** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

French Open 2013

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: French Open 2013 First time poster and an early look at the first round of the French - A Ramos vs J Janowicz - Pick - Janowicz to win@5/6 - Janowicz comes into this tournament in good form having narrowly lost to Federer and beating Tsonga and Gasquet in Rome, Janowicz has a huge first serve and some powerful ground strokes to back his strong serve. Ramos on the other hand comes on the back of a loss to Hanescu and is no more than a pusher. He does not have the weapons to hurt Janowicz, the only way I see Janowicz losing this match is if he tries one drop too many or his forehand is erratic on the day and is pushed into errors by Ramos. N Mahut vs. J Tipsarevic Pick - N Mahut to win@7/2 -I firmly believe the lines are a bit wrong on this one, Tipsarevic comes into the French on the back of a very poor clay season, recently falling in the first round at Dusseldorf to little known Pella. He himself stated that he's playing the worst tennis of his life and in Mahut, he has a tricky opponent who's likely to make him work for every point. Moreover being French, Mahut will have the crowd backing him and I sense the makings of an upset here.

Re: French Open 2013 " . He himself stated that he's playing the worst tennis of his life " Well that's a load of rubbish, he's ranked 10 in the world. I remember him between 40- 70 playing garbage consistently ! Not the most exciting draw of all time, what stands out to me and is " Value ? " loads of 1-8 1-10 1-20 etc...... Simon @ 1-5 to beat Hewitt looks massive. Simon's best surface vs Hewitt's worst. That's surely worth £100 for an easy £20 Berdych @ 2/7 v Monfills also. Monfills is talented, and has gone far in Dusseldorf. However, over 5 sets v a top guy !? Not at the moment, no chance! Berlocq @ 8/11 v Isner could make it a treble. Isner isn't great on clay whatsoever, Berlocq is tidy. Some players I would avoid like the plague at the prices they are= Youhzny - what player will turn up!!?!? Triocki - same again Also, Raonic. I'm not at all convinced by him on clay, and have a feeling Malisse isn't going to be as easy as he perhaps should be. Can certainly see X. Malisse taking a set, if not more.

Re: French Open 2013 Serena Williams to win the French Open - Stan James @ 1.91 The offer is, if Sharapova wins the French Open then Stan James will refund all losing outright bets! This bet features Serena Williams who is now the number one ranked player in the world. Serena is in great form and has won all 16/16 clay court matches she has played this year. These have not been easy matches either, she has beaten the world number 2 Sharapova in straight sets in the Madrid final as well as beating Azarenka the world number 3 in the Rome final, also in straight sets. The last few years she has gone into the French Open with poor form or injuries and these have really not helped her chances of winning the title. However she did win the French Open once in 2002 only dropping 2 sets along the way! I feel that Serena would have to play pretty poorly to lose a game here compared to the way she has been playing in recent weeks. I do think Serena's main threat is the world number 2 Sharapova. Sharapova is the 2nd favourite to win here behind Serena and if Sharapova was to win then we would get a refund on our bet with Serena. Sharapova won the French Open last year only dropping one set along the way and is also in good form on clay this season winning 11 matching and losing just the one, which happened to be against Serena Williams. I consider Williams and Sharapova to be the main contenders this week in Paris and will be shocked if one of these do not win, therefore this bet is a really good offer as we have the to favourites covered. The other main contenders for the title are Azarenka and Li Na. After Serena dominated Azarenka in Rome 6-1 6-3, I don't think she has much of a chance if she comes up against Serena. Li Na has not shown the form that was expected of her so far on clay winning just 4 matches and losing 3. One of these loses was against Sharapova who we would like to win if Serena Williams does not this week. Overall I cant see Serena losing a match the way she has played so far this year on clay, this is also shown as in her last 4 matches she has won 3 sets 6-0, this really shows what a dominant force she has been. She will no doubt be motivated to win here after the disappointment of not winning in Australia. You can get odds of Serena at 2.25 with Ladbrokes however it is much safer to back her on Stan James due to Sharapova being her main threat in my opinion and you will get your stake returned as a free bet if Sharapova was to nick the title off Serena Williams.

Re: French Open 2013 First French Open pick for me: Back Benoit Paire (-5,5 games) to beat Marcos Baghdatis. 1,99 @ marathonbet (6/10) Back Benoit Paire (-2,5 sets) to beat Marcos Baghdatis. 2,25 @ marathonbet (3/10) This should be a clear straight set victory for Paire. He played impressive stuff at Rome, getting to the semis there. Big serve, powerful baseline play and nice returns as well. The home crowd will cheer for him here. Baghdatis is far worse than he was at some times, totally out of shape. He could win a single set in three clay court matches this year, against Robredo, Koroley (!) and Dimitrov. Clay is perhaps his worst surface. Everything in favour of Paire in this match-up.

Re: French Open 2013 Back Tomas Berdych to win the French Open 2013 for a 0.5/10 stake at 62.03 with Pinnacle You could easily argue that Berdych has been among the very best players in the recent weeks, reaching the semis in both Madrid and Rome, and I think that he will go really far this year. He seems to be a truly complete player right now and he should be boosted by the fact that the won't have to face his two worst match-ups, Nadal and Djokovic, before the finals. These odds look massive - after all, he has a better pedigree in the Grand Slams than guys like Ferrer, Almagro, or Tsonga. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-2013-betting-tomas-berdych-can-go-quite-far-in-this-year-s-french-open-20130525 Back Jo-Wilfried Tsonga to win the 4th quarter for a 2/10 stake at 5.00 with Pinnacle As much as I like Federer, I don't think that he should be priced at such short odds to win his quarter. He is obviously still a class act on a good day, but the longer format of the game isn't going to help him that much anymore and clay has never been his favourite surface, so someone like Tsonga might be able to emerge on the top of the quarter instead. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-2013-betting-jo-wilfried-tsonga-might-have-a-shot-at-winning-his-quarter-20130525 Back Rafael Nadal Total Sets Lost - 3 or More for a 4/10 stake at 1.88 with Pinnacle Rafa is probably going to win this once again, but I can see him dropping three sets along the way. The likes of Fognini, Paire, and Wawrinka could combine for one, while the semis (most likely Djokovic) and finals (most likely Ferrer/Berdych/Federer/Tsonga) should be able to take at least one or two off him as well. I know that he lost just one set last year, but, at the same time, I also think that he was playing better tennis back then. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-2013-betting-rafael-nadal-might-have-a-few-problems-in-his-hunt-for-the-title-20130525 Back Will Serena Williams Win the French Open 2013? - No for a 4/10 stake at 1.99 with Pinnacle Serena is obviously the best player in the world right now, but then again, she has never been able to fulfill her potential in the French Open. I, for one, don't think that she should be priced around evens for the title - and this price therefore looks quite good to me. Over the years, she lost against the likes of Kuznetsova, Henin, Stosur, and even Srebotnik, so there you go - her campaign might not be as straightforward as she would like it to be. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/french-open-2013-betting-serena-williams-might-not-be-able-to-triumph-in-this-year-s-french-open-20130525

Re: French Open 2013 One bet stands out for me and that is Darcis over LLodra 2.26 on betfair. Cant really understand why Steve is underdog. H2H shows a 3-1 victory in the FO a couple of yrs back while Llodra won on grass as you would expect. Darcis had been coming thru the qualies with little fuss and although Llodra isnt in bad form I think he has also played a lot of tennis lately and of course he is the older man on clay which will test his aging joints more than any other service. I am keeping it simple her 10 pt win Steve Darcis @ 2.26 Betfair.

Re: French Open 2013

How do you keep track of players fitness, CP? Twitter? I don't think the ATP/WTA website provides much information regarding a players injury or fitness concerns.
I don't really, just remembered this one, as it is pretty recent.

Re: French Open 2013 Rafael Nadal vs. Daniel Brands under 27 games. 1,97 @ marathonbet (8/10) Nadal vs. single-handed backhand...I can´t see Brands here to be a tough guy to beat for Nadal. Although one should be very cautious at the first stages of a tournament when it come to handicap or under-betting in favor of favorites, I think this line is value and too high. 6-3 6-3 6-3 would be cash-back...when you keep in mind that Brands lost to Hajek 6-1 6-0 the last week, I can´t imagine him to win 9 games against Rafael Nadal. Back Igor Sijsling to beat Jürgen Melzer. 1,96 @ marathonbet (6/10) Perhaps Melzer is the better player, for sure he has the more potential. But he doesn´t get his skills shown on the court too often. His shape is quite bad, he has a losing record of 2 wins vs. 8 losses on clay this year, losing in straight sets against Anderson, Nishikori and Monfils recently. Sijsling has played nice stuff at Düsseldorf, especially against Kohlschreiber, and he could easiliy make it to the final there. His powerful style of play and big serve will cause trouble to Melzer. I consider Sijsling to be favorite here. Back Horacio Zeballos to beat Vasek Pospisil. 1,71 @ marathonbet (9/10). I consider Zeballos to be massive favorite here. Pospisil on clay has challenger level, but nothing more, He has his service, but except of that nearly no weapons, especially when it comes to baseline rallies. Zeballos on the other hand is a very solid player, clay is his best surface. Zeballos´ serve is good enough not to be broken too many times in such a game against an anti-clay courter. This match should be Zeballos´ ticket to round 2.

Re: French Open 2013 Would agree on Berdych having his chance this year. I don't see past Nadal though. Dimitrov also, I like the look of. Anyways for tomorrow morning I'm going for : 3pts M,Raonic vs X.Malisse - Over 33.5 games 2.00 Bet365 1pt X.Malisse to beat M.Raonic 8.00 Bet365 I really cannot see Raonic winning this 3-0. Infact Id give Malisse small chances. Despite his age he is still competitive and Raonic I just love to lay because every single time you see his name he is a massive favorite and loses. He isn't the big shot the bookies seem to think he is. He has gone out in the first round a couple of times recently and I don't think he is a clay/hard court player despite his big serve. Malisse retired from a game recently so there are some injury worries there but I do see him getting a set here,

Re: French Open 2013 Anderson -6.5 Games v Marchenko - Unibet @ 1.63 This matches features Marchenko ranked 120th in the world and Anderson ranked 25th in the world. Anderson has had a really good season so far winning winning 24 games and losing just 10. These two have met each other twice before and Anderson has won on both occasions but they are yet to play on clay. Anderson has beaten the likes of Cilic and Monaco on clay recently which is no easy task and these two are far better than Anderson's opponent today Marchenko. Marchenko actually lost his 3rd qualifying round match against Munoz-De La Nava in straight sets but got through as a lucky loser. Marchenko has not beaten anyone inside the top 100 this year therefore it is highly unlikely that he will beat Anderson. Where as Anderson has not lost to anyone outside the top 35 on clay yet this year. His 4 loses on clay were against Robredo, Cilic and Berdych x2! These all being good clay court players! Marchenko has never got past the first round in the French Open which shows he has not got great experience at the top level. Unibet are offering great odds at a low handicap line here. Where as Pinnacle are offering -7.5 games at 1.64, and Unibet are offering -6.5 Games at 1.63, so these odds are very worthwhile! Simon -6.5 Games v Hewitt - Ladbrokes @ 1.73 This match features simon ranked 17th in the world and Hewitt ranked 85th in the world. First of all Simon is French so is most likely going to be comfortable playing in his home country and no doubt he will have a decent crowd watching and supporting him, I expect this to motivate him! Simon hasn't lost in the first round in the French Open for 3 years and he seems to have really improved as a player. Where as Hewitt lost in the First round last year against Kavcic winning just the one set on a tie break and did not play in the previous year. This two have faced each other 3 times but never on clay which I would argue is Hewitts weakest surface at the moment. Simon has won on all 3 occasions these two have faced each other. He has also never lost a set against the Australian. Hewitt has not won a clay court match in 3 years and I expect that run to continue as I cannot see him beating Simon today never mind winning a set. Simon on the other hand seems to be improving on clay losing just 21 matches to 40 wins in the last 3 years. He has had a tough run of matches recently facing Federer and Murray, he may have lost both matches but he gave a good account for himself and showed he is a much better player than his opponent today. Hewitt has not been in great form winning just 1 of his last 5 matches and losing the only clay court match he has played this year. I would expect Simon to be motivated by the crowd today as he is the highest ranked French man in action. If Simon can perform relatively well then I would expect him to cover this handicap comfortably!

Re: French Open 2013 Strange schedule, not much stands out. Back Go Soeda to beat Joao Sousa for a 2/10 stake at 4.46 with Pinnacle Both are in horrible form, so I am just not sure where this confidence that Sousa is going to win is coming from. He might be the better clay court player of the two, but, on the other hand, he is probably also the slightly worse player overall, which might turn out to be the deciding factor over the longer format. Keeping the stakes low, but Soeda might have a chance at recording the rare win here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/sousa-vs-soeda-betting-go-soeda-looks-value-in-the-battle-of-two-struggling-players-20130526 Back Irena Pavlovic to beat Shelby Rogers for a 2/10 stake at 3.38 with Pinnacle Similar reasoning here, although there is a slight worry that Pavlovic might be carrying an injury after a retirement in her last match. Anyway, if that won't trouble her, I would see this as a fairly equal match-up, with Rogers being in the better form, but not much otherwise (this will also be her first ever French Open appearance, which might play a small role in terms of nerves). Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/pavlovic-vs-rogers-betting-shelby-rogers-looks-overrated-in-the-clash-with-irena-pavlovic-20130526 Back Sofia Arvidsson (+1.5 sets) to beat Sabine Lisicki for a 2/10 stake at 3.19 with Pinnacle Sabine Lisicki has never done that well in the French Open, while Arvidsson showed that she is capable of producing surprisingly good performances by beating Roberta Vinci last year. One set should certainly be within her range, especially since the German can start missing her shots and allow Arvidsson back in at any point of the match. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/arvidsson-vs-lisicki-betting-sabine-lisicki-might-struggle-at-the-start-of-her-french-open-campaign-20130526

Re: French Open 2013 Back Go Soeda (+2,5 Sets) to Beat João Sousa. 1,73 @ pinnaclesports (8/10) Agree with you Czech. Soeda shouldn't be priced so high here. Two players without any sort of shape meet here. I dont think this is Ending in three sets.

Re: French Open 2013 3pts R.Bautista-Agut vs G.Muller - Over 36.5 games 1.80 Bet365 1pt G.Muller to beat Agut 4.00 Bet365 I think this one is going to be close. Muller has a great serve and the h-2-h between these two is close. In 2006 Muller won 2-1. Most recently this year they also played and Agut won it 2-1 but it was a close match (again in 3) Agut has certainly improved over the last year but I think Muller can take it to atleast 4 sets to probably cover this bet.

Re: French Open 2013 I was tempted to actually go over the handicap games on the Federer game. Busta is a bright young prospect. It's a bet I've taken but I have not tipped it here. He tends to give up on sets when going behind, but I see Federer winning this one 3-1. I think Busta will get a set.

Re: French Open 2013 Busta over 9.5 games @ Bet 365 1.80 odds is my big play. He has been playing some great tennis on the clay courts this year. Beating players such as Andujar, Benneteau and pushing Wawrinka to 3 sets. One set going to tie break... sees this one cash. I feel he will be focused here 100% and should show off his talent. Although, I can't see him winning. He could very well win a set though.

Re: French Open 2013 3pts U.Radwanska to beat V.Williams 2.50 Bet365 I only know of one meeting between the two and that was in 2006 when venus won. Maybe when Venus was a good player but nowadays she isn't really anything special. I don't really see how they could of played 7yrs ago when Urzula is 22 (making her 15) but nevertheless that's what the stats I've found are.. maybe they mixed up with A.Radwanska. Anyways I think she can beat Venus today. She is the younger of the two and the groundstrokes I think she is a better player.

Re: French Open 2013 A really bad start for me. Back Andreas Haider-Maurer to beat Nicolas Almagro for a 1/10 stake at 15.00 with Pinnacle Nicolas Almagro isn't a guy that you could always trust in the early rounds of Grand Slams and I am slightly worried about his fitness. He has injured himself in Madrid and then produced a poor performance in Rome before withdrawing from Dusseldorf, so there you go, he might not be fully fit just yet. Haider-Maurer is nowhere near him in terms of overall quality, but he can serve his way out of trouble and, if there is something troubling the Spaniard at the moment, I can see him getting the shock win of the tournament today. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/haider-maurer-vs-almagro-betting-andreas-haider-maurer-to-surprise-everyone-by-beating-nicolas-almagro-20130526 Back Karolina Pliskova to beat Garbine Muguruza for a 3/10 stake at 3.14 with Pinnacle There are some rumors floating around about Muguruza having to undergo an ankle surgery later this year, with the French Open being one of her last events before that happens. Even if that turns out to be false, Lucie Hradecka managed to beat her last week and Karolina Pliskova has a fairly similar playing style, so it wouldn't be surprising to see the Czech out-hitting Muguruza today. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/pliskova-vs-muguruza-betting-karolina-pliskova-looks-value-against-the-world-s-number-seventy-two-20130526 Back Yen-Hsun Lu to beat Simone Bolelli for a 4/10 stake at 1.98 with Pinnacle This isn't going to take place before Tuesday, but I cannot really see the odds going up by too much. Simone Bolelli hasn't played since the ATP Masters in Miami, so he is coming into the French Open in no form whatsoever and that might be a big problem against someone as hard-working as Lu. Moreover, Lu leads the H2H record 1-0, so there shouldn't be any hidden demons in this match-up for the world's number seventy-six. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/lu-vs-bolelli-betting-yen-hsun-lu-should-be-able-to-defeat-simone-bolelli-in-paris-20130526