** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14

Aidymac

Ohhhhh, can't wait! :loon Higher stakes for the majors. Had a good year last year with 3 of the 4 major winners, and Poulter e/w in the PGA! Let's hope 2013 is even half as good. *Jason Dufner - 20 Points WIN @ 50/1 BetVictor* I definately think this guy can win a major. He is ranked 9th in the world, has a scoring average of 69.89, has won two PGA events in 2012, the Byron Nelson Championship and the Zurich Classic of New Orleans. He put in a massiver performance in the US Open this year where he finished T4. He was T24 in this years US Masters and T27 in the PGA Championship. He was also T31 in the British Open, so he has performed with great credit in all the majors this year. One thing that tested his mentality this year was the Ryder Cup, and he was excellent in the last day where he won his singles match with a great display of golf. He is one of the most improved golfers on tour, and i think 50/1 is good value for him to win next years US Masters. *Zach Johnson - 20 Points WIN @ 100/1 BetVictor* I think this price is huge, i was expecting him to be 50/1 at the very very most. He is quite short off the tee, which can be a disadvantage, but he keeps the ball in play, and his iron play is one of the best on tour, and on tough major courses, staying in play is absolutely vital. He has won 9 times on the PGA Tour, and is having a superb 2012, having won 2 events on tour this year, the Crowne Plaza Invitational and the John Deere Classic. He is a birdie machine when he gets going, is a terrific putter which is a big advantage, and he won the Masters back in 2007, so 100/1 looks absolutely massive for a guy that also performed so well in the Ryder Cup this year. *Jim Furyk - 10 Points WIN @ 80/1 BetVictor* Jim has turned into a bit of a bottler in recent times, he has thrown away a number of events in the past 2 years, and will be keen to get rid of his demons. There is no doubt he still is extremely capable of winning majors. He threw away the US Open this year after looking like he could have wrapped it up on the final day, and he bottled it. He also was a big favourite going into last weekends McGladrey Classic, and blew up on the final day. He also threw away his match in the Ryder Cup against Sergio Garcia. But he is still playing terrific golf in general, he was 11th in the Masters, T4 in the US Open, T34 in the British Open and T42 in the PGA Championship. He was T24 in the Masters last year, T10 in 2009, T13 in 2007, T22 in 2006, 4th in 2003, T6 in 2001, T14 in 2000, T14 in 1999, 4th in 1998, so has performed great golf here in the past and is worth a bet at the price.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 Very early there Aidy. Not sure how the new season is going to affect prices and what not but can make a case for all 3 there, particularly Dufner. He's really got the iron game to succeed at Augusta. Not having a bet yet but I've really got it in my head that the player I want to back for the Masters is Keegan Bradley. He's one of the most clutch putters on tour and when he's in contention he has great mental strength to get the job done. Won his first ever major in a playoff, nailed a 20 footer to make the playoff of this year's Northern Trust and made some key, key putts en route to winning this year's WGC Bridgestone (another Furyk choke for the year).

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14

Very early there Aidy. Not sure how the new season is going to affect prices and what not but can make a case for all 3 there, particularly Dufner. He's really got the iron game to succeed at Augusta. Not having a bet yet but I've really got it in my head that the player I want to back for the Masters is Keegan Bradley. He's one of the most clutch putters on tour and when he's in contention he has great mental strength to get the job done. Won his first ever major in a playoff, nailed a 20 footer to make the playoff of this year's Northern Trust and made some key, key putts en route to winning this year's WGC Bridgestone (another Furyk choke for the year).
Keegan definately another with a shout Crouchy. The thing about the PGA Tour nowadays is it is the most competitive it has probably ever been, and you can make a case for 20-30 golfers for the majors, the standard is so high. Dufner is a terrific iron player, and probably had his best ever year in 2012, i know it is early but i like to put on a few quid when i have it so it builds up to a big bet come the time, instead of forking out a few hundred all at once, you don't miss it when you do it bit by bit.

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 If you ask me whoever lines up in this they are all playing for places if Rory McIlroy continues with his improvement/progression in 2013 which is very likely not quite the finished article yet but getting there all the time, he just keeps getting better & better playing some awesome golf and learning all the time, different gravy if you ask me but i would say that and i think he will totally dominate the majors next year, can't wait. On the down side his odds will be way to crapped to bet on, well for me anyway.

If you ask me whoever lines up in this they are all playing for places if Rory McIlroy continues with his improvement/progression in 2013 which is very likely not quite the finished article yet but getting there all the time' date=' he just keeps getting better & better playing some awesome golf and learning all the time, different gravy if you ask me but i would say that and i think he will totally dominate the majors next year, can't wait. On the down side his odds will be way to crapped to bet on, well for me anyway.[/quote'] 1 tournament i am very confident he won't win is the British Open. The others, who knows, but for me, he will do incredibly well to win more than 1 major next year.

• 5 months later...

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 can you merge my other thread if possible Here are my thoughts This is important for my final selections, 1st & 2nd this season so far Shell Houston Open D A Points Billy Horschel, Henrik Stenson Arnold Palmer Invitational Tiger Woods Justin Rose Tampa Bay Championship Kevin Streelman Boo Weekley WCC Tiger Woods Steve Stricker Honda Classic Michael Thompsn Geoff Ogilvy WGC Matchplay Matt Kuchar Hunter Mahan Northern Trust Open John Merrick Charlie Beljan Pebble Beach Pro am Brand Snedeker Chris Kirk Phoenix Open Phil Mickelson Brandt Snedeker Farmers Insurance Tiger Woods Brandt Snedeker, Josh Teater Humana Challenge Brian Gay David Lingmerth, Charles Howell III Sony Open Russell Henley Tim Clark Tournament of Champions Dustin Johnson Steve Stricker Alfred Dunhill Championship Charl Schwartzel K Broberg Volvo Golf Champions Louis Oosthuizen Scott Jamieson Abu Dhabi Jamie Donaldson Justin Rose Dubai Desert Classic Stephen Gallacher Richard Sterne Qatar Masters Chris Wood S Garcia/G Coetzee Joburg Open Richard Sterne Charl Schwartzel Top 10 finishes over 9 years Woods 7 * Mickleson 7 * Top 20 finishes over 9 years Woods 8 * Mickleson 7 * Driving distance ranks well [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR] [TD]RANK THIS WEEK[/TD] [TD]RANK LAST WEEK[/TD] [TD]PLAYER[/TD] [TD]ROUNDS[/TD] [TD]AVG.[/TD] [TD]TOTAL DISTANCE[/TD] [TD]TOTAL DRIVES[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]1[/TD] [TD]1[/TD] [TD]Colsaerts, Nicolas[/TD] [TD]19[/TD] [TD]307.2[/TD] [TD]9,829[/TD] [TD]32[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]2[/TD] [TD]2[/TD] [TD]List, Luke[/TD] [TD]25[/TD] [TD]306.9[/TD] [TD]15,343[/TD] [TD]50[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]3[/TD] [TD]4[/TD] [TD]Woodland, Gary[/TD] [TD]27[/TD] [TD]305.1[/TD] [TD]16,473[/TD] [TD]54[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]4[/TD] [TD]3[/TD] [TD]Garrigus, Robert[/TD] [TD]30[/TD] [TD]304.0[/TD] [TD]15,806[/TD] [TD]52[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]5[/TD] [TD]10[/TD] [TD]Johnson, Dustin[/TD] [TD]26[/TD] [TD]303.5[/TD] [TD]15,177[/TD] [TD]50[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] 1st 2 in GIR stats [TABLE=width: 100%] [TR] [TD]RANK THIS WEEK[/TD] [TD]RANK LAST WEEK[/TD] [TD]PLAYER[/TD] [TD]ROUNDS[/TD] [TD]%[/TD] [TD]GREENS HIT[/TD] [TD]# HOLES[/TD] [TD]RELATIVE/PAR[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]1[/TD] [TD]999[/TD] [TD]Stenson, Henrik[/TD] [TD]15[/TD] [TD]77.78[/TD] [TD]196[/TD] [TD]252[/TD] [TD]-0.23[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]2[/TD] [TD]999[/TD] [TD]Stricker, Steve[/TD] [TD]15[/TD] [TD]75.76[/TD] [TD]150[/TD] [TD]198[/TD] [TD]-0.33[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]3[/TD] [TD]6[/TD] [TD]Haas, Bill[/TD] [TD]31[/TD] [TD]72.96[/TD] [TD]394[/TD] [TD]540[/TD] [TD]-0.26[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]4[/TD] [TD]1[/TD] [TD]Snedeker, Brandt[/TD] [TD]23[/TD] [TD]72.95[/TD] [TD]302[/TD] [TD]414[/TD] [TD]-0.35[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]5[/TD] [TD]3[/TD] [TD]Cantlay, Patrick[/TD] [TD]17[/TD] [TD]72.55[/TD] [TD]222[/TD] [TD]306[/TD] [TD]-0.23[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Previous masters form counts Woods and Mickelson stand out here with top 10 & 20 finishes literally every year for the last 8. Last 8 years winning distance 3-2-2-P-1-P-3-P-3-2-P (P for play off) Players under consideration Nicolas Colsearts – Masters debut, 113.0 Betfar Fedex rank 111th Dustin Johnson – best Masters finish T30th 2009 33/1 Hills - Fedex rank 6th Henrik Stenson – best Masters finish T17th 2008 61.0 Betfair Fedex rank 38th Steve Stricker – Best Masters finish 6th 2009 70.0 Betfair Fedex Rank 7th Brandt Snedker - best Masters finish T3rd 2008 39.0 Betfair Fedex Rank 2nd Justin Rose – best masters finish 5th 2007 20/1 B365 Fedex rank 18th Jason Day – best masters finish 2nd 2011 61.0 Betfair Fedex rank 23rd

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 I am a relative newbie to golf betting. Whats your opinion on Charl Shwartzels chances this week? He has been in decent enough form this year making the cut 5 from 5 time and finishing in the top 25 on 4 occasions. He has 2 top 10 finishes and his win in this tournament in 2011 is still fresh in the memory.

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 The other one I am interested in is Jason Day. He had a poor season last year although picked his form up a little towards the end of the year. I think he has started this season off much better despite playing poorly in his last couple of starts. Went very close a couple of years ago in this...

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 1pt e/w Dustin Johnson 33/1~ Been shaping up well this year had a chance a couple weeks ago to win but faded late on, i really think this big hitter will go very well here. 1pt e/w Ricki Fowler 50/1~ Bags of talent has the game to win here but unfortunately also has the game to miss the cut! The 23yo needs to knuckle down here at a course that suits 2pts e/w Lee Westwood 28/1 ~Has been getting himself in good position but not finishing the job but will be well pumped up for the first major which is the main aim. I think he's got a very good chance of a major this year just needs to be at the top of his game in the putting department.

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 Love the Masters. Tiger favourite and for good reason, but i don't think much value is to be had at 4/1. Would love rory to win it and he looked great last week, but still a bit tempremental this season and 8/1 isn't great really. Would be great for him to do it though, and will probably end up backing him anyway for the fun of it. In terms of Value, Dustin Johnson at 30/1 looks good value. Has good driving distance and provided his putting is on form could have what it takes here. Paul Lawrie is on the form of his life after that round and win in texas so 250/1 seems a bit large even if the course doesn't particular favour him, but he is a consistent straight driver of the ball.

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 World Rankings added as essential to be in top 50 to win this major. Nicolas Colsearts – Masters debut, 110/1 Bet365 WR 42nd Dustin Johnson – best Masters finish T30th 2009 33/1 Stan James WR 19th Henrik Stenson – best Masters finish T17th 2008 66/1 Bet365 WR 41st Steve Stricker – Best Masters finish 6th 2009 66/1 Bet365 WR 8th Brandt Snedker - best Masters finish T3rd 2008 40/1 Bet365 WR 5th Justin Rose – best masters finish 5th 2007 20/1 Stan James WR 3rd Jason Day – best masters finish 2nd 2011 60/1 BetVictor WR 36th Cover all the above 1pt ew on each one In terms of consistency Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are always around the top 10 or 20 here so dont rule them out, however you may get better odds during the tournament if they are still in with a shout going into round 4. For 1st round leader, i am taking a punt at the following: K J Choi 66/1 Bet365 1pt win Robert Garrigus 125/1 BetVictor 1pt win Jason Day 50/1 Bet365 1pt win Ian Poulter 50/1 Ladbrokes 1pt win

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 Sadly due to work commitments, exams and all that other fun stuff, I dont really have time to do the trend analysis every week...but on LAMPS request (and the fact that I checked in to see what people were saying about the Masters) I thought I'd throw the old trends out there and see what they say... [TABLE=width: 1099]

[TR] [TD][/TD] [TD]Profile[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]1[/TD] [TD]Made the cut in the previous Masters[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]2[/TD] [TD]Won on US soil[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]3[/TD] [TD]Top 10 this year on a major tour[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]4[/TD] [TD]Have 5 or more wins on the major tours combined [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]5[/TD] [TD]Must have a previous top 10 in a major[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]6[/TD] [TD]Must have won in last 2 calendar years[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]7[/TD] [TD]Top 25 in a major last year[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]8[/TD] [TD]Didn’t win the week before the Masters[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]9[/TD] [TD]Ranked in the top 50 in the world[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]10[/TD] [TD]Not Australian![/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD][/TD] [TD][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD][/TD] [TD]Rationale[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]1a[/TD] [TD]No player has won on their debut since 1979.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]1b[/TD] [TD]Since Fuzzy Zueller won in 1979, every Masters Champion has played the year before.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]1c[/TD] [TD]Since that debut, every winner since has at least made the cut previously.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]1d[/TD] [TD]Only one Champion since 1979 has missed the cut the previous year - Tiger Woods in 1997.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]2 [/TD] [TD]Only Charl Schwartzel has made the Masters his first win on US soil since Bernard Langer in 1985.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]3[/TD] [TD]20 of the last 22 champions had already had a top 10 that year[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]4[/TD] [TD]Since 1980, only 3 winners have had less than five wins on one of the major tours previous to their win. Tiger Woods, Zach Johnson and Bubba Watson.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]5a[/TD] [TD]Only 3 players since 1970 have won without a Top 10 in a Major to their name - Zach Johnson (T17), Tiger Woods (T22) and Charl Schwartzel (T15).[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]5b[/TD] [TD]In the last 21 years, 15 of the winners have had previous top 10s at the Masters[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]6[/TD] [TD]Have won within the past 3 years - last 25 winners (Zach Johnson almost to the day); 24 of these within 2 years[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]7[/TD] [TD]8 out of last 13 champions had a top 10 in a major the previous year; 28 of last 30 winners had a top 25 in a major last year.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]8[/TD] [TD]Only 2 winners of the Masters have won the week before the tournament.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]9[/TD] [TD]Since the rankings began in 1986, only 2 players (Zach Johnson and Angel Cabrera) were ranked outside the world's top 50 when winning.[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right]10[/TD] [TD]No aussie has ever won the Masters[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] So who does that leave? [TABLE=width: 184] [TR] [TD] Tiger Woods[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Rory McIlroy[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Justin Rose[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Luke Donald[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Brandt Snedeker[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Steve Stricker[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Phil Mickelson[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Matt Kuchar[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Ian Poulter[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Lee Westwood[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Bubba Watson[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Sergio Garcia[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Graeme McDowell[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Hunter Mahan[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Nick Watney[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Jim Furyk[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Zach Johnson[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] Martin Kaymer Do with this what you will! GL[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 Thank you for stopping by Hornet18. Been a longtime follower of PL and I punt alot like you looking for angles of the beaten path.Good luck with your studies.Sorry I have no input on the masters.

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 1pt E/W Jason Day 66/1 Coral Jason Days round last year can have a line crossed through it since his wife was about to give birth and he can be excused for not being fully focused on golf. I prefer to look at his round on his only other visit in 2011 when shooting a 12 under par score for 2nd place. That score would have won 8 of the last 10 Masters so he is arguably unlucky not to have finished on top that day. His scores that year were 72-64-72-68, and I think you have to sit up and take notice of anyone who can shoot at 64 at Augusta, not many have that kind of round in their locker. Furthermore to have shot no higher than 72 is a sign that the course holds no fears for him. Recent form is promising too - Jason Day has played 7 events this year, made the cut every time and had 3 top 10 finishes from those 7 starts. His career record is 1 in 5 top 10 finishes so to have bagged 3 in 7 suggests he's in good nick. He's also in good shape on many of the stats that are seen as favourable for being competitive in the Masters as follows : Driving Distance 13th Strokes gained putting - 38th Scrambling - 23rd Par 5 birdie or better leaders - 12th Sand Save Percentage - 7th I've also read a preview somewhere recently which suggested that due to the nature of the undulating greens, the ability to have a high trajectory on irons played to the green is a big plus so that the ball can be landed on a sixpence so to speak - Day is ranked 1st in apex height so hopefully that's another positive. Good luck all :ok

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 On an additional note, no winner over the last 15 years has been over 40, and 20 of the last 21 winners have previously had a round in the 60s on the course... The age rule would take out Mickelson, Stricker and Furyk from the list, and the round in the 60s rule would take out Martin Kaymer. GL!

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 Have been following through on Keegs and have backed him from between 26s-50s throughout the lead up to this event. I think putting will be so key and for mine he's so great under pressure -- just a great clutch putter. Also backing Bill Haas at 90s -- he's had a good lead up and there's a trend between winners of the Northern Trust and The Masters -- even some surprises at the Masters have good results in the Northern Trust the previous 2 tournaments (Mike Weir, Len Mattiace, Rory Sabattini etc.). Haas has great form in the Northern Trust and like him as the more outside secondary bet to my primary go on Keegan.

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 1st round leader - Henrik STenson @ 50/1 played well recently to get into this, often a quick starter not sure if he has a 4 good rounds in him, seems to like it round here could start well. Rory to miss the cut @ 6/1 could look stupid by sunday and hell go on and win by 5 shots but still looks to be struggling with his game imo, couldnt beat a poor field last week. Masters record isnt all that and if he struggles to get into his game early on he could be find it tough going this week. Justin Rose top Enlishman @ 7/4 shows good form round here. in good form this season this looks a nice price, Poulter and donald I don't give much chance this week david lynns first time round here and that leaves westwood 7/4 against westwood will take that all day long. A few fun bets to be had. No originals for my outwright selection this week but will be cheering on Woods and Mickelson. Good luck all

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 Tournament preview: 2pts ew B.Watson to win The Masters 40/1 Stan James (1/4 1-5) 1pt ew B.Snedeker to win The Masters 40/1 Bet365 (1/4 1-5) One man who I expect to go very well this week is the defending champion Bubba Watson. It can be said that this isn’t a title that is defended very often but we saw what this event means to Bubba in his press conference earlier in the week and he has everything you need to tame Augusta, if it can be tamed. In fact no person’s game could possibly set up to a course better than Bubba’s to this one. Those booming cut drives will be perfect for around here while he has the length to attack the par 5’s. Most of the scoring is done on the par 5’s so that is massively important and at 40/1 I’ll take the defending champion this week. Another player who I think will go well this week is Brandt Snedeker. Before injuring himself Snedeker was playing the best golf of anyone and while he hasn’t really performed since it is refreshing to know he is at least fit again. I think he could be a dark horse this week. There is no few better putters in the game at present and putting is massive on this golf course. He’s pretty straight too and if it wasn’t for his injury he would be around 20/1 this week. As it is he’s double that price and he’s worth an each way punt just in case he recovers the form of earlier in the year. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/us-masters-betting-bubba-watson-can-put-up-a-strong-defence-of-his-title-at-augusta-20130410

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 One more for me Rory McIlroy has drifted out to 12/1 (1pt win) and is just about backable at that price yes there is still question marks over his form but was impressive last Sunday and with this being a major he will be 100% focused/up for it and can kick on now. Woods 4/1 McIlroy 12/1 i Know Woods has been in better form but McIlroy 3 times his price confuses me. McIlroy looked relaxed and ready to fire at today press conference.

Your all missing the obvious..Tiger woods 4/1 most bookies, Surely he is back. -2 first day, -6 second day, -10 third day, coasting to a winning -13 under. 14/1 to be leading on the first day aint to shabby.
Woods tradistional doesnt start well at the masters, could be worth backing him after day 1 if he drifts a point or two.

I know it's only fun but you would be extremely f....d off of u backed van pelt for par 3 contest and he let's his kids play once he goes into the lead!!!
Don't think they take betting for the Par 3 contest?

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 Then yes I would be rather peeed off had I backed Bo Van Pelt and he let his kids play for him... although he probably realised that if he won then he had no chance of winning the Masters

Re: The US Masters 2013 - April 11/April 14 Yeah that's exactly why he did it!!! Definately one to remember though , never bet on the par 3 contest ... ..

Then yes I would be rather peeed off had I backed Bo Van Pelt and he let his kids play for him... although he probably realised that if he won then he had no chance of winning the Masters