** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

6 Nations

Re: 6 Nations

5pts France -4 Halftime Handicap @10-11 (Betfred)
:wall
1.5pts Draw/Scotland Halftime/Fulltime @ 20-1 (Betvictor) 1pt Draw/Italy Halftime/Fulltime @ 25-1 (Betvictor)
:wall Well that couldn't of gone much worse yesterday! Bit annoyed by not opposing the Italians away from home on the handicap like i usually do but don't think i was the only fooled into thinking that the previous weeks performance could of been a turning of the corner for the Italians, seems not and i'll go back to opposing away and backing at home on the handicaps for the rest of the tournament! Least said about the evening game the better, awful from a betting point of view and pretty awful too watch as a viewing spectacle, there will be a magical display from the French at some point in this tournament but when is anybody's guess! -7.5pts on the day leaves me -2.3pts so far!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 6 Nations Thought Scotland played great yesterday Stuart Hogg has shone for two weeks running now and will have surely caught the eye of the lions selectors. Wales v France was an awful match with both defences cancelling eachother out and that will surely be Michalak's last game for France now. Thought Dan Biggar had a decent game for Wales, he still made a couple of mistakes but overall some of his place kicking was excellent. I still think wales play far too lateral and Phillips never seems to give get the ball away from the base of the scrum quickly enough. I fancy Ireland to beat the English today. Ireland's front 5 will be a match for England and I think it will come down to which side concedes the least amount of penalties as both Sexton and Farrell will punish you hard. It's a tough game to call but I think England are far from the finished article yet and home advantage for the Irish is massive and at evens I'm backing them. Been busy this week so no time for thorough write ups but enjoy the match everyone.

Re: 6 Nations 3pts Ireland to beat England @ 11-10 (Bet365) Originally the bookies had this priced up at around 10-11 the pair, i thought that was right and wasn't going to get involved but now the Irish have drifted i think there is a small bit of value on them! England don't have a good record at Lansdowne Road and this young side has hasn't yet seemed to develop the consistency to put in big performance after big performance on a regular basis, something the Irish have had a problem with in the 6 Nations as well but they have the more experienced side today including Brian O'Driscoll who looked like a man on a mission for a summer captaincy last week! O'Driscoll has won his last 7 against England scoring 3 tries in the process and if he steps up again like he always seems to against England, Ireland are gonna be a tough test for Lancaster's young side! This could go either way but at odds against i think Ireland are value at home!

• 2 weeks later...

Re: 6 Nations England v France I think you'll see a different French side here against England, as I mentioned earlier I really rate Parra and Trinh Duc, Parra especially is a great controller of a game. Wesley Forfana also reverts back to his favoured position of centre and could form an ominous partnership with Basteraud and Vincent Clerc also returns to the side who is of course one of the World's best finishers. I don't think we'll see a repeat of the dire game we saw France play last time out against Wales. France have nothing to lose now and should come out all guns blazing. I believe with the positive changes France have made they could well win at Twickenham as they are still a side full of talent but I will play safe and opt for France on the handicap at +8 pts. Recommended Bet: France +8 to beat England at 10/11 with Bet365 Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/six-nations-england-v-france-betting-the-return-of-parra-and-trinh-duc-could-spell-trouble-for-england

Re: 6 Nations Italy v Wales Italy without Parisse is like strawberries without cream he really is that good as a player. Not only that but he is a real leader on the pitch and a great communicator who just never stops talking which is something that the Welsh side could do with as it is full of very quiet and unassuming characters. I think Italy will implode in the absence of Parisse and with quick ball the welsh backs could finally give their legs some air and rack up some much needed tries. George North showed in a brief moment of brilliance what the Welsh players are capable of against France and I take the Welsh to overcome a - 4 handicap in the second half as the Italians notoriously keep games pretty tight at home in the opening 40 mins. Recommended Bet: Wales -4 to beat Italy at 10/11 on the second half handicap with BetFred Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/six-nations-italy-v-wales-betting-talismanic-captain-sergio-parisse-a-massive-loss-for-italy

Re: 6 Nations 4pts Italy +3.5 H/T Handicap @ EVS (Bet365) 4pts under 2.5 tries @ 11-10 (Bet365) As SteveO has already said no Parisse for the Italians is a massive blow but i'm still hoping they can stay competitive in the first half as they tend to do at home, couple that with the fact Wales have tendency to be slow starters and the first half handicap looks the way to go! The forecast is for rain all day today in Rome so the conditions don't exactly lend themselves to a high scoring game and it's highly likely we'll see a lot of handling errors! The spread on the unders has come down since i looked last night so i'm gonna take a play on there being under 3 tries instead due to the weather conditions. I think the weather conditions will also help any +handicap today and although Wales often outscore teams in the second half, the weather put me off any -handicap today!

Re: 6 Nations 4pts France +8 @ EVS (Bet365) Agree with SteveO here and not much else to add! Again weather conditions could be poor here helping out a +handicap. On this years Six Nations form you'd have to expect an English win as France have been poor but history says that's when a french team performs, when it's least expected. If i could of got thing anything over 3-1 on a french win i'd of probably had a small stab at that but i can't so i'm just gonna stick with the handicap!

Re: 6 Nations As mentioned above Italy are really going to miss Parisse today. If Wales can keep the high tempo game up that they are used to, they will win comfortably. I can't see Italy coping with the powerful Welsh runners. I think Wales are just starting to hit a bit of form. They are a confidence team and that win over France will really have helped them. Italy have started defending very close to the gain line this year, I don't think it suits their type of game. Wales can and should expose this today. If Wales use Roberts and Davis as direct runners, I can see major gaps out wide. I think North and Cuthbert can both get tries today. Since Wales can pass better right to left, North looks the value bet at 23/10 with PP. I can see Wales hitting the ground running so the first scoring play Wales try at 11/2 looks value as well. 3pts Wales -8 evs PP 1pt North anytime 23/10 first scoring play Wales try 11/2 sportingbet

Re: 6 Nations Stevo is echoing what I was going to say about the English and French match. A few bits to add to that. Domingo starting well steady the scrum so I cant see England get any real advantage there. Nyanga is a great addition as well, he is very good at spoiling ball. France were very bad in the last 2 games, I would put a lot of it down to Machenaud and Michalak. There game management was atrocious and their passing left a lot to be desired as well. France have made great changes and if Parra and Trinh-Duc can get a hold of the game, they could win this. England are good at controlling games, but they can never seem to put teams away. Farrell will be happy to kick points so I can't see England running away with this. The + 8 on France is huge. Saying that I still expect England to win, so the 11/8 to win between 1-12 pts looks fair. 3pts France + 8 evs Hills 2pts England win 1-12 pts 11/8 numerous firms. 1pt Huget anytime 5/1 PP

4pts Italy +3.5 H/T Handicap @ EVS (Bet365) :ok 4pts under 2.5 tries @ 11-10 (Bet365) :ok
4pts France +8 @ EVS (Bet365)
:wall First game of the day went to plan, Italy stayed competitive in the first half before running out comfortable winners in the second, the rain helped to stop any free flowing rugby and kept the try count down to ensure a nice profit of 8.4pts for the game! Mixed emotions on the second game, happy as an English man that we won but annoyed from a betting point of view! France started the game strongly and in the first half i thought i might be regretting not backing them outright for the game as they looked dangerous, but once they made their changes they went into their shell and never looked like putting themselves back into the game, talk about substitutions winning games! Thought England put in a decent performance Esp the second and back row, their carrying and tackling was outstanding! Ashton however is starting to become a worry defensively and the whole wing situation is becoming a bit of a worry for me leading up to the world cup! -4pts on the game for 4.4pts profit on the day! Well done to all the other winners and unlucky to anyone else on the France handicap but it was the right play to make with that line up and if the same team starts next week i'll be looking at backing them til halftime and then maybe oppose in play once the changes are made!

Re: 6 Nations 4pts Ireland -2 to beat Scotland @ EVS (William Hill) Fancy Ireland to get the better of Scotland today, i know they're missing key players but their record against Scotland speaks for itself! Ireland have won 11 of 13 encounters in the Six Nations and 5 of 6 times at Murrayfield! Also Ireland haven't been beaten in consecutive games since 2008, these stats along with the fact this line would of been covered in 10 of the 13 games between these sides is good enough for me!

Re: 6 Nations Cant call this game today. Scotland have looked impressive with ball in hand so far in the Six Nations but outside half Jackson is just too inconsistent but Laidlaw is class at scrum half and he can control a game like Parra did yesterday for France till he was taken off:wall Sexton Darcy and Zebo missing for Ireland are big losses but Paddy Jackson has played extremely well for Ulster all season so the Scots really have to put some good hits in on him early. Too many anomalies in this game for me but I have afeeling that Scotland might just seneak but I'm not confident enough for a bet. Good luck all.

80% possession and they lose the game' date=' still not sure i can believe it![/quote'] Ronan O Gara had to start that game today, starting that young lad in such circimstances was suicide, I felt sorry for Paddy Jackson today. ROG would have slotted over those kicks more than likely and it would have been a different game. O'Driscoll was terrible today, and Keith Earls was extremely selfish and should have passed the ball to BOD for a certain try. Sad day for Irish rugby, time for Kidney to resign, he doesn't have it.

Re: 6 Nations Yeah you gotta give Scotland credit for their defensive work today, big effort! Thought O Gara was poor again today when he came on as he was last week! (what was that kick that got BOD in trouble all about?!) Apart from his kicking game and the knock on at the start i thought Jackson did o.k and worked well with the lad at 12!(sorry forgot his name) It's understandable to miss a few kicks on debut due to nerves and they weren't exactly gimmes, but it was a clear tactic of Ireland to kick for touch today and if you're gonna do that you're then relying on good line out ball which was extremely poor today! Kieth Earls Selfishness was probably a moment that cost Ireland the game as well, if he puts BOD in for the try or if Ireland kick their penalties instead of kicking for touch, you'd have to say they'd of probably gone in 15 points up at half time and the game would of been beyond Scotland! Kidney and Ireland haven't exactly had much luck with injuries over the last 12 months though have they! He had a game plan today and if the forwards could of managed some decent line outs or Earls remembered to pass we'd probably be sitting here commenting on a great Irish performance!

Re: 6 Nations Disappointed by the result yesterday. I just got a feeling near the end of the 1st that we should have killed the Scots off and the lack of a killer instinct would lose us the game. Agree with you chubb injuries have been tough on Ireland the last year but it's forced their hand to try new players, which wouldn't have happened otherwise. Has it helped us? Probably not as I think the malaise is not down to squad selection. I see our provinces playing confident rugby in teams with 12+ Irish players beating clubs full of internationals since 2006 and the national side has performed poorly since 2011 (despite continuing provincial success). We get the odd good result but no consistency and i've noticed we don't always have a back up game-plan which is frustrating since all the players can think for themselves. One swallow doesn't make a summer but since the World Cup we haven't been the sum of our parts. If we don't win both remaining games I think we should have a new management come in. Kidney, ROG, O'Connell and many others have given many Irish people rugby memories of a lifetime but it may be that their time has past. Full credit to Scotland for sticking in there. That's probably the end of my wooden spoon bet.

Re: 6 Nations Currently in Scotland on the bi-annual trip. Am absolutely amazed by the total confidence of the average Jock-in-the-pub here that Scotland are going to thrash us. No question in their mind that they are going to bury us - and it's not bs either, some are prepared to wager decent money at evens. Can't believe that, after that ****e win over Ireland, they genuinely believe they will deffo. come second to England and are starting to actually believe they are world beaters. Am I missing something here ? I thought they were crap, are crap, and we should beat them fairly comfortably barring accidents. I was starting to think I got it wrong but just checked on-line and we are 4/9 with Stan James. I'm now about to start taking full advantage of their misplaced confidence and generosity at a steal of a price. Good luck all. Nobber.

Re: 6 Nations I think we'll win Nob by 1 -12pts I'd rather bet on that than the 4/9 on offer. I'm sure we'll kick for territory and our front 5 should have the edge over Scotland and we'll gain enough penalties for Halfpenny to kick us to victory. Can't see our backline cutting free just wish we Howley was still scrumhalf instead of a coach as he always guarateed quick ball where as Phillips sometimes takes an age.

Currently in Scotland on the bi-annual trip. Am absolutely amazed by the total confidence of the average Jock-in-the-pub here that Scotland are going to thrash us. No question in their mind that they are going to bury us - and it's not bs either, some are prepared to wager decent money at evens. Can't believe that, after that ****e win over Ireland, they genuinely believe they will deffo. come second to England and are starting to actually believe they are world beaters. Am I missing something here ? I thought they were crap, are crap, and we should beat them fairly comfortably barring accidents. I was starting to think I got it wrong but just checked on-line and we are 4/9 with Stan James. I'm now about to start taking full advantage of their misplaced confidence and generosity at a steal of a price. Good luck all. Nobber.
I'm Scottish, but I'm not a rugby fan. You are spot on that Wales should win this and 4/9 is a fairly decent price to get on it.

Re: 6 Nations Got £110 on at EVENS with a couple of lads up here - and given them the draw. Always an excellent trip here, good atmosphere, great hospitality, just hope it's good game. Back Monday, all the best lads. Nobber.

Re: 6 Nations Wales v Scotland This should be a real tough battle but the Welsh are gaining momentum and are yet to utilise the strength of their backs. Their front 5 was awesome against Italy and are strengthened further still by the return of Alun Wyn Jones whilst Warburton replaces the unfortuante Justin Tipuric who hasn'treally put a foot wrong. One things for certain if Scotland give Wales 80% possession they will be punished severely. I don't see that happening this week and their scrum has looked solid and will need to be to have any chance against a ferocious looking Welsh pack. I can see Wales grinding out a narrow victory here and I fancy them to win by 1 -12 pts. Recommended Bet: Wales to beat Scotland by 1 - 12pts at 11/8 with Ladbrokes Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/six-nations-2013-scotland-v-wales-betting-wales-to-keep-up-their-winning-streak-at-murrayfield Ireland v France France coach Saint Andre has again tinkered with his squad here and names Morgan Parra and Michalak as the preferred half back pairing. Michalak is a liability and should never start in front of Trinh Duc in my eyes. He has also replaced Basteraud who caused England all sorts of problems. This game looks extremely tight too call but Saint Andre looks out of his depth as a top level coach to me. France have a squad full of talent but Andre seems unable to utilise it efficiently and I think Ireland can get the victory at a tasty 5/4. Recommended Bet: Ireland to beat France at 5/4 with Coral Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/six-nations-2013-ireland-v-france-betting-ireland-tipped-to-grind-out-a-victory-in-dublin England v Italy Italy are yet to taste victory against the English but they came mightily close in Rome lasy year but since then this England side have gone from strength to strength, as has their Captain Chris Robshaw who always gives 100%. I think England will win cosily but the Italians are given a +26pt start here which is the same mark given by the bookmakers when the Italian squad was originally announced but I think that the return of Sergio Parisse should have seen that mark decline slighly but it hasn't. That mark could be slightly generous but Italy +13.5 at half time definitely is generous and I can see them staying well within that margin during the first half as they very often fo during the Six Nations. Recommended Bet: Italy +13.5 to beat England on the half time handicap at 10/11 with skybet Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/six-nations-2013-england-v-italy-betting-parisse-back-for-italy-and-bookmakers-haven-t-acted-accordingly