** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Australia vs South Africa - Test Series

kevshat

Perhaps the highlight of the cricketing winter is the three match test series between Australia and South Africa which begins next Thursday night (Friday morning) in Brisbane. All three matches are live on Sky and the series sees two of the best sides in the world doing battle. With the Ashes only 8 months away I'm sure the interest in the Aussies will increase from here on in. Promises to be a great series with hopefully some good betting opportunities. Schedule: [TABLE=width: 630]

[TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%]Fri Nov 9 - Tue Nov 13 00:00 GMT | 10:00 local 00:00 GMT [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 1st Test - Australia v South Africa Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%] Thu Nov 22 - Mon Nov 26 00:00 GMT | 10:30 local 00:00 GMT [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 2nd Test - Australia v South Africa Adelaide Oval [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=width: 630, bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4][/TD] [/TR] [TR=class: FixOdi] [TD=width: 25%] Fri Nov 30 - Tue Dec 4 02:30 GMT | 10:30 local 02:30 GMT [/TD] [TD=width: 50%] 3rd Test - Australia v South Africa Western Australia Cricket Association Ground, Perth [/TD] [TD=width: 20%]
N/A
[/TD] [TD=width: 5%, align: right] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Australia vs South Africa - Test Series Series preview: 4pts Australia to win Test Series 15/8 Paddy Power I like Australia in this series. I know they are without Watson but I think they have enough in their ranks to cope without him and still prevail. Australia have a young but very quick attack and on these bouncy wickets I expect their batsmen to enjoy conditions. There’s no doubt this series is going to be tight but I expect to see three results and when the score is decided I think it will be Australia who come out on top in this series. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-south-africa-test-series-betting-australia-can-edge-a-high-quality-test-series-in-their-home-conditions

Re: Australia vs South Africa - Test Series Series top bat previews: 2pts R.Ponting Top Australia Series Batsman 5/1 Coral That leaves me with one option which is Ricky Ponting. Ponting’s career has gone downhill in the last year or two but he is the leading run scorer in Sheffield Shield cricket this season which shows he is in good form and he has a good record against South Africa. He averages over 50 at Brisbane and Adelaide while his record in Perth is none too shabby so at 5/1 the former Australian captain looks a fair price to me in this series given Ponting’s form and record. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-south-africa-test-series-betting-ricky-ponting-can-continue-his-sheffield-shield-form-in-test-series 3pts H.Amla Top South Africa Series Batsman 11/4 Boylesports Amla is a run machine at the minute and there is barely a series go by that he doesn’t fill his boots in these days and I expect him to score heavily here. He plays pace and spin equally as well and he’s comfortable on the front and back foot which will be important. Amla was the leading run scorer for South Africa when these sides met in South Africa last year and I expect him to be again here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-south-africa-test-series-betting-hashim-amla-can-churn-out-the-runs-into-another-high-profile-series

Re: Australia vs South Africa - Test Series 1st test preview: 4pts D.Warner Under 30.5 1st Inns runs 5/6 Ladbrokes Matches here this year have been low scoring with the new ball doing a lot of damage and I’m not convinced Warner has the technique to stand up to the likes of Steyn, Philander and Morkel on this wicket. He likes to go for his shots but coming from New South Wales he’s used to a more feathery bounce than you get at the Gabba and he plays a lot of square of the wicket shots so if one bounces a bit on him he could easily get a top edge. I would be surprised if Warner makes it to 31 in the first innings. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-south-africa-1st-test-betting-dave-warner-could-struggle-first-up-in-the-opening-test

Re: Australia vs South Africa - Test Series Looking forward to this series. Going in with 4 outrights. These three........

Series preview: 4pts Australia to win Test Series 15/8 Paddy Power I like Australia in this series. I know they are without Watson but I think they have enough in their ranks to cope without him and still prevail. Australia have a young but very quick attack and on these bouncy wickets I expect their batsmen to enjoy conditions. There’s no doubt this series is going to be tight but I expect to see three results and when the score is decided I think it will be Australia who come out on top in this series. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-south-africa-test-series-betting-australia-can-edge-a-high-quality-test-series-in-their-home-conditions
Series top bat previews: 2pts R.Ponting Top Australia Series Batsman 5/1 Coral That leaves me with one option which is Ricky Ponting. Ponting’s career has gone downhill in the last year or two but he is the leading run scorer in Sheffield Shield cricket this season which shows he is in good form and he has a good record against South Africa. He averages over 50 at Brisbane and Adelaide while his record in Perth is none too shabby so at 5/1 the former Australian captain looks a fair price to me in this series given Ponting’s form and record. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-south-africa-test-series-betting-ricky-ponting-can-continue-his-sheffield-shield-form-in-test-series 3pts H.Amla Top South Africa Series Batsman 11/4 Boylesports Amla is a run machine at the minute and there is barely a series go by that he doesn’t fill his boots in these days and I expect him to score heavily here. He plays pace and spin equally as well and he’s comfortable on the front and back foot which will be important. Amla was the leading run scorer for South Africa when these sides met in South Africa last year and I expect him to be again here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-south-africa-test-series-betting-hashim-amla-can-churn-out-the-runs-into-another-high-profile-series
and..... 3pts J.Pattinson Top Australia Series Bowler 7/2 Sportingbet James Pattinson is the leading wicket taker in the Sheffield Shield this season and he's played four first class matches without an injury which is a positive as you can never be sure if an injury is going to hit him during a series. I think he'll go well in this series as two of the matches are going to be played on quick bouncy tracks and with his height and accuracy around the off stump I expect him to gain a lot of wickets. The new ball is likely to be very important in this series and Pattinson looks like getting that so with the pace and bounce he will get coupled with the confidence of having overs and wickets behind him not to mention the added responsibility he's been given I think the 7/2 on Pattinson to be the top bowler for Australia in this series looks a good bet.

Re: Australia vs South Africa - Test Series Going with a few in the first test. This one.....

1st test preview: 4pts D.Warner Under 30.5 1st Inns runs 5/6 Ladbrokes Matches here this year have been low scoring with the new ball doing a lot of damage and I’m not convinced Warner has the technique to stand up to the likes of Steyn, Philander and Morkel on this wicket. He likes to go for his shots but coming from New South Wales he’s used to a more feathery bounce than you get at the Gabba and he plays a lot of square of the wicket shots so if one bounces a bit on him he could easily get a top edge. I would be surprised if Warner makes it to 31 in the first innings. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-south-africa-1st-test-betting-dave-warner-could-struggle-first-up-in-the-opening-test
and these..... 4pts No Six to beat hit on Day 1 6/4 Sportingbet I like the look of this. The Gabba is a big ground and South Africa don't hit a lot of sixes regardless of the format let alone in a test match and this Australia pace attack isn't for hitting all over the place. Warner would be the only natural danger were Australia to bat but the same thing applies with the South African bowling attack - good luck hitting that for six here. The main reason I like this bet is the ball has dominated the bat in all three Sheffield Shield matches here this season and with the overhead conditions that are forecast I see no reason why that won't be the case again here. I don't think the wicket will be easy to bat on for the first day or two and so big hits will be risks which won't be worth taking in my opinion. At 6/4 there's plenty of value for no six to be hit. 3pts Both teams to bat on Day 1 11/4 Sportingbet If the conditions do favour the bowlers as I expect them to do then there is a lot of value in this market. Think back a year to the series in South Africa and these two had two completed innings on the one day which shows the prospects for both sides batting first if the wicket does a bit and the ball moves about in the air or off the wicket. Both sides have long looking tails so if the new ball can get 3 or 4 wickets I would say there is a strong chance the rest of the order will go and so at 11/4 I think there's enough mileage in this one. 4pts AB de Villiers Performance Pts - 103&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. AB de Villiers has a line which is perfectly achievable here as I expect him to get a lot of points from catches in this match and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with him needing just 23 or 33pts with the bat after the points for catches have been added up. I expect the South African bowlers to catch a lot of edges and de Villiers gets the job done behind the stumps when they do. The South African one day captain is a quality batsman in his own right and he'll want to lay down a marker early on in the series. I would have no problem needing de Villiers to get 63 runs over two innings but I'm confident he'll need a lot less than that and I'm confident between a combination of the bat and the gloves he will cover a performance total of 103pts. 0.5pts ew V.Philander Top South Africa Batsman (1st Inns Only) 50/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1,2,3) Going on the theme of the new ball being potent in this match it could well be that someone down the order needs to come in and repair the innings and get their side up to a respectable if not challenging total. Australia certainly have the bowling attack to get Philander in early and Philander is certainly good enough to score a few runs as we saw in England in the summer. Of course there's the likes of Amla and Kallis who are expected to go well but this South Africa side isn't blessed with an entire batting line up of star players and there's one or two in the top order you look at and think they are vulnerable early. Philander can top score if the top order fail but at 50/1 I'm more than happy for him to place and he's got the 50-60 run innings in him which can see him do that whatever happens with the top order so he looks a blinding ew punt to me in this opening test.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Australia vs South Africa - Test Series Second test preview: 4pts H.Amla's Performance Pts - 92&Over 5/6 Bet365 Amla scored 142pts in Brisbane and I expect him to go even better here as the slightly lower bounce in the wicket should play right into his hands and when it does turn he’s shown all year he is a very good player of spin. Over two innings with the form he’s been in during 2012 I would be very surprised if he doesn’t make 92 runs on what is a good batting strip in Adelaide. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-south-africa-2nd-test-betting-hashim-amla-can-continue-his-extraordinary-form-in-adelaide

Re: Australia vs South Africa - Test Series Two for me in this second test. Might have a few more as we go along though.....

Second test preview: 4pts H.Amla's Performance Pts - 92&Over 5/6 Bet365 Amla scored 142pts in Brisbane and I expect him to go even better here as the slightly lower bounce in the wicket should play right into his hands and when it does turn he’s shown all year he is a very good player of spin. Over two innings with the form he’s been in during 2012 I would be very surprised if he doesn’t make 92 runs on what is a good batting strip in Adelaide. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-south-africa-2nd-test-betting-hashim-amla-can-continue-his-extraordinary-form-in-adelaide
4pts E.Cowan (+0.5 runs) to beat A.Petersen 5/6 Ladbrokes (1st Inns Only) Ed Cowan has the sort of technique which can see him go well and his square shots should provide him with plenty of runs in this match with the square boundaries being the smaller boundaries at the Adelaide Oval. Alviro Petersen had a good first innings in Brisbane but we saw his technical deficiencies in the second innings when he poked at a wide ball from James Pattinson and I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happens here too. Petersen does give chances and I think the Australian attack will get more out of this wicket than the South African one, certainly early doors at least. Being a left hander Cowan should find Imran Tahir easy enough to play as he'll be hitting with the spin which is a bonus too. Both first innings should be full of runs in this match but I think Cowan will outscore Petersen in the first innings.

Re: Australia vs South Africa - Test Series 3rd test preview: 4pts Australia 1st inns lead 10/11 Coral I’m pretty confident there will be a result in this match and having backed Australia before the series began I’m effectively already on Australia for this match and don’t see a need to go in again. Instead I will take Australia to have the first innings lead in this match. They have led at halfway in both test matches so far and by over 100 runs each time and if Jacques Kallis is ruled out of the match you would expect them to lead by even more in this game. Even with Kallis in Australia have the better batting line up overall and I expect them to lead at halfway again. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-south-africa-3rd-test-betting-australia-can-secure-a-third-first-innings-lead-in-the-series-in-perth

Re: Australia vs South Africa - Test Series 4 in total for me. No Ponting related bets although I wouldn't be surprised if he finds his form now the burden of retiring is off him.

3rd test preview: 4pts Australia 1st inns lead 10/11 Coral I’m pretty confident there will be a result in this match and having backed Australia before the series began I’m effectively already on Australia for this match and don’t see a need to go in again. Instead I will take Australia to have the first innings lead in this match. They have led at halfway in both test matches so far and by over 100 runs each time and if Jacques Kallis is ruled out of the match you would expect them to lead by even more in this game. Even with Kallis in Australia have the better batting line up overall and I expect them to lead at halfway again. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australia-vs-south-africa-3rd-test-betting-australia-can-secure-a-third-first-innings-lead-in-the-series-in-perth
4pts Both teams to bat on Day 1 13/8 Sportingbet I like the look of this bet. The first innings in test matches here in the last two matches have lasted 76 and 60 overs so both sides have batted on the opening day and with this wicket definitely favouring the bowlers I would expect wickets to fall in clutches throughout the match but especially on the first day. There's always pace and more bounce on this wicket than any other and coming off a featherbed in Adelaide to this in just three days does take a bit of getting used to and it is that which makes me believe both sides will bat on the opening day. 4pts M.Morkel's Performance Pts - 106&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Morne Morkel has had an excellent series so far and he'll go very well on this wicket with the pace and bounce that will be in it. The pace won't so much help him but the extra bounce will certainly benefit him and I would expect him to take plenty of wickets in this match. The rest of the South African attack has looked more than a touch under par so far in the series and even though Philander's back for this match it remains to be seen how good he'll be. There are question marks over him anyway. Realistically we're looking for 5 wickets from the big quick here which is well within his sights as if he gets those 5 wickets I'm confident he'll get the 6 runs he needs to cover this total. I expect Morkel to be the chief danger in this match so this line looks well within his reach. 0.5pts ew V.Philander Top South Africa Batsman (1st Inns Only) 50/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Perth is very much a wicket where the top order can get shot out but as the ball gets a bit old the wicket can get a bit easier to bat on so I think someone down the order could easily bag a place if not a top score. We saw in England that Philander can bat and with possible doubts over Kallis in this match even if he plays then Philander is likely to play a bigger role with the bat than he normally would. It is important for South Africa that Philander scores runs as he's in that key position at 7 or 8 depending on if Kallis plays and even from that position I think there's mileage in an each way bet on him here.