** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Grand National Ante-post

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Grand National Ante-post News from Ireland 1) Montys Pass trainer says too much weight and won't like soft ground 2) Paul Carberry (best National jockey) rides Colonel Rayburn and wants soft. I don't know Carrie Ford so have to take the 25/1 about her falling, unseating or being brought down at the first (she has to ride Forest Gunner for bet to stand)

Re: Grand National Ante-post One more thing about the weights. Only Bobbyjo won outside the handicap in donkey's years. For the first time in ages ALL 40 horses this year will be running with their correct weights, which makes it a lot more open than usual. Get that pin out ! !

Grand National Trends Horse should be carrying 11-0st or less The last winner to defy this stat was Corbierre in 1983. Before that Red Rum, and before Red Rum we have to go back to 1957. No French bred has won since 1909 Ignore those wearing headgear Since 1945 only Foinavon 1n 1969, Lescargot in 1975 and Earth Summitt in 1998 have won wearing headgear. 122 others have tried in the last 29 years. Back Older, Experienced Horses It is 89 years since a six year old won and 64 years since a seven year old won. No novice has taken the honours since 1958, and you can ignore those who were novices last season too. Must haave proven stamina Every single winner since 1970 has won over a trip of at least three miles. Ignore previous winners Since Red Rum 15 winners have tried a repeat and their record reads FF53FP4PPP80464 Ignore the winners of The Becher Chase and Tophasm Trophy Since established in 1992 NO winner of the Becher has won and the Topham Winner has never scored either Must have had a recent race The last 20 winners had all had a run within 42 days prior to the race Ignore seasonal debutants None have won since 1889 Run off 137+ in current season 13 of last 14 have done so Able to run in a big field The same 13 all placed in fields of 13+

Re: Grand National Ante-post Well here goes my shortlist, with the most favoured in bold text together with current odds, and from where. 20 NIL DESPERANDUM (25/1, several) (questionable if it meets 3m+ and field size trend rules) 26 POLAR RED (150/1, VC, BetDirect) (fails on winning 3m+ form rule) 30 JUST IN DEBT (28/1, Sporting Odds) (does not meet 137+OR rule) 33 STRONG RESOLVE (11/1, Coral) (does not meet 137+OR rule) 35 LORD ATTERBURY (25/1, SkyBet) (does not meet 137+OR rule) 36 EUROPA (100/1, VC) (does not meet 137+ or 3m+ rules) 38 SIMPLY GIFTED (66/1, several) (does not meet 3m+ rule) Not sure if any of these below will get in or not at present. 41 HUNTERS TWEED (100/1, several) (questionable on 3m+ rule, does not meet 137+ rule) 44 NATIVE EMPEROR (66/1, Ladbrokes) (MEETS ALL RULES) 46 GARVIVONNIAN (100/1, Sporting Odds) (does not meet 137+ rule) Shortlisting carried out by ruling out in the first instance anything: French 42+ days since last run 6, 7, 11, 12, 13 years old carrying above 11st Of course, trends are there to be broken!

Re: Grand National Ante-post Checking going history, and LORD ATTERBURY and EUROPA are questionable on the current going. However, wrt NATIVE EMPEROR, this quote from March 2004: "We had hoped he might be a SunAlliance horse but wasn’t quite quick enough for the race. We always felt he would probably stay. He would probably be better with softer ground but over the distance it didn’t really matter. Hopefully he will turn out to be a National horse one day" - Jonjo O'Neill, trainer. 4 to come out - certainly possible!

Re: Grand National Ante-post Ok, my shortlist is (using these rules with 52 days instead + a couple from Expert Betting Advice) Prices from Ladbrokes in brackets (though betfair will easily be best on this race). Also bets I made yesterday on betfair. Hedgehunter (8/1) Glenally Gale (100/1) (have 229/1) It Takes Time (20/1) (have 24/1) Frenchman's Creek (40/1) (have 74/1) Spot Thedifference (25/1) (have 31/1)

Re: Grand National Ante-post Other bets placed David's Lad @ 299/1 (layed off @ 169/1) Lord Noelie @ 189/1 (out) A Piece Of Cake @ 409/1 (layed off @ 299/1) Swansea Bay @ 809/1 (didn't make cut) Arctic Copper @ 469/1

Re: Grand National Ante-post

As far as I know the only trend that Amberleigh house broke last year was the one about not having run in the National before, and that is one I don't use (and didn't post) anyway.
Amberliegh House ran in the National the previous year. The trend that Amberleigh House broke, still not one that you posted though, was that any horse previously placed in the National has a very poor record.

Re: Grand National Ante-post Yeah, some of the trends are connected. ie - Past winners rarely win because they are too high in the weights, not because they've won before. 13 year olds don't win anyway, so you can cross Amberleigh House off without hesitation.

Re: Grand National Ante-post Hi fellas, my shortlist is as follows, pleased to see most of them have been getting postive messages on here: It Takes Time (24) Clan Royal (12) Nil Desperandum (29) Forest Gunner (13) Spot Thedifference (32) Lord Atterbury (38) Frenchman's Creek (75) I'm considering backing them all to win!