** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

ICC Champions Trophy 2013

kevshat

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 The teams don't take risks in this tournament. They begin with a powerplay and they don't look to take any advantage from that. It's expected that the wicket will fall within the first 15 overs and they are happy having 40 runs from 90 balls. I see quite pointless hunting 6s betting at the moment. Maybe in the last round when some teams will fight for big win or ratios we shall see high scoring games. At the moment they all look how to keep their wickets till the end and hunt a score over 200. England were the only team that attacked from the beginning and they managed to give no chance to Aussies.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Wednesday preview: 4pts New Zealand Highest 1st 15 overs 11/10 Bet365 Australia need a performance in this match and this could be the ideal opponent to produce one against. One thing you wouldn’t think the Aussies will lack here is aggression but I don’t think there’s a lot of faith in their middle order so the openers might be a bit sedate once again. The whole of the top three need form so while they won’t have a net they might take a bit longer to get in and that plays into the hands of New Zealand early on. New Zealand’s first 15 over totals have been very good this summer and they look a good bet to lead through 15 overs here too. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-new-zealand-betting-new-zealand-can-make-the-faster-start-at-edgbaston-20130611

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 One more to go with the above. 1pt J.Faulkner Top Australian Batsman 33/1 Ladbrokes James Faulkner has shown he can bat in his short spell in the Australian side and he looks a decent price to top score in this match. He made a half century against England on Saturday and there's no reason why he won't go well again here because New Zealand showed against England at Trent Bridge last week that they can lob down some real filth come the end of the innings. With few of Australia's batsmen in good form at the minute Faulkner may not be chasing much if he comes in down the order but I also wonder whether Australia will toy with the idea of sending him up the order to get some impetus and momentum into their innings if they lose an early wicket. Either way he showed on Saturday that he's a live runner wherever he bats so 33/1 is a nice price to have a go at.

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 There is one market I fancy in this match and that is the 6's market. Both matches played at Birmingham have featured just 2 6's (including Australia's game vs. England). While Australia managed just one 6 in in their first match, New Zealand managed no 6's in their first game. I am sure that the fact that the top order has fallen early on played a major factor. But given that both batting lineups have shown the ability to collapse rather quickly in each of their first match, I like and will be taking the bet of 5pts Under 6.5 6's @ 1.83 SportingBet

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Australia v New Zealand - New Zealand 2.10 BetVictor These odds surprise me and I think this game is closer than the odds suggest, therefore there is value in a punt on NZ here. The Black Caps are a much more settled unit than the Aussies and I think this and their tenacity will see them over the line today. Guptill, N McCullum and Vettori all look good and all it will take will be for Southee and Mclenaghan to bowl how they have been doing to restrict Australia. Australia look devoid of passion, skill and drive. The Warner incident will not help stability, but irrespective of that they have looked poor so far this year generally. Probably be a wash out! Good luck to all!

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Thursday preview: 4pts Sri Lanka Most 6's (DNB) vs England 11/8 Ladbrokes England have played three meaningful matches this summer and hit 0, 1 and 1 sixes. Lasith Malinga is unlikely to serve up filth at the end of the innings so England should be stifled more. Their top four aren’t big hitters so the value is with the Sri Lankans hitting more sixes here as even if they collapse again there are players down the order who may just get their front leg out of the way and slog a few for respectability. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/england-vs-sri-lanka-betting-sri-lanka-look-value-for-the-most-maximums-20130612

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Couple of others to go with the one above. As it is meant to be a dry day, hoping to get my tournament back on track after a disastrous three days. 4pts I.Bell to beat T.Dilshan 4/5 BetVictor Tillekeratne Dilshan has a pretty wretched record against England in this format of the game. He has only gone past 17 once in his last nine innings against England and that was in the quarter final of the World Cup where England were beyond abject. His last five innings against them, all in England, have totaled just 17 runs so this isn't a bowling attack he likes facing. He only made 20 against New Zealand on a wicket which probably suited him too so I think he's there to be taken on in this match. In 11 matches in England, against England, Dilshan's highest score is 13. Ian Bell is getting a nasty habit of getting starts and then getting out but a start is likely to be enough here. He comes into this match in good form having scored half centuries in his last two matches and often bats well on this ground where he will get full value for his shots if he pierces the in field. This will be Ian Bell's 13th ODI of 2013 and he's only been out for less than 24 on three occasions so he is getting in and if he gets in here history suggests he'll get enough to beat the Sri Lankan opener. 0.5pts N.Kulasekara Top Sri Lanka Batsman 100/1 Ladbrokes This isn't a bad price on Kulasekara if he plays. He has two ODI 50s to his name and they have come against Australia in Brisbane and New Zealand in South Africa so he seems to like the bouncier conditions when he bats. He has already smacked a 40 in one of the warm up matches against the West Indies on this tour and there aren't many quicker attacks around than that West Indian one at present and so if Sri Lanka do collapse again he might benefit from that. We saw James Faulkner help himself to 50 against England on Saturday and Nathan McCullum has scored a few in the ODI series. In the recent test series with England, Broad and Anderson were clobbered to all parts by Southee and Wagner so you can get after this England attack down the order. We also saw on Tuesday with Darren Sammy how you can slog quick runs here so you never know. Clearly he'll need help from those above but if he gets it then he might just pay out at a frankly daft price for a guy who clearly has some talent with the bat to have the runs he has.

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 2pts L.Malinga to be Man Of The Match 8.50 Bet365 I fancy Malinga to get a good few wickets here and to be head to head with Eranga. England could easily collapse if Cook or Bell go early and Root isn't up to it and even if they stand firm Malinga will probably take the lower order out. With the high wickets you'll always have a chance of Man Of The Match. Especially if Sri-Lanka win.

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 England v Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka 2.42 SBOBET I fancy Sri Lanka here. Got a funny feeling England are a bit over-confident and Sri Lanka are always dangerous. They've got to win to stand any chance of progressing, so think some of their experienced players might turn up and perform. Malinga is obviously a nightmare for England's batters, but on Sundays evidence against NZ, the rest of their attack is pretty good too. Fancy England's top 3 to struggle and get out, leaving too much for the fancy boys down the order - whether setting target or chasing. Only worry is SL's flaky and out of form batting, but just think they might just go for it and it'll work. Good luck all

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Friday preview: 4pts West Indies to beat South Africa 13/10 Boylesports Looking at the forecast there’s just no way this match will be a 50 over match but there is expected to be a window for play as the day goes on. With the time for cleaning up and things this could well become a T20 match or not much longer and that has to play into the West Indies hands. They are the world champions in that format and play it better than any side in the world so they are the pick here with that in mind. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/south-africa-vs-west-indies-betting-west-indies-look-better-equipped-in-a-rain-affected-game-20130614

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013

Excellent shout Fezzik. Was lucky enough to be at The Oval today. Kumar Sangakkara is all class. Even if he did cost me a 100/1 winner :wall.
thanks Kev, bad luck on yours tho. Am with you on WI tomorrow too for exact same reasoning..

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Kieron :eyes. Saturday preview: 4pts R.Sharma (-3.5 runs) to beat I.Farhat 5/6 Ladbrokes Once again I think we’re looking at a rain affected match here but one bet that I do like is for Rohit Sharma to beat Imran Farhat by at least four runs. Farhat looks all at sea to me. He hasn’t timed anything and his defence has been a bit loose, especially to the pace men and I would expect him to be out cheaply again. Rohit Sharma is in excellent form having hit 50s in both matches thus far and he should get enough to comfortably beat Farhat here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/india-vs-pakistan-betting-rohit-sharma-s-form-can-see-him-outscore-imran-farhat-20130614

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Sunday preview: 4pts New Zealand to beat England 13/10 Coral Depending on what weather forecast you look at there are a number of things which could happen atmospherically. I’m not going to guess the weather but I don’t think there is a need to. To my eyes, on this Cardiff ground, New Zealand are better set up to win whether the match is 50 overs for 20 overs. If it is a full game the overs of Vettori, McCullum and Williamson become crucial on a turning wicket and if it is 20 overs I’ll take Guptill, Taylor and Brendon McCullum over the England top 3/4 all day long too. Whichever way I look at it New Zealand look in good shape. Throw in their series win earlier in the month and England unlikely to get reverse swing and the Kiwis look a big price to me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/england-vs-new-zealand-betting-new-zealand-can-end-england-s-tournament-however-long-the-game-is-20130615

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Top NZ Bowler - Mitchell McClenaghan @ 3.75 Sportingbet MOTM - Mitchell McClenagahan @ 15 Sportingbet Since touching down in England for the ODI series and continuing through to their last Champions Trophy match, McClenaghan has played in all 5 games, taking the most wickets for NZ on 4 of those occasions. In all 4 instances he achieved this outright, so there were no sharing of the spoils. In his only failure he still took 2 wickets and I think given his form the odds on him being top bowler for NZ again look nice. The MOTM bet is a logical extension of this as I agree with Kev that NZ are a great chance here. Kumar got his award last night by having a good bowling innings without being spectacular and given McClenaghan has 4 wickets in both matches so far I'm happy to ride the momentum.

Top NZ Bowler - Mitchell McClenaghan @ 3.75 Sportingbet
Really like this bet, had been thinking along the same lines myself. Has done really well since he's been over here. Good signing for Lancs in the Friends Life, possible he can do for them what Mitchell Starc did for Yorks last year. Good luck :ok

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Monday preview: 4pts Sri Lanka to beat Australia 4/5 William Hill I like Sri Lanka in this match. I think they’ve played the better cricket and for whatever reason this Australian batting hasn’t shown up yet. Their bowling has flattered to receive a bit too. Sri Lanka bat all the way down as England found out the other night and the variety in their bowling is good too plus they have the banker of Malinga to call on. Australia are going to have to take millions of risks to qualify which should play into Sri Lanka’s hands. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-sri-lanka-betting-sri-lanka-can-put-the-australians-out-of-their-misery-20130617

Two more for today. 4pts Over 5.5 6s 5/6 William Hill I like the idea of sixes in this match. We saw the other night that Sri Lanka hit big these days and there is talk that Perera will play here which adds to that. Australia need big runs and they need them quickly so they will get the long handle out early doors which will help sixes. Watson or Maxwell could cover this line on their own if they get going but there's plenty of ammunition around them so I like the overs here. 1pt G.Maxwell Top Australian Batsman 12/1 Ladbrokes With Australia's need for urgent runs Maxwell could well go up the order, possibly even open and if he does he'll be a runner here. He can hit big and there's unlikely to be much seam movement so he can hit through the line and swing from the hip. He looked in good form at the end against New Zealand and given the chance he could go up the order he's a more than acceptable price here. Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using PL Forum

1pt A. Voges Top Australian Batsman 6/1 bet365 Was top scorer in the last match and since he is back in form, one can only hope he plays as well as he did against Sri Lanka in the last series between these two sides.
bet won. BTW shane watson was woeful the entire tournament. Had he given some sort of start to aussies with 50s or even 30s, the aussies would have been in with a decent shout in all matches - ncluding one against england.

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 5.5pts England to beat South Africa 1.90 Bet365 The first of the two semi-finals takes place tomorrow and I'm going to side with England. They have played well throughout really and was quite unlucky to lose their only match against Sri Lanka in my opinion. England have quality throughout. They have an excellent opener in Cook, a player who can build, in Trott and up and coming batters who are keen such as Root. They also boast a pretty fine bowling attack too in Anderson, Swann & Broad and I think it will be enough here, to take the game and book a place in the finals.

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 10 points - England to beat SA - 1.91 various (if 50 over match - if shorter than that because of rain, I will hedge out because I am not a fan of 20 over coinflips) SA are only here by luck. They should have been out after their match against West Indies. England however have been winning their matches quite easily, apart from a Sanga/Kula inspired SL match. Eng brushed aside Aus and especially NZ impressively. They have two quality spinners in Swann and Tredwell, and even if swann is deemed "unfit", treadwell is a great replacement. So much so that I prefer Treadwell over Swann in this format and think swann is fit but england just want to play treadwell. We just keep getting fed bs about swann being unfit right at the last minute of every match even though swann's usually all over his guardian column saying how "ready" he is to get going and what not. SA do bat deep and have an advantage over england in that dept. And in Amla they have a player who averages 68 against england. However, England is the more balanced side. SA have tweaked with their batting order countless times and apart from steyn, their bowling dept. is lacking. So england have the advantage in bowling since Anderson, Broad, Finn, and Treadwell, are more skilled than steyn, mclaren, duminy, peterson, morris. Yeah, you read it correct. As a unit, they are superior in the bowling dept than the South Africans with steyn included. There have been ball tampering allegations all over the news (which I believe are inconclusive) but the one things that matters is that england has been able to swing the ball while S.Africans have struggled in that dept. Maybe these allegations will affect the mindset of english players but if they really didnt do anything wrong (which I think is more likely or else with all the technology we have now they would have been found out IMHO), it will inspire the to show what they are made off. SA have the mandela factor but england are at home and they want to win this trophy badly as this may well be their best chance to do it. SA have always have talented players but the current England crop need to achieve things which other teams like SA and India take for granted. England have test batsmen who can see the threat of steyn off. Granted that the trio of morgan/buttler/bopara may struggle against him in the late overs but I think they will be alright. Especially morgan and bopara who will have seen enough of him in the IPL. And if styen keeps struggling to swing the ball or due to his injury, I think they will be able to hit him for a few boundaries just like the West Indian Marlon Samuel did. He was bowled by styen, because of his own mistake and a really bad slog and not because steyn's delivery was great. South Africa bat deep but England are batting well and if they can get in their and score like every other team has been able to do against SA bar pakistan, think eng will win (and pakistan has a woeful batting order). England bowlers have a leg up on SA bowlers for me too and and looking forward to anderson's swinging delivery getting Amla out fairly early. And with the home advantage and I believe they will be loud tomorrow since its a semi-final, I think england should be favorites here and I would price them at 1.8. So value lies with england for me. GL - NoFear (fan of Indian cricket team)

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Just wanted to add that the match starts at 10:30 GMT and the forecast is heavy rain in london. If this is the case, and match gets reduced to 20-30 overs then its a coin flip really as then their wont be much between these two team at all, especially since its a semi-final and will be very close. But if the rain stays away and we have a 50 over match, then I will be siding with england.

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Good work with Voges yesterday No Fear. England for me too. SF1 preview: 4pts England to beat South Africa 10/11 Betfred South Africa have been anything but convincing in this tournament and there’s always the thought of a choke in the back of the mind where they are concerned. The only match they have won in the tournament was against an abject Pakistan side and they were anything but convincing there. England may not have played their best cricket in this tournament but save for a knock of the highest quality from Sangakkara against Sri Lanka, England could easily have won all three matches so far. They’ve been more convincing and I think they’ll win this match. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/england-vs-south-africa-betting-england-can-make-it-to-the-final-of-their-own-party-20130618

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 kev, you seem to be at oval quite a lot. Since I am having a decent bet on england, I want to make sure I am not leaving any stone unturned in my research. And there is one thing that is bugging me - Oval track is quick from what I have read and it is unlikely to favour english bowlers. And SA has that deep batting lineup with decent batsmen coming at number 8 and 9 (miller, peterson, mclaren et al). And we have seen how english bowlers struggled here against SL, in particular Broad. I am worried that Finn and Broad might just be too easy to bat against given the wicket. If conditions demanded that a team play multiple spinners, I know SA might play Phangiso (depending on steyn's fitness) along with duminy/peterson. But england will never consider playing two spinners, I dont think. (Cook's idea of a second spinner is Root and though he has done well, SA bat too deep for a part-time spinner to make an impact on the game). And I think the pitch may make a fool of Broad and Finn "again". Anything you can tell me about the oval pitch?? cricinfo says "The Oval has tended to be a touch quicker than the other two venues, though after ten days of cricket a wearing pitch should encourage spin. Some overnight rain is expected to clear in time for the start and there might even be a few rays of sunshine over Kennington during the afternoon. " - this pitch should favor SA imo. It should favor not only their bowling but their batting as well. They did hit 300 against India and they didnt have steyn then and had morkel sent off without him completing his overs. Bascially that match was a debacle. If the pitch and conditions turn against Broad and finn, SA will do what SL did and score 300+. What do you think?

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 Good questions. My take on things is this.... First of all I'm 99% certain it will be a fresh pitch. I've been to three matches in the CT at The Oval and there has been a green matting over the same pitch each time I've been and the matches have been played either side of it so I expect that the covered up one will be the wicket for this match. It certainly fits in with the camera scaffolding and everything. So if it is a fresh pitch it won't turn and it will be full of runs. As for who it suits, I'm not sure it will suit either side any more than the other really. SA don't have a great record at The Oval (W2-L4 in official ODIs) which includes losing to England last year and they were done up pretty easily by Pakistan in the warm up game here a few weeks ago although you shouldn't read much into the warm ups. One thing which was worth pointing out from that warm up match which is relevant though was how many SA batsmen were done for pace in that game. That suggests that the wicket might not suit SA as much as England. As for the Sri Lanka game, that might be a blessing in disguise. I guess the key thing to remember is England would have won that match but for one of the all time top innings given the situation from Kumar Sangakkara. They are unlikely to run into that quality an innings too often let alone in their next match on the ground. The longer the innings went on the more they thought they could bounce SL out and it didn't work but I don't expect them to use that tactic in this match. The other thing to remember from that match was Swann played and not Tredwell but it looks like Tredwell will play and not Swann here and that would be better as I think Tredwell is a much better limited overs bowler. I think Finn will be a handful on this wicket too. For what its worth, I've seen both sides live in this tournament (SA at Edgbaston vs Pakistan, England vs SL at The Oval) and for my money England were a good deal better with bat and with ball even though Sangakkara was too good for them. I've not been all that impressed with South Africa in any of their matches. They lost by a lot more than the end scoreline suggested against India and beat a rotten Pakistan but they weren't convincing in that either and then but for Pollard's brainfade they would have lost to the Windies. I'm fairly confident England will win this.

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 One more for me to go with the above. 1pt J.Trott Man of the Match 12/1 Skybet Jonathan Trott is a fairly big price to be the man of the match here. He is one of England's lynchpins in this format of the game and seems to enjoy playing against South Africa in this format. I guess a lot of that is because he's up for it having come from South Africa but either way against SA in this format he has four half centuries and a 48 in seven innings against them and averages 57 which is even higher than his career average of 51. He likes batting at The Oval too it would appear. He made a century on debut here in test cricket against Australia and his last two ODI innings on this ground have been 71 against SA last year and 76 against Sri Lanka last week. Trott rarely lets England down and peaks in the big matches so there's no reason to think we won't get a decent score from him in this match and if we do then with bowlers likely to find wickets hard to come by then Trott could be a contender for the MOM should England win.

Good questions. My take on things is this.... First of all I'm 99% certain it will be a fresh pitch. I've been to three matches in the CT at The Oval and there has been a green matting over the same pitch each time I've been and the matches have been played either side of it so I expect that the covered up one will be the wicket for this match. It certainly fits in with the camera scaffolding and everything. So if it is a fresh pitch it won't turn and it will be full of runs. As for who it suits, I'm not sure it will suit either side any more than the other really. SA don't have a great record at The Oval (W2-L4 in official ODIs) which includes losing to England last year and they were done up pretty easily by Pakistan in the warm up game here a few weeks ago although you shouldn't read much into the warm ups. One thing which was worth pointing out from that warm up match which is relevant though was how many SA batsmen were done for pace in that game. That suggests that the wicket might not suit SA as much as England. As for the Sri Lanka game, that might be a blessing in disguise. I guess the key thing to remember is England would have won that match but for one of the all time top innings given the situation from Kumar Sangakkara. They are unlikely to run into that quality an innings too often let alone in their next match on the ground. The longer the innings went on the more they thought they could bounce SL out and it didn't work but I don't expect them to use that tactic in this match. The other thing to remember from that match was Swann played and not Tredwell but it looks like Tredwell will play and not Swann here and that would be better as I think Tredwell is a much better limited overs bowler. I think Finn will be a handful on this wicket too. For what its worth, I've seen both sides live in this tournament (SA at Edgbaston vs Pakistan, England vs SL at The Oval) and for my money England were a good deal better with bat and with ball even though Sangakkara was too good for them. I've not been all that impressed with South Africa in any of their matches. They lost by a lot more than the end scoreline suggested against India and beat a rotten Pakistan but they weren't convincing in that either and then but for Pollard's brainfade they would have lost to the Windies. I'm fairly confident England will win this.
Just one more thing. Met office showed a few hours ago that there might be heavy rain from 7AM-10AM. But just checked again and it seems the weather is good enough to allow a 50 overs match. Since you live near the area, do u think its at least 90% likely that we will have a 50 overs game? http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/the-brit-oval-surrey-ccc#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1371596400

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 If Swan plays I'll back England, if he doesn't I won't. The one worry is that Amla is more than capable of doing what Sangakkara did. This made me laugh from ABDV - good job he's not commenting on it! Added needle to the game. South Africa captain AB de Villiers admitted he was worried about the claims ahead of the meeting at The Oval. "If they are doing something funny with the ball it's definitely a concern, yes, but we've got no proof of that," said the 29-year-old Proteas skipper. "They seem to get it to reverse quicker than the other teams but maybe they've just got really good skills. All teams try to get it and we haven't managed to succeed as yet. "We will try it again tomorrow to see if we can reverse the ball. It's probably something the ICC [international Cricket Council] and umpires will look at but it's not really up to me to comment on it."

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2013 weather - been checking twitter and seems like we will get a good 50 over match. :p Oh and to the poster above, seems like swann wont start. Swann not warming up with the team UPDATE - STEYN OUT!! get in . England available at evens on betfair.