** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February

• 2 weeks later...

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February The impact Balotelli has had at Milan cannot be understated. He has earned them the 7 points they have gained in their last 3 games. They now have to go back to playing without him which will only add to their fear of playing Barca. When you see such a high price next to 'Milan' playing at home it is easy to say they are value, but it is really hard to see anything for them in this match. They are certainly weaker than when they last played Barca.

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February

The impact Balotelli has had at Milan cannot be understated. He has earned them the 7 points they have gained in their last 3 games. They now have to go back to playing without him which will only add to their fear of playing Barca. When you see such a high price next to 'Milan' playing at home it is easy to say they are value' date=' but it is really hard to see anything for them in this match. They are certainly weaker than when they last played Barca.[/quote'] Agree. Balo is huge for them. Will Barca go for the throat here or play patient? Seeing the lead they have in Spain and the fact that Milan's attack isn't half as dangerous as theirs I don't see why not. I believe if Barca really want to go there and play in fifth gear from the start then all the faults of Milan will be exposed and they'll be brushed aside. Goals is another option.

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February I'm surely going to bet heavily on a Barca victory. I know the spanish side is playing away...but come one honestly...Milan without Balotelli is A LOT WEAKER. Then, because I'm Italian, I watched the Milan game against Parma. A own goal from a Parma defender and a penalty kick of Balotelli. Milan did not do anything in the entire game. They actually risked of getting a goal in the first half in more than one occasion. Besides Xavi and Villa will take part in the game. I think a Barca victory priced at 1.55 is far more generous than what I expected. If we were to look at the last game these two sides have faced each other, Milan is without Ibra, Thiago Silva, Nesta, Seedorf and Van Bommel. They have Montolivo ( mediocre player), Costant which is a centerfield but is playing as defender. The defese is totally a sloppy mess... Mexes is out of shape and probably won't play due to injury. Yepes, Zapata and Bonera are just a treat for Barca. Messi is going to ravage the Milan side together with Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and fabregas. Puyol and Piqu in the back with Arbeloa and Macherano.. Pedro-Villa or Pedro Sanchez (the speed of the last guy who knows everything there is to know about Italian teams is definetly going to give Milan problems)...

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February I'm surely going to bet heavily on a Barca victory. I know the spanish side is playing away...but come one honestly...Milan without Balotelli is A LOT WEAKER. Then, because I'm Italian, I watched the Milan game against Parma. A own goal from a Parma defender and a penalty kick of Balotelli. Milan did not do anything in the entire game. They actually risked of getting a goal in the first half in more than one occasion. Besides Xavi and Villa will take part in the game. I think a Barca victory priced at 1.55 is far more generous than what I expected. If we were to look at the last game these two sides have faced each other, Milan is without Ibra, Thiago Silva, Nesta, Seedorf and Van Bommel. They have Montolivo ( mediocre player), Costant which is a centerfield but is playing as defender. The defense is totally a sloppy mess... Mexes is out of shape and probably won't play due to injury. Yepes, Zapata and Bonera are just a treat for Barca. Messi is going to ravage the Milan side together with Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and fabregas. Puyol and Pique in the back with Jordi Alba and Macherano.. Pedro-Villa or Pedro Sanchez (the speed of the last guy who knows everything there is to know about Italian teams is definetly going to give Milan problems)...

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February Yeah good point above when you think they've lost Thiago Silva, Ibra, Van Bommel, Seedorf then it puts things into perspective. This is a building year and now they face the best. Watched them vs Parma and they mostly served up s.hit all game and were lucky to win 2-1.

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February 4pts Barcelona (-1AH) to beat AC Milan 1.88 Ladbrokes These two drew 0-0 at the San Siro in their quarter final tie last season but I fancy Barcelona will come through this time. This is a much younger AC Milan side and as yet they haven’t really performed in Europe this season. Barcelona are ticking along nicely and I think they’ll take a lead back to the Nou Camp with them and if they score early it could be a comfortable lead too. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/ac-milan-vs-barcelona-betting-barcelona-can-take-significant-first-leg-lead-back-to-the-nou-camp

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February Lionel Messi To Score and Barcelona To Win @ EVS (William Hill- Headline Offer) Just to see this sort of bet touch evens in my eyes is bold by the bookies, Milan are not the team they used to be and will miss Mario. El Shaarawy is also being closely monitored. Probable line ups: Abbiati/ Abate, Zapata, Mexes, De Sciglio/ Montolivo, Ambrosini, Nocerino/ Boateng, Pazzini, El Shaarawy Valdes/Alves, Pique, Puyol, Alba/ Xavi, Busquets, Fabregas/ Pedro, Messi, Iniesta Looking at the Milan midfield & Defense there is nothing there, which i cannot see Messi getting a few good chance against.

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February Barcelona have a good record in Milan. Of their last five CL games away to Milan, Barca have won two and drawn two. However, both wins were by a single goal. I think Barca are too short here - they can be beaten. Milan +1.5 1.72 Pinnacle

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February Flamini, Robinho and Nocerino are out of the group. Flamini was on form and will miss for sure. Abbiati, Amelia, Gabriel, Abate, De Sciglio, Mexes, Yepes, Zapata, Constant Ambrosini, Boateng, Cristante (N.36), Montolivo, Muntari, Traorè Bojan, El Shaarawy, Niang, Pazzini

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February Watched the report on marca and Xavi seemed to train normally ahead of the game..San Siro pitch looked a bit dodgy though! Have to agree with others, Barca -1AH looks the play, don't think that 1.88 will be around too long tomorrow.

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February Yesterday my thoughts on the Arsenal - Bayern game were correct. I didn't write it down because I was away till late in the evening. But I had high stakes on bayern due the fact they are in the shape of their lives and Arsenal's lack of quality in big games. But the class difference between these 2 teams is even bigger tonight in my opinion. Milan is nowhere near the Milan of years ago. They loose their best players almost every year now and the only plus is ballotelli for them but he can't play tonight. Boateng is not the same, Pato left and I don't see pazzini and shaarawy [great talent] outclass the barca defense although they concede sometimes. But this is the champions league. The only real challenge for Barcelona at the moment to become europes best. They already won the league and at this stage they are highly motivated and will crush Milan tonight. I think we will see an early goal and who knows where it ends for Milan after 90 minutes. They are outclassed on every position and a few years ago Milan had a good mixture of experienced players like seedorf, pirlo, zlatan among some young talents like abate, thiago silva, boateng, pato but now... What is their strength? I really liked AC Milan my whole life but there isn't much left. Messi and co want to show that they are without a doubt the best team in the world and this is the perfect stage for it. Maybe Milan can score here but I think Barca will score at least 2 or 3. My call 1-3 1-4! have a good game guys.

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February but people are forgetting that this is the champions league. If celtic can beat barca so can a weak milan team. We have to ask ourselves if 1.53 really is value in an away knockout game (realistically milan is out if they dont at least draw). Barca do concede against even weaker teams as well. But I do admit, does seem like a walk in the park for barca as always.

but people are forgetting that this is the champions league. If celtic can beat barca so can a weak milan team. We have to ask ourselves if 1.53 really is value in an away knockout game (realistically milan is out if they dont at least draw). Barca do concede against even weaker teams as well. But I do admit, does seem like a walk in the park for barca as always.
I seriously don't see any connection between tonight's game and Celtic-Barca. Barca also lost to Sociedad and drew at home against Malaga with a man more on the pitch, but does it really matter and have any significance to tonight's game?! Nevertheless, I am hesitant about the value part of your comment. Indeed, 1.5 away from home is very short.

What about under 2' date='5? Odds are 2,20...?![/quote'] Most of the games in the 1/8 finals so far have been over 2.5, a striking percentage of Barca games are over 2.5 - I think more than 95% of their games this season. Of course, this does not mean that over 2.5 is guaranteed, but does 2.20 look like such a big odd to you, given these facts?! If it was above 3.0, I would have given it a thought, but it is actually much closer to evens, and this is very bad value in my opinion.

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February Barca's recent record in the knockout phase of the CL, where they play away from home first: 2008-09 Last 16: Lyon 1-1 Barca 2009-10 Last 16: Stuttgart 1-1 Barca Q-Final: Arsenal 2-2 Barca S-Final: Inter 3-1 Barca 2010-11 Last 16: Arsenal 2-1 Barca S-Final: Real Madrid 0-2 Barca 2011-12 Last 16: B Leverkusen 1-3 Barca Q-Final: AC Milan 0-0 Barca S-Final: Chelsea 1-0 Barca A record of 2 wins, 4 draws and 3 defeats in 9 away 1st leg matches. Just some food for thought. With Barca making plenty of defensive errors of late (conceded in last 8 games I believe), a chance of a 1-1 or 2-2 would put me off backing Barca personally. Not sure they will go for the kill if drawing late on, and @1.53 I would want my team to be trying to win for the full 90 mins + inj time.

I seriously don't see any connection between tonight's game and Celtic-Barca. Barca also lost to Sociedad and drew at home against Malaga with a man more on the pitch, but does it really matter and have any significance to tonight's game?! Nevertheless, I am hesitant about the value part of your comment. Indeed, 1.5 away from home is very short.
games like celtic-barca are relevant since current AC Milan seems more like celtic than AC Milan of the past and may adopt a very similar approach since barca is going to have 80% of the possession anyway so AC Milan has got to do something like what celtic did. Barca may have lost league games but think past CL games results are more relevant. The point i was trying to make was 1.5 is not really a good bet and saw someone above make a huge wager on barca win.

Barca's recent record in the knockout phase of the CL, where they play away from home first: 2008-09 Last 16: Lyon 1-1 Barca 2009-10 Last 16: Stuttgart 1-1 Barca Q-Final: Arsenal 2-2 Barca S-Final: Inter 3-1 Barca 2010-11 Last 16: Arsenal 2-1 Barca S-Final: Real Madrid 0-2 Barca 2011-12 Last 16: B Leverkusen 1-3 Barca Q-Final: AC Milan 0-0 Barca S-Final: Chelsea 1-0 Barca A record of 2 wins, 4 draws and 3 defeats in 9 away 1st leg matches. Just some food for thought. With Barca making plenty of defensive errors of late (conceded in last 8 games I believe), a chance of a 1-1 or 2-2 would put me off backing Barca personally. Not sure they will go for the kill if drawing late on, and @1.53 I would want my team to be trying to win for the full 90 mins + inj time.
Its a fair point and one worth making. I have taken Barca -1AH but not for massive stakes. Barca are certainly more reliable away in the CL than they have been in seasons past for example if you go from the start of 2009 to the end of 2010 they played 12 games and won only 2 away but if you go from the start of 2011 to now they have won 8 of 12. There are obviously more factors to this game than just past results though, worth noting Milan didn't win any of their 3 group games against pretty limited opposition in comparison (Zenit, Anderlecht and Malaga), with arguably a stronger side than they are able to field tonight.

Its a fair point and one worth making. I have taken Barca -1AH but not for massive stakes. Barca are certainly more reliable away in the CL than they have been in seasons past for example if you go from the start of 2009 to the end of 2010 they played 12 games and won only 2 away but if you go from the start of 2011 to now they have won 8 of 12. There are obviously more factors to this game than just past results though' date=' worth noting Milan didn't win any of their 3 group games against pretty limited opposition in comparison (Zenit, Anderlecht and Malaga), with arguably a stronger side than they are able to field tonight.[/quote'] Absolutely HastGill1, I would generally attach little relevance to historic results. But I think it could be applicable in this case as the core of the team has been together, and it is more around the fact that the team knows they don't need to win away, and has confidence in being able to finish the job at home. As I say, it puts enough doubt in my mind to swerve this one. GL

Re: AC Milan V Barcelona > Wednesday 20th February Milan +2 Corners @ evens Paddypower Really like this bet, Barcelona will always have more possession than the opposition but very rarely play for corners, they will always keep the ball near the centre rather than playing by the endline. i don't see Barcelona going all out tonight and this may give Milan a bit more possession. It's a game that Milan have to get something out of and they will not sit back. Milan to win most corners is priced @ 13/5 but I'll take the +2 handicap @ a more than fair evens.

Milan +2 Corners @ evens Paddypower Really like this bet, Barcelona will always have more possession than the opposition but very rarely play for corners, they will always keep the ball near the centre rather than playing by the endline. i don't see Barcelona going all out tonight and this may give Milan a bit more possession. It's a game that Milan have to get something out of and they will not sit back. Milan to win most corners is priced @ 13/5 but I'll take the +2 handicap @ a more than fair evens.
The trouble is Barcelona's possession game tends to mean they regularly out-score teams in corners.

The trouble is Barcelona's possession game tends to mean they regularly out-score teams in corners.
Very true and in La Liga, I only ever take them on with Real Madrid with this bet. However playing in Italy in the first leg, I'm happy to be on Milan +2