** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Group G > Dec 5th (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow)

Aidymac

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Group G > Dec 5th (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow)

Barcelona v Benfica Over 2.5 goals at 1.5 with Betfair looks interesting Benfica will have to go for the win, because they have to match Celtic's result and will have to assume that Celtic will win. It's hard to see it finishing under 2.5. Over 2.5 goals looks decent value at 1.5. If Barcelona score early, there could be a lot of goals here. Over 3.5 goals is 2.24 and over 4.5 is 3.85
Finished Barcelona 0 Benfica 0 I saw quite a bit. Benfica were the better side and completely dominated the first half. They should have been at least two goals up at half time. They broke once and had three players behind the Barcelona defence and still didn't score. Is it a psychological problem scoring at the Nou Camp? Barcelona fielded a second-string side and were poor in the first half, but much improved in the second especially after Messi came on. Barcelona went very close to scoring late on, but it eventually finished 0-0, putting Benfica out with Celtic winning at home.

Celtic - Spartak Moscow The price for Celtic win rose again to acceptable level - 1.72. I think I should take it now. Spartak are a very good team and if they played vs Celtic at any other round of the group stage under different circumstances, they will be very hard to get beaten, but now I think they will more or less have surrender mentality. I think they would rather think about winning their next game in the Russian League where they are lagging behind, and won't care about meaningless CL fixture. Moreover, the money prize for a win is not so tempting for a team like Spartak, because it is not such considerable part of their budget. Last but not least, Russian and Easter European teams in general does not have this German mentality to take seriously every game, even when they have nothing to play for. Many people continue to under-estimate Celtic but they proved to be a force in the CL. Indeed, they are not that technical and do not really have world class players, but I think that the physical pressure they are going to employ on Spartak tonight will be tremendous. Having the match of their lives, getting the fanatic support from the crowd behind them, having gained Euro confidence already, I am sure that Celtic will totally outrun Spartak and will win more than 80% of the man-to-man challenges. This should be more than enough to secure a victory against a sluggish and disinterested Spartak. Celtic @ 1.72
A hard one, but still a victory - Celtic - Spartak 2-1 FT.

Re: Group G > Dec 5th (Barcelona, Benfica, Celtic, Spartak Moscow) Wow, I took such a beating last night... Stupid of me to keep my bets considering I based my arguments and decided to take the bets given that Messi was going to start the game... Should have cancelled or lowered my stakes after seeing the line-up... Can't believe Messi didn't bury that 1-on-1 chance though! Hope he manages to play again this year :S

Will have a play on Benfica to get the most bookings here. The first meeting was a bad-tempered affair, with players losing their tempers late on (3yellows & 1 red after 84 mins). I think a lot was down to frustration from Benfica players, from chasing and chasing all night. Tonight they will need to get a result, but will also need to chase and chase. Should they fall behind, or the news from Glasgow not be going their way, then I think Benfica players may loss their tempers. Also, on the flip side, if they have a result to hold onto, they will be defending it with their lives. Barca don't need a result tonight, and so will play their calm, patient, possession football. Benfica to get the most booking points is 1.3 with Ladbrokes & 1.36 with William Hill, and so the 1.65 from Bwin on them to get the most bookings looks out of line and I will have a go. Not going big as ref is not huge on cards. 3pts Benfica most cards @1.65 - Bwin :hope
2-4 - Bet Won