** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

cheltenham chat thread 2013

beaker1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: cheltenham chat thread 2013 Hi Guys sorry not been around but having a bit of a shake up at work and home life. So not been able to concentate so much on Cheltenham this year.I know I have been quiet. Still like a few on here a couple of tips are to ensure your horse was 1st or 2nd and ran in the last 2 months.Also ignore a lot of the favourites look at the 2nd and 3rd seriously. I note a few of the fancies have not even ran this year so personally they are scrubbed on my list. Seems to be consistent year in year out.Look at horse below 9 years and below. And horses placed last festival and have cheltenham form do well for good e/w bets. Anyhow been looking and getting excited again - going to try something different this year betting when offered at NRMB and closer to race time .Something regarding the Kim Muir - recently seems to have gone to a high weighted class horse that is fancied over last couple of years. I feel the Triumph is poor this year and think that the irish fancy just may stand a good chance this year. Always respect this site and contributors some of the nicest people around. Happ betting guys - break a hoof !!

Re: cheltenham chat thread 2013

x2 :) the goose pimples are starting and ive got 27 races still to look at over the next 12 days, buy the weekender preview next week also also review last years papers and my staking - got records i retain each year (statto!)
Im the other way round... I have to try and ignore everything until the night before and then go through the card. I cant be messing with the routine! haha So what is everyone's target then? Winner or two a day? Break even? 50pt+ profit? I think I will start with 50pt profit and review it after the Wedsnesday... For the only two years I have been doing this I have been better on the last two days so if I can head into Thursday with a small profit I will be a happy man!

Im the other way round... I have to try and ignore everything until the night before and then go through the card. I cant be messing with the routine! haha So what is everyone's target then? Winner or two a day? Break even? 50pt+ profit? I think I will start with 50pt profit and review it after the Wedsnesday... For the only two years I have been doing this I have been better on the last two days so if I can head into Thursday with a small profit I will be a happy man!
only 1 target = profit even if i have a blank day, nothing changes for the next day and believe it or not, just 1 winner can make you a profit I possibly have around 60 bets overt the 4 days as often back more than 1 in each race. So perhaps a 50/1 winner in amongst them will help and its been known to get one!!! My philosophy this year is to possibly not back anything under 5/1, not sure why but just feel there is no value for anything shorter. I suppose my only thought is if i only fancy 1 in a race and its that price i may back it. No logic is there!! Cant wait though Im also having an ew L63 each day with 2 mates, we pick 2 horses each and hope for a profitable week finishing with golf on the friday and in the pub watching the racing :)

Re: cheltenham chat thread 2013 the lull before the storm i feel, today has some decent cards to choose from and ive got one eye on cheltenham but i feel there is money to be made today (fingers crossed) I do love all the pundits though on the media getting thier word in on horses for the festival, at the moment i think i have heard so many different tips its a lottery!!! I always look back at the tips for each race in the RP from the main papers, its suprising how many dont find a winner as they tend to stick to the 1st 5 in the betting

the lull before the storm i feel, today has some decent cards to choose from and ive got one eye on cheltenham but i feel there is money to be made today (fingers crossed) I do love all the pundits though on the media getting thier word in on horses for the festival, at the moment i think i have heard so many different tips its a lottery!!! I always look back at the tips for each race in the RP from the main papers, its suprising how many dont find a winner as they tend to stick to the 1st 5 in the betting
Yipp fully agree, or the tipsters that name them all, then after the race say the words we never like hearing...........Told you that would WIN !

Re: cheltenham chat thread 2013 started to do a couple of bets we are offered NRNB, just for info these are : ew accy plays 32,000 to 1 !! Our Mick JLT 9/1 Hollow Tree Coral Cup 33/1 Smad Place World 16/1 Grandouet Champ Hurdle 13/2 Single Tetlami Grand Annual 14/1 Our Mick 9/1 JLT EW double Our Mick 9/1 JLT Hollow Tree 33/1 Coral Cup

Re: cheltenham chat thread 2013 ive put up stats in recent years and some loathe them and others love them, so i will continue some i find interesting From ATR cheltenham site, trainers yet to have a winner at the festival with more than 20 runners to date Charlie Mann 0-33 Tom George 0-33 Ian Williams 0-30 Paul Webber 0-28 Peter Bowen 0-26 Dermot Weld 0-26 Nick Williams 0-26 The up-and-coming duo of Tim Vaughan and Charlie Longsdon are both also seeking their first winner having sent out 0-20 apiece. & Jockeys ! Jamie Moore 0-54 Christian Williams 0-35 Leighton Aspell 0-25 Paul Moloney 0-28 Sam Thomas 1-67 David Casey 1-73

Re: cheltenham chat thread 2013 Anyone know any betting for abandoned due to frost. early warning for cheltenham week is around -6 for the yorkshire region. Cheltenham quite a few miles away i know but the weather at moment is expected to blow in from the east bringing a sharp drop in temperatures for the UK. These are just eary warnings and could change but worth a bet if theres a bit of value about.

Anyone know any betting for abandoned due to frost. early warning for cheltenham week is around -6 for the yorkshire region. Cheltenham quite a few miles away i know but the weather at moment is expected to blow in from the east bringing a sharp drop in temperatures for the UK. These are just eary warnings and could change but worth a bet if theres a bit of value about.
That's not even worth thinking about.

Re: cheltenham chat thread 2013 anyone have any thoughts on Whispering Gallery trained by John Ferguson? I think he is probably going to be in the Neptune where he is currently 40/1! This horse was a group 3 winner on the flat 3 starts ago. He has clearly had problems but he looks to have been brought right back to his best judging on his 2 starts over hurdles for his new trainer. Both his wins have come on soft ground but I would expect him to show even more on better ground. This is arguably one of the best races of the festival and his trainer was unlucky in the race last year with Cotton Mill. Might have a little interest as I can't really choose between the big guns in the race. God knows what is going to show improvement on the better ground!

Re: cheltenham chat thread 2013 Popped in Will Hill at dinner, got a yes/no coupon on the go, two lines as follows : 1) 7 or more Irish trained winners? 2) Supreme Novice's Hurdle be won by 3 lengths or more? 3) Will the biggest winning distance be 18 lengths or more? 4) Biggest winning SP 50/1 or greater? 5) Nicky Henderson train 5 or more winners? 6) 9 or more winning fav's (including co/joint)? Pays 33/1 for all correct, max bet £100. Or 1) My Tent or Yours win Supreme Novices? 2) Simonsig win Arkle? 3) Hurricane Fy win Champion Hurdle? 4) Quevega win ****? 5) Sprinter Sacre win Queen Mother? 6) Bobs Worth win Gold Cup? Pays minimum 66/1 for 6 yes max bet £100 Thoughts?

Popped in Will Hill at dinner, got a yes/no coupon on the go, two lines as follows : 1) 7 or more Irish trained winners? 2) Supreme Novice's Hurdle be won by 3 lengths or more? 3) Will the biggest winning distance be 18 lengths or more? 4) Biggest winning SP 50/1 or greater? 5) Nicky Henderson train 5 or more winners? 6) 9 or more winning fav's (including co/joint)? Pays 33/1 for all correct, max bet £100. Or 1) My Tent or Yours win Supreme Novices? 2) Simonsig win Arkle? 3) Hurricane Fy win Champion Hurdle? 4) Quevega win ****? 5) Sprinter Sacre win Queen Mother? 6) Bobs Worth win Gold Cup? Pays minimum 66/1 for 6 yes max bet £100 Thoughts?
Never really like anything on a coupon, my thinking is that if a bookie is willing to make something easier for the customer the odds are probably gonna be on their side! Have a check of the odds for each selection you like and see if you can get better odds on the acca on oddschecker! Willing to stick my neck out and bet you can, even if you pick the odds on chance for each selection because it's statistically more likely to happen bet you can probably get better odds as an acca somewhere else! If you can't 33-1 or bigger anywhere then there might be some value in the coupon! Checked the all yes on the second 6, 90-1 at Will Hill but you can get 108-1 if you go to Betfred!

Re: cheltenham chat thread 2013 Thanks Elchubb, I thought about this myself that the odds of an acca would probably be more than 66/1, but I suppose they have covered themselves by saying a minimum of 66/1. The first one looks okay as a fun bet for the punter who only watched racing at Cheltenham and the Grand National I suppose if you were just putting a couple of quid on.

After the announcement that Imperial Commander has been ruled out of the Gold Cup. NTD has said Astracad and The Cockney Mackem are both out of the festival with a bug! He has said The New One isn't affected but I'd be worried if I was on any of his A.P and won't be backing any of his until I see a couple run well! Anyone know the lay out of his yard and how easy/hard a job it would be to stop anything spreading?

After the announcement that Imperial Commander has been ruled out of the Gold Cup. NTD has said Astracad and The Cockney Mackem are both out of the festival with a bug! He has said The New One isn't affected but I'd be worried if I was on any of his A.P and won't be backing any of his until I see a couple run well! Anyone know the lay out of his yard and how easy/hard a job it would be to stop anything spreading?
Damn fancied The Cockney Mackem. Thanks for the info. Would not touch his horses now. Would be very hard to stop it spreading even isolating certain horse there's no guarantee they wont catch it i would have thought.

Re: cheltenham chat thread 2013 Really looking forward to my maiden trip to the festival next week but in need of a bit of advice. I'm travelling on the train from Birmingham and hear it gets insanely busy. Any fellow midlanders got any idea about how early I'll need to get to New Street by to make sure I get a train to Cheltenham in plenty of time. Any advice gratefully received. Apologies if this isn't the right place for this query. Thanks.

Re: cheltenham chat thread 2013 Trains from Birmingham New Street station run approximately every half hour and take about 35 minutes to reach Cheltenham. From Bristol Temple Meads, trains leave every hour or so and also take about 35 minutes. Ten minutes should be allowed to reach The Centaur from Cheltenham Spa station by taxi.

Re: cheltenham chat thread 2013 I can smell it now Jimmy, i'm planning my days now where i need to be and times, it takes some organising having a week off and getting all the study in. Got to get out early for the RP from the newsagents and then study study all day long for next day, i always study up day before and then hit betfair for some decent win odds, all my bets are win singles plus a couple of yankees in case i managed to hit a few winners. 5 days until the start now and weather going to get colder before it starts but just hoping the horses are well and come back safe. The ground should be decent with a bit of rain beforehand also, never want it too fast at that track really. Want to see plenty of close finishes and hard luck stories Tears and champagne no doubt

Really looking forward to my maiden trip to the festival next week but in need of a bit of advice. I'm travelling on the train from Birmingham and hear it gets insanely busy. Any fellow midlanders got any idea about how early I'll need to get to New Street by to make sure I get a train to Cheltenham in plenty of time. Any advice gratefully received. Apologies if this isn't the right place for this query. Thanks.
Cheltenham Spa to the course is an absolute nightmare, in fact unless you get to the course ridiculously early, you would be quicker walking it and it is not a short walk, the bother getting taxi's is a total pain too. I would certainly consider coach travel, National Express have coaches running from their terminus in Brum, it's £20 return and worth every penny, you're dropped off and picked up on the coach park behind the Best Mate enclosure. It is late in the day so I'm unsure of the availability but it's definitely an option to consider. I've used it more than once and it's cracking value for money.

Really looking forward to my maiden trip to the festival next week but in need of a bit of advice. I'm travelling on the train from Birmingham and hear it gets insanely busy. Any fellow midlanders got any idea about how early I'll need to get to New Street by to make sure I get a train to Cheltenham in plenty of time. Any advice gratefully received. Apologies if this isn't the right place for this query. Thanks.
Me and my mate stayed in a travelodge or the like near birmingham international station and got the 8am train into cheltenham. We got into cheltenham spa about quarter to 9 and there was queues of coaches/buses all over the place trying to get people to the track. Throw in the rush hour traffic and you've got a recipe for losing your temper right about the time you dont want to. l dont really have a solution for you, other than to try and think outside the box for getting there. Perhaps consider getting off a stop early and getting a bus/taxi from there. Edit. Of course, the issue you have then is the same me and my mate had when we went..............If you're not careful you're 2 parts pissed by the time the tapes go up. l thought there was a massive scrap taking place at the start of the Supreme :p