** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Wimbledon 2013

Re: Wimbledon 2013 [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR] [TD=class: font14b lightBlue]Jun 25 2007[/TD] [TD=class: font14b verylightBlue, width: 5] [/TD] [TD=class: font14b verylightBlue]Wimbledon ATP Slam (GBR) Grass, R16[/TD] [TD=class: font14b verylightBlue, width: 5] [/TD] [TD=class: font14b verylightBlue](2)Nadal(2,4.61) d (14)Youzhny(13,3.10)[/TD] [TD=class: font14b verylightBlue, width: 5] [/TD] [TD=class: font14b verylightBlue]4-6 3-6 6-1 6-2 6-2 [/TD] [TD=class: font14b verylightBlue, width: 100, align: left][/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Can some neutral people please step in and help out here because this is getting silly. Haas/Berdych/Del Potro or Youzhny/Verdasco/Janowicz. It isn't even a debate. Go and ask 100 tennis experts and they'll tell you the same thing. I haven't even mentioned ranking, so I'm not sure why that was brought into it. I don't want to get banned from these forums so I don't know what to do here? Someone is writing blatant nonsense as well as twisting my words and misquoting me. It's obviously intended to provoke a reaction. Please can we make sure the right person is taken to task for this, I haven't done anything wrong here.

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Just a clue, but the fact you're saying 'look what Youzhny did once in 2007' and 'look what Verdasco did once in 2009' kind of shows that these players are not on the same level as players like Haas, Berdych, Del Potro, who perform to that high standard regularly in this decade, not the last one. There is no point in you and I taking up pages of a public forum by continuing this debate. I'd like to hear some neutral opinions but otherwise we have to leave it because this isn't the place.

i will say that you can only beat whats in front of you and its hardly murrays fault that tsonga federer and nadal all flopped. that said surely an easier passage to the final is a positive for murray not a negative? for what its worth i despise murray (mainly due to his mothers presence) but will be backing him today, he has got over the hump now and knows what it takes to win a slam i also am no tennis expert Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Wimbledon 2013

Can some neutral people please step in and help out here because this is getting silly. Haas/Berdych/Del Potro or Youzhny/Verdasco/Janowicz. It isn't even a debate. Go and ask 100 tennis experts and they'll tell you the same thing. I haven't even mentioned ranking' date=' so I'm not sure why that was brought into it.[/quote'] You are simply dismiss youzhny/verdasco/janowics as inferior players "this tournament"? Which is wrong... based on this tournament Verdasco was playing better than Berdych, it's an entirely subjective view that you are taking. Tommy Haas does not have the fitness for best of 5 set matches, so even had he taken the second set after being up 4-2, would have easily folded in the end. Del potro had a moe than impressive wimbledon, but he';s not that comfortable on grass. Djokovic should have finished him off much earlier with all the break point opportunities he had in the second set, not to mention the match points he survived in the fourth. It is very much a debate, because you are going on the sole caliber of each player, caliber is one thing, playing well in every tournament is another, Berdych didn't play up to his caliber this wimbledon and he continued to be mentally very poor. I don't need to ask 100 tennis experts, because I am one. Incase you didn't know, I'm not new to tennis, lol, I drink, eat, coach and sleep the sport. Youzhny is a very tricky customer on the grass, Berdych doesn't have Jerzy's steel Haas cannot last best of 5 set matches, despite his fluke victory over Novak on Novak's bad day at the office with his injured ankle in a masters event.

i will say that you can only beat whats in front of you and its hardly murrays fault that tsonga federer and nadal all flopped. that said surely an easier passage to the final is a positive for murray not a negative? for what its worth i despise murray (mainly due to his mothers presence) but will be backing him today, he has got over the hump now and knows what it takes to win a slam i also am no tennis expert Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
It wasn't an easier passage to the final, he's talking out his arse and acting obsessive with caliber. If player's don't perform to their caliber, then it counts for nothing, both Berdych and especially Tommy Haas, did not play to their caliber as players. Haas was dreadful compared to what we had witnessed of him in the past year. The way he simply threw away the 4-2 lead with 4 unforced errors was disgusting, Simon would have dealt with him nicely on that day.

Re: Wimbledon 2013 Anyway, I'm going to watch the build up to the final rather than sit here and argue with someone that believes his opinions are facts and are so because the rankings and caliber and prestige the player holds in the sport says so. You need to think for yourself more mate, individual thought is the best way to beat the bookmaker, going with rankings and how hyped up player's are usually leads in mug betting / losses. Good luck and see ya.

Re: Wimbledon 2013 I think it's just a difference of opinion? I think you are both just passionate about what you write and to me that is a good thing. RB writes some excellent reports and posts past results and head to heads. You have it all there and he is not afraid of voicing his opinion if he thinks you are making a mistake. He is right sometimes. In this instance though he did say he gave the edge to Djokovic even though he went for Murray because of the odds I think? I myself am just influenced by what I have seen, irrespective of opponents and on that basis I go with 100% confidence Djokovic. Others will go for Murray and that is their choice and I wish them luck. Equating other opponents isn't always clearcut for example Berdych tends to test Murray more than Djokovic (I know he has beaten Djokovic too). Youzhny has had a good grass seaon and has also done well here in the past, so has Verdasco. Haas was a former semi finalist and Janowicz has a great game for grass. On paper Djokovic looked to have the more difficult run in but that is all relative as any player is capable of either being flat or raising his game on the day. IMO Del Potro played better in this tournament than he has for quite some time and his weight of shot can trouble everybody. I think you must look seriously at the player himself though rather than just his opponents and to me Murray is a man feeling the pressure and his play in the last few rounds has been reflected in that. Should he come out relaxed and inspired today and limit his errors and should Djokovic be below par then Murray could win but on the evidence I have seen this is not the most likely scenario. The bottom line is that one guy's opinion will be wrong and one guy will lose money. But so what? We all pick winners and losers. As long as we pick more winners we can live with those loses. And I don't mind who wins today as long as it is Djokovic :)

Re: Wimbledon 2013 I was way off with Djokovic today as I have conceded defeat. Djokovic is flat and despite the tension Murray played brilliantly. Congratulation to those who backed and selected him. I still made a very healthy profit this fortnight so I'm happy about that but will admit that I have got a few wrong where I shouldn't have and that is worrying.

Murray to beat Djokovic 2.55 Pinnacle (6/10 points) Djokovic when defending the backhand side, or when going laterally to his left you could say and side lunging out wide to play an offensive defensive backhand has to then recover his position, change direction and be ready for the next shot (Or even return to the center of the baseline) that is something he heavily relies on on a hardcourt. It's a luxury that he can't afford on the grass (Particularly this season's grass) as it is slippery. We saw him slipping but still skillfully improvising many times against Del Potro. It's also why Del Potro was able to hit through him more often than you find he is able to on a hardcourt, he wasn't recovering his positing after side-lunging and doing the 3/4 splits. Murray doesn't use the side-lunge and 3/4 split, he uses his slice to reach out at those well hit shots and attempt to neutralise the rally (And at bonus give his opponent a semi-difficult and unable to do much with ball) If Novak side-lunges (3/4 split) when moving to his left and hitting a backhand, I can't see him recovering in time to be in good preparation for the next shot, Murray's going to therefore have natural control of the point. If Novak then goes to the slice instead, he doesn't really have the feel to slice it back, effectively. If Murray gets set on his forehand and goes inside out with pace, with Novak at the center of the baseline, Novak may find it difficult to do what he usually does (Sidestep lunge, 3/4 splits)and then recover for the next shot.
22 seconds (Where he does the splits to keep him on an even keel) this is one example I could find, I am sure there's many, but I can't see him being about to do this on a grass consistently whilst avoiding slipping and being able to recover for his next shot. It's a core part of his game and vitally crucial against the top player that's movement is good.
Why are you asking whether it's because Murray is a member of the big four? It's like you want it to be the reason?, so you can be proved "genius". Yes, we're all influenced cause he's number 2 in the world and really Djokovic is head and shoulders the best player in the world. :zzz We all provided reasons other than that of, he is a member of the top 4, so why are you saying you don't understand why we are going for him? Perhaps try reading? You've basically supported the argument that Murray comes closer to Djokovic on grass, but then said however bla bla bla...... so then how can you say Djokovic should be 1.3? All these stats in grandslam head to heads aren't as significant as you think, player's develop over the years and these stats therefore count for very little. Their Australian Open semi final encounter in 2012 was incredibly close. I don't think it is clear cut whether Dokovic is the better player than Murray, on grass. Certainly on hardcourt, Novak's sheer amazing athletism and movement wins him the upper hand, but having watched the highlights of their match at the Olympics on youtube, I am not so sure Djoker has his number on a grasscourt. Murray has a better first serve also, so a lot will be to do with with howmany first serves he can make and at what times. He also needs to avoid serving outwide to Djoker's clear strength, his backhand on the second serve. If Murray had a better second serve, I'd be more confident than I am now. Just think a lot of people are underestimating the importance of the surface here, hardcourt is mainly only where both of these two have really competed against each other. I have yet to see Djoker beat a really good player on grass in fine form. With movement being less valuable, this is so even. It's fine if you think Djokovic will win but don't try and say you "don't understand" when both me and Czech gave long articulate reasons. Murray posseses just as much power at his disposal and even class in those the longer rallies IMO. Where Novak's ahead is in terms of movement. Murray's a great mover but Novak's an exceptional mover. That's why he has defensive to offensive class in the longer rallies. Novak's an exceptional mover and will need to move exceptionally tomorrow, wheather he will on this grass where it's harder to change direction, is the question for me. :) I reckon not and it's why it becomes even more of an even contest for me. Home tie for Andy and therefore he's the value at this price. Try thinking more outside of the box. ;)
:ok This is why being someone that coaches the sport and has been heavily emerced in the sport from a young age counts for more than a fanboy that only watches the top 10 players in the big grandslams.

Re: Wimbledon 2013 well i think the number seven was lucky for Murray 77 years since last british winner winning on the seventh day of the seventh month so think it was going to be his day he was good odds to win the match as well anyway great betting by you guys

:ok This is why being someone that coaches the sport and has been heavily emerced in the sport from a young age counts for more than a fanboy that only watches the top 10 players in the big grandslams.
How I love humble people... Yeah because if your selection wins, then you were automatically right and it was a good bet, right?

RuleBritaniaa' date=' you have crossed the line once again after being warned on more than one occasion. Last chance mate.[/quote'] TBH, I'll apologise actually. I was aggrieved at how he thought his opinion was "right" or of a superiorty to others. I was trying to explain to him that whilst they may be better players on paper, of a higher caliber and achieved more in the game... what was most important was the performances they put in against Novak and compared to Janowics, Verdasco and Youzhny... with the slight exception of may be Del Potro, they didn't really give Djoker as hard a task as those others did Murray. (The level of tennis they produced was of a much higher level) He felt he shouldn't even need to "back up" and that it wasn't even a discussion and all these so called experts were bound to agree with him because those player's have had better seasons and done more in the game. I apologise for the gloat there at the end ThereNoLimit, I just hope you can try and be a little more open minded next time and not base everything on what is said on paper as rank doesn't mean everything.

Fortunately I backed Djokovic at 15/8 last week on PP (now down to 5/4). They are also refunding stakes if Murray wins. I'll cover a bit on Nadal at 4/1 with the same firm as I can't see anyone outside those three having a cuance so that should hopefully guarantee no losses with main profit if Novak wins.
Ah well, money back at least. Happy for Murray. Well done all winners the last two weeks.

Re: Wimbledon 2013 As for the final, did anyone else think it was quite a low-quality match from both? Djokovic was quite bad, and even Murray wasnt great imo. Not as good as his US Open, Olympics matches. But novak couldnt serve to save his life today, made tons of errors too. Really disappointing match in my view. Federer must be thinking he has another good year in him as the quality today and in the AO final was not beyond him.

TBH, I'll apologise actually. I was aggrieved at how he thought his opinion was "right" or of a superiorty to others. I was trying to explain to him that whilst they may be better players on paper, of a higher caliber and achieved more in the game... what was most important was the performances they put in against Novak and compared to Janowics, Verdasco and Youzhny... with the slight exception of may be Del Potro, they didn't really give Djoker as hard a task as those others did Murray. (The level of tennis they produced was of a much higher level) He felt he shouldn't even need to "back up" and that it wasn't even a discussion and all these so called experts were bound to agree with him because those player's have had better seasons and done more in the game. I apologise for the gloat there at the end ThereNoLimit, I just hope you can try and be a little more open minded next time and not base everything on what is said on paper as rank doesn't mean everything.
Yeah, it was the assumptions you made that were pretty upsetting. I don't just watch the top 10 players in the Grand Slams. I wasn't basing anything on ranking, I didn't even mention it. Please don't make baseless assumptions about people in future. Well done on the Murray tip.

As for the final' date=' did anyone else think it was quite a low-quality match from both? Djokovic was quite bad, and even Murray wasnt great imo. Not as good as his US Open, Olympics matches. But novak couldnt serve to save his life today, made tons of errors too. Really disappointing match in my view. Federer must be thinking he has another good year in him as the quality today and in the AO final was not beyond him.[/quote'] Spot on - unlike your 'Southampton are obviously going to be relegated' vom!! Ha ha ;) Incredibly pleased for AM but that was never the 'match of his life' as Sue Barker immediately described it and it was possibly on of NDs worst of recent times. AM too far behind the baseline too often and both made countless unforced errors compared to their usual high standard. Result all that matters but no point in not seeing what actually happened. Well done to all the winners.

Spot on - unlike your 'Southampton are obviously going to be relegated' vom!! Ha ha ;) Incredibly pleased for AM but that was never the 'match of his life' as Sue Barker immediately described it and it was possibly on of NDs worst of recent times. AM too far behind the baseline too often and both made countless unforced errors compared to their usual high standard. Result all that matters but no point in not seeing what actually happened. Well done to all the winners.
Haha, yeah I thought Southampton were dead and buried at one stage! But ye got some big wins to pull away from the pack.

Special semi double Murray and Djokovic both to win 3-1 14/1 skybet Janowitz to win first service game 40-0 3-1 paddy power also in the same match over 10.5 games in the first set 11/10 paddy power i saw this bet and i think it there is a good chance of this happening their opponents are tough and i expect that one of them will lose at least one set
my last bet did not go well but first set came through and i know it is a bit late

Re: Wimbledon 2013 It was a great tournament from Murray and he held his nerve in the final to close it out especailly because there was so much pressure put on him after Nadal and Federer were knocked out! Well done to all who backed him from the start :)