** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

ANZ netball

binomial

Central Pulse to win it $51 1u Pulse have picked up former league MVP Liana Leota and now can pretty much field a starting line up who have played for NZ or Australia. Northern Mystics are rated the second best NZ team by the bookmakers despite losing numerous quality players and being destroyed 45-24 by the WC Fever in the warm up tournament. I think the Pulse will be way stronger than the Mystics this season and should be in the top 2 NZ teams. Generally two teams from each country make the playoffs due to the structure where teams play the other teams in their home country twice and the other country once. Making the playoffs is not the same as winning it, but I think this represents value and hopefully provides opportunities to look this in later in the season.

Re: ANZ netball Melbourne Vixens -4.5 3u (unit range is 1-3) Melbourne were runner up last year, won the preseason comp and are this years favourite with the bookmakers. I am not huge on them this year, but neither was I last season at some expense. They have lost Corletto to the Mystics but picked up a couple of quality players in Mcleod and Steel from the Firebirds. Mcmahon returns having missed all of last season. Its hard to go and win in NZ and the Australian teams often get overrated, but I am pretty down on the Mystics. This article summarises their changes: [h=3]Northern Mystics[/h] S5U2892-290x290.jpg Northern Mystics at Vixens Summer Challenge. Photo by Tom Griffiths The Northern Mystics have had an interrupted pre-season thus far, losing defender Charlotte Kight to an Achilles rupture and newly appointed captain of the team, Anna Harrison, who announced recently that she is pregnant. The Mystics also lost Jade Clark, who moved to the Tactix during the offseason, and legend of the game, Temepara George, who retired at the end of the 2012 ANZ Championship. But it was not all bad news for the Mystics, keeping key players Kayla Cullen, Catherine Latu and Maria Tutaia. They also signed Australian star defender, Julie Corletto, who moved from the Melbourne Vixens to the New Zealand based team to be closer to her husband, Daryl Corletto, who plays basketball for the New Zealand Breakers. Despite these international players, the Mystics finished the pre-season tournament in Melbourne win no wins from three games. The team were without Maria Tutaia, who did not travel over with the team, which proved that she is an important member of the team. http://www.sportingjournal.com.au/2013/03/netball-season-preview-thunderbirds-mystics/ Losing three players two of whom would probably have rated in the top 10 best players on the planet last year, with Kight also being quality seems pretty huge to me. They have picked up Saunders two weeks ago but coach said she may go with rookies instead due to her not being fainmiliar with the other players. Game is being played in Nelson where a game is never been played before reducing any home court advantage. Coach of Mystics expects a touch up: The Auckland team have a brutal start to the year, with early title favourites the Melbourne Vixens first up at Trusts Stadium on Monday night, followed by a trip to Perth to face Norma Plummer's Fever side, before returning home to face the Firebirds. "I have no doubt this season is going to be challenging, we've had a few setbacks, we just need to be resilient and go out there and do it really," said Aitken http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10873040

Re: ANZ netball Steel +12.5 2u Firebirds v Steel under 102 2u Firebirds have lots of new and young players, Medhurst quoted as saying they were wearing name tags for the first few weeks of training. Don't see them geling and crushing in game one. These teams played in the preseason and it was 30-28, with ten minute quarters instead of 15. Home court will help, but I think there is quite a bit of value here.

Re: ANZ netball Pulse finishing in the top 4 considered a joke: Here's something that should get a laugh at the TAB's Petone headquarters - the Central Pulse fancy themselves as title contenders this year. Joline Henry talked emphatically about the team being top-four material this year; now new recruit Liana Leota has trumped that by predicting a top-two finish. Both were asked by The Dominion Post if they really wanted statements like that to be on the record and each was adamant that they did. The TAB does not possess quite the same confidence in the Pulse, predicting that only the lowly Canterbury Tactix have less chance of being crowned trans-Tasman Netball League champions than Henry, Leota and company. Either Henry and Leota are barking mad or the TAB doesn't know netball from its elbow, because there's quite a disparity in expectation. Realistically, the truth lies somewhere in between. http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/netball/8462617/New-Pulse-recruit-Leota-is-full-of-confidence

Re: ANZ netball Don't mean to be one THOSE after the fact guys but went pretty heavy on the over 101 in the firebirds v steel game... twin tower shooters at either end and weak mid courts sold me.. No real feel on the later games - slight lean to t-birds given pulse winless record in aust but -8.5 is a bit steep.. Total in the late game looks skinny given the tactix matador defense

Re: ANZ netball My other early leans with out doing any research would be Magic and Pulse. Pulse looked fairly ordinary in general but won two quarters. They had a hideous start to the third which they lost 13-5 but apart from that it was pretty even. Steel kept with the Firebirds who I am seeing as overated. Swifts looked pretty good against the fever, but the fever were hideous. They won the first quarter by 11 then only won the remainder by 3 goals, despite the fever self destructing, with some help from the swifts defence. Magic look the team to beat for mine. Despite a fairly inexperienced midfield they were in the groove early.

Re: ANZ netball tend to disagree about the fever. even with player loss mystics are way more talented for mine, but suffer from inexperience and unfamiliaraity. fitness and travel distance are positives for fever. latu and Tutaia should have it pretty easy against fever defenders, whereas there is always a decent chance that either cox or the mad stork will shoot under 70%. that said quite like the over.

Re: ANZ netball Had the wrong idea on the fever. Pulse +5.5 2u Pulse under 101.5 1u In Pulse's five games v the Australian teams last season the highest score was 93 and the average 87. Super coach Broughton: In order to match the Firebirds, Broughton says the Pulse are going to have to lift a patchy through-court defence, particularly if they want to pressure the feed into 1.96m Jamaican shooter Romelda Aiken.

Re: ANZ netball steel don't have much but their new giant shooter, although tend to get the best out of the talent they have. they were clearing out the circle for her which is something i have not really seen before. quality of adelaide's midfield should make it alot harder for them. not sure whether the massive increase in scoring will last but going with it for the time being. Thunderbirds ML $1.88 1.5u Steel v Thundrebirds over 107.5 1.5u

Re: ANZ netball she can get a little flighty. Thunerbirds get the job done but given the quality of their line up and how long they have been playing together they are looking fairly ordinary for mine. Fever +11.5 1u Fever over 103.5 3u Firebirds -9.5 3u Firebirds over 108.5 2u fever and magic score was 114 last year, albeit with low turnovers and good shooting. magic's defence has been impressive but i am thinking fever should play decent at home and score in the 50s and i think magic should be able to score pretty easily on fever defence. Mystics got clubbed every quarter last week with wholesale player and positional changes not helping, the former nz coach looking rather clueless. Think firebirds should also be able to rack up a big score against them.

Re: ANZ netball I pegged this early game Magic -7.5 and 105 ...so Bit of an edge with the fever but not sure if I want to step in front of this magic buzz saw at the moment... Total is right where I pegged it but just seems so easy to bet the over at the moment.. Will probably pass on this game..

Re: ANZ netball Pulse ML $1.80 1u Pulse -1.5 $1.95 1u Pulse over 94.5 1u Vixens -20.5 2u Vixens over 105.5 2u pretty hard to take the pulse as favourites as they are serial chokers demonstrated again last week. Not a great deal between the teams bit home court is playing pretty huge so i think they should get this done. tactix blew up in the second half versus the steel for no real reason, against the pressure of the vixens they should struggle pretty badly. Vixens beat them by 24 last season away. if they don't it pretty much has to go over so I think the chance of losing both bets is fairly low, although vixens could run the bench for alot of the second half which may cause problems. Tactix have only been under a total of 105.5 once in their last ten games.

Re: ANZ netball Vixens were very unimpressive, hard to know how much of it was just couldn't get excited about playing the tactix. Firebirds to win it $5 1u Already playing well but should continue to improve with familiarity and experience more than other teams. Romelda Aiken appears in stunning form. Think there is a good chance they will be the best Australian team. With the Thundrebirds game there is such difference in the odds available ...... Pulse -2.5 3u They looked pretty ordinary last week even though they beat the swifts fairly comfortably. With Joline Henry looking unlikely to make a useful contribution they are not the premiership threat I envisioned. That said they have played ok against two of what are probably top 4 sides and handled the swifts who are decent. Steel have recruit of the year but not a great deal else, think the line should be more like -5. Pulse over 107.5 2u

Re: ANZ netball My book has tbirds -4 with the fever side juiced pretty heavily.. not much of an edge for me, pegged the tbirds as -6 faves.. see a lot of love for the fever on the basis of what they did last week but one breakout game doesn't convince me.. I had the total for this one at 102.5 so a case for the under but with scoring the way it has been I'm only interested in playing when my numbers find an edge for the over at this stage..