** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Indian Premier League 2013

kevshat

The Indian high powered T20 competition starts in just over a week on Wednesday April 3 so it's about time to get the thread started for what is always a decent, if a bit long, tournament. The whole season will be live on ITV4 once again and with no major international cricket until the middle of May it's a lot easier to work out who is available and when. There are too many fixtures to copy the schedule in here but the fixture list can be found here: http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2013/content/series/586733.html?template=iplfixtures

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Had a look at the pre-tournament markets, couple seem to stand out: Top Batsman Michael Hussey - 20/1 - 1pt e/w (1/4 1-5) @betvictor Shane Watson - 33/1 - 1pt e/w (1/4 1-5) @coral Trying to find some value elsewhere, as although Gayle is mightily impressive, he's not my idea of a bet at 3s or 4s. Last year Hussey scored an impressive 261 in 8 innings. We can't say for certain, but had he played the whole campaign, his form suggested he would have been in the top 4/5 runscorers. I like this bet this time round as he is available for all the campaign, and for a side I expect to go far (CSK). He looks like their star overseas batsman, so I'd imagine he will get a nice spot in the top 4. The year before he got just shy of 500 with a full campaign, and finished top 5. So looks a good e/w bet. My second pick is another Aussie in Watson. An impressive short campaign last season of 255 in just 7 games, he's another one who will hope a full campaign this time will push him towards the 500 mark. He's a consistent player, and I like at least one selection to be an opener, as obviously they get the chance to score the really big knocks this affords. Its a real shameDhawan has picked up an injury that will rule him out of the first few games, as he looked a good bet with the confidence of his recent knock, and previous IPL form. Top Bowler Dale Steyn - 14/1 - 1pt e/w (1/4 1-4) @paddypower Ravi Jadeja - 66/1 - 0.5pt e/w (1/4 1-4) @paddypower Ben Hilfenhaus - 100/1 - 0.5pt e/w (1/4 1-4) @paddypower Steyn may not be the most inventive of selections, but he's a pure wicket-taker. 18 wickets from just 12 matches last season, and good records the previous years (around the 15 mark). This won't be enough to win it for him, but an improvement on last years 18 may just do so. Steyn's pace always poses a threat though, and he doesn't particularly rely on conditions as some other bowlers do, so happy to take 14s on him. Hilfenhaus has to be punted at this price for me. Last season he clocked 14 wickets in just 9 matches. Perhaps his style of bowling encourages wickets as players feel they can get after him, but he is deceptive and very under-rated. If he can get a longer campaign, he'll hope to push towards the 20 mark, which will put him right in contention for an e/w payout. Jadeja should also give a good account for himself. He is in form, taking a nice 24 wickets in the recent series with Australia. He only got low teens last season, but I feel 66s may be over-looking him slightly, and if he can continue his good form on, he could be in with a squeak. Overall Winner I think this market doesn't represent much value for me at present. I fancy Mumbai Indians, Chennai Super Kings and Royal Challengers Bangalore, but of course these three are all at the front of the market. Indeed the top 5 in the market are not much different in price, varying from 4/1 to 11/2. It's not something I fancy at the moment, but of course it could change later on if a team has a bad start etc etc.

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Here's an early one for me, Top Batsman Quinton De Kock 100/1 EW SkyBet (5places 1/4 odds) The young South Arfican dasher has signed for the Hyderbad Sunrisers and has been in scintilating form on the South African domestic circuit for the Lions, the fact that he keeps wicket means he should be a regular in their side, okay they wont be fancied to go far into the competition but this lad could cause havoc opening with the 6 power play overs up front when the ball comes on in India ,is well over priced considering the way he's striking the ball at the moment.

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Thanks Kev, lets hope we all have a good IPL. The winner market looks too difficult to call with the prices not being overly attractive so I'm having a few punts in the team outright markets. 2pts – Rohit Sharma Top Mumbai Indian Batsman – 4/1 (BET365) 1pt – Ambati Rayadu – 9/1 (STANJAMES) It’s not often you look beyond players of the calibre of Ricky Ponting and Sachin Tendulkar but I’m going to be doing that with these bets. I feel both are past their best and will struggle to score consistently. With that in mind I’m taking one of Rohit Sharma or Ambati Rayadu to top score for MI. Rohit Sharma is a class act and although he hasn’t quite done the business on the international stage, in the IPL format he is a big performer. He has all the shots in the book and he’s a shoe in at number 3 where he will get ample opportunity to build big scores. He won this market last time around and I feel he will go well again in IPL 2013. If Sharma doesn’t land it, I’m backing Rayadu to. He has had a stellar domestic season scoring consistently and has a proven track record in the IPL. I feel he’ll bat at number 4 where again he’ll have good time in the middle. He 2nd top scored for MI last time around with 333 runs at an average of 37 so at 9/1 looks good value for money. 1pt – Irfan Pathan Top Delhi Bowler – 7/1 (STANJAMES) 0.25pts – Siddarth Kaul Top Delhi Bowler – 20/1 (STANJAMES) This is an interesting market, Morne Morkel is obviously the clear favourite to take most wickets for Delhi but there could be scenarios where he could be left out to accommodate another overseas player. With that in mind and also the fact that when Morkel is playing the bowlers at the other end could get cheap wickets due to the pressure he exerts I’m taking Irfan Pathan to land most wickets. He’s a valuable cricketer who’ll play every game injury permitting and with Umesh Yadav just returning from injury and probably not firing on all cylinders I think Pathan is worth a shot to compete with Morkel in this market. I’ve also taken an outside punt on young pacer Sid Kaul. I follow Indian domestic cricket a fair bit and this kid has had a good season. Obviously there’s no guarantee he’ll play but should he play in an early game and make an impression it would be difficult to leave him out. Small bet for me at a potentially big price. 2pts – Gautam Gambhir Top KKR Batsman – 5/2 (STANJAMES) I like Gambhir in this market, having been left out of India’s test squad against Australia he will have a big point to prove and he’s the kind of batsman who excels when his back is against the wall. Captaining the side he has shown to lead from the front and having won this same market hands down last year I fancy him to top score once more for the Knight Riders.

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Good luck everyone getting involved in this years IPL. I am not entirely sure what just happened to auto-save but I just lost a 500-plus word post with my tips ahead of this years competition. I really can't bring myself to do all the formatting and re-typing again so if you fancy a gander at my tips, head here. Let's hope Wednesday is the start of a great few weeks of cricket. Fingers crossed this is another profitable tournament from everyone.

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Welcome back Tyler. Good to have another regular back on board. As for the formatting, change the editor to source mode when you copy across (the blue and black A's box in top left corner of posting box). Will appear as typed then :ok

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Tournament preview: 3pts Chennai Super Kings to win IPL6 4/1 Bet365 1pt ew Pune Warriors to win IPL6 10/1 Paddy Power Chennai have an excellent record in this tournament having made the semi finals in every season so far and the final in every season that the tournament has been held in India, winning two of those finals. Led by the wonderfully cool and classy MS Dhoni, Chennai have the right mix of Indian and overseas players with the likes of Suresh Raina, R Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja all excellent Indian stars and Michael Hussey, Dwayne Bravo and Alfie Morkel all good overseas players. It is hard to argue with Chennai’s record and with the Sri Lankan players not allowed to play in Chennai this season depriving Chennai’s opponents of the likes of Lasith Malinga, Mahela Jayawardene, Ajantha Mendis and Muttiah Muralitharan against them that advantage can’t be underestimated. If a side is to challenge the strength of the main five this season it could well be the Pune Warriors. Allan Donald is the head coach there now and I think he’ll install a discipline among his players which will see them perform better. They have an excellent core of Indian players with the likes of Yuvraj Singh and Robin Uthappa among them while their overseas players include the likes of Ajantha Mendis, Marlon Samuels and Aaron Finch who are all good players in this format. Pune haven’t gone well in their first two seasons in the IPL but I think they have plenty of improvement in them and they look good each way options to the main bet of the Chennai Super Kings. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/indian-premier-league-betting-chennai-super-kings-can-maintain-their-excellent-record-in-the-competition-20130402

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Good to see the likes of Westy, Tyler and Kevshat back posting on the threads. Im so glad the summer is starting now with the IPL, ICC Trophy and back to back Ashes. Im not really much of a tipster as my tips never seem to win but I will defiantly post my thoughts in the coming few months and may even put up a tip or 2. Good luck to everyone :)

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 To finish bottom preview: 2pts Kings XI Punjab to finish bottom of IPL6 7/2 Coral The Punjab side have struggled for the last few IPL’s and while they put together a decent run in last year’s tournament they were never serious challengers to the top four. Adam Gilchrist returns as captain which I’m immediately not sure about but while their Australian contingent gives them good quality options in overseas players their Indian players aren’t as strong in depth which is an issue. With Gilchrist skippering the side only 3 other overseas slots are available so some of their best players will have to stay on the sidelines so at 7/2 I think the Punjab side could be the ones propping the rest up after the league stage. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/indian-premier-league-betting-kings-xi-punjab-could-struggle-in-the-sixth-season-of-the-ipl-20130402

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Top tournament batsman preview: 1pt ew A.Rahane Top Tournament Batsman 25/1 Bet365 (1/4 1-5) 1pt ew M.Samuels Top Tournament Batsman 50/1 Betfred (1/4 1-5) One player I’ve always liked the look of is Ajinkya Rahane who will open the batting for the Rajasthan Royals. Sometimes Rahane can take a few balls to get in and get going but this year he will have Shane Watson alongside him so he can take his time while Watson goes after the bowling unlike last year when Dravid was his partner and he had to attack from the first ball. Even though he attacked from the first ball last year he was still the fourth top scorer in the tournament and of the three above him, Gambhir had two extra innings and Dhawan misses the start of the IPL this season. At 25/1 he looks to have plenty in his favour particularly with Rajasthan playing all their home games in Jaipur. If we think back to the World T20 tournament one man who was a star of that tournament was Marlon Samuels and although he hasn’t been back from injury long I think the Pune Warriors will be looking for some quality from their West Indian batsman. Samuels has been a star batsman for the last 12 months or so and he’s capable of destroying any bowling attack on any day. He hits it a long way and clobbers seam and spin both as far as each other. At 50/1 he has to be overpriced to top score this season and is worth an each way punt. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/indian-premier-league-betting-ajinkya-rahane-and-marlon-samuels-should-go-well-with-the-bat-this-season-20130402

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Top tournament bowler preview: 1pt ew M.Patel Top Tournament Bowler 33/1 Boylesports (1/4 1-5) 0.5pts ew Y.Singh Top Tournament Bowler 100/1 Boylesports (1/4 1-5) 1pt ew S.Ahmed Top Tournament Bowler 150/1 Boylesports (1/4 1-5) Mumbai Indians have a very good bowling attack and one vital cog in that attack is Munaf Patel who looks a big price at 33/1. He was the second highest wicket taker in the IPL in 2011 with 22 scalps and he went well last year with 15 wickets which had him just outside the top 10 but he only played in 12 of Mumbai’s 17 matches so had he not missed some through injury he would have been bang in the mix again. His nagging line and good length make him hard to score off and when batsmen attack him they come unstuck so he looks a good bet to me. Yuvraj is nothing special with the ball but he has an excellent habit of picking up wickets which is exactly what you need in this format really. I think he’ll bowl his four overs which gives him a chance and at 100/1 he’s worth a small bet. At an even bigger price Shami Ahmed is worth a bigger bet. His T20 statistics make fantastic reading. He has 34 wickets in 21 matches at an average of just 12.73 a wicket. His economy is only 6.15 runs per over so he’s hard to get away but so far in his career he takes a wicket every 12.4 deliveries. If he maintains those stats for the Knight Riders in this tournament he will be very close in the top wicket taking list. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/indian-premier-league-betting-indian-trio-look-overpriced-in-the-top-bowler-market-20130402

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Game one preview: 4pts Kolkata Knight Riders to beat Delhi Daredevils 4/5 Ladbrokes With the batting issues Delhi Daredevils are having to cope with I can’t look beyond the champions in this match. They didn’t have the best record in home matches last season but with Sunil Narine hard to get away and Shami Ahmed a threat with the new ball I think a light Delhi batting line up will have problems. Kolkata have a few injuries themselves but they have sufficient cover for all of them and they can kick off IPL6 with a win. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/kolkata-knight-riders-vs-delhi-daredevils-betting-defending-champions-can-kick-season-off-with-a-win-20130403

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 will follow your advise re fixtures on espn im new to this format forum and wish to find more info on the telegraph fantasy league I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction on players to keep an eye on / pick ta wayneken

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 One bowler outright... 1pt ew (5, 1/4) – Amit Mishra Top Tournament Bowler – 40/1 (BOYLESPORTS) Amit Mishra has a proven IPL record and has challenged the top of the wicket taking charts in a few seasons. In 2011 he finished 5th bagging 19 wickets and in 2010 took 17 wickets finishing 2nd in the charts. Being a legspinner there are always cheap wickets on offer and he is enough skill and guile to bag a wicket when the batsmen are not looking to tonk him. At 40/1 with each way terms he looks a fair bet to have a good season.

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 And one for the opening game... 1pt – Unmukt Chand Top Delhi Run Scorer – 5/1 (BET365) Virender Sehwag has been ruled out with injury leaving an opening slot available. It could be that Jayawardene will go up top to open with Warner but with the Delhi line up being depleted by injuries he could well drop down the order to provide some stability and experience to the line up. This will give Unmukt Chand a chance at the top of the order. This kid is a real talent having briefly showed glimpses last season but I feel he will really announce himself in this edition. He is a hard hitting batsman very much in the Sehwag mould with certain shots like the square cut and rate of scoring. A cameo knock could be good enough to top score today.

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Two more outrights before we begin..... 1pt S.Ahmed Top Kolkata Knight Riders Tournament Bowler 33/1 Bet365 Reasoning in the outright write up above. At the price it's a no brainer to cover him for the KKR bowler market too. 2pts U.Chand Top Delhi Daredevils Tournament Batsman 7/1 Boylesports Unmukt Chand comes into this tournament looking to make a name for himself in the same way the likes of Ajinkya Rahane and Shikhar Dhawan did last season and with all the injuries the Daredevils have with their batting line up he should get a solid chance to do just that. From last year there is no Kevin Pietersen who is injured, no Ross Taylor who is now a Pune Warrior and Jesse Ryder won't be playing either. Mahela Jayawardene and Virender Sehwag come into the tournament under injury clouds while Dave Warner looked more than a little scratchy in the test series in India last month and that's the main set of batsmen accounted for in this Delhi side. We also have to remember that Mahela will definitely miss the Chennai away game too. Unmukt Chand made a bit of a name for himself in the India under 19 side in the World Cup and he comes into this tournament in blistering form. In the domestic T20 competition in India he hit back to back centuries and followed that up with a half century showing that he's hitting it well and is capable of long innings. I don't know exactly where the youngster will bat but I would expect it to be somewhere in the top four and at 7/1 he's the value in this particular field.

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 One more for today to go along with the Kolkata punt. 4pts Under 10.5 6's 5/6 Sportingbet This line looks a little bit on the high side because both sides are missing some big hitters which means that both sides will go in with fairly conservative top orders. Gambhir, Kallis and Tiwary will be the mainstays of the Kolkata innings and none of them are renowned big hitters while Mahela Jayawardene will most likely open for Delhi and aim to spend most of the time at the crease and he's not a big hitter either. Both sides have slightly longer tails so I would expect them to be a bit cautious up front to make sure they don't run out of batting completely. Even in the absence of Morne Morkel both sides have good bowling attacks who will look to contain the batsmen and while Eden Gardens isn't the biggest ground in the world the wicket there can be a bit tacky so when you put that all together this line looks a smidgeon on the high side as I don't expect to see 11 DLF maximums in this one.

Re: Indian Premier League 2013

One more for today to go along with the Kolkata punt. 4pts Under 10.5 6's 5/6 Sportingbet This line looks a little bit on the high side because both sides are missing some big hitters which means that both sides will go in with fairly conservative top orders. Gambhir, Kallis and Tiwary will be the mainstays of the Kolkata innings and none of them are renowned big hitters while Mahela Jayawardene will most likely open for Delhi and aim to spend most of the time at the crease and he's not a big hitter either. Both sides have slightly longer tails so I would expect them to be a bit cautious up front to make sure they don't run out of batting completely. Even in the absence of Morne Morkel both sides have good bowling attacks who will look to contain the batsmen and while Eden Gardens isn't the biggest ground in the world the wicket there can be a bit tacky so when you put that all together this line looks a smidgeon on the high side as I don't expect to see 11 DLF maximums in this one.
Pepsi maximums you mean ;) Top start for you sir!

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Pepsi Max's :lol. Cheers mate :ok. Game two preview: 4pts Mumbai Indians to beat Bangalore Royal Challengers 23/20 Betfair Both sides go into this match under new captains but even though there’s no Malinga I think Mumbai have the more reliable bowling attack and so at odds against I’m happy to take them. Of course the x-factor is Chris Gayle but he hasn’t been in the best of nick in recent times so it might just take him a while to get going. Bangalore’s batting looks a little on the light side if Gayle doesn’t fire and with de Villiers and Pujara potentially both not around. I’m no fan of Ricky Ponting as a captain but he has more experience than Virat Kohli and a better all round side at his disposal so I’ll take Mumbai here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/bangalore-royal-challengers-vs-mumbai-indians-betting-ricky-ponting-can-pick-up-a-win-in-his-first-game-as-captain-20130403

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 4pts – Kieron Pollard 34pts & over player performance – 5/6 (BET365) Points are scored as follows; 1pt per run, 10pts per catch, 20pts per wicket This looks an attainable line for a 3D cricketer like Pollard. He is always in the game be it with the bat, ball or in the field. Having said that I fancy him to go well with the bat alone in this game given the usual nature of the Bangalore track and the fact that there are no real bowlers who will give him sleepless nights in the RCB attack. Additonally he’s the kind of bowler who the opposition will look to target so a cheap wicket could be bagged. Overall I fancy the big West Indian to cover a player performance line of 34pts.

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Nice start Kev. Didn't get time to write my tip yesterday before the start yesterday but as I said in my preview I always like to get on Unders in the Runs market whenever KKR bowl first at Eden Gardens. Stan James had their line set at UNDER 152. Wasn't even close. Today will be something similar. The Chinnaswamy is a pitch prone to high scores and both sides are equally capable of doing so. There is no Malinga for Mumbai today, neither Zaheer for Bangalore beaning both sides two premier bowlers miss out. I will back any side to post a decent score here so as soon as the markets become available I will look for overs on the runs. If any bookmakers go as low as Over 160, I'll bite. Good luck to anyone having a go.

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Yep Mumbai did us no favours there. All the more annoying as I'm convinced that the ball Pollard hit to the boundary was a six not a four and that would have forced the super over at worst :wall. Friday preview: 4pts Pune Warriors to beat Sunrisers Hyderabad 8/11 Ladbrokes I like Pune this season and I think they might be catching the Sunrisers at the right time. It will naturally take Hyderabad a game or two to gel and get going this season particularly with their new recruits. I’m not a fan of Kumar Sangakkara as a captain which is another concern I have with Hyderabad. Pune look like they have a strong side from 1-11 and even at odds on I like their chances in this match. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/sunrisers-hyderabad-vs-pune-warriors-betting-pune-can-get-their-season-off-to-a-fast-start-20130404

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Another outright preview: 2pts S.Marsh Top Kings XI Punjab Batsman 5/1 BetVictor One man who I expect to play a prominent role for the Kings XI this season is Shaun Marsh. Marsh top scored in the entire tournament in the first season of the IPL and he comes into this season off the back of top scoring in the Big Bash League earlier in the winter. We know the wickets in Mohali suit Marsh and what I like about him is he plays himself in before he attacks so he isn’t likely to make too many low scores. We are guessing a little bit with Kings XI’s overseas combinations but I would expect Marsh to start the season and he looks a tasty price at 5/1 to top score for them if he keeps his place. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/indian-premier-league-betting-shaun-marsh-looks-a-good-price-to-top-score-for-the-kings-xi-this-season-20130405

Re: Indian Premier League 2013 Saturday's early match preview: 4pts Rajasthan Royals to beat Delhi Daredevils 13/10 Bet365 I think the only thing which might beat Rajasthan in this match is their own rustiness because this Delhi batting line up looks very light. Rajasthan have invested well in bowlers and have enough quality in their own batting line up to put enough runs on the board to win this match. Even were Virender Sehwag to play I still don’t think this Daredevils batting line up will have enough and Rajasthan look a big price to me here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/delhi-daredevils-vs-rajasthan-royals-betting-rajasthan-can-take-advantage-of-delhi-s-light-batting-line-up-20130405