** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

British Lions Tour 2013

Re: British Lions Tour 2013 Both Lions and Aussie teams announced this morning. Don't know about anyone else but I've got reservations about Vunipolo at LH prop, I don't believe he's quite up to International standard yet. I'm a bit concerned by the fact that Parling will be packing down behind him...I'm not sure he has the bulk/power to push through to help Mako out in the scrum. Chuck in Youngs at Hooker, great line-out thrower and very mobile around the field but not the biggest/best scrummager, and I reckon the Lions will have problems come scrum time. Don't think it'll get any better when Adam Jones goes off either. Looking at the back row I'd have thought the Lions would be playing it tight with an aggressive defence, attacking the breakdown and hitting the rucks and mauls. But the lack of a beefy second-row on the bench - Croft can cover although I haven't seen him play there - plus the percieved weakness in the front row doesn't really fill me with confidence. Additionally, taking a risk on Bowe (great player but not played for over a fortnight so he'll bound to be a bit rusty) with his healed hand and Youngs in at No 9 - only ever seen him playing with a dominant pack, never on the back foot - I'm not totally convinced this is a team that can put the series to bed this Saturday. Aussies don't look particularly good value with 3 points start @ 10/11, it's just that they look better value than the Lions giving up 3 points at the same price. Still, it'll be very interesting on Saturday. Think, on refelection, I'll sit this one out or maybe waste a tenner on the draw.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: British Lions Tour 2013 I've been quiet on the forum throughout the series but I have a few comments. Firstly, well done to the Lions and the coaches in particular. The group is no better or worse (IMO) than 2009 but faced weaker opposition and they won. Full credit to Gats and his tactics and strategy, love it or loathe it. I was leaning towards the Lions for a long while but just thought unless they scored tries they would be open towards Wallabies counters, which happened in the 2nd test. That being said they could have won it with a last minute score and i'm glad they took the opportunity in the final with the backline performing superbly as a unit. In the end, the Friday Guardian column called it with a Wales - England reversal and it was a complete performance. Great tries on show. Secondly, as an Irish rugby supporter I was delighted for a Lions victory for the NH game. My own feeling is that a global season will need to be implemented in the next 12 years so both hemispheres are used to playing on hard surfaces and keeping the skills, laws and ultimately standards global. Idealistic but for now the NH can keep the heads held high despite bickering over selections at 13, lead up games, and profit viability for the tour. As for series' that 'matter' less such as France' 3 test series against fresh AB's (like Ireland last year) there needs to be either an equivalent in the Autumn internationals. Otherwise Test series (which I think are a wonderful product/idea) just make up Rugby Championship practice for SH sides against tired (season ending) NH teams. The players from both sides proved this series matters hugely to rugby worldwide and will continue to do so but there needs to be some scheduling perspective from the IRB on timing of these tours. In the same breath some credit is due to the Tier 2 nations getting games v the Tier 1's this summer. Long overdue and i'm sure the Japanese, Canadians, Americans and Samoans are happy about it to find out where they are in terms of development. Credit is due for the Scottish performance versus the Springboks too. Third, here's to Halfpenny for Player of the Year. Wonderful to see someone who's completely dedicated to his craft (at an untypical 5' 10") play so fearlessly for the past few years. Automatic starter on any side (discounting maybe SA & AB tactics) he deserves it. In another universe it would be Will Genia: easily the best 9 in the world so far this decade notwithstanding his 2012 injury woes. Loved the bollocking he gave to O'Connor at the end of the 2nd for kicking the ball out on the full from the 22'! Finally, well done to all winners on the forum and keep up the mighty work!