** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March

Aidymac

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn]FC Bayern München v Arsenal (19:45 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.45[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.75[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]8.5[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]101.78 % [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March Probably the best 4/9 shot you will see this side of Christmas. As shown in the prem against spurs, Arsenal are woeful at the back. It will be party time for Bayern here, 40% plus profit, absolutely nailed on, get on, sit back and wait for your balance to update. Bayern are pure quality, in the top 5 in europe....Arsenal are barely in the top 5 in England on current form. 10/10 Bayern Munich.

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March

Probably the best 4/9 shot you will see this side of Christmas. As shown in the prem against spurs, Arsenal are woeful at the back. It will be party time for Bayern here, 40% plus profit, absolutely nailed on, get on, sit back and wait for your balance to update. Bayern are pure quality, in the top 5 in europe....Arsenal are barely in the top 5 in England on current form. 10/10 Bayern Munich.
I would have to agree. Don't think Bayern will take any chances, can see a comfortable win personally. Maybe even -1

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March Some interesting team news is emerging for this one, Bayern will be without Ribery who is out until the beginning of next season, Robben will replace him if fit but if he isn't fit to play (which is possible, but think he will probably make it) then Shaqiri will come in. Schwein is suspended and will be replaced by Gustavo in the middle. Boateng also out. Jack Wilshire is in Dubai! Injured and out of the game, Sagna is most likely to be missing. Monreal isn't eligable. Podolski remains a doubt and Szczesny is likely to be dropped according to reports with Fabianski coming in, Gibbs returns to the squad after his absence and should replace Vermaelen. I wouldn't like to try and predict the Arsenal line-up, they face an impossible situation to be honest, they attack Bayern and they will get murdered on the break, defend and they go out regardless. The defence will be patched up again, you saw the state of it in the game against Spurs and the first game against Bayern. Bayern are home and hosed in the Bundesliga, 20 points ahead and needing a few more wins for the title which they will get with ease. Arsenal have been a shambles this season and I don't really have any confidence everything will suddenly come together against the most consistent side in Europe. Bayern's motivation might be questioned by some with a 3-1 lead from the first leg, but they still continue to steamroll teams in the league and were able to rest Dante and Martinez at the weekend, probably the only reasons they conceded two goals. Bayern will more than likely score at least 2 goals, I can't see Arsenal coming near that. Bayern -1.0,-1.5AH - 1.943 - pinnacle - 5 Points

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March What about over 2.5? Arsenal must score 3 and Bayern are free to attack at home. Wenger let on he had an "ambitious" game plan in the works for this match which implies an all out blitzfrieg to try and stun the Germans early in the match. It's the only way really....what do you guys think of overs then?

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March 4pts Over 3.5 goals 29/20 BetVictor Even though Bayern are in such a strong position in the tie I see this second leg being just like the first – open and attacking. Bayern aren’t the sort of side to sit back and defend, they will look to increase their advantage while Arsenal will need to commit men forward from early on in the match if they are to get back into the tie and they may as well go out with a tonking having a go then meekly surrendering as this is their last chance of silverware this season. I expect goals here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/bayern-munich-vs-arsenal-betting-arsenal-s-position-in-the-tie-should-ensure-we-see-goals-in-munich

What about over 2.5? Arsenal must score 3 and Bayern are free to attack at home. Wenger let on he had an "ambitious" game plan in the works for this match which implies an all out blitzfrieg to try and stun the Germans early in the match. It's the only way really....what do you guys think of overs then?
At 1.5-1.6 I don't think it’s a great price personally when you compare it to the prices on Bayern, I benefited from Arsenal's goal in the first leg but to be honest it was a bit of a fluke and Bayern were largely very comfortable defensively, Arsenal's performances away against the better sides this season haven't really yielded much in the way of points in Prem or CL, a very dicey 2-1 win away to a struggling Montpellier in the group stages was their sole win, although they did take a point from Schalke, who were performing much better then. Can't read too much into the group games though as the circumstances in those games were different and now Arsenal know they have to score 3 goals to have a chance of going through, so there is certainly an argument for overs. From watching Bayern a bit this season they are deadly on the counter, not having Ribery available is a blow from this point of view but Robben is still a decent player then you have Muller, Kroos, Alaba and Lahm, who can all break at pace. Arsenal can't really go there to defend, but it might turn into a rout if there go there to go toe to toe with such a strong side. Bayern are used to teams trying to play against them, I haven't watched too many games in the Bundesliga where teams have camped in their own half for 90mins, and with Arsenal's goals requirement we should see another open game. Think Arsenal will be overpowered personally, they don't have the players required to carry out the tactical job required and they are liable to concede plenty of goals, but there is certainly the possibility they will score.

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March Think the worst thing here for arsenal is they are missing Sagna and Abou Diaby. Experienced defensive minded players capable of maintaining a tactical game plan. Now the worst thing and highly unlikely is that Arsenal start careful as they don't have the time considering 3 goals are required. Then go out with a whimper. They will be heavily criticised for that. Arsenal need to play to their strength which is attacking and this will help mask their defensive weakness. Yes they will probably concede a few in the process, but at least if they get slaughtered but play with swagger and score a couple of goals themselves they can go out with their heads high which is the best they can hope for here. That is why Overs imo is a high percentage play here.

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March Overs is not an optimal choice here, because Bayern has the best defense in Europe and I am not at all sure Arsenal will get a goal (I actually consider it more likely they fail to do so). Even Dortmund, which have much better attack than Arsenal, managed to score just one goal out of two games at Allianz Arena this season, and created 2 or 3 chances for 180 minutes of football. Podolski is doubtful and Arsenal does not have a clinical scorer. Guys like Walcott need like 3-4 clear-cut chances before they get a single goal and he surely won't get these many chances against Bayern. In my view Bayern -1.5 handicap is more secure than overs and it is better priced. The only worrying thing here is the absence of Ribery, as Bayern would lose a lot of pace on the wings, but they still have too much firepower upfront.

Overs is not an optimal choice here, because Bayern has the best defense in Europe and I am not at all sure Arsenal will get a goal (I actually consider it more likely they fail to do so). Even Dortmund, which have much better attack than Arsenal, managed to score just one goal out of two games at Allianz Arena this season, and created 2 or 3 chances for 180 minutes of football. Podolski is doubtful and Arsenal does not have a clinical scorer. Guys like Walcott need like 3-4 clear-cut chances before they get a single goal and he surely won't get these many chances against Bayern. In my view Bayern -1.5 handicap is more secure than overs and it is better priced. The only worrying thing here is the absence of Ribery, as Bayern would lose a lot of pace on the wings, but they still have too much firepower upfront.
But don't you think the context of this particular game makes it an exception. No other team has come here this season with the objective being to cancel out 3 away goals. Even if Arsenal don't manage a goal, Bayern are ruthless and will want to flex their muscle with the other teams watching them and may score 4 ?? Who knows If after 60 mins say Bayern are leading and Arsenal have no hope, the match will descend into an end-to-free for all with absolutely nothing to lose (for example defenders not committing to tracking back and counter attacks happening more frequently and with more space available.) When I play through all the possible scenarios in my mind none of them lead to cautious tactical play from either side. This will play out like two boxers exchanging knockout blows with no guarding or jabbing. Otherwise the clock will eat away precious time for arsenal. And they can't defend so goals (plenty of them) are the only hope for them. An early goal from either side may ignite the match as seen in the Barca game. Goodluck with -1.5 I see it winning :ok

' date=' Bayern will be without Ribery who is out until the beginning of next season, [/quote'] He's out for the rest of the season? I haven't seen that anywhere; are you sure?

But don't you think the context of this particular game makes it an exception. No other team has come here this season with the objective being to cancel out 3 away goals. Even if Arsenal don't manage a goal, Bayern are ruthless and will want to flex their muscle with the other teams watching them and may score 4 ?? Who knows If after 60 mins say Bayern are leading and Arsenal have no hope, the match will descend into an end-to-free for all with absolutely nothing to lose (for example defenders not committing to tracking back and counter attacks happening more frequently and with more space available.)
I'm not so sure it will happen that way myself as this Arsenal side do lack belief, and that winning mentality + they have no real leadership, that one player that could galvanise them. So I think we could end up seeing both sides running through the motions a bit, as I'm unsure how much confidence or belief Arsenal will have that they can score three and only concede one. Just to take it to extra time. An end to end free for all would be more likely IMO if the aggregate scoreline was a lot closer.

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March Ribery won't be out for too long, maybe just for this match. Schweinsteiger and Boateng are suspended but the latter one is not important. Arsenal are without Wilshere, Sagna, Monreal and keeper Szeczsny, who gets a rest. So Fabianski will make his first appearance this season and we all know he is no way good enough to play on this stage. Furthermore Wenger will probably leave Cazorla, Walcott and Mertesacker on the bench to keep them fit for their highly important match away against Swansea at the weekend.

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March This game is only going one way. Bayern look nailed on here their home record is superb and especially with Wilshere out for Arsenal, and indeed with changes aplenty planned on their side it will result in an unsettled, inexperienced side going out to have a go at bagging 3 away goals against against this very efficient Bayern group. It wont happen. Arsenal have to have a go though, and knowing their style of play they will but if I were an Arsenal fan/manager I would want my experienced heads, people like Podolski, Cazorla, Wilshere all out there and 2 of them are definitely out so I just cannot see how they will break down this Bayern rearguard. I tend to lean towards either handicaps or HT/FT and again the slightly better odds are 2.18 (Betfair) for Bayern HT/FT and thats where im going. Once again I think you get your monies worth here as I am sure it will not be a 0-0 half time scoreline and in all likeliness, it will be Bayern who will break the deadlock rather than Arsenal. Arsenal need to push and the game will be open anyway but I just cant see them scoring and if Bayern get ahead it could very easily be 2 or 3. Similar to the Barca game really, bit of a gulf in 'class' here. PICK: Bayern HT/FT at around 6/5 (Betfair)

He's out for the rest of the season? I haven't seen that anywhere; are you sure?
Yep, apologies got that wrong. I read it somewhere on the net, obviously not a reliable source or the extent of the injury wasn't clear at that time. Either way its not that serious.. Just some confirmation on earlier points I made Podolski (ankle) has been left out, while Wojciech Szczesny is rested. Lukasz Fabianski, Abou Diaby, Andrey Arshavin and Kieran Gibbs come into the 18 man squad. While its pretty easy to predict the Bayern line-up it will be very interesting to see what team Wenger goes with considering the important game at the weekend and this tie almost certainly lost. There are rumours the central midfield will be Coquelin, Ramsey and Rosicky, I don't think Diaby will start after being out but for a central midfield in a CL game, that looks incredibly weak. Also rumours that Carzola and Walcott will be on the bench..As I said though only rumours, nothing will be confirmed until tonight.

Not saying they are totally wide of the mark but I wouldn't believe too much of what is printed in the Daily Mail' date=' its a glorified version of The Sun..[/quote'] So they're both dodgy? Verified this with 3 other articles saying roughly the same thing in google news

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March I have had a look around the more 'reliable' sporting papers like the Guardian and they are carrying the story too so there is weight to it, however it is all still rumour so I wouldn't go piling into handicaps until we know for sure..if they are resting players like it is being rumoured then they could be on the end of a real beating, expect the odds to go down as we get nearer ko.

Not saying they are totally wide of the mark but I wouldn't believe too much of what is printed in the Daily Mail' date=' its a glorified version of The Sun..[/quote'] Yup you always need a translator present when looking at the stories printed in the press. The Daily Mail are the "anti" sun... They use emotive words like slammed and horrified, or disgusted, which are always always not a true reflection. What they've done in reality is pick up on a tweet by Gary Linneker, linked it to the subsequent responses from mindless twelve year old fans. Then looked at the fact Arsenal have rested players and the fact they've not been doing well lately and generated a story using their own opinions, emotive language, here say, and captions of short quotes taken out of context. Really is a rubbish paper.

What they've done in reality is pick up on a tweet by Gary Linneker' date=' linked it to the subsequent responses from mindless twelve year old fans.[/quote'] I don't think this statement is fair at all, evidence for my reasoning has been provided:

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March Bayern: Neuer, Dante, Van Buyten, Lahm, Javi Martínez, Robben, Müller, Alaba, Luiz Gustavo, Kroos, Mandžukić. SUBS: Starke, Rafinha, Contento, Shaqiri, Tymoshchuk, Pizarro, Gomez. Arsenal: Fabiański, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Rosický, Arteta, Walcott, Ramsey, Santi Cazorla, Giroud SUBS: Mannone, Vermaelen, Diaby, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coquelin, Arshavin, Gervinho.

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March Arsenal start with first choice XI available to them. Fabiański, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Rosický, Arteta, Walcott, Ramsey, Santi Cazorla, Giroud SUBS: Mannone, Vermaelen, Diaby, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coquelin, Arshavin, Gervinho.

Re: FC Bayern München v Arsenal > Wed 13th March Bayern HT/FT 23/10 Bayern -1 Evens Bayern have a lot more about them than arsenal who will need to commit men forward to even have a chance, and bayerns defence is also good, so i expect them to smash arsenal on the counter. No Ribiery is a negative, but bayern still have a lot of quality.