** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February Very hard to envisage anything but a Bayern win tonight. I have been watching Bayern all season and they are real contenders for the champions league, they are playing superb stuff, and are a traditional champions league club. Last 23 games, 19 wins, 4 draws, 16 clean sheets, 66 goals, average 3 goals a game. I think Arsenal will struggle to score tonight, Bayern to win to nil could be a good option, but I do fancy Bayern at around even money to win the game. Arsenal lack in defence, lack in midfield, Walcott will be well marshalled, just don't see where an Arsenal goal is coming from against probably the best defence in Europe right now?????

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February Enhanced double on StanJames 3/1 Porto and Bayern. Porto home record this season; Played 10 Won 9 Drawn 1 Scored 27 Conceded 2 Bayern away record; Played 11 Won 10 Drawn 1 Scored 27 Conceded 1

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February

Very hard to envisage anything but a Bayern win tonight. I have been watching Bayern all season and they are real contenders for the champions league, they are playing superb stuff, and are a traditional champions league club. Last 23 games, 19 wins, 4 draws, 16 clean sheets, 66 goals, average 3 goals a game. I think Arsenal will struggle to score tonight, Bayern to win to nil could be a good option, but I do fancy Bayern at around even money to win the game. Arsenal lack in defence, lack in midfield, Walcott will be well marshalled, just don't see where an Arsenal goal is coming from against probably the best defence in Europe right now?????
Bayerns away results in CL 1:3 loss against Bate 1:0 win Lille 1:1 Valencia (when they were already qualified for knockout stage) nothing spectacular. sure Arsenal have seen better times but it's not like they are another Celtic who don't even know how they got to the knockout stage. european nights usually give a team some extra boost and Bayern hardly encounter a team like Arsenal in german bundesliga. the pace of the games there usually is much lower.

Bayerns away results in CL 1:3 loss against Bate 1:0 win Lille 1:1 Valencia (when they were already qualified for knockout stage) nothing spectacular. sure Arsenal have seen better times but it's not like they are another Celtic who don't even know how they got to the knockout stage. european nights usually give a team some extra boost and Bayern hardly encounter a team like Arsenal in german bundesliga. the pace of the games there usually is much lower.
The pace of German football is not slow, I watch it week in week out, it is as frenetic as the premier league. Also, Bayern's form in the group stages is pointless, this is now knock-out, the mind set will be completely different. Arsenal just lost at home to Blackburn in the FA Cup, in which was a must win game for them, and they had no excuses. Borussia Dortmund play like Arsenal, only are much better. The German league is a lot stronger than you think.

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February Hello all, when it comes to Arsenal playing home game in CL 1/8, They have yet to lose a game in front of the home fans. Ever since CL changed format and introduced 1/8 finals match, Arsenal participated in every season and has never lost a home game. Bayern on the other hand lost 6 away matches only to have won against Inter and Sporting in the same period and stage of the competition. Given the history, which usualy gives a certain insight in such match-ups I am more than willing to: LAY BAYERN @ 1,95 at bet365 - 6/10 ARSENAL DNB @ 3,00 at bet365 -7/10

The pace of German football is not slow, I watch it week in week out, it is as frenetic as the premier league. Also, Bayern's form in the group stages is pointless, this is now knock-out, the mind set will be completely different. Arsenal just lost at home to Blackburn in the FA Cup, in which was a must win game for them, and they had no excuses. Borussia Dortmund play like Arsenal, only are much better. The German league is a lot stronger than you think.
The Bundesliga is the best league in Europe for me, the crowds are superb in comparison to the graveyards in the EPL and the games usually appear much more even with plenty of attacking, don't think there is much difference to the EPL in terms of game pace. The Bundesliga will hopefully not be destroyed by money like the EPL has been. The group phases have to have some kind of relevance in terms of these games though, they were the only games Bayern have played in Europe against different sides with different styles and the fact is they played poorly with poor results in all three, with a full strength side (or 10 of 11 players) on all occasions. I won't go too far back in history but as listed they haven't been strong away in Europe for years, Dante, Mandzukic and Martinez have strengthened them, we wait to see how much. Wenger choose to rest most of the attacking side of the team on Sat, only Arteta and possibly Diaby will play tonight from the midfield and attack that started so that result is of no relevance to this one, he made that choice and it was a poor one in hindsight but the motivation, players, crowd etc. all will be totally different tonight. I'm not saying Bayern won't win but I don't think it will be easy and being the underdog for a change might well suit Arsenal.

The Bundesliga is the best league in Europe for me, the crowds are superb in comparison to the graveyards in the EPL and the games usually appear much more even with plenty of attacking, don't think there is much difference to the EPL in terms of game pace. The Bundesliga will hopefully not be destroyed by money like the EPL has been. The group phases have to have some kind of relevance in terms of these games though, they were the only games Bayern have played in Europe against different sides with different styles and the fact is they played poorly with poor results in all three, with a full strength side (or 10 of 11 players) on all occasions. I won't go too far back in history but as listed they haven't been strong away in Europe for years, Dante, Mandzukic and Martinez have strengthened them, we wait to see how much. Wenger choose to rest most of the attacking side of the team on Sat, only Arteta and possibly Diaby will play tonight from the midfield and attack that started so that result is of no relevance to this one, he made that choice and it was a poor one in hindsight but the motivation, players, crowd etc. all will be totally different tonight. I'm not saying Bayern won't win but I don't think it will be easy and being the underdog for a change might well suit Arsenal.
ike someone quoted above ARSENAL need to get the ball first in order 2 score lmao...... (The Champions League only gets going for real once you reach the knockout stages! ) Hastgill i feel arsenal may score but Bayern will have most of the possession and will have a far greater chance of scoring against a shabby arsenal defense then the other way round, Enjoy the match:)

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February like someone quoted above ARSENAL need to get the ball first in order 2 score lmao...... (The Champions League only gets going for real once you reach the knockout stages! ) Hastgill i feel arsenal may score but Bayern will have most of the possession and will have a far greater chance of scoring against a shabby arsenal defense then the other way round, Enjoy the match:)

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February like someone quoted above ARSENAL need to get the ball first in order 2 score lmao...... (The Champions League only gets going for real once you reach the knockout stages! ) Hastgill i feel arsenal may score but Bayern will have most of the possession and will have a far greater chance of scoring against a shabby arsenal defense then the other way round, Enjoy the match

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February Bayern is clearly the better side and more important they are in great form. But we have to consider that the match is played in UK and the germans do not need a mandatory win here. A draw with goals is probably as good as a 1 goal win cause in Munchen Bayern should win easy so IMO there isn't any value in away win tonight. Should I bet, I do it on Arsenal +0.5 and both teams to score. I wish you good luck!

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February Arsenal +0.5/+1.0 1.740 BetVictor I think this is market is a bit wrong. There seems to be a lot of love for Bayern. Remember they play in the Bundesliga - I realise this may sound unpopular, but I reckon the PL in England is stronger. Arsenal are good at home in Europe and Wenger will have them motivated for this one. It's basically their season, so the team will be hungry. Yes Bayern are a top team - which is why there is a degree of cover in this bet, but I can see Arsenal holding Bayern and possibly nicking it.

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February A few thoughts about tonight. First, I don't think it is a good idea to directly apply domestic league form to European competitions. We have seen so many examples in this respect and got so many lessons - Arsenal's win over Barca at Emirates (yes, they had RVP, but it was still a huge upset, as probably this was the best form of Barca during Guardiola's age), Milan smashing Arsenal 4-0 (while Milan were playing poor in Serie A), Liverpool winning the CL amidst another poor Premier League season - just to name a few. Bayern are at the moment one of the two best teams in Europe, together with Barca, and I have absolutely no doubts they will go through. Yet, I am not at all so confident that they will win at Emirates. As mentioned, Arsenal are a major power at home in Europe and should never be underestimated. Plus, don't disregard the fact that, say, a goal-full draw will be a great result for Bayern and I honestly don't see them going "all-in" in the last half an hour if the game is 1:1, 2:2, etc. Despite Bayern's amazing defense, my pick here is BTTS. Yes, they have not conceded since December, but the teams they faced did not possess the attacking force and options of Arsenal, and also it is much easier to be confident in the back when you have 10+ points advantage and you have practically won the title already. In fact, curiously enough, one of my main arguments in favor of Arsenal's scoring against Bayern is Arsenal's own...defense. Yes, it is poor and disorganized, and Mertesacker is slow and clumsy. Major risk for my bet would be Arsenal parking the bus and playing very defensively. But I just don't see how Arsenal can keep a clean-sheet and I believe they will receive a goal sooner rather than later in the game. As far as they concede, Arsenal has no other choice but to utilize their attacking potential as strongly as possible. And I believe that as far as the game becomes very open, Arsenal could and will get a goal. I still prefer BTTS to overs because I think that in case the score is 1:1, the game will slow down as both teams will be more or less content with such result. BTTS @ 1.70

I never said it was slow. Just think the average EPL team plays at a higher pace than the average German team. I wasn't talking about Dortmund or Leverkusen, which are top class but there is without a doubt more quality in the EPL. In Germany it's Bayern, Dortmund and Leverkusen; in England United, City, 3 London teams, Everton, Liverpool.

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February I just agree with Hastgill for the true simple fact that the german bundesliga is way stronger than many may think and we've started to see that fact these days. The germans are true fans and we rarely see choreographies like in Bundesliga in any other country. We saw Borussia to dominate in both games vs the 'money machine' M.City and to make a long story short,Bayer will win easily against the weakest Arsenal team in years...

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February Sth else...Bayern still suffer from that unbeliavable loss in the home final against Chelsea and I guess Arsenal will be the victim to be demolished because all that anger will return to extra strength to beat another London-based club. :)

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February There is value on Arsenal for me at these odds. Arsenal have a very good record at home in the Champions League. Bayern have a very poor record away to English sides. Bayern have the class, but they don't need to win. I think Arsenal, without much pressure, might do better than expected. Arsenal +0.5 2.01 Pinnacle

BTTS 1.7 @ Betfair - I can't see Arsenal keeping a clean sheet here as their defence simply isn't strong enough IMO and Bayern have scored 57 goals in 22 league games this season. Unlike some others, I also think Bayern will find it difficult to keep Arsenal at bay. Arsenal have scored a lot of goals at home this season and I don't think Bayern will keep them out for 90 minutes tonight. Over 2.5 goals 1.84 @ Betfair - As I said in the previous reasoning i am confident both teams will get on the scoresheet and If that's the case then the only scoreline that will stop this bet winning is if it ends 1-1. However, I think Arsenal's fragility in defence and strength in attack will see this game go over 2.5 goals because Arsenal will give it real go tonight IMO to try and take a lead to Munich. Draw 3.8 @ Betfair - This looks like decent value to me as I think the fact that Arsenal have home advantage kind of evens up the teams and Arsenal are a very good side when playing at home in the Champions League and rarely lose on their own turf in this competition shown by the fact they beat Barcelona 2-1 here 2 years ago and beat AC Milan 3-0 last season. Whilst Bayern have been unstoppable in the Bundesliga, their results in the CL have not been quite as good. In the group stage their away record was W1 D1 L1 scoring 3 and conceding 4. They beat Lille 1-0, drew 1-1 with Valencia and lost 3-1 to Bate Borisov. Arsenals home record in the group was decent - W2 D0 L1 scoring 5 and conceding 3. They beat Olympiakos 3-1 and Montpellier 2-0 and lost 0-2 to Schalke. Arsenal normally raise their game for the big teams and I expect them to do the same here and Bayern are too short below evens in this game. Arsenal 2-2 Bayern Munich 16/1 @ Betfair - Small stakes on the 2-2 correct score here. I know Bayerns defence has been amazing in the Bundesliga this season but they have conceded 4 goals in 3 CL away games this season and Arsenal have scored a lot of goals at home this season. I expect this to be an open game as Arsenal know anything bar a win isn't good enough. Theo Walcott to score anytime 3.8 @ Betfair - Although the price has dropped from 4.2, I still think 3.8 is value for Walcott to score tonight. His pace should cause Bayern problems and he frequently scores against the big teams and I'll be backing him to do so again tonight. Sent from my iPhone using PL Forum app

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February arsenal will have to go for it. bayern will score and arsenal has to score to stand any chance of qualifying. Wenger implied he would take 0:0 and that is the only reason I am not sure about betting on this match. On one side u have attacking teams. On the other, both willing to take draws.

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February LINE-UPS- Arsenal v Bayern Munich (1945 GMT) Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla, Podolski, Walcott. Subs: Mannone, Diaby, Rosicky, Giroud, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coquelin, Jenkinson. Bayern Munich: Neuer, Lahm, Van Buyten, Dante, Alaba, Javi Martinez, Schweinsteiger, Muller, Kroos, Ribery, Mandzukic. Subs: Starke, Robben, Shaqiri, Rafinha, Gustavo, Gomez, Tymoschuk. Referee: Svein Oddvar Moen (Norway)

I never said it was slow. Just think the average EPL team plays at a higher pace than the average German team. I wasn't talking about Dortmund or Leverkusen' date=' which are top class but there is without a doubt more quality in the EPL. In Germany it's Bayern, Dortmund and Leverkusen; in England United, City, 3 London teams, Everton, Liverpool.[/quote'] Probably going off topic a bit here but I just think that's wrong. Over the last 5 - 10 years the style of Bundesliga has changed a fair bit, and while obviously there's no way you can compare the differences in pace, it's still in the top three of European leagues for me as well. And the top three may be Bayern, Dortmund and Leverkusen now, but they've still had five different winners in the last ten years so I don't think there's the same monopoly as there is over here. Nobody considers a league like Bundesliga at all it seems, because its not fashionable like La Liga or EPL.

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February hastgill i did tell you bayern 1.5 goals wud win quicker than both teams scoring. right now i cant see arsenal scoring either, but they might do still goodluck

You can't really compare domestic form with European form too much as they are different competitions, why do you think they 'concerntrate' more in the Bundesliga? They were in the same form in the league as they are now when they were playing the group games, and didn't rotate hardly any players..their away form in Europe has always been patchy, look at last year when they got to the final, they lost 2 of their 3 away games in the knockout stages, to Basel and Real Madrid (before eventually winning on penalties).. I think it is foolish to ignore the attacking qualities of a side like Arsenal who has consistently performed well in the CL at home, hopefully Arsenal play at a high tempo with the crowd behind them (don't laugh!) and the Bayern defence can be got at. The crowd is usually quiet but will create a good atmosphere in the top games, for a change there is little pressure on Arsenal, nobody really expects them to go through with the second leg away too. I'm not saying Arsenal will win but I think both teams will score.

I can see Arsenal really struggling to get to grips with the game and when imagining how it's to play out I can't get past how poor they've been in the 1st half of games. They do seem to lack experience and a true leader to get the team together. Their last 10 home ht results read won 1, drawn 7 and lost 2 with the losses coming against Liverpool and Man City who were the only strong opponents they faced. Furthermore in the group stages they drew all 3 home games versus far weaker opposition than Bayern who have been in superb form of late. The value may lie in the half time market and I like the look of the following bet. Bayern -0.25 1st half AH 2.13@SBO
As expected Arsenal are struggling in the 1st half but we should see a much improved 2nd half performance. Arsenal DNB 2nd half could be of interest depending on the price.

Re: Arsenal V Bayern Munich > Tuesday 19th February bayern to score 1.5 goals wud surely have won quiker than both teams 2 score:)

in the bundesliga they have conceded 1 away goal in 11 away matches, Which shows when they play properly and concentrated its hard for them to concede many goals. I woudlnt be suprised if arsenal scored though, i think the more likely result is bayern munich over 1.5 goals ,the only way bayern would concede is if they get complacent