** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

I'm having a home tournament....

swampster

...this weekend, got 16 players, £20 buy-in freezeout. top 4 get paid. basically the plan was to play till there were 4 left on each table then have a final table of 8 playing off for the money. but i got thinking....if one table gets wiped out quite quickly, do i even up the tables or just leave it till there are 4 left from each ? everyone will be taking their chips to the final table, but if the blinds are going up every half-hour or so, seems unfair on the players left hanging around waiting for the other table to get down to its last 4. any ideas ?

Re: I'm having a home tournament.... Hi mate, I was involved in very similar game myself and its always difficult to arrange so everything falls just right. We did exactly what you suggest with 4 from each table qualifying for final table, amazingly both tables ran at the same pace and no-one was hanging about for too long. One thing we did once was raise the blinds when someone got eliminated instaed of on the clock. That works also and you are in more control of the blinds and keeps in pace with the chips people have left. Just a thought. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Re: I'm having a home tournament.... No, everyone carried forward their chips, this made it more realistic to the tournaments we see on TV, and lets face it thats why the popularity of 'texas' is where it is today. It was a really good atmosphere, like a poker party, with the players bringing their own refreshments, food etc.. We even had 5minute fag/toilet breaks. When the final 8 were known, we drew for seats and had a proper chip count so everyone knew where they were in the tournament. The 8 that didnt make it played a £5 tournament along side to try and get their cash back. Our prize money was slightly different, we awarded £10 for reaching the Final Table and then split the rest between top 3 finishers. As time went on we printed out a rule sheet in case of disputes, its amazing how things crop up and if you dont have a ready answer then it can become argumentative, like when 'bum' deals are done, players plays out of turn etc.... I got all the print-outs from this site. They even have a 'hand ranking' pintout that can be laminated and stuck up somewhere because we were encouraging beginners this was useful. http://www.homepokertourney.com/sheets.htm Hope this helps. Cheers BH

Re: I'm having a home tournament.... cheers for that, Billy. seen that home poker site before, great stuff, typical yanks, they even give you blueprints for making your own tables. thing i was concerned about on the night was if top 4 from each table go through, what if one table gets to 4 pretty early, and the other table carries on for ages, with blinds going up all the time ? once the final table sits down, there'll be players who have sat out for a while forced to start the final table on the bigger blinds....or do you bother evening up the 2 tables as people are eliminated ?

Re: I'm having a home tournament.... The answer to that is to have a starting point for the Final Table no matter what. For instance if you start the normal tables at 25/50 (not sure what chip value you are using?) and by the time the four are eliminated the blinds have reached 200/400. You could still make it plain to everyone that the Final Table will begin at say 100/200. That way everyone knows the score from the start. You could even up the tables but i dont like doing this for various reasons, my pet hate in online poker also.