** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January

Ok I will give my 2ps worth - i priced up this game in my head before ssing the odds and had Man Utd at least 4/6 if not 4/7 so to see them almost evens with some bookies looks a good price - I think if Man Utd were playing any other team that are placed near Liverpool in the league ie West Brom, Stoke, Swansea, Everton or even Arsenal I think Utd's price would have been a lot shorter - yes I know there is a lot of history between these clubs but i just think the gulf in class is massive - Liverpool are rebuilding but that is going to take time for Brendan Rodgers to do this and the time is not now. Can see Man Utd winning this 2-0 or 2-1 but as I have got older my bets have become shrewder so I am going to go with - Man Utd to win or draw - odds are 1/4 with Skybet which I think is a good price. I think the only risk to this is a stupid early red card but with Utd being at home and Webb in charge the chances are Liverpool are more likely to be down to 10 men than Utd. Good luck all who are having a go in this match and for the record I am a neutral in this match so am not biased. Joe
Would you not open a betfair account and lay Liverpool @4.3-4.4? By taking the 1/4 with Skybet, you are basically laying them @5.0. If you are after value you have to bet the best value about your picks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January

With all the hype surrounding RVP and Suarez I wouldn't be surprised if this is 0 - 0. Both sides have got better defensively in recent weeks. 0 - 0 @ 18/1 skybet 1 unit
You should always bet 'no 1st goalscorer' if you fancy 0-0 as you get the same price and get paid out if it's 1-0 with an own goal! TQM

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January Liverpool have only been an underdog of 4.0 or better or once this season, with the result being 1-1 at Chelsea. Man Utd have been a home favorite of 4.0 or better 10 times, of course, with a record of 9-0-1, the lone blemish a 2-3 loss at the hands of Spurs. Eight of those 10 went over 2.5 goals, and 7 went over 3.5. This will sound strange, as the bets appear to contradict themselves, but I have taken: Draw @ 3.62 Man Utd -0.75 @ 2.3 Over 3 goals @ 2.07 All 5d I expect Utd to win and overs...I'm taking the draw as that's what my strategy tells me to do. I expect to win 2 of 3...Only a 0-1 or 0-2 result here can see me lose all 3, and a 1-0 for Utd is just a half win.

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January United set up to run liverpool off the park. Both Cleverly and Welbeck start which suggests pace and movement. van Persie to score 2 in this line up , with plenty of space to operate in. Liverpool will not handle the pace. This is very similar to the Spurs game against Liverpool. 1st start for ferdinand / Vidic combo which will give the wingbacks more scope. Fear for Liverpool today.....

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January Liverpool beaten again this season by a club above them. They remain in 8th after this result, and have still not beaten a side in the top ten of the BPL. After 22 games coming up to 2/3 rds of the season played they are undoubtably a mid table side. Well done to all who took the incredible EVENS about Manchester United on this game, and would not be diswayed by old time history. Final score Man Utd 2 Liverpool 1 WD all

For what it's worth I agree with you that United will win, I'm not as confident about both teams scoring though I wouldn't talk anyone against it - United have conceded to many teams inferior to Liverpool and will always have a chance of scoring with Suarez on the pitch. For greater odds you could combine your bet of Both Teams to Score & United win at 3.25 (9/4) with Skybet. Worth a punt, I reckon.
Well, if you know your teams going to lose you may as well win some money on it! :p

Man United to beat Liverpool @ 1.952 (Pinnacle:8pts) Is this price a joke?........:rollin...Liverpool are an average side, I have no doubt that United will yet again beat them on Sunday. Doesnt matter if it turns out tight, open, whatever, United will get it done. The mythical figure of Lucas wont do much to change the result, he's a hustler, chases people and plays simple passes, funny how he's become an all-conquering midfielder while injured. Scouse humour I guess. United are gonna win the title this season, we've all but confirmed that by selling Van Persie to them and he is the stand-out player in the league. I can see some contribution from him on Sunday too. United are a far superior side, playing at home which comes with extra benefits. Liverpool are an average side + Suarez. I expected United no higher than 1.70 here, do people actually back Liverpool regularly, their prices amaze me every week. Anyway, fill yer boots here. United to get the win.
WIN.

I can't really see any logical reason for the United price to be so high. Think it has been slightly higher but anything near evens is very good imo. United are by no means unbeatable and have looked ragged at times this season but look to be coming into decent form now and are starting to get players back from injury. Plenty of discussion on here about whether Liverpool are still a 'big' team (who gives a toss? This is a gambling thread), what about the more important aspects of the game? Vidic isn't yet up to speed, I personally don't think he will be until next season, and Fergie has said he is going to rotate Rio and Vidic until the end of the season, which could work quite well but doesn't give them any kind of stability. Rio and Evans are very likely to start this game and look the most suited of the United options up against Suarez, who is the main Liverpool threat, although it does give them problems in the air without Vidic from set pieces. I have a feeling Rooney is likely to be on the bench at least, a 20 or 30 minute cameo perhaps, Nani also comes into contention along with Anderson. I watched United against Wigan and I thought Rafael was superb going forward, Evra had also improved from what I had seen earlier in the season, seemed to have an extra half yard of pace. I can certainly see Liverpool scoring but out scoring United? Unlikely for me. How will Ferguson approach the game, Kagawa is expected to start although I doubt if he will last the 90mins. That points to just RVP up front for me with Kagawa just behind, he won't put Kagawa in a midfield 4, this would be harsh on Chico as he has looked back to his old self recently. Its difficult to predict United's midfield as they have plenty of options and none of their wingers are in good form really. I might be wrong but I think we will see; --------------------------------------------De Gea--------------------------------------------- --Evra------------------------Evans--------------------------Ferdinand-----------------Rafael-- ------------------------------Cleverley-----------------Carrick---------------------------------- --------Valencia----------------------------Kagawa-------------------------Young/Giggs-------- ---------------------------------------------Van Persie----------------------------------------- If Fergie springs a surprise and starts Rooney I think it will be at the expense of Kagawa as he will be wary of the midfield struggles they've had recently against Liverpool, accommodating a luxury player like Kagawa in a straightforward 4-4-2 is asking for trouble and I don't think he would anyway. I don't know if there would be any impact on the over 2.5 odds if they do go with just RVP up front. ----------------------------------------------Reina---------------------------------------------- --Wisdom------------------------Skrtel-----------------------Agger---------------------Johnson-- -------------------------------Gerrard-----------------------Lucas------------------------------- -------------------------------------------Henderson-------------------------------------------- --------Suarez-------------------------------Sturridge-------------------------------Sterling----- Apparently Sturridge is likely to start for Liverpool and with Sterling and Suarez they have a real threat on the break and look to be set up to be a decent away side with pace to burn in forward areas. Henderson seems to be the preferred option over Allen in the more advanced role although Gerrard will obviously be getting forward at every opportunity. Liverpool sat back too much at OT last year and got picked off, I think they will press United high up the pitch here and really try to close down the space quickly. They have plenty of pace and ability in forward areas and will certainly get chances because United rarely keep clean sheets. Liverpool's away record has been documented on here enough, by the teams I have put up above it looks like a midfield battle but I think it will be an entertaining game, there is a bit of needle between the sides and the OT crowd will make some noise for a change both teams will pass the ball well and Liverpool might well have more possession than people think, likely to be fairly high tempo which will probably suit United if they can get the ball out to wide areas quickly, Rafael and Evra will be bombing on at every opportunity and the Liverpool side looks quite narrow defensively. Rodgers might well pick Downing for his defensive abilities, but I don't see them being overly cautious, it isn't in his nature and why not have a go at United? They have conceded plenty and Liverpool will be confident of scoring at least one goal. Fedar made a good post earlier about the odds for over 2.5, people will say there is no 'value' in over 2.5 goals purely because it is under 1.65, just because a line has low odds doesn't have anything to do with what people call 'value' (although the use of this term annoys me sometimes!), I think it is a decent price as the over 2.5 looks likely for me and this fixture usually delivers for goals and overall entertainment value, the stats Fedar listed speak for themselves. Over 3.0 at evens is certainly worth a play also, I'm having a couple of small plays on correct scorelines too as for some reason I've convinced myself it will be 2-1 or 3-1. Man United - 1.95 - hills - 5 Points WIN Goal Line Over 2.5 - 1.61 - 32red - 10 Points WIN Goal Line Over 3.0 - 2.02 - bet365 - 5 Points PUSH Correct Score 2-1 - 9.0 - 32red - 1 Point WIN Correct Score 3-1 - 15.0 - 32red - 1 Point
Decent game betting wise, Liverpool lost it in the first half really Suarez was totally isolated and they looked a different team with Sturridge on the pitch. United were just about good enough (how many times have we said that this season?), should have been at least two up at the break but had enough to see it through. The United price was too big.

Manchester United-Liverpool AH-0.5 @1.94 5/10 Sbobet HUGE value here on Manchester United. They are the number one contender for the title without a doubt being already 7 points clear of Manchester City. The Red Devils have a marvellous home record of 9 won matches out of 10. They scored 28 goals during these 10 matches. United are a real home force as you see it by looking at the stats of the past seasons. United get better and better like they normally do after Christmas. They didn't concede in the last 2 league matches and Vidic is giving the defence more safety and confidence. I expect two of Ferdinand, Evans and Vidic to play in the defence from the beginning. Right-back will be Rafael and Evra continues on his left side. The midfield pair is most likely consisting out of Carrick and Cleverley, two very underated players but their impacts are huge. Cleverley is playing a brilliant season while Carrick is a beast in controlling the ball. There are two possible formations Ferguson could opt from: either he will play with two wingers, most likely Young and Valencia, or he will opt to use the diamond formation and bring in Kagawa instead of Valencia. To add to this strong squad, both Nani and Anderson are fit and will be back in the squad for thi clash between the arch-rivals. Rooney and Jones are also back in training and this is the first time for years that all players are fit and available at the same time. Ferguson has ruled out Rooney to participate in this match saying he is more likely to feature in the FA Cup's rematch against West Ham on weednesday, but Rooney is raring to go and I expect him to be on the bench for this one. Liverpool are a very inconsistent team. They always do rise their game against United but their squad is simply too weak to me. They have an average squad + Suarez. Gerrard has become old. Sahin is a flop so far and Liverpool want him to leave in this transfer window. Johnson will step in as left-back as Enrique is injured while young Wisdom will play as the right-back. Kkeper Reina is far away from his best as Liverpool would be willing to let him leave if the get an good offer. If the play Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson in midfield they will have no chance against Carrick and Clverley. Suarez is the main threat but Sterling looks to be tired and also Sturridge's possible participation won't be too scary for United. If United were to play against another team that are one or two places behind or ahead of Liverpool, United would get just @1.3 or so. No way that these odds are fair at all. HUGE value here as I'd expected maximum @1.6 for the home win even considering the big rivalry between both teams and the fact that Liverpoll always rise their game against United. Normally a high bet here but I don't want to get too much imvolved as a fan. If I wasn't, I would probably bet 8/10 or even more here. Furethermore the referee will be Howard Webb who is said to favour United (although there are no stats that proof this). GL
:D

Would you not open a betfair account and lay Liverpool @4.3-4.4? By taking the 1/4 with Skybet' date=' you are basically laying them @5.0. If you are after value you have to bet the best value about your picks.[/quote'] Hi there I can see where you are coming from but I had some money in my sky bet account + a free bet I was owed so decided to take the 1/4 with them - if I had layed Liverpool with Betfair the time I had paid there rip off 5% comission would not have won much more + am collecting tokens with Skybet and that bet would have earned me another one towards a free bet. I called the score right 2-1 but am not greedy am happy to take the winnings on the Man Utd or draw - easy money.

Hi there I can see where you are coming from but I had some money in my sky bet account + a free bet I was owed so decided to take the 1/4 with them - if I had layed Liverpool with Betfair the time I had paid there rip off 5% comission would not have won much more + am collecting tokens with Skybet and that bet would have earned me another one towards a free bet. I called the score right 2-1 but am not greedy am happy to take the winnings on the Man Utd or draw - easy money.
Yeah well done on your win. I just hate those double chance bets with the bookies when there is clearly better prices available elsewhere.

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January Apologies if there is a better place for this ? I went to Ladbrokes today with my scorecast slip in hand , I had 3 scores and 4 players so 12 scorecast bets in total RVP/2-1 was one of them so that paid out at 20-1 , all fine so far I had two non-runners so expected 2 singles on 2-1 , now the fun starts :wall The "assistant" was adamant I would only get my stake back as Ladbrokes had a "special" at the weekend !!! Is this normal ? as far as I was concerned , on the back of the slip it clearly states that non-runners convert into a single on the score. We had quite a polite but heated argument, she phoned up the other shop, she phoned her manager, and in the end paid me out with such a sour look on her face ! And shops wonder why people do business online nowadays more and more :p Surely a "special" should be of benefit to a customer ? faie enough if it is clearly stated , but to try to not pay my bet is just a cheap trick !

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January Apologies if there is a better place for this ? I went to Ladbrokes today with my scorecast slip in hand , I had 3 scores and 4 players so 12 scorecast bets in total RVP/2-1 was one of them so that paid out at 20-1 , all fine so far I had two non-runners so expected 2 singles on 2-1 , now the fun starts :wall The "assistant" was adamant I would only get my stake back as Ladbrokes had a "special" at the weekend !!! Is this normal ? as far as I was concerned , on the back of the slip it clearly states that non-runners convert into a single on the score. We had quite a polite but heated argument, she phoned up the other shop, she phoned her manager, and in the end paid me out with such a sour look on her face ! And shops wonder why people do business online nowadays more and more :p Surely a "special" should be of benefit to a customer ? fair enough if it is clearly stated , but to try to not pay my bet is just a cheap trick !