** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Chelsea v Queens Park Rangers > Wed 2nd January

Aidymac

Re: Chelsea v Queens Park Rangers > Wed 2nd January

Yeah' date=' I got hit as badly as anyone on this, but I wouldn't entertain the notion of a fix. Still don't understand why Moses wasn't given a penalty when he was cut in half and Lampard scored the offside goal though.[/quote'] it wasnt a foul mate thats why and anyway it was outside the box same can be said for the sending off after 4mins of Marin for a tackle many have gone for and then he drags down SWP in front of the ref and again Lee Mason fails to send him off

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would avoid this game as the odds for a Chelsea victory are atrocious for a club which has... - failed to score in two of their last three Premier League encounters with QPR - .Rangers have kept only two clean sheets all season but one was against Chelsea -
Fair play to you lad, good shout avoiding this one.

Re: Chelsea v Queens Park Rangers > Wed 2nd January If I'm being totally honest, I had a gut feeling that Benitez had intended on resting a number of his star players, but with the way Man City have been performing lately, I thought they'd make the most of their chances and try gain a little momentum to get one step closer to the top of the taple. Looking back, maybe I should have waited until the lineup had been announced for being laying big bucks but then again, QPR hadn't won a game in 14 months and from what I had seen from Chelsea in recent weeks, they looked almost unstoppable. I guess, it just goes to show the difference star players like Mata can make to the team. After chatting to my old man about the game, he did mention that Chelsea were playing a number of players that their looking to sell. A game against QPR was a great opportunity for them to display their skills and hopefully free up the bank balance after showing what some of the middle classed players were still capable of. The difference being is who wanted the game more? QPR are currently fighting to the death. They don't want to be relegated and with Redknapp behind them, they have every reason to fight until the final minute. I can't get my head round why Benitez didn't just play his star players at the very beginning until they were in a comfortable lead. Was he under the mindset that even his middle classed squad could stample all over a team that's currently fighting for the lives in the bottom of the table? I think this point proves how important it can be to hang tight with bets until you see the official lineup. With so many star players rested, it might be worth while reconsidering placing a substantial bet on what I described as an easy win. On that note, and out of plain curiosity, what sites do people check for up to date lineups? I think it might be something I really need to consider in the near future when I intend on betting again. And yes, I do intend on betting again. This time though, I'm going to think things through a little better without chucking my money away to what I believe is an easy win. If there's one thing I've learned through this tragic bet and I'm sure we've all suffered one from time to time, is there is no certainty in this business. It's called gambling for a reason. Yes, we might do all the research in the world, but in football, especially in the EPL, you just never know. Out of curiosity, does anyone here ever bet big on games they suspect will be an easy win? This was a first for me and it cost me dearly. I mean with odds as low as 3/9 for a team like Man City up against Reading, do people still go out and bet big in the hope for a small return? The more questions I ask, the more I believe I've got some reading up to do. I thought I had it in the bag but it never comes easy. But I'm a fighter and I don't intend on quitting. I just need to come up with a good strategy and stick with it. Picking the odd game here and there for a little action certainly isn't the way to go! Sorry for the rant and I fully appreciate this isn't a thread open for discussion but since it still remains a sticky, I thought this seemed like the most suitable place to post.

Un-stickied as we're hopefully moving on from this :unsure I think it's a good idea to have an exit strategy on any bets you take, and you are right in saying anything can really happen, and it's best to have that at the front of your mind. Just take the loss on the chin and move on :ok no one could have done anything to alter the result and I would never have picked Rangers to win, so, meh.....

On that note' date=' and out of plain curiosity, what sites do people check for up to date lineups?[/quote'] The BBC Football website gives excellent coverage on all Premier League and other big games. They publish live text updates, normally called 'Live Football' or something like that. They normally publish the team news 30-60 minutes before kick-off and they comment on key points. I've checked back, and here's their live coverage of Chelsea v QPR on Wednesday - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20892289 At 19.14 they published the Line-Ups I prefer not to bet at odds much below evens (1/1). I sometimes bet at shorter odds like 1/4, but I try to remember that any bet can lose and not to bet more than I can afford to lose. A friend of mine told me that he was so sure Chelsea would beat QPR, that if he was me he would 'stick everything on Chelsea'. He was joking about it after the result :lol I think all threads are 'open for discussion' - that's the point of the forum :)

If I'm being totally honest, I had a gut feeling that Benitez had intended on resting a number of his star players, but with the way Man City have been performing lately, I thought they'd make the most of their chances and try gain a little momentum to get one step closer to the top of the taple. Looking back, maybe I should have waited until the lineup had been announced for being laying big bucks but then again, QPR hadn't won a game in 14 months and from what I had seen from Chelsea in recent weeks, they looked almost unstoppable. I guess, it just goes to show the difference star players like Mata can make to the team. After chatting to my old man about the game, he did mention that Chelsea were playing a number of players that their looking to sell. A game against QPR was a great opportunity for them to display their skills and hopefully free up the bank balance after showing what some of the middle classed players were still capable of. The difference being is who wanted the game more? QPR are currently fighting to the death. They don't want to be relegated and with Redknapp behind them, they have every reason to fight until the final minute. I can't get my head round why Benitez didn't just play his star players at the very beginning until they were in a comfortable lead. Was he under the mindset that even his middle classed squad could stample all over a team that's currently fighting for the lives in the bottom of the table? I think this point proves how important it can be to hang tight with bets until you see the official lineup. With so many star players rested, it might be worth while reconsidering placing a substantial bet on what I described as an easy win. On that note, and out of plain curiosity, what sites do people check for up to date lineups? I think it might be something I really need to consider in the near future when I intend on betting again. And yes, I do intend on betting again. This time though, I'm going to think things through a little better without chucking my money away to what I believe is an easy win. If there's one thing I've learned through this tragic bet and I'm sure we've all suffered one from time to time, is there is no certainty in this business. It's called gambling for a reason. Yes, we might do all the research in the world, but in football, especially in the EPL, you just never know. Out of curiosity, does anyone here ever bet big on games they suspect will be an easy win? This was a first for me and it cost me dearly. I mean with odds as low as 3/9 for a team like Man City up against Reading, do people still go out and bet big in the hope for a small return? The more questions I ask, the more I believe I've got some reading up to do. I thought I had it in the bag but it never comes easy. But I'm a fighter and I don't intend on quitting. I just need to come up with a good strategy and stick with it. Picking the odd game here and there for a little action certainly isn't the way to go! Sorry for the rant and I fully appreciate this isn't a thread open for discussion but since it still remains a sticky, I thought this seemed like the most suitable place to post.
I think one important thing is to never over-stake, no matter how ''certain'' the outcome seems. I also think most people have to learn that the hard way, and anybody that puts serious cash down on their bets will have done their bollocks at some point before getting wise to the fact. The main thing I bet on is Over 0.5, which obviously means routinely taking odds as low as 1.03. Most the time that kind of bet is fine, but the problem with it is eventually you'll lose, and almost certainly make a loss. I got to a point where I was putting 10%+ of my bank on such bets, and just accepting how stressful that is, heart pounding until a goal goes in, it just isn't right to bet like that. So now it's 1% of the bank maximum from now on. Your situation could be worse too, there's a guy on the Betfair forum who started a thread called ''anti-freeze'' tonight, enough said.

..... The main thing I bet on is Over 0.5, which obviously means routinely taking odds as low as 1.03. Most the time that kind of bet is fine, but the problem with it is eventually you'll lose, and almost certainly make a loss. I got to a point where I was putting 10%+ of my bank on such bets, and just accepting how stressful that is, heart pounding until a goal goes in, it just isn't right to bet like that. So now it's 1% of the bank maximum from now on. ...
10% on a over 0.5 "big lump" bet?! Alex, you must have a really huge bank then. A lot of people on this forum bet 10% on bets at the range of 1.80-2.00, Rio even bet 100% of his bank on a Leeds half-time win vs. Chelsea (and he won!). :D

......... Out of curiosity, does anyone here ever bet big on games they suspect will be an easy win? This was a first for me and it cost me dearly. I mean with odds as low as 3/9 for a team like Man City up against Reading, do people still go out and bet big in the hope for a small return? The more questions I ask, the more I believe I've got some reading up to do. I thought I had it in the bag but it never comes easy. But I'm a fighter and I don't intend on quitting. I just need to come up with a good strategy and stick with it. Picking the odd game here and there for a little action certainly isn't the way to go! .
Mate, don't worry, a lot of us have been exactly where you are now. I myself have suffered from few really big bets on "easy money outcomes" in the beginning of my "career" (around a year and a half ago). The last one was a really tremendous loss from one game and caused me a horrific distress. Fortunately, I have kept my calm and gradually recovered those money. I did my piece of analysis and realized that I made horrific rookie mistakes when doing this bets, so it wasn't just "bad luck" or "a bad day in the office". I have done several big-lump bets since then, but this time after really careful selection and waiting for the right time and the right big bet to come in sight. Fortunately, all the "big-lump" picks I have done ever since the huge blow, have been easy successes, but that's because I taught myself self-discipline and worked hard to restrict the natural human greed at the sight of the so-called "easy money". My advice if you decide to do very heavy bets at low price in the future, is to avoid national leagues, and rather look at international qualifiers and Champions League early stages. These are the places where you can find a real mismatch between two teams and where you can get some very good opportunities for lumping money. In national leagues there is always room for surprises, because if a team has deserved their place in the league, it means that they can put up a fight against anyone there. While in international qualifiers and CL/Europa League early stages, there are teams that are totally out of depth and are completely mismatched against much stronger rivals. Another advice - if you anyway decide to bet big on a certain favorite in a national league against the last team in the group, as in the instance of Chelsea-QPR, I don't think is a good idea to pick a favorite that has won in a very convincing manner the last few games. It means the likelihood that they willl totally underestimate the underdog increases a lot. It would be better to pick a strong favorite which has just slipped in the last game (draw or loss), because it would most certainly guarantee strong motivation and right attitude. Good luck with your future picks, mate, and keep your head up!