** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Midweek > Non-league Jan 14-16

Re: England > Midweek > Non-league Jan 14-16

I was also interested in Macclesfield but was initially put off by the reported absence of Kissock in midfield. I had understood that Barnes-Homer would probably play, although it would seem from Ships' information that he is being kept for Saturday's home game against his old side, Kidderminster. I was also expecting goals in this game but will swerve completely now, given the absences of Macc's key players.
No MBH and no Kissock, though it still looks a decent side.

Telford as a home underdog of 4.0 or better are 0-2 this season, losing 1-2 to Forest Green and 0-2 to Wrexham. Luton are 4-0-2 in the favorite spot away, losing at Alfreton and Woking. Cambridge this season are 4-2-2 at home against dogs of 4.0 or better...Tamworth and Telford nicked draws there, and Hyde and Dartford won outright. Nuneaton, a perfect 4 draws as big home dogs (against Wrexham, Cambridge, Forest Green and Macclesfield), are 1-3-5 away as a dog of 4.0+, beating Alfreton and drawing against Hyde, Macclesfield and Grimsby. However, at over 6.0 Nuneaton are 0-1-3...and worse yet, as big dogs away they've only managed to score in three of nine games. If Nuneaton are over 6.0 at kickoff, it's no play for me, but I'll be on Telford to draw @ 4.06.
Never mind. If I'd opposed Cambridge, it'd have been a draw bet, not an outright win. Nuneaton are really taking it to them.

Re: England > Midweek > Non-league Jan 14-16 Bognor have won 3-1 and Mansfield look like doing the same so the best two bets for me tonight have both won and made a nice few quid of the Bognor game. Well done to Ships for bringing that to everyones attention.

Re: England > Midweek > Non-league Jan 14-16 I've had a play on Margate at 7/4 away tonight to Met Police. I took in the Concord / Margate match a few weeks ago and even though Margate got beat, they created enough chances to win half a dozen games, not to mention the fact that they blazed a penalty over the bar. A performance like they produced should give them a live chance...but God only knows how this match is on as it's currently -3C outside.

Everytime you think Luton have solved their problems they go and get a poor result against a team they should be beating easily.
That might be a touch harsh. Our problems have only ever been defensively and on that basis we look to have solved our problem. I'm sure on a normal night we would have won the game quite comfortably but conditions made for a poor game. When I got there I thought the pitch would be ok but it started cutting up in the warm up and had a whole layer of frost on it, so much so that from up the top of the stand I actually thought it was a layer of snow on it :$. It was hard to move the ball on the floor and even in the air the ball didn't go very far with a heavy frost coming down. In the first half we were rubbish and couldn't get going at all and the ball spent most of the time in the midfield. In the second half we got it forward and tried to move it around up front but could never really get any fluency. Even then we had 2-3 great chances to win. The keeper made 2 excellent saves and Shaw missed a chance he'd score probably 99 times in 100 :sad. Telford fought hard and closed everything down which you suspect they've not been doing in recent games, or if they have I don't see why they've gone so long without a win, but I don't recall them seeing our goal apart from a 25 yard shot which grazed the bar. Not the result we wanted obviously but it was another good defensive performance at least which is good as it is clear as day that's been our problem this season. I had a feeling the Wolves game might be a turnaround for us defensively and so far so good. If that area of the pitch maintains the improvement then we shouldn't be too far away. On the flip side I would expect Telford to start getting results if they play like that each week.

Re: England > Midweek > Non-league Jan 14-16 I suspect Telford have not been playing like that everyweek and I certainly would not want to go backing them on the basis of that. Probably slight frustration by my comment last night as it really does seem every time I think Luton are going to go on a decent run they get a silly result when I've backed them. I am also getting nervy about the lumpy e/w bet I had pre season.

I suspect Telford have not been playing like that everyweek and I certainly would not want to go backing them on the basis of that. Probably slight frustration by my comment last night as it really does seem every time I think Luton are going to go on a decent run they get a silly result when I've backed them. I am also getting nervy about the lumpy e/w bet I had pre season.
We're making progress which is all we can ask. On the face of it the result last night was disappointing but as I said the performance wasn't that bad. Our signings have made an immediate impact and Shaw (bar his chance last night) looks to have settled in and is delivering the goods so if the defence continues to go well everything is in place for a strong finish to the season. I think everyone sometimes forgets this is a new team (only 4 of last night's starting XI started the playoff final) so to be in touch without having fully gelled is good at this stage and if we can finish strongly which I think we will do then we'll be in the mix. Of the five teams above us only Wrexham have been to our place and we're starting to play well at home now with 7 home wins on the bounce so all isn't lost just yet :ok.