass on it rather than the dustbowls we've been accustomed to seeing. On Monday this ground was underwater and I believe more rain fell on Thursday so there should be plenty of juice in the wicket first up. Neither batting line up has looked particularly convincing in this series bar one major innings from each side and on a tricky wicket I don't expect that to change here. Both sides should get the ball to swing and to seam so the batsmen won't have it easy here. Everything leads to not many runs being scored and those that are requiring an awful lot of skill which I'm not sure two out of form batting line ups have. We haven't seen a six on the opening day of either of the last two tests and with the ball moving around I think we could well see plenty of wickets going on the opening day. If the ball moves like expected England's top order should struggle even more than they have already which makes their first innings target look high and Broad's price look very big. There have only been two scores of over 300 on this ground in the Championship so far this season and both of those came in the second innings of those matches so everything really points to a low scoring game. If this is a low scoring match, and I find it hard to believe it won't be, certainly for the first innings anyway, then I think all of the above bets will give us strong runs for our money this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The Ashes 5th Test preview: 6pts England to win 5th Test 21/20 Bet365 England have dominated this series apart from Old Trafford where they lost the toss on a wicket which deteriorated fairly quickly when England batted on it but the series scoreline is no fluke and I expect England to end the series in style here. For some reason Australia have taken a batsman out of their side and picked a bowler even though they were taking wickets but not scoring runs! With Faulkner and Starc pounding down on this wicket Graeme Swann will have huge craters of rough to aim for and on a dry enough wicket anyway, Swann can spin England to a 4-0 win. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/england-vs-australia-betting-england-can-end-the-series-in-style-at-a-dry-oval

Re: The Ashes Few others for the series finale. 4pts G.Swann's Performance Pts - 132&Over 5/6 Bet365 1pt G.Swann 5+ 1st Inns Wickets 8/1 Ladbrokes Australia could hardly have played more into Graeme Swann's hands if they tried. This wicket will be dry anyway and come the second half of the match it will have turned naturally but now that it is going to have Mitchell Starc and James Faulkner bounding down on it Swann will even have rough outside the right hander's off stump to work with as well as the left hander. If England bat first then the rough patches will be extreme for Swann even by the time England come to bowl so I fully expect the England offie to fill his boots very much in the second innings, if not the first. At 8/1 I can't resist a punt on Swann taking five wickets or more in the first go especially as he's already done it in this series on the other side of the river on a wicket not as helpful as this one should be. Over the course of the match seven wickets are certainly not beyond him but even if they are he can chip in with bat and with slip catches. All in all his performance total looks low given the surface and his chances of wickets are greater than his 8/1 odds in the first innings. 3pts Australia Highest Opening Partnership 11/10 Betfred It took a while but finally Australia have found their best opening partnership and I would expect to see a decent go from Warner and Rogers here. I haven't been impressed by Joe Root at all in this series and bar one fantastic innings, which he rode his luck early on in, his output has been minimal. Cook either scores a ton here or is out for 10 or less and he has a big weakness against left arm seam at the minute so it isn't ideal that he faces two such bowlers here. With Ryan Harris in good nick and James Anderson not quite so I think Australia are a bit big at 11/10 in this market. 1pt ew M.Starc Top Australia Batsman (1st Inns Only) 50/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1-3) Mitchell Starc finally showed what he can do in his last innings in this series at Old Trafford and this wicket should suit him a lot more. The seamers won't find much assistance so he can hit through the line against them and he seems to attack the spin pretty well too and the straight boundaries here are more than clearable. Australia have weakened their batting line up for this match by shoving Haddin up to 6 and playing another bowler. Weird tactics in the extreme but tactics which could well give Starc a chance of doing something down the order at a much bigger price than he should be if that Old Trafford innings is anything to go by.