** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cheltenham Decisions - which race

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race I wouldnt give up on The New One just yet, i thought they were being greedy on saturday after his win at Warwick in very bad ground, two races on that ground in decent company took its toll, he will also be better when the good ground returns. He has a turn of foot needed to win at the Festival and i'm sure wont be far away, they think an awful lot of him at home. Grands Crus came back to the unsaddling area absolutely shot, something wrong there and nothing to do with stamina, beaten a mile out, i suspect the breathing op hasn't worked totally and will be surprised if he won at any trip in top company. Mind you a lot of horses were beaten early dont you think?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race Don't think i'd wanna be backing anything at 7-2 right now for the Neptune, as BH said can't rule out The New One, does have a decent turn of foot and should be better on good ground, also if the ground is good to soft or better Puffin Billy could still line up in this making the Neptune a hot little race! Happy with the bet i had friday night on Pont Alexandre, don't wanna be backing The New One at current prices but think it warrants enough respect to save stake on, leaving PA as my big winner!

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race I think the main problem with Grand Crus is the ground he's been running on. If he's had a breathing operation, anything with soft in the going, is going to be an obstacle to him. Tricky 1 for connections, either revert to hurdling and aim for the Aintree hurdle, or wait a day, and go for the 20f Melling chase. Personally I'd avoid Cheltenham (where he has now failed in 3 top class races), and wait for Aintree and hopefully, better ground.

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race

I think the main problem with Grand Crus is the ground he's been running on. If he's had a breathing operation, anything with soft in the going, is going to be an obstacle to him. Tricky 1 for connections, either revert to hurdling and aim for the Aintree hurdle, or wait a day, and go for the 20f Melling chase. Personally I'd avoid Cheltenham (where he has now failed in 3 top class races), and wait for Aintree and hopefully, better ground.
Agree absolutely with the ground problem. Also think he's better on flatter courses nowadays.

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race any clues from this weekend on where horses will go Looks Like Conan needs the 2m 4f, i think the Arkle will be too quick and it wont beat Simonsig or overturn. I see Overturn is running tomorrow again at Musselburgh Doncaster has a decent card also Monday.

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race I don't really know what it is but I just don't like Captain Conan. Did well to get up today and win but I just can't see him winning at the festival. I think he is more than likely to go for the Jewson where I really like the chances of Aupcharlie

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race They might leave him in incase the ground turns up soft i suppose, but he's still not the number one in the yard is he? If Grandouet got injured again then they might well think about it but i reckon its ground dependant and the World Hurdle looks favourite.

any clues from this weekend on where horses will go Looks Like Conan needs the 2m 4f, i think the Arkle will be too quick and it wont beat Simonsig or overturn. I see Overturn is running tomorrow again at Musselburgh Doncaster has a decent card also Monday.
Overturn won with ease and looks set for the Arkle as a live contender to Simonsig. The Jewson still looks a decent race and Boston Bobs participation in either the Jewson, RSA or another race will no doubt be decided after its weekend run. For me it still has to prove it will get a true 3m. The Jewson remains a decent fall back if it fails. Oscar whisky backed into 20's for the Champion Hurdle but i agree, it is most likely to go for the World Hurdle where it shows as the 5/1 fav in the absence of Big Bucks. In that sane race Quevega is 10/1, any thoughts on Quevega running twice in the mares on the tuesday and back for the World Hurdle on the Thursday?

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race When asked last year at the start of the jumps season on whether or not they would ever run Quevega against Big Bucks the owners of Q were of the opinion that they would be happy to if Big Bucks could enter the mares' race at the festival. Rather than meaning "its a race thats never going to happen", i felt at the time they meant the trip of 20f suits their horse as opposed to the 24f of the World hurdle. Granted BB is no longer in the frame but he didnt win by much of a margin last year so the competition id expect will be running similar race times in the WH this year. Quevega also has the least runs per season of all the top horses i think - she averages only 2 runs (probably why she isnt in many people's 10 to follow). Can never say never in this sport though, but it seems to me to be unlikely. Just thinking .....is one horse permitted to run in more than one race at the festival?

Just thinking .....is one horse permitted to run in more than one race at the festival?
yes, absolutely - no problem doing that. Some horses have multiple entries often as a safety net in case (for example) they fell at the first flight in a race on the Tuesday and didn't in effect have a race, then they could have another go at a race in the festivals remaining days. :ok

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race I don't think Quevega running twice is completely out of the question although unlikely. I would say much will depend on how she comes out of the mates race. If she bolts up as she normally does then I would go for the World as well. With the mares race in the bag she would have nothing to lose going for the World Hurdle. It's a win win situation for me. If she gets beat then people will applaud connections for giving the double a go plus she has a valid excuse. If she wins then she goes in the history books (somewhere she already is).

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race The horse welfare angle is something else thats worth considering. Imagine if Q won the mares' race and then something untoward happened (goodness forbid) to her in the WH. Given what recently happened to Mujamead running twice in five days over jumps (a handsome win thursday and then gone forever on monday) i dont think it would look very good for the sport. If like Boulder explained Q exits the mares race early but in good order then fair play. Also, if you can get on with any bookmaker that atleast offers a freebet for non-runners then taking a price on Q in the WH is certainly more appealing (even though it doesnt get my dosh).

Overturn won with ease and looks set for the Arkle as a live contender to Simonsig. The Jewson still looks a decent race and Boston Bobs participation in either the Jewson, RSA or another race will no doubt be decided after its weekend run. For me it still has to prove it will get a true 3m. The Jewson remains a decent fall back if it fails. Oscar whisky backed into 20's for the Champion Hurdle but i agree, it is most likely to go for the World Hurdle where it shows as the 5/1 fav in the absence of Big Bucks. In that sane race Quevega is 10/1, any thoughts on Quevega running twice in the mares on the tuesday and back for the World Hurdle on the Thursday?
Expect Boston Bob to run in the RSA as same owners have Back In Focus which will probably run in the National Hunt Chase and they'll wanna keep them apart, also Mullins has Vesper Bell for the National Hunt Chase and Aupcharlie for the Jewson!

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race any thoughts after yesterday Boston Bob just scraping home again, will it get 3m? Still unconvinced, but i assume they will got the RSA still? My tent or yours surely wont go champion hurdle, supreme seems to be the option but with no cheltenham form, i think it will be in 1st 4 but perhaps not the winner. Next year Champion hurdle no double Whats the thoughts on Champagne Fever, finally won yesterday, 1st time it hasnt been odds on since last years festival win Flemenstar is another one which possibly will stick with Ryanair now

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race I think Flemenstar will go Ryanair and will be very hard to beat. Agree with you in regards to My Tent or Yours... don't think he will win but will probably finish placed. I am backing Pique Sous for the Supreme. Not so sure about Boston Bob. I don't think I would want to take on Dynaste. I can see the RSA being a pretty small field because of Dynaste. I think he will be the horse to break the trend of Feltham winners not winning the RSA. I fear Champagne Fever may go for the Supreme, which I don't think he can win. They have Pont Alexandre in the Neptune and I doubt connections would want them both in the same race.

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race There's no doubt Boston Bob gets three miles, his run in the AB last year clearly proves that, he just seems a total plodder with no tactical speed. Maybe that'll help him in the RSA, but I can't see him winning it. Flemenstar will either win the Ryanair (if his reported travelling issues don't surface) or finish a good second in the QM. I've no doubt he'll shake Sprinter up.

My tent or yours surely wont go champion hurdle, supreme seems to be the option but with no cheltenham form, i think it will be in 1st 4 but perhaps not the winner. Next year Champion hurdle no double
I wouldn't be backing either, but worth noting that none of the last six Supreme winners had previously won at Cheltenham and four of these hadn't run at the course before. 7/4 is plenty short enough though.

I wouldn't be backing either' date=' but worth noting that none of the last six Supreme winners had previously won at Cheltenham and four of these hadn't run at the course before. 7/4 is plenty short enough though.[/quote'] I don't think you necessarily have to have won at Cheltenham to be judged as having form at the track. A good showing in the Champion Bumper will suffice as far as I am concerned. Plus it's difficult for the Irish challengers to have had a run at the track if they hadn't contested the Champion Bumper the previous season. I have already backed Pique Sous for the race but wouldn't be surprised if MTOY hacked up

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race Its always funny when a horse wins a race then so many people jump on the fashion train and forget about everything else, the SNH has a top quality field as per, sure MTOY has a good chance of taking it but his price is very short for a race like the supreme, its funny how some punters forget about fences & hurdles, one mistake and your cash could be gone and at a short price at that, its no wonder so many punters take an early bath. Anything can happen from now till the festival, as the saying goes..............Only fools rush in.

Its always funny when a horse wins a race then so many people jump on the fashion train and forget about everything else, the SNH has a top quality field as per, sure MTOY has a good chance of taking it but his price is very short for a race like the supreme, its funny how some punters forget about fences & hurdles, one mistake and your cash could be gone and at a short price at that, its no wonder so many punters take an early bath. Anything can happen from now till the festival, as the saying goes..............Only fools rush in.
Couldnt agree with you more. If we wins the Supreme then fair play but otherwise he is just inflating the price on the rest of field.